PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Chargers fate was sealed with the Marty mistake

I knew from day 1 of the hiring of Norv Turner that SanDiego's chance of stardom was vanished into thin air Who is Norv Turner?

I will tell you who Norv Turner is: He is and was and always will be an unsuccessful HEAD coach. Norv is a great coordinator and nothing more and now that the window is closed for their Superbowl run I can only say shame on you Chargers orginization.

Bottom line Chargers ORG. biggest mistake since their short time of existence was to let Marty Schottenheimer go because he is the greatest and most successful Head-coach bar none not to win a Superbowl ever! Marty's one and only problem was his everlasting curse of bad luck which has shown it's ugly head consistently through his career as a Head coach at the most inconvenient times. Poor Marty I can honestly say a man of this statute and greatness does not deserve this curse to any degree. Marty single-handedly resurrected three NFL franchises from the depths of hell to make them winning organizations in record breaking time and they were SanDiego,KanasCity,and Cleveland.

First Sandiego: he is the reason for the Chargers even having a chance to get to the big one because of the depth he built in this team in the short time he was here and now the connections of Marty are starting to fade rapidly along with the window of opportunity of the Superbowl.

Kansas City: Marty also built this team from the ground up all in a very short period of time and handed the keys over to a winning Head coach Dick Vermeil who already had 2 experiences with the Superbowl under his belt 1 in which he won and 1 that he lost. We all witnessed what happened to the Chiefs after Marty left. Yes the Chiefs basically deconstructed as fast as they were constructed by the great Marty Schottenheimer.

Cleveland this is where Marty I truly believe inherited his dreadful run of cursed bad luck which brings me to oh I would say about 22 years ago I was watching a fairly new game show called Jeopardy and I can picture this vividly. Alex Trebec hurling out the words name this city otherwise (known as HELLTOWN) the question was and I will never forget this for as long as I live because I was a student in downtown Cleveland at the time living and witnessing what this city was all about. This contestant mumbling the words in doubt I might add (what is CLEVELAND!) then without hesitation Alex saying in a commanding voice (THAT IS CORRECT) there is so much truth to this accusation I could write a book trying to explain it all but you will just have to take my word for it trust me it is a HELLTOWN!! for many reasons.
    Can you now see why I believe that this is where Marty became cursed?? yes yes yes yes yes yes YES!!!
    Marty came to the most unsuccessful in all aspects of life in general the city of Cleveland to make a very unsuccessful franchise in the Superbowl era the Browns organization successful in the worst possible depressed oozing with negativity circumstance in the NFL and Holy Shit he did it!! To me this body of work was without a doubt in my mind greater than winning a Superbowl but the problem is the price he had to pay which was picking up the lifelong curse handed out by Cleveland. Marty was never able to break free from this stranglehold to this very day.

The curse of Bad luck
    was the only factor keeping all three of these franchises from being Superbowl champions or at least in the great dance. Yes Marty's Coaching days passed him by with unfulfilled Superbowl succession only because of his loss of ability to relate with his players but he should of been promoted to a higher position to where he would have not been seen but heard such as a great Wizard behind the curtain controlling the team through other willing participants.This my friends would have been without question the Chargers organization's greatest chance for stardom.

One of Marty's students Bill Cowher who was able to lift his head out of this dreadful curse of big game failure. This curse was so strong it Actually took Bill 15 years to Defeat this disease of loss WOW! Now that is a solid curse that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I think Bill was able to pull himself from this ugly grip of death because of The success of the Rooney family which is proven to withstand all test of time. You see the only way possible to get rid of the monkey on your back demoralizing will draining negative to the fullest extent curse of bad luck is to have a force on your side that is greater than the one you are trying to defeat which in Coach Cowher's case the astronomical success of the Rooney family which was the silver bullet that finally destroyed the Marty curse once and for all.
    If you do not think this is true why was Coach Tomlin able to win the Superbowl in only his second season as a Headcoach

Long story short If I owned the Chargers organization I would book the first flight to Pittsburgh to schedule a meeting with the Rooney family and express myself on how I believe that the Rooney's are the sole reason for the over abundance of suceess that the Pittsburgh Steelers organization has had as a whole and learn from the great ones on how I could through time become just or partially as successful as the Steeler ORG. I would be light years ahead of where I'm at in this moment of time with my Chargers. if I only could swallow my worthless pride to take this first step

6_Feet_Under
    6_Feet_Under's Avatar Become A Pro!

Shottenheimer 5-13 lifetime in playoff games.Far from being the greatest coach never to be in a superbowl.Maybe that's why he's looking for work cause he's so great.Marty and Norv are both losers.Cursed?How about just not good enough.Regular season wins don't mean shit if you never bring home any hardware.You forgot he was also a loser in Washington for a year.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by 6_Feet_Under View Post
    Shottenheimer 5-13 lifetime in playoff games.Far from being the greatest coach never to be in a superbowl.Maybe that's why he's looking for work cause he's so great.Marty and Norv are both losers.Cursed?How about just not good enough.Regular season wins don't mean shit if you never bring home any hardware.You forgot he was also a loser in Washington for a year.
    Who is YOUR pick? I think Marty gets that title because most coaches can't survive in the NFL as long as he did without at least getting to the Super Bowl. There literally aren't many other names on that list that have even gotten close to 13 playoff runs without getting there. Norv Turner might be #2 on that list, unless we somehow consider Paul Brown and George Halas.

I don't think Marty is looking for work. He's pushing towards 70 years old.

Technically, Marty wasn't a loser in Washington, he went 8-8.

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

Marty = Turner = SHIT!

netinfo
    netinfo's Avatar Become A Pro!

I will tell you who Norv Turner is: He is and was and always will be an unsuccessful HEAD coach. Norv is a great coordinator and nothing more and now that the window is closed for their Superbowl run I can only say shame on you Chargers orginization.
    If LT was still the main face of the franchise, then yeah, I'd say the window has closed, but it's no longer LT's team. It's no longer a run-oriented Martyball style of a team. It is now Philip's team, a pass-oriented team, just like in the days of Don "Air" Coryell with Fouts, Winslow, and Joiner, and so as long as we have Rivers as our QB, and have him surrounded by the likes of Gates and Jackson, then the window most certainly continues to be open for San Diego.

The Chargers are looking to develop Rivers into a brady-like manning-like QB, and this is where Norv comes in, in his ability to further develop Rivers into one of the best QBs in the league.

netinfo

6_Feet_Under

Well Slacker I cannot pick a coach for that since "great coach" and "never have won a superbowl" don't belong in the same sentence.Sure Marty won a lot of football games.At the end of the day though in sports you either win it all or you're just a "good" coach.If you call people like Marty great then you lessen the word.In that case Marv Levy,Bud Grant,and Dan Reeves are all great coaches.At least those 3 guys took teams to the superbowl numerous times.Marty has zero appearances so is in no way great.Brown and Halas are both great coaches because they both won numerous championships before the superbowl existed.As for Marty looking for work my sarcasm must not translate well on here.As for his Washington stint I consider that being a loser not even making the playoffs and being fired after 1 year.We could debate something like this for weeks and that is what makes sports "great".

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by netinfo View Post
    If LT was still the main face of the franchise, then yeah, I'd say the window has closed, but it's no longer LT's team. It's no longer a run-oriented Martyball style of a team. It is now Philip's team, a pass-oriented team, just like in the days of Don "Air" Coryell with Fouts, Winslow, and Joiner, and so as long as we have Rivers as our QB, and have him surrounded by the likes of Gates and Jackson, then the window most certainly continues to be open for San Diego. The Chargers are looking to develop Rivers into a brady-like manning-like QB, and this is where Norv comes in, in his ability to further develop Rivers into one of the best QBs in the league. netinfo
    Hate to piss on your parade of enthusiasm but they never one a Superbowl now did they?

6_Feet_Under

Marty could be considered the best sobber of all time though.Dick Vermeil would be a close second in that category.

6_Feet_Under

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Hate to piss on your parade of enthusiasm but they never one a Superbowl now did they?
    They haven't won anything yet,but that doesn't mean their window is closed.Their defense is much better than those Fouts teams.They still have a nice core of young players.With a little tweaking they'll be there again next year.You really think they're done Pauly?I think that's a bit premature.

netinfo

No they didn't, nor any other Charger coach and team for that matter, but that doesn't erase the fact that Air Coryell and company popularized the pass-happy style of football that we see in the modern league, and from which the pass-oriented SB winning teams like the Patriots and Colts have benefited.

Rivers is still quite young, and has a lot of time to perfect this pass-happy offense for the years to come. It's not an impossibility for Norv and Rivers to win a SB in the future. It took a while for Dungy and Manning to win one, but they did it, and I don't see why Norv and Rivers can not accomplish the same thing in the future.

netinfo

slacker00

I agree with netinfo. This team will be strong for years. Rivers is a top QB. Norv is a capable coach.

They need a stud RB in the draft. LT just isn't the guy anymore, Sproles isn't the answer either.

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by 6_Feet_Under View Post
    They haven't won anything yet,but that doesn't mean their window is closed.Their defense is much better than those Fouts teams.They still have a nice core of young players.With a little tweaking they'll be there again next year.You really think they're done Pauly?I think that's a bit premature.
    No they didn't, nor any other Charger coach and team for that matter, but that doesn't erase the fact that Air Coryell and company popularized the pass-happy style of football that we see in the modern league, and from which the pass-oriented SB winning teams like the Patriots and Colts have benefited. Rivers is still quite young, and has a lot of time to perfect this pass-happy offense for the years to come. It's not an impossibility for Norv and Rivers to win a SB in the future. It took a while for Dungy and Manning to win one, but they did it, and I don't see why Norv and Rivers can not accomplish the same thing in the future. netinfo
    I am just stating the fact to choke like they did at home with all the advantages pointing to their side was a definite mental block on top of their to many to mention which will hinder them when in doubt for years to come.
    I am simply just going with proven history and nothing more.

slacker00

No they didn't, nor any other Charger coach and team for that matter, but that doesn't erase the fact that Air Coryell and company popularized the pass-happy style of football that we see in the modern league, and from which the pass-oriented SB winning teams like the Patriots and Colts have benefited.

Rivers is still quite young, and has a lot of time to perfect this pass-happy offense for the years to come. It's not an impossibility for Norv and Rivers to win a SB in the future. It took a while for Dungy and Manning to win one, but they did it, and I don't see why Norv and Rivers can not accomplish the same thing in the future.

netinfo
    When Manning won his, they caught a perfect storm of having a great running game and defense like he never had in any of his other years. Manning didn't win that ring, the team did.

Same with Elway. He got his rings during his lowest QB output years of his career. QB output is fine, but it's the running game and defense that really wins the big games.

Even the teams like the Rams when they won theirs, they had a decent defense and running game, in addition to their "greatest show on turf" passing attack.

slacker00

One thing I'm seeing about the Chargers watching the replay of the Jet-Chargers is the PENALTIES. I noticed this in other playoff losses as well. WTF. Vincent Jackson kicking the challenge flag? I saw a head butt after the play (Cooper?) personal foul earlier. Are there some real idiots on this team? Is it coaching? I noticed this same trend under both Norv and Marty.

netinfo

When Manning won his, they caught a perfect storm of having a great running game and defense like he never had in any of his other years. Manning didn't win that ring, the team did.

Same with Elway. He got his rings during his lowest QB output years of his career. QB output is fine, but it's the running game and defense that really wins the big games.

Even the teams like the Rams when they won theirs, they had a decent defense and running game, in addition to their "greatest show on turf" passing attack.
    I won't argue with the necessity of having a strong running game and a top defense. And I agree with your earlier comment that the Chargers need a new young talented RB, to balance their offense. One can only go so far with an average defense and a one-dimensional offense. The Chargers need more to win the big one.

One thing I'm seeing about the Chargers watching the replay of the Jet-Chargers is the PENALTIES. I noticed this in other playoff losses as well. WTF. Vincent Jackson kicking the challenge flag? I saw a head butt after the play personal foul earlier. Are there some real idiots on this team? Is it coaching? I noticed this same trend under both Norv and Marty.
    And yeah, it's weird how this game mirrored the poor quality of playing and decision-making that the Bolts had against the Pats in the playoffs under Marty. The same old stupid mistakes, like the headbutting for example, happened again in this game. It was just an awful game to watch for Charger backers, a real deja-vu type of game.

netinfo

PAULYPOKER

You see guys the fact is the majority of Super bowl winning coaches are Defensive minded such as: Mike Tomlin1, Tony Dungi1, Bill Cower1,Bill Belichick3,Brian Billick1,Jimmy Johnson2,Bill Parcells2,John Madden1,Chuck Knoll4,Don Shula2,Vince Lombardi2,ETC.

Jonah
    Jonah's Avatar Become A Pro!

They signed the wrong/kept the wrong Turner.

Pride>UFC
    Pride>UFC's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    They signed the wrong/kept the wrong Turner.
    They resigned the wrong linebackers (Cooper and Phillips) instead of Leber and Edwards
    They kept the wrong qb (Rivers instead of Brees)
    They fired the wrong coach and hired a crappy one (the players loved Marty, Norv can't motivate)
    They kept an old, washed up runningback when they could've kept Turner.

Jonah
    Jonah's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would not say the kept the wrong QB....Rivers is amazing/younger...Brees is great too and really blossomed in New Orleans...in a way he would not have in San Diego. This worked out very well for both sides.

I agree, not a fan of either Phillips or Cooper.

PAULYPOKER

New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan sends Brian Schottenheimer's dad, Marty Schottenheimer, game ball

Rex Ryan pulled Brian Schottenheimer aside on Tuesday and told his offensive coordinator he had a gift for him.
    Actually, it was a present for Schottenheimer's father, Marty.
    "He said he was going to send my dad a game ball from this last game winning in San Diego," Schottenheimer said Thursday. "That meant the world to me."
    While Schottenheimer didn't want to admit it initially, the Jets' 17-14 victory over the Chargers on Sunday was huge for him and his family. San Diego fired Marty Schottenheimer in 2006 after the coach led the Chargers to a 14-2 record before they lost to the Patriots in the AFC divisional playoffs.
    "It was important to win that game," admitted the younger Schottenheimer, who was quarterbacks coach for the Chargers from 2002-2005. "I have friends on that team and also it felt really nice to be able to pick up the phone after the game and talk to my father and tell him that was for him."
    Even though Brian Schottenheimer was initially stung by the fact that Ryan wanted to oversee more of the offensive play-calling during the season, the two sons of former head coaches have grown close. The offensive coordinator said he has been so happy working for Ryan that he wasn't interested in pursuing a head coaching opportunity with Buffalo.
    Now Brian will try to make it to the Super Bowl that his father never could reach. Marty was 0-3 in AFC Championship Games with the Browns and Chiefs.
    "I was there for 'The Drive,'" Schottenheimer said of his father's 1987 AFC Championship Game loss to John Elway and the Broncos while with the Browns. "I was not there at the fumble game the following year in Denver. I was there for the championship game in Buffalo when (Joe) Montana got knocked out (with Kansas City in 1994). Those were difficult times. They were things when you look back, 'How can that happen to one person, one team?' (My dad) doesn't have a Super Bowl ring but he handled those losses with respect and class and dignity."

netinfo

I would not say the kept the wrong QB....Rivers is amazing/younger...Brees is great too and really blossomed in New Orleans...in a way he would not have in San Diego. This worked out very well for both sides.
    I agree. Rivers is the face and future of SD, and frankly, I'd rather not have any other QB leading the Bolts. Breez fits better with the NO scheme and offense, and has really grown as an elite QB over there.

netinfo