jerseykingpin
    jerseykingpin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ravens get help at WR position by signing Stallworth

By Jason La Canfora | NFL Network

The Baltimore Ravens signed wide receiver Donte' Stallworth to a one-year deal Wednesday. The team will announce the move later, but will not hold a formal press conference until their offseason program begins in mid-March, allowing him time to meet teammates and coaches first before meeting the media.
    "We've given a lot of thought to this, and we've done extensive research into Donte' beyond football," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "He made a huge mistake. There's no doubt about that. He has paid a significant price for that and, as he has said, he carries a heavy weight. As (Ravens owner) Steve (Bisciotti) said, we believe in second chances, and Donte' does deserve that.
    "But, we've signed him because we want to get better, and we think he has a chance to help us."
    Stallworth was just re-instated to the NFL by Commissioner Roger Goodell after being suspended for the 2009 season for his DUI crash which took the life of a driver in another car. The Browns, who Stallworth was playing for at the time, did not have interest in retaining his services and released him, but Stallworth worked out for several team after being re-instated.
    "I've spent the last six months working hard with a trainer in case I got an opportunity to come back," Stallworth said. "I felt I had to work extra hard since I wasn't with a team. I'm ready to try and help the Ravens."
    Stallworth spent Tuesday with the Ravens, who have a significant need at the receiver position, and had an impressive workout. He took a physical this morning and signed with the team around 11:30. The sides worked on the contract overnight, with the Ravens not wanting to let him leave town without a deal. Ravens coach John Harbaugh was on the Philadelphia staff while Stallworth was there, and other coaches on the staff have worked with him as well.
    "He's the kind of person and player who can help us," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "It's clear that he is determined to play, that he has been working hard and that he wants to have a positive impact off the field, too. We're looking forward to working with him."
    The Ravens are not done seeking help at receiver, according to sources, looking to expand their offense and add more weapons for young QB Joe Flacco. The team could re-sign veteran Derrick Mason, and are also very likely to explore options for top tier receivers like Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-24-14 at 03:53 PM.

jerseykingpin
    jerseykingpin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ravens sign Stallworth to 1-year deal

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Wide receiver Donte' Stallworth has signed a one-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens, hoping to resurrect a career that was halted by a manslaughter conviction.

ESPN.com's James Walker calls the partnering of Donte' Stallworth with the Ravens a high-risk, high-reward move for Baltimore.

Stallworth was recently released by the Cleveland Browns after being reinstated by the NFL following a one-year suspension. He was suspended for violating the league's personal-conduct policy after pleading guilty to a DUI vehicular manslaughter charge.
    Stallworth served 24 days of a 30-day sentence in a Miami jail for striking and killing Miami construction worker Mario Reyes with his car while driving under the influence of alcohol.
    The Ravens announced the signing Wednesday.
    The deal is worth $900,000, with an additional $300,000 in incentives.
    "There was a time I felt the mistake I made was the end of the world for me," Stallworth said in a statement. "I will never get that morning back. It weighs on me every day and will for the rest of my life. What I can do is move forward, try to be a better person, try to convince others not to do what I did and warn others about the dangers of drinking and driving. I have to show otherwise that what happened doesn't reflect who I am.
    "I have to prove that, and, hopefully, I'm on my way to doing that. I know my apology will never be strong enough for some, but I've made changes, and I'm trying to be a positive influence. It's an honor and privilege to play in the NFL, and I'm so thankful for this opportunity."
    The 29-year-old Stallworth worked out for the Ravens on Tuesday.
    "We've given a lot of thought to this and we've done extensive research into Donte' beyond football," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "He made a huge mistake. There's no doubt about that. He has paid a significant price for that and, as he has said, he carries a heavy weight. As [Ravens owner] Steve [Bisciotti] has said, we believe in second chances, and Donte' does deserve that.
    "But, we've signed him because we want to get better, and we think he has a chance to help us. We worked him out and it's obvious he is working hard to be effective. We thought it was important to sign him now, because other teams were pursuing him and we want him in our offseason program, which starts next month."
    Stallworth played just one season for the Browns after signing a seven-year, $35 million contract in 2008. That year he recorded 17 receptions for 170 yards and one touchdown in 11 games.
    Stallworth has caught 296 career passes for 4,383 yards and 32 touchdowns. He has played for the Saints, Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots and the Browns. He had a career-high 70 catches and 945 yards in 2005.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-24-14 at 03:53 PM.

THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

might be help, might not be, good day

Rig
    Rig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 27

How
    free agency hasn't started yet
    did he not play last year?

icancount2one
    Let's go NickFolian Dynamite!
    icancount2one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 571

Quote Originally Posted by Rig View Post
    How
    free agency hasn't started yet
    did he not play last year?
    exactly

podunk
    podunk's Avatar Become A Pro!

stallworth will be cut before the season starts

AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8856

he will get drunk & run someone else over ... then get cut & jailed again

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by podunk View Post
    stallworth will be cut before the season starts
    Dang, beat me to it.

fixxer
    fixxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

It sounds as a great deal for me....Ravens BADLY need a good WR, and Donte is one....

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
    It's a training camp body deal....Ravens BADLY need any WR, and Donte is one....
    FYP

varin18
    varin18's Avatar Become A Pro!

They have to sign one more WR....preferably a better one....