ShotgunRua
    ShotgunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Whenever I have money on a dog and he takes the first set I generally hedge at that point. Odds fluctuate so much during the match it's crazy not to.

westside8
    westside8's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for the tennis picks Sando. Tailed on all - really surprised my local bookie had all of them considering the coverage they had earlier for Brisbane (or lack there of I suppose)

thorny
    thorny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1686

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunRua View Post
    Whenever I have money on a dog and he takes the first set I generally hedge at that point. Odds fluctuate so much during the match it's crazy not to.
    yeh, that's always a smart move

sheps88
    sheps88's Avatar Become A Pro!

What is hedging? And is it possible on 5dimes?

ShotgunRua

Quote Originally Posted by sheps88 View Post
    Nothing complicated.

-Let's say the odds for the underdog are +250 and you decide to place a bet on him.
    -If he wins the first set go to the 'live betting' or 'in play' section and check the odds. Now that the guy has won a set and is possibly several games up, he'll now be the favourite as the bookies deem him more likely to win at that point.
    -Chances are the guy you bet against is now around +250 as he has an uphill battle ahead.
    -Place a bet on the other guy to at least return enough to pay back your original wager and your first bet is now risk free. If the odds have drifted enough you should be able to place a bet which will result in your making profit regardless of winner.

*Do not do this with soccer as draws/ties are frequent*

thorny

Quote Originally Posted by sheps88 View Post
    A hedge is a bet intended to offset potential losses, its used to reduce any substantial losses...

So what ShotgunRua is stating is that you place a bet on the favourite at end of 1st set if the dog wins that set as the favourite's odds would be higher than a pre-game bet.

dioforce
    dioforce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192

I think hedging is generally minus ROI, but I am not interested in listening or talking about it.

thorny

Nothing complicated.

-Let's say the odds for the underdog are +250 and you decide to place a bet on him.
    -If he wins the first set go to the 'live betting' or 'in play' section and check the odds. Now that the guy has won a set and is possibly several games up, he'll now be the favourite as the bookies deem him more likely to win at that point.
    -Chances are the guy you bet against is now around +250 as he has an uphill battle ahead.
    -Place a bet on the other guy to at least return enough to pay back your original wager and your first bet is now risk free. If the odds have drifted enough you should be able to place a bet which will result in your making profit regardless of winner.

*Do not do this with soccer as draws/ties are frequent*
    it is still useful in soccer...but i agree it is harder.
    but i sometimes do if a placed a pregame bet on say over 3.5 goals, and if the score is say 2-1, I place a live bet on 2-1 correct score....etc

ShotgunRua

Quote Originally Posted by thorny View Post
    it is still useful in soccer...but i agree it is harder.
    but i sometimes do if a placed a pregame bet on say over 3.5 goals, and if the score is say 2-1, I place a live bet on 2-1 correct score....etc
    Yeah I do this as well! If you had the time to dedicate to it you could really play the books in live betting. For the over goals I often choose a bet I like, then try not to place it until 10-15 minutes in to the game. It's amazing the difference it makes to the return despite very few goals actually being scored during this portion of the match.

ShotgunRua

Quote Originally Posted by dioforce View Post
    I think hedging is generally minus ROI, but I am not interested in listening or talking about it.
    Fair enough, sometimes though after the first set your guy might look exhausted or may appear to be crumbling despite being ahead in terms of scores. Often you can foresee a potential momentum change and if you're worried about your original bet it is sometimes better to guarantee some return rather than have a chance of a larger win.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14608

If you do it on a spot by spot basis, not all the time, then it can be used as a tool.

Frisco
    Frisco's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like hedging favorites too. Davy vs Gasquet I was on Davy -145 and was able to get Gasquet +1350. Very little money being thrown away when you hedge your faves b/c that dog # goes through the roof. That was just one of the rare times it was a good idea to follow through w/ it

xexx
    xexx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 277

Trivial question. Are your plays to win or to risk?

ShotgunRua

Quote Originally Posted by xexx View Post
    Trivial question. Are your plays to win or to risk?
    In case Sando doesn't drop in for a while, his units are RISK amounts.

Tommy_de1st
    Damn, she's hot
    Tommy_de1st's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7897

Betfair is best for hedging (shotgun knows what im talking about, don't you?) but unfortunately for americans, they can't use it

sando
    sando's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 573

NBA Sunday

Un-believable. I was exhausted after the tennis work and fell asleep literally as I was posting my NBA card, which at the time was only 2 x plays. Thunder -6.5 and Detroit 1st Half over. If you go back a page or two you will see the conversation between myself and brain freeze about where I was taking OKC so I hope some of you played it just based on that even though I didn't post the play.

Memphis @ Phoenix
    Grizzlies -4 (-109, $1.91 Sportingbet) 2x
    *Some books still have -4, if not recommend buy the hook or PYOL for no worse than -117. This should be a low scoring game but the total has already been pounded under too much for my liking. There is a small chance of the hook coming into play but I think the Griz will build a nice lead throughout the game and as long as their 4th quarter woes don't continue then they should be able to hang onto it. My instincts tell me Z-Bo will play, the Griz need him and there is nothing really that wrong with him. Scola a solid defender but him and Gortat should struggle against the Griz low post game, expect Conley to feed the post a lot. Phoenix struggles against solid defensive teams, see how Dragic likes the Memphis perimeter D while he tries dancing around the perimeter doing his best Steve Nash impersonation while he looks for angles, yet Conley will not allow that, and Allen will make life difficult for Brown/Dudley, Suns 2 most dangerous players who both thrive on having space, especially Dudley for his pull up J, Griz match up great with the Suns and we are getting nice value as the books and a lot of the public have written Memphis off. These guys are slumping but they will sort it out, too big, too much talent, solid coach. I am still a believer, they will be a force in the West come play-offs, nobody will want to play them, especially the Thunder, Lakers and Spurs. (A team that comes out alive from a 7 game play off series with the Griz will probably resemble a casualty ward in a field hospital).

**If your book only gives -4.5 option then play is good for 1-1.5 units.

NBA Totals

Charlotte @ Detroit
    1st Half Over 97.5 (-110, $1.90 Pinnacle) 1x
    *Pistons are a high scoring 1st half team, especially at home, and the Bobcats give up the most 1st half points in the league.

Over 194 (-109, $1.91 Sportingbet) 1x
    Last edited by sando; 01-06-13 at 03:15 PM.
    Points Awarded:

GrubyBob gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

knowlove85 gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ShotgunRua

Quote Originally Posted by sando View Post
    Mate when I just did my spreads I capped it at -8 to -8.5 OKC, I have a feeling the Thunder will roll right through the Raptors tomorrow and actually I am considering a play on it. Line has already come into -6.5, which is a bit strange as seems the majority of money is coming in on the Thunder, but regardless if it somehow comes down to -6 (which I doubt) I will most likely pounce on it.
    Good call Sando

ShotgunRua

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_de1st View Post
    Betfair is best for hedging (shotgun knows what im talking about, don't you?) but unfortunately for americans, they can't use it
    I'm unable to process anything you say whilst looking at your avatar.

But yeah Betfair is awesome for many reasons, must suck betting/gambling in the US.

GrubyBob
    GrubyBob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Sando, what do you think about Sousa (+1.5) $2.45 ?
    Thanks for your tips!

sando

NBA Card complete.

Like the Pistons to smash the Bobcats, but with the two Total's already in play, do not want to load up any more on the one game. Also like the Lakers -2.5, but that line is more suspicous than a nun doing squats in a cucumber field, as is the money continuing to flow in on the Nuggets?

*For live bettors - consider jumping on the Pistons in play if you can pick them up for -6 to -7.
    Last edited by sando; 01-06-13 at 03:26 PM.

brainfreeze0
    brainfreeze0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 962

NBA Card complete.

Like the Pistons to smash the Bobcats, but with the two Total's already in play, do not want to load up any more on the one game. Also like the Lakers -2.5, but that line is more suspicous than a nun doing squats in a cucumber field, as is the money continuing to flow in on the Nuggets?

*For live bettors - consider jumping on the Pistons in play if you can pick them up for -6 to -7.
    Man these Bobcats are so unpredictable. One half they play lights out and then give it all back in 2nd half. Pistons in the palace though are tough. I'm probably rolling Cats +4 1/2 1H and over 97 1/2 1H. Locked in your Tennis plays on Bengu and Oprandi so here's hoping we cash tonight. GL

black lab
    black lab's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

sando,
    the above is actually hilarious...i will use that along with your handicapping...ty

sando

Happy Birthday Shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by GrubyBob View Post
    Sando, what do you think about Sousa (+1.5) $2.45 ?
    Thanks for your tips!
    Prefer the + games, he could lose in straights and still cover (7-6 6-3, 6-4 6-4, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze0 View Post
    Man these Bobcats are so unpredictable. One half they play lights out and then give it all back in 2nd half. Pistons in the palace though are tough. I'm probably rolling Cats 1H and over 1H. Locked in your Tennis plays on Bengu and Oprandi so here's hoping we cash tonight. GL
    You from motor city mate?

haha naw. Houston, Tx. Love the Memphis play tonight as well though bought a half point. Memphis knows they can't let their standing slip away and GS slipping in fast. They lost their last game so they need this win. Add to that they lost their last game vs Suns
    Nice, had a unit on the Texans yesterday. Seen your posts in other NBA threads, clearly you know your stuff, so your input is appreciated.

Last edited by sando; 01-06-13 at 04:05 PM.

brainfreeze0

You from motor city mate?
    haha naw. Houston, Tx. Love the Memphis play tonight as well though bought a half point. Memphis knows they can't let their standing slip away and GS slipping in fast. They lost their last game so they need this win. Add to that they lost their last game vs Suns

sando

Quote Originally Posted by thorny View Post
    Sando, I agree with Keys and Sloane as future for USA Womens. What do you make of McHale? You think she still has potential?
    Sorry for the late reply mate. Here is your answer.

Adding Tennis.

WTA Sydney

Li v McHale
    McHale +4.5 (-104, $1.96 Pinnacle) 1x

JM92
    JM92's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sando how well do you know Sousa? Because I faded Sousa in 2011 when I bet the basically the full season of tennis and last year a little bit too. I think that Mayer has the ability to finish some quick points specially if he starts the game serving well and if that happens Sousa can easily become a train wreck. One of the worst players to back as a dog in my mind, due to his crazyness and impredictability.

edit: just so its clear, Im just checking out of curiosity. I am pretty sure you know what you're doing and actually you made not bet Mayer there as I was thinking of doing.
    Last edited by JM92; 01-06-13 at 04:10 PM.

brainfreeze0

Nice, had a unit on the Texans yesterday. Seen your posts in other NBA threads, clearly you know your stuff, so your input is appreciated.
    Thanks man! I have a question on Tennis as I don't know anything about it. I see you have some like "so-and-so +4.5" ex. Mchale +4.5, except I only see Mchale +1.5
    . Am I looking in the wrong part or reading it wrong? I don't see 4 1/2 points anywhere. Thanks!

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14608

[QUOTE=black lab;17388848]sando,
    the above is actually hilariou..i will use that along with your handicapping...ty[/QUO

You using someone's name son?

JM92

Brainfreeze, you're probably looking at set handicap. Sando is playing the games handicap. Which bookie are you using ? Some bookies only have game handicap, others only set handicap... and I think only a few have both. I would advise bet365 and Pinnacle for tennis they always seemed to me clear winners.
    Points Awarded:

sando gave JM92 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ShotgunRua

Happy Birthday Shotgun.
    Cheers Sando! It's felt like my birthday most days over the last couple of weeks with all the winners.

brainfreeze0

Quote Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
    Brainfreeze, you're probably looking at set handicap. Sando is playing the games handicap. Which bookie are you using ? Some bookies only have game handicap, others only set handicap... and I think only a few have both. I would advise bet365 and Pinnacle for tennis they always seemed to me clear winners.
    I'm using Heritage. I'm kind of skeptical on using other books from past experience when it comes time to withdraw, especially after the whole Betislands fiasco. Here's a screenshot of its layout

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  49.5 KB

However Heritage is an awesome book and have taken player suggestions and implemented them before. So if I dont have the right setup I can try and suggest it to them.

ShotgunRua

Like the Pistons to smash the Bobcats, but with the two Total's already in play, do not want to load up any more on the one game.
    I just added a small parlay;
    Pistons -3 + Over 187.5 (-105 Bet365) X 1

I find when you get it wrong you're very rarely miles out. Tailed you as always but I like these odds.

JM92

I'm using Heritage. I'm kind of skeptical on using other books from past experience when it comes time to withdraw, especially after the whole Betislands fiasco. Here's a screenshot of its layout

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  49.5 KB

However Heritage is an awesome book and have taken player suggestions and implemented them before. So if I dont have the right setup I can try and suggest it to them.
    Hmm maybe that happens only with the first rounds of the tournaments. It could also be because we're still far away from the start of the games, but that's not the case here for sure. If you are limited to set betting and MLs in tennis you are losing a lot of value, in my mind at least. So I dont know what Sando is going to keep sending our way but I would definetly advise you to try and get another acount on a good tennis bookie.

sando

Quote Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
    Sando how well do you know Sousa? Because I faded Sousa in 2011 when I bet the basically the full season of tennis and last year a little bit too. I think that Mayer has the ability to finish some quick points specially if he starts the game serving well and if that happens Sousa can easily become a train wreck. One of the worst players to back as a dog in my mind, due to his crazyness and impredictability.

edit: just so its clear, Im just checking out of curiosity. I am pretty sure you know what you're doing and actually you made not bet Mayer there as I was thinking of doing.
    Yeah Sousa like most young European players (Spanish excluded) is rather unpredictable, although he has shown glimpses of his potential and he has been playing well in Australia and he is feisty which I love in a tennis player.

Joao Sousa has won 5 of last 6 in Australia

1. Calculate Mayer no more than a 55% favorite (Current form being the most prevalent factor).
    2. Mayer in terrible form (My first bet of this thread was a successful Mayer fade) and Sousa actually in pretty good form for a dirt baller playing on hard courts.
    3. Sousa already 3-0 on these Sydney courts. Had time to adjust to court conditions and acclimatise (unlike Mayer).
    4. 2 of my trusted tennis associates also like Sousa, one of them likes him to win (although it is more of a fade Mayer play than back Joao)
    5. Mayer was crap in 2012, and I don't like his attitude or body language.
    Last edited by sando; 01-06-13 at 04:55 PM.
    Points Awarded:

qwe123 gave sando 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

JM92

But Sousa had two long matches as well. He seemed to be pretty good against Ruffin but not in the next two matches, even though I don't know the actuall quality of the guys he faced (they suck ranking wise). He's a fighter yes, but that lack of focus he shows sometimes doesn't improve with fatigue for sure. But yes, Mayer has been strugling, that's for sure.

btw, I am actually pretty sure I saw Sousa play in the National championships once, its funny because he wasn't even supposed to be ever become that good, and even just two years ago he was always living in the shadow of Gastao Elias. But he can definetly play!

First ... 92939495969798 ... Last