Originally posted on 05/20/2022:

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
Royals??

I think I'm the only KC Royals fan in New England.

Same old shit, different smell.
What good is a team stacked with hitting and speed when they can't pitch a lick.
It's the bullpen era now, and KC neglected to address the bullpen depth entering the season.

And when the stacked lineup fails to hit, and the bullpen is bottom five in OBA (allowing baserunners to reach base) and bottom ten in homeruns allowed, is it any wonder why KC is day in, day out, one of biggest bankroll killers in the game.

2022 is on a record pace for bullpen innings pitched.

10040 IP total.
5670 IP by starters
4370 IP by starters

56%/44% SP to RP ratio

KC's SP to RP ratio is higher.
173 IP starters/150 IP relievers
54%/46% ratio.

For all intents and purposes half the pitching game is now bullpen, unheard of before 2020, if you're not handicapping the back end, you're not going to win betting baseball.

Trust me, I had to overhaul my handicapping approach totally.
For the past 25 years it was handicap the SP first, then everything else.

And if you're betting first five innings with teams starting aces, books have the drop on you as they juice those first five innings.

The only time I consider a first five inning bet with KC is with Greinke or Keller, and unless I can get +180 on a game line I think KC should be +160, I wouldn't consider betting them.

My site I have a more detailed breakdown on relief pitching 40 games in, who has it, who doesn't, the whole nine yards.

Regarding the Twins, they'll crash and burn come mid August.
Long story short, they're over using their relievers.
It's almost a 50/50 split there, those relievers can't handle that workload long term.

New baseball era, same story.
Pitching wins, always has, always will.

Now it's not just starting pitching wins, it's overall staff pitching.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.