sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

Current State of the Miami Heat

My Miami Heat are just a complete mess right now. Those of you thinking we are the real deal are highly mistaken, we got not shot of winning the NBA Championship this year and here is why...

#1 The Miami Heat don't have a leader. Everyone was wondering who would be the "captain" "the voice" "the leader" of the Miami Heat with so many superstars and the fact of the matter is that no one has stepped up to the task all year. I do not see LeBron or Wade holding any one accountable or pushing this team. I have yet to see underachieving players like Bosh, Chalmers, Arroyo, and Miller ever get an ear full from LeBron or Wade. For instance, Bosh the other night made a huge mistake just straight up throwing a pass straight to a Knicks player in clutch time. Did LeBron tell him anything? Did Wade? Did Spoelstra? No, everyone just keeps their mouth shut. When Chalmers and Miller are missing WIDE OPEN three's, you will neverrrrr see LeBron or Wade say a word to them. Michael Jordan is the best basketball player and leader I have ever seen he constantly chewed out his teammates when they were underperforming and it worked. He even did it in practice, he would straight up get into fist fights with guys he thought were being lazy. It always kept his teammates on their toes and they strived for greatness not wanting to let him down. All these Heat role players don't have to worry about hearing anything from anyone because no one is really holding them accountable. Maybe Spoelstra will criticize them after the game in a nice calm manner but I don't feel they respect him either. I can pretty much guarantee from the looks of it that Riley will be back on the sideline if the Heat don't get it done this year. He's one of the best motivators of all time and the Heat really need that right now.

#2 Second problem with the Heat is their offense. Everyone wants to think we got the best SG and SF in the game and that our offense is top-notch because we got two of the best scorers on the planet. Well our offense really sucks to be quite honest. Sure we can beat guys off the dribble every now and then and get out in transition and finish but we are missing many key facets offensively and I don't see them developing either.

We have no player that can go to the post. Bosh is a jump shooter and face up driver. He can't physically back down a single PF/C in this league. We have even tried putting LeBron in the post and the guy is absolutely atrotious. We don't have a single other PF/C on the team that can score the ball at all except Z every now and then when he hits his jumpers, I may be wrong but I don't think there is a single team in NBA history that ranked in the bottom 3 in points in the paint and won the NBA Championship. The Heat are currently ranked 28 out of 30 in Points in the Paint. Wade and LeBron can drive to the basket all they want and make that quick pass and find guys wide open under the basket but you just can never count on Z, Magloire, Anthony, or Bosh to consistently catch the ball in traffic and put the ball in the hole. You constantly see these guys catch the ball and hesitate and then pump fake. I can't count how many times I have seen LeBron make amazing no look passes in traffic that these guys just fumble out of bounds, it's frustrating to watch. The Heat badly need a guy like Hakim Warrick who can at least catch the ball and dunk it wide open.

Neither Wade or LeBron can consistently hit shots coming off screens. All their shots come off the dribble. It really helps your offense when you can just run those 3 screens and get a good shooter wide open off that last curl for an open look when your offense is struggling and we don't have that. This is definitely a good play to run at the end of games but teams know we can't do it and don't even have to worry about it.

At the end of games our offense is just downright terrible. I think a big part of this lies on Spoelstra's shoulders. We just never seem to have any good plays drawn up ever. I can't think of one time all year where I went "wow what a good play call by Spoelstra". The only big shot we've made was Eddie House @ OKC and that was off a miss and offensive rebound where the defense wasn't set. We run the same isolation play with LeBron/Wade.
    Last edited by sweetjones55; 03-01-11 at 08:38 PM.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Wade has to step up as a leader. Lebron should have never gotten the ball in crunch time like he did against the Knicks. This is Wade's team.

sweetjones55

Quote Originally Posted by Pauulzcappin View Post
    Wade has to step up as a leader. Lebron should have never gotten the ball in crunch time like he did against the Knicks. This is Wade's team.
    Wade was 5-15 from the field having a downright terrible game. LeBron was 10-18 going into the last two mintues of the game. You got to go with the hot hand. Maybe after the first LeBron miss you go to Wade.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jackfrost

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Interesting to read a Heat fan's non bias write up

Good stuff SJ

Pauulzcappin

Quote Originally Posted by hawley View Post
    Interesting to read a Heat fan's non bias write up Good stuff SJ
    True that. Very good write-up.

SJ, tell me if I'm off here but I think Erik S. has been focusing too much on defense because he trusts Big 3's offensive talents but with the exception of driving, ISO and inside-outside game they barely have any halfcourt offensive sets. Do you think Riley could fix this somehow?

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

I didnt read all of that, but I will say that Mike Bibby been washed up for 3 years.

Trade Bosh, and get a couple of solid contributors. Bosh doesnt do what they need, as in defense, and rebounds.

Pauulzcappin

Houli, I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to pick up his horrible contract the way he's been playing lately.

hawley

No one would take BOsh on that money and the Heat wouldn't be stupid enough to do it unless LBJ and Wade went to RIley and told him to move him

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Interesting read and take. They have problems that need to be addressed.. However, the Heat def have a shot to make it to the Finals and win. They may not look great now, but at times this season they have looked unbeatable. And because of their talent, you can't count them out... I will tell you this, in order to beat the Heat in 7 games, you are really going to have to show up every game and beat them. Frankly I'm only confident 1 team can do that now: Boston

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I would bet my entire bankroll that the Heat won't win the title, and about 3/4ths of my bankroll that they won't win the East.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Bradyd View Post
    Interesting read and take. They have problems that need to be addressed.. However, the Heat def have a shot to make it to the Finals and win. They may not look great now, but at times this season they have looked unbeatable. And because of their talent, you can't count them out... I will tell you this, in order to beat the Heat in 7 games, you are really going to have to show up every game and beat them. Frankly I'm only confident 1 team can do that now: Boston
    From the East, or overall? Because I can think of three teams the Heat won't beat from the West.

ncsubowen
    ncsubowen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Agreed - Miami is a lost team. They got by early in the season by having talent but they have no rhythm and no heart. Ugly loss to NYK being up by as much as they were and just basically giving up.

Bradyd

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    From the East, or overall? Because I can think of three teams the Heat won't beat from the West.
    Just in the East..

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I'd personally rank the title contenders in this order:

1) Lakers (based on the fact that they're the defending champs and deserve the benefit of the doubt)
    2) Celtics
    3) Mavs
    4) Spurs
    5) Bulls
    6) Heat

Bradyd

My list would be:

1. Boston
    2. Lakers- Defending champs, kinda have to..
    3. Spurs
    4. Heat

Can't see the Mavs beating LA or the Spurs in 7. Can't see the Bulls beating Boston or Miami in 7 either..

fsfalcons
    fsfalcons's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think if Perkins gets his knee healthy by the playoffs the Thunder could be legit contenders as well

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

You guys are wrong, plenty of teams would still take Bosh in a heart beat if it wasn't for the new CBA.

And way too overreact btw. The Heat are FINE. People that expected them to win a ring right from the start are stupid, and that includes Lebron and Wade themselves. And even with the lack of a real offense or any kind of bench or big man they are still top 5 in the league and still a legit title contender. Now i think the Bostons or Mavs type teams can take them out but who knows, all it take is an injury and the picture completely changes.

I guess if you are a moron and you thought the Heat are just gonna jump in and win 72 games, break all records, win not 1, not 2....not 3........not 4 or whatever that stupid fruitcake said rings, well then maybe you need to readjust your expectations.

Their defense is still ridiculous, when they get out and run they are unstoppable, and when 1 or 2 of the right guys have great games they are almost unbeatable. Nothing to cry about, i'm sure plenty of other teams in the league would love to have he Heats problems.
    Last edited by demens; 03-01-11 at 09:40 PM.

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

They WILL NOT be able to win a title with 0 inside presence. They are screwed come playoff time.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13558

Gotta disagree here. If you looked at their demeanor during that Knicks game they had that didn't care attitude, they were chit chatting and laughing with Melo during the game (they are homies). Heat are playing a completely different style of ball game than what everyone is use to and use to see winning (lakers, triangle offense, etc.) They rely on double team, recover and rotate defense and transition, half court and fast break offense. No other team is playing like this especially with this kind of energy. The Heat are serious!

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

I think there is a lot of overreacting also. I'm from Ohio and watched the Cavs flourish under LBJ. The guy is the best player in the NBA hands down. He should/can be the leader. He hasn't won an NBA championship yet bc his CLE teams were atrocious. I watched every second of the Cavs' season the last few years and he was going 1 on 5 half the time and still got us into the East Finals. Once the playoffs lights hit, so will Lebron. He will carry this team to the East Finals and if Wade wants to step up or Bosh they can battle the Celtics. It's still too early to call the Heat a 'bust' or 'no chance' at the title. They havent even lost a playoff game, yet alone a series. Be patient heat fans.

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeem5 View Post
    I think there is a lot of overreacting also. I'm from Ohio and watched the Cavs flourish under LBJ. The guy is the best player in the NBA hands down. He should/can be the leader. He hasn't won an NBA championship yet bc his CLE teams were atrocious. I watched every second of the Cavs' season the last few years and he was going 1 on 5 half the time and still got us into the East Finals. Once the playoffs lights hit, so will Lebron. He will carry this team to the East Finals and if Wade wants to step up or Bosh they can battle the Celtics. It's still too early to call the Heat a 'bust' or 'no chance' at the title. They havent even lost a playoff game, yet alone a series. Be patient heat fans.
    The 1 on 5 is not the fault of Lebrons teammates, 1 on 5 is the only offensive system that suits Lebron. The difference in Miami is that him and Wade take turns going 1 on 5. The guy needs the ball in his hands all the time, thats what makes it 1 on 5, and he still isn't a good enough shooter to run any other kind of offense and despite his amazing court vision and passing skills he is not a pg. So is either a fast break or 1 on 5, dont blame his teammates, thats just the kind of player Lebron is.

BigDeem5

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    The 1 on 5 is not the fault of Lebrons teammates, 1 on 5 is the only offensive system that suits Lebron. The difference in Miami is that him and Wade take turns going 1 on 5. The guy needs the ball in his hands all the time, thats what makes it 1 on 5, and he still isn't a good enough shooter to run any other kind of offense and despite his amazing court vision and passing skills he is not a pg. So is either a fast break or 1 on 5, dont blame his teammates, thats just the kind of player Lebron is.
    Did you ever watch any of the Cavs games or playoff games? He would kick it to an open Mo Williams, Jamison, Zydrunas, Parker and they'd choke. Not to mention we couldn't guard anybody. The guy led the Cavaliers to the NBA best record 2 years in a row. The Cavs are now the worst team. He's that good. He'll find Miller and James Jones. If they hit there threes, Miami will win East

Fed_42420
    Fed_42420's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 227

This team is 1 game back in the East right now and will probably win the East, this is crazy talk. Their first year together and they are doing great!!! They have no huge problems, how can a team with one of the best records in the league have huge problems??? what the hell. And now they are picking up Bibby, a solid shooter and high IQ player. They will give any team trouble in the playoffs, that's guaranteed. Also guaranteed they make the finals repeatedly in the future.

hawley

Did you ever watch any of the Cavs games or playoff games? He would kick it to an open Mo Williams, Jamison, Zydrunas, Parker and they'd choke. Not to mention we couldn't guard anybody. The guy led the Cavaliers to the NBA best record 2 years in a row. The Cavs are now the worst team. He's that good. He'll find Miller and James Jones. If they hit there threes, Miami will win East
    Unfortunately the Regular season and the playoffs are two different beasts

hothandsmgee
    hothandsmgee's Avatar Become A Pro!

They cant be thought as favs considering the way they play against top teams

BigDeem5

Quote Originally Posted by hawley View Post
    Unfortunately the Regular season and the playoffs are two different beasts
    They made the East Championship 3 years and the NBA finals one year. Do you remember their NBA Final roster? I believe something like 4/12 players are still in the league. Lebron is the man. Wade needs to take a back seat to him. Let LBJ create and kick to Wade who can either hit an 18 ft'er or slash as they collapse on LBJ. James will find any open cutter. Bosh is garbage and was a figment of a terrible Toronto team. He may not be one of the top 5 PFs in the East.

sweetjones55

Something to completely throw everyone off here, lol!

The 2006 NBA Champion Miami Heat team was 4-14 (22%) against the NBA's elite during the regular.
    Last edited by sweetjones55; 03-01-11 at 11:30 PM.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

great write up. IMO they need some smarter screens/passing game because the sheer athleticism plays take too much energy and, that comes out at the other end defensively when they are a little tired/dizzy from some crazy miracle shot they just made

vinh diesel
    vinh diesel's Avatar Become A Pro!

bosh is a waste of space.

demens
    Square -910

Yes, i watched plenty. Passing to an open teammate does not mean its not 1 on 5. There weren't many sets for other guys, other then a few picknrolls, a few plays for shooters running of screens it was all Lebron going 1 on 5, if he happen to break the defense down a hit an open Williams for a 3 its still 1 on 5. I'll say again, Lebron can not run any other kind of offense. But thats not so much of a bad thing, i'm surprised to hear you complaining, the 1on5 with his awful teammates was good enough to win 60 games, good enough to go deep in the playoffs, good enough to go to the finals, good enough for 2 MVPs.

And no offense, but i'm even more shocked to hear you say something as stupid as the worst team in the league crap. Some fan you are. This horse has been beat to death enough already but you as a fan should know better about how devastated by injuries your team has been this year and the fact that Lebron was not the only player they lost from last year. Its a shame that you, a Cavs fan, continue to ride Lebrons jock and blame his teammates for something that was the Kings fault.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13558

All or most of their losses from elite teams have been in the low single digits if I am not mistaken and im sure a few others were in the middle of roster changes/rotations they are still a new team testing shit out

HustleGetPaid
    HustleGetPaid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5089

The Heat will be fine, but would like for them to start beating some of these other title contending teams for the regular season ends. This 10 game stretch will show alot about the Heat...

sweetjones55

Spoelstra again proving how bad he is in the most crucial moments. We are down 3 with 9 seconds left LeBron, Wade, Miller and Bibby on the floor and the play is called for a Bosh 3. Unbelievable.

asdfghasdfgh
    asdfghasdfgh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 744

If you think Spoelstra was to blame for that loss I don't know what to tell you.

AntDaAZN
    Check Spreadsheet for my plays.
    AntDaAZN's Avatar Become A Pro!

BOSH hasn't taken a 3 the whole game nor is he hot at all and he was the one to put up the 3?! Unbelievable!

123 Last