brock
    brock's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12592

Pyro to take on eight in Louisiana Derby

Pyro to take on eight in Louisiana Derby
    By MARCUS HERSH
    Pyro won the Risen Star Stakes on Feb. 9 at Fair Grounds, in his 2008 debut, with a did-you-see-that, last-to-first stretch run – but he did not scare everyone away from Saturday’s $600,000 Louisiana Derby, the high point of the Fair Grounds meet.

The Louisiana Derby, one of six stakes on a 12-race card drawn Monday, got a field of nine, with top prospects Tale of Ekati and Majestic Warrior in from Florida to take on Pyro.

Florida-based Stevil, who has lost three entry-level allowance races since winning his debut last fall, was a surprise entrant from trainer Nick Zito.

Yankee Bravo is the lone California shipper, and four other locally based horses were entered: Blackberry Road, J Be K, My Pal Charlie, and Unbridled Vicar.

While horsemen with Kentucky Derby hopefuls are lining up for a chance at Grade 2 earnings in the Louisiana Derby, almost no one wanted to jump into the Fair Grounds Oaks fray.

The Oaks, a Grade 2 with a purse of $400,000, features a rematch between Indian Blessing and Proud Spell, who finished one-two in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies, and one-two in the Silverbulletday last month at Fair Grounds. Only two others, Acacia and Wisconsin Lady, were entered in the Oaks. Highest Class, third in the Silverbulletday, is being pointed instead to the Bonnie Miss on March?29 at Gulfstream, according to her trainer, Neil Howard.

Indian Blessing worked six furlongs Monday at Santa Anita in 1:11.60. Proud Spell went five furlongs Monday at Fair Grounds in 1:03.

Grasshopper is the likely favorite among seven horses entered in the $500,000 New Orleans Handicap, a race that includes the venerable Brass Hat. Also entered are Silver Lord, second to Grasshopper in last month’s Mineshaft, and Circular Quay, whose last win came in the 2007 Louisiana Derby.

Grasshopper worked five furlongs Monday in 1:01.40, going his final furlong in less than 12 seconds, Howard said.

The $500,000 Mervin Muniz drew an excellent field of 10, headed by Fair Grounds Handicap winner Daytona, who will break from the far outside stall Saturday. Other top contenders include Brilliant, Proudinsky, and Twilight Meteor.

Saturday’s stakes sequence ends with the Bienville, for female turf sprinters, and begins with the day’s hidden gem, the Duncan Kenner at six furlongs on dirt. The Kenner’s seven-horse field includes King of the Roxy, Noonmark, Euroears, Les Grands Trois, and Semaphore Man.

Still, Saturday afternoon builds to a crescendo in race 9, the Louisiana Derby, in which Pyro can cement his status on the short list of top Kentucky Derby hopefuls. Pyro, who won for just the second time in his career in the Risen Star, breezed an easy half-mile in 50.80 seconds Monday after doing his major Louisiana Derby work last week.

“I loved how he came out of the [last] work, and trusted him to do right, and he did,” trainer Steve Asmussen said.

Pyro and jockey Shaun Bridgmohan drew post 3, directly inside the Asmussen-trained J Be K, who has won two sprint races by more than 12 lengths combined to begin his career. J Be K, the likely pacesetter, will be ridden for the first time by Kent Desormeaux.

“I think that’s an ideal draw for both of them,” Asmussen said.

Tale of Ekati, who makes his first start since finishing a distant fourth in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, drew post position 6, and will be ridden for the first time by Edgar Prado. Tale of Ekati worked five furlongs in 1:00.20 on Monday at the Palm Meadows training center.

Majestic Warrior, who breezed a half-mile in 48.40 seconds on Sunday at Payson Park, fared poorly at the draw, landing post 9 for his two-turn debut. He makes his first start since finishing a distant sixth as the heavy favorite in the Champagne Stakes on Oct. 6, a race in which he was compromised by a foot ailment.

Robby Albarado picks up the mount on Blackberry Road, who had a terrible trip when he finished fifth in the Risen Star.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9628

Very surprised Majestic Warrior has not raced yet in 2008. Tough to win a Grade 1 off a 5-month layoff, but Gomez stays on board, so he's an interesting question mark.

dodif
    dodif's Avatar Become A Pro!

hoping pyro loses so i can get better future derby odds on him

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11896

I will be watching this very close

BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Majestic Warrior throws a real kink in my handicapping for this one. This race should be VERY telling heading into the Derby

mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

hope you've had a good week brock, i'll check and see whats crackin with your picks tomorrow.

choking
    choking's Avatar Become A Pro!

winningponies.com has Majestic Warrior pegged as the 5th ranked horse.

J BE K was ranked #1 over Pyro as well.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Welcome, choking

Check out Ultimate Selector's daily thread and welcome to a growing horse forum here.

choking

Thanks Willi Bee

I'm not very good at handicapping but I sure do like following the 3 year olds.

INVEGA MAN

I was very impressed. I thought when he got boxed in, he was done. But when he got through, it was all over and evreyone else playing for second.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Pyro was solid today.. I had $20 to win on him.

thezbar
    .political science 101
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1712

I played him to place as I don't like short prices on closers. Today he was in the race much earlier and finished full of run. Anyone see any Triple Crown props out there?

gambleonclaimers
    gambleonclaimers's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think pyro looked good in victory i was impressed with blackberry road he is turning into quite a horse he has just had some bad luck with some better luck he might be in some of these races. I hope they point him toward some of the triple crown races

choking

Pyro has been a big favorite of mine since the BC Juvenile. Hit the trifecta that race

Visionaire looked impressive too.. although the commentating made me laugh when they lost sight of the horses through the fog.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I dont think Pyro is going to win the KY Derby because he's a closer and in a 20 horse field he will need racing luck.

choking

I'd be incredibly surprised if the Derby top two weren't War Pass/Pyro

bbyhill
    bbyhill's Avatar Become A Pro!

when was the last time a fav won?was it Pegasus? I know he was the first in over 20yrs

INVEGA MAN

imgv94
    SBR Hall of Famer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think Pyro is going to win the KY Derby because he's a closer and in a 20 horse field he will need racing luck.

If HE GETS BOXED IN WITH 20 HORSES RACING DOWN THE STRETCH, HE COULD BE IN BIG TROUBLE

thezbar
    .political science 101
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

I agree to a point that closers are at a disadvantage in most horse races. However here is the other side of the coin. Churchhill Downs has one of the longest stretchs in North America. Most liklely half the field will be done at the eight pole because they aren't ready to run 1 1/4 miles this early in their racing careers. Plus Pyro displayed the ability to stalk in the Louisianna derby which should give his rider more tactical options.
    I don't care for the plan to race at Keeneland in the next race. Why run on Polytrack? I think the Wood in New York makes more sense.

choking

Why run on Polytrack? I think Michael Matz put it best, it's less harder on the horses and they recover better from races on Polytrack.

thezbar
    .political science 101
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Its a valid note choking. It didn't hurt Street Sense last year. I quess I was flashing back to that slow pace in the Blue Grass and the phony result. As a horseman it could be a wise move. From the view of a handicapper I think it may mask Pyro's true ability if the pace situation repeats itself this year

thezbar
    .political science 101
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by choking View Post
    Why run on Polytrack? I think Michael Matz put it best, it's less harder on the horses and they recover better from races on Polytrack.
    Today's dismal effort by Pyro in the Blue Grass illustrates the danger of passing the Wood to run on the Polytrack at Keeneland. The final quarter mile of the Wood was very slow. Pyro would have run big in there. Doubt that Pyro will ever run on poytrack again. However his odds at the derby will now be larger. Its a double edge sword I quess.

choking

Quote Originally Posted by thezbar View Post
    Today's dismal effort by Pyro in the Blue Grass illustrates the danger of passing the Wood to run on the Polytrack at Keeneland. The final quarter mile of the Wood was very slow. Pyro would have run big in there. Doubt that Pyro will ever run on poytrack again. However his odds at the derby will now be larger. Its a double edge sword I quess.
    I think we will all like the larger odds for the Derby!