Originally posted on 12/15/2022:

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
Correa has a combined WAR of 10.6 over his last 2 seasons. He’s not Judge but the AAV is way less than Judge and Correa is 2 years younger.

If I was a Giants fan I would love this signing.
With all due respect, and I do respect your contributions here, this is a horrible signing.

You're paying an average of 27 million per year every year until he's 41 years old.
What has Correa done to warrant this titanic contract?

In eight seasons, seven of them playing for stacked Houston teams never led the league in any counting or sabermetric statistics. Not even coming remotely close to leading the league in any category.

This is his eight year career slash line.
19/69/.269

He's never driven in 100 RBI, he's never hit more than 26 HR's.
He strikes out 100+ times a season...

Speed?
He's stolen six bases in his last six seasons.

This is what he does well, he gets on base at a .357 rate, by no means eye popping but better than league average, and he plays a solid SS, by no means Ozzie Smith defense, but solid.

Absurd contract for a SS whose main attribute is his fielding which will begin to deuterate in four years.
Jeter was just a mediocre fielder at age 34-35, Ripken, ditto.

And Correa ain't Jeter, or Cal, or Ozzie.

At age 35 SF will be paying close to 30 million for a 18 HR, 66 RBI, .270 SS with no stolen bases and slightly better than average defensive skills.

I think the NYY contract to Judge was absurd, but you can at least make a case for that money.
This Correa contract is ludicrous, beyond absurd.

And as a die hard KC Royals fan, this remains one of my all time favorite moments.