fearless
    fearless's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Memphis tanked the entire season!

Think about it, they were an excellent team last year, playing tough defense. The injury to Gasol ruined them. They fired Fratello, probably undeservedly (considering injuries).

Here's the key to understanding the situation: with all the incompetence in the NBA, it's easy to forget that not only is Jerry West not incompetent, he's brilliantly competent, perhaps even a genius at his job. IMHO, what did he do? Realizing that the season was lost and that the up-coming draft class is one of the best ever, he installed a ridiculous run and gun system (via the "right" coach) that would guarantee a ton of losses.

It was brilliant. It just looks like typical NBA incompetence but it was actually an unbelievable strategy.

I was tipped off that this was the story recently when the Grizzlies finally won back to back games. How did they do it? By going back to their old style. When did they do it? At the end of the season when they had finally virtually clinched the worst record.

If it was just about any other GM in the league, you could chalk this up to ordinary NBA incompetence. However, this was Jerry West, a truly brilliant GM.

tevari
    purveyor of fuzzy green balls
    tevari's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

interesting...

TheProphet
    TheProphet's Avatar Become A Pro!

It is a good THEORY, but you have obviously never read or watched anything about Jerry West. It is true that he is VERY competitive, but no he would NEVER and I mean NEVER tank a game let alone a season. He HATES losing think of his competitive nature as that of Jordans or Magics he hates losing more than anything he would never do that to his team on purpose. Firing Fratello was not as harsh a move as you think, because he did it after Gasol was back and the team had a chance to show improvement. It saw none it saw their superstar want to leave the team and demand a trade Fratello was an easily replacable coach and West wanted to do anything he could to keep his superstar. He will get something good for him in the offseason and yes they will get a good draft pick, but not because West gave it away they had a bad year it happens.

fearless
    fearless's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    It is a good THEORY, but you have obviously never read or watched anything about Jerry West. It is true that he is VERY competitive, but no he would NEVER and I mean NEVER tank a game let alone a season. He HATES losing think of his competitive nature as that of Jordans or Magics he hates losing more than anything he would never do that to his team on purpose. Firing Fratello was not as harsh a move as you think, because he did it after Gasol was back and the team had a chance to show improvement. It saw none it saw their superstar want to leave the team and demand a trade Fratello was an easily replacable coach and West wanted to do anything he could to keep his superstar. He will get something good for him in the offseason and yes they will get a good draft pick, but not because West gave it away they had a bad year it happens.
    We don't know him personally. In the long run, winning this year would have been losing for the Grizzlies. It reminds me a lot of the year Robinson was hurt for the Spurs. They had a horrible season, got the first pick, got Duncan and went right back to being a contender again. I think the Grizzlies will be good next year too, in exactly the same way.

Max Kim
    Max Kim's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree rainbow, Memphis will most likely recieve one of the top 3 picks in the draft and will not only be a potential playoff team, but exactly how they were last season and even better. I don't believe Jerry West has tanked the entire season, he's just letting it ride. I believe he is looking more towards the future and letting the team put out as much effort as they can and not pressuring them to win games. With an addition like a Greg Oden or a play-maker like an A.C. Law or Mike Conley will complete the missing pieces to their team. Memphis has so much young talent and scorers so they will need a good role player, center or pt guard preferably. Defensive player is definitely needed. I predict next year Memphis will be one of the top 5 teams in the West.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by Max Kim View Post
    I agree rainbow, Memphis will most likely recieve one of the top 3 picks in the draft and will not only be a potential playoff team, but exactly how they were last season and even better. I don't believe Jerry West has tanked the entire season, he's just letting it ride. I believe he is looking more towards the future and letting the team put out as much effort as they can and not pressuring them to win games. With an addition like a Greg Oden or a play-maker like an A.C. Law or Mike Conley will complete the missing pieces to their team. Memphis has so much young talent and scorers so they will need a good role player, center or pt guard preferably. Defensive player is definitely needed. I predict next year Memphis will be one of the top 5 teams in the West.
    Top 5 in the West next year? Are you joking?

They could get Oden AND Durant and still wouldn't be a top 5 team in the West.

Max Kim
    Max Kim's Avatar Become A Pro!

Take a look at their roster rtj, there team is very comparable to the Utah Jazz and I believe even has more talent than them. Memphis did so horribly due to the constant injuries of key players. If you remember last season Memphis was on the 5 spot in the playoffs with almost the exact same roster as this year. With the addition of a top pick and a healthy team I believe they'll be better than a Utah Jazz or Houston Rockets who are right now the 4th and 5th spot in the standings.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

I like memphis +11.5

adriano
    all-in
    adriano's Avatar Become A Pro!

I took Mem/GS under 223 today. Game started 4-6 with 8 mins left in 1st Q. Just checked now, end 1st 31:32. Wtf? GS allowing 115+ in last 3 at home, and this is a team fighting for the playoffs! Is there somebody sane in this organization?
    Not given up hope completely, yet! But, come on...