mrginandtonic
    mrginandtonic's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3180

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    Did nt like much of card. But epping forest is my only play today
    Yeah, didn't like the race much either. Didn't expect the 3 to get bet like that. Good call on your 6, came second. Easy exacta for you.

mrginandtonic

DRF Race of the Day, Saratoga Race 9, Hall of Fame 1 1/16 on Turf

Expert Picks: Mike- 4- Yoshida, Dan- 1- Bricks and Mortar

If the race stays on turf, we have a heck of a race, I think. We know the favorite 1-Bricks and Mortar is gonna run his race with Chad Brown, seems like he wins everything nowadays. The 2-Big Handsome and 4- Yoshida are all obvious choices. However, with these low odds, I will try to beat them with the 10- Arklow. Looking at the form, if we throw out the last race, he did really well when switched to turf. His last race was off a short break and the distance may have been a little tough for off the layoff. I think there should be a pace for him to run at. Afterall, he is the only one that actually won a Graded Stake. Especially, when the ML is 10-1, I think he is just as good as the others.

$10 WP 10
    $5 EX 10/ 1, 4
    $1 Tri 10/ 1, 4, 6/ 1, 2, 4, 6

As usually, comments and suggestions are always welcome. GL all.

mrginandtonic

Quote Originally Posted by mrginandtonic View Post
    DRF Race of the Day, Saratoga Race 9, Hall of Fame 1 1/16 on Turf

Expert Picks: Mike- 4- Yoshida, Dan- 1- Bricks and Mortar

If the race stays on turf, we have a heck of a race, I think. We know the favorite 1-Bricks and Mortar is gonna run his race with Chad Brown, seems like he wins everything nowadays. The 2-Big Handsome and 4- Yoshida are all obvious choices. However, with these low odds, I will try to beat them with the 10- Arklow. Looking at the form, if we throw out the last race, he did really well when switched to turf. His last race was off a short break and the distance may have been a little tough for off the layoff. I think there should be a pace for him to run at. Afterall, he is the only one that actually won a Graded Stake. Especially, when the ML is 10-1, I think he is just as good as the others.

$10 WP 10
    $5 EX 10/ 1, 4
    $1 Tri 10/ 1, 4, 6/ 1, 2, 4, 6

Well, Arklow did not make a move at all. got to re-evaluate this horse. Disappointing.

mrginandtonic

DRF Race of the Day, Race 8- La Jolla Handicap, 1 1/16 on Turf

Since not time till post time, aside from the obvious 7- Sharp Samurai, I will also take a shot at the 5- Offshore, ML 20-1. I think he has a chance to get into mix. He may not be good enough, but I like her pedigree and he closes every time. I know Drysdale hasn't won a graded stake in like forever, and the odds are against him. But with 8 minutes to post and it's 23-1, I will take a small stab.

$5 WP 5- Offshore
    $2 Ex Box 5,7
    $0.50 Box 2,5,7

mrginandtonic

Looking back at this thread, I started it over 3 years ago. How time flies..... Haven't post much in this thread lately, but I will try to keep it going when I see something good. Like today's Travers....

DRF Race of the Day, 8.26, Saratoga, The Travers @ 1 1/4 on Dirt

This year's 3 year old crop has been disappointing. A lot of them still has a big question mark. With that said, I think that's why we have a field of 12 who will try to grab a piece of that $1.25mil purse. I mean we have the Kentucky Derby winner @ 6-1, the Preakness winner @ 8-1, and the Belmont winner @ 7/2. Then, we have Baffert's horse 3- West Coast @ 4-1, and the famous one run closer 8- Lookin At Lee @ 30-1, and McLaughlin's lightly raced horse that costs $800k @ 30-1. What a crazy set of horses with crazy ML odds. The experts at DRF picked 1-Cloud Computing (Mike) and 5-Good Samaritan (Dan). To me, the biggest question is who can do this classic distance. On paper, it looks like 7- Always Dreaming should get the lead and ride like he did in the Derby. On closer look, I actually think he will have more company that he wants. And there are quite a few that are closers. With that, I think the winner will come from one that is mid pack and tactical speed. With a price, the 9-McCraken (ML 12-1) and 10-Irap (ML 8-1) are very interesting. Especially Irap, this horse looks most improved after the break from the Derby. He is one of few that has cracked over 100 Beyer speed since the Derby. And McCraken always tries and he is out of Ghostzapper and I think he should relish the distance. They are drawn on the outside, they should be able to get a clean trip sitting in the middle and make the first move against leaders.

$10 WP 9, 10
    $2 Ex 9, 10/ 4, 5, 9, 10
    $0.5 Tri 9,10/ 4, 5, 9, 10/all

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Louisvillekid1

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68749

I have been waiting since the Derby to see Always Dreaming with a clean right eye trip and fit to win.

Don't have a form but with the 6 hole, he might get it.

If so, that will answer questions about how good he is.

Best of luck with your picks.

Pace makes the race, right Mr. G and T ?

If you get pace and pressure, you should be in the game.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

love the thread, check daily

mrginandtonic

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    I have been waiting since the Derby to see Always Dreaming with a clean right eye trip and fit to win.

Don't have a form but with the 6 hole, he might get it.

If so, that will answer questions about how good he is.

Best of luck with your picks.

Pace makes the race, right Mr. G and T ?

If you get pace and pressure, you should be in the game.
    Yes, i think pace will make this race. I believe Always will get pressure in front today, especially from the 12-Fayeq who is gonna break outside of him and put pressure for at least first mile then Fayeq will probably fade (I don't think he is a true 1 1/4 horse). Also I think the 2 will also put pressure on as well. Then 9 and 10 should be riped to come around the far turn on the outside to take aim at Always Dreaming.... think Always dreaming and Tapwrit will be third or fourth. One of the closers will be 2nd. I'm seeing this race as a very close race at the wire, photo finish excitement.

Thanks for dropping by. Take a look at the free PP for this race from DRF and let me know what you think.

mrginandtonic

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    love the thread, check daily
    Thank you sir. It certainly is more lively in the horse racing forum since you started posting. Great job. I will be checking yours as well.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Yes, i think pace will make this race. I believe Always will get pressure in front today, especially from the 12-Fayeq who is gonna break outside of him and put pressure for at least first mile then Fayeq will probably fade (I don't think he is a true 1 1/4 horse). Also I think the 2 will also put pressure on as well. Then 9 and 10 should be riped to come around the far turn on the outside to take aim at Always Dreaming.... think Always dreaming and Tapwrit will be third or fourth. One of the closers will be 2nd. I'm seeing this race as a very close race at the wire, photo finish excitement.

Thanks for dropping by. .Take a look at the free PP for this race from DRF and let me know what you think
    Where are they on DRF.com?

mrginandtonic

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Where are they on DRF.com?
    you can google " DRF Race of the Day"

or this is the link: http://www.drf.com/events/race-of-the-day

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

you can google " DRF Race of the Day"

or this is the link: http://www.drf.com/events/race-of-the-day
    Thanks Mr. G and T.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Thanks for dropping by. Take a look at the free PP for this race from DRF and let me know what you think.
    Saw the DRF. Thank you for that !

Always Dreaming had no choice but to go to the lead in his last two races.

No way he was 100% on his game for the last one.

Today, he does have a choice.

The comment under his pp's about going to the lead was all due to post position or pressure on his right side early. When looked in his eye, he folded both times, although I really do not consider his last race at all.

Today, the 1 as well as the 12 can go to the lead as long as A.D. rates kindly. I hope he does just so I can see if he is tons better just off the pace and clean to his right until at least the stretch area.

If that happens, we will know definitively what kind of horse he is or is not.

But for your sake, lets hope he does not rate kindly and duels quickly for your picks.

Should be interesting.

Isn't it funny how he was the next great horse in May and a 6-1 shot now.

What a difference 90+ days makes.

What a game !
    Last edited by str; 08-26-17 at 02:27 PM.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

IF Always Dreaming can relax and rate which he was doing in the spring and did in the Derby, Irap along with the 1 and the 12 seem on paper to be the only horses that could make the lead earlier than they are thinking. The 1 and 12 more so than Irap but whoever breaks well or doesn't can force horses to be in spots they don't want to be in sometimes.
    A.D. can really screw up the plans of those 3 horses if he rates and gets outside position. That would mean letting Irap be almost on the lead, or several lengths behind A. D. early on. The break and the first 100 yards will tell a lot.

Very interesting race.

mrginandtonic

I totally agree, the break and the first 100 yds will tell a lot. Whether the 10 can establish position sitting right behind and outside of A.D, and how A.D. will respond to being pinch in the middle will make a lot difference on how he will do. A very interesting race indeed. I just hope the 9 and the 10 will have a clean trip sitting in the mid pack and make that run. Time will tell.

mrginandtonic

Baffert at a price, got to love that.... can't believe no one challenge Smith on the lead. I also took the 4, thinking Pletcher at a price, but forgot about Baffert at a price. Stupid me. sometimes, that's how it is.....

mrginandtonic

Haven't been posting here for some time. Since Kentucky Derby is just around the corner, I figure I will revive this thread with some prep race for the Derby given by DRF Race of the Day.

The Rebel at Oaklawn Park is DRF Race of the Day.

The experts picked (3- Solomini and 5-Higher Power). I think this is an interesting race cuz Solomini has been out since December due to some minor issues. On paper, he should win. Today, I will also try to beat him only because looking at this race, I think pace will make the difference on the outcome. There are a lot of similar running style horse and some front runners. I think that the pace will be fast and Solomini may run into traffic problem and trap inside. The way I see this race, trainer Asmussen has it covered. He has a front runner, 1- Title Ready; tactical runner, 10- Combantant; and deep closer, 9- Zing Zang. Asumssen wants this and his best rider here is on the 10- Combatant. I think Combatant will sit outside midpack and maybe a little behind Solomini. Hopefully, he can outrun Solomini. My pick for The Rebel

$20WP 10- Combantant (ML 8-1)
    $5 Ex 10 with 1, 3, 4, 7
    $20 Ex Box 3, 10
    $1 Tri 10 with 1, 3, 4, 7 with 1, 3, 4, 7

Last edited by mrginandtonic; 03-17-18 at 12:57 PM. Reason: incorrect ML

mrginandtonic

Found this article from DRF Timeform:

" #10, COMBATANT (8-1): If you like to bet horses off against-the-bias trips, this is probably the runner you want in this race. He was the only runner among the top four finishers in the Southwest that did not ride the rail for a significant portion of his trip. Rather, he was wide throughout after breaking from an outside post position. It briefly appeared as if he was going to threaten the eventual winner at the top of the stretch, but he veered into Sporting Chance and lost some momentum. He also had a right to flatten out in the late stages given his far more taxing trip. He figures to offer value in this race as no better than the fourth choice. On the other hand, I wonder about this colt’s distance limitations. There’s more sprint pedigree on the dam’s side of his pedigree and Scat Daddy is not the strongest stamina influence. He’s versatile enough to run well even without the aid of a very fast pace, so I expect him to make his way into the trifecta. It just feels like one or two others may prove better once again. "

I liked how he raced last time and with a better trip, he should have a say in the outcome. As to his sprint pedigree, I think he should be fine with 1 1/16, just not sure about the classic distance.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3620

Here is predicted early pace breakdown of the race.

mrginandtonic

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Here is predicted early pace breakdown of the race.
    Yeah, saw that too. But I don’t really agree with the 4 position. I think he will be outside of the 3-Solomini and racing head to head with him. With the 1 inisde and 7 outside going to the front. I think Solomini will be pinned inside for much of the race. (Hoping)

Easy-Rider 66

Yeah, saw that too. But I don’t really agree with the 4 position. I think he will be outside of the 3-Solomini and racing head to head with him. With the 1 inisde and 7 outside going to the front. I think Solomini will be pinned inside for much of the race. (Hoping)
    Yeah see your point but last race the 4 showed very little speed. His race at first asking he showed speed. So tough to say what he will do. Tough race. May make a pick.

Easy-Rider 66

Going to play the #1 Title Ready here. Like the improvement with the shades last race and he should get the distance. Also Box 1/2/3. GL.

mrginandtonic

Going to play the #1 Title Ready here. Like the improvement with the shades last race and he should get the distance. Also Box 1/2/3. GL.
    GL, I like the 1 too, just not sure how he would be with the pressure in the front.

Easy-Rider 66

GL, I like the 1 too, just not sure how he would be with the pressure in the front.
    Same concern for me. Hoping he can get the lead on the inside or rate behind the 3 and 7. Should be a good race.

mrginandtonic

Same concern for me. Hoping he can get the lead on the inside or rate behind the 3 and 7. Should be a good race.
    The only drawback with my pick is the outside post. But on paper, looks like he should be able to come in relatively quick without losing a lot ground. Yeah, I think it is gonna a good race and a good betting race too. Hopefully, Solomini's long layoff will affect him a little bit.

BTW, I see that you and Hart both changed avatar to pink floyd.... something going on?? concert or something. The wall is one of my favorite album of all time.

Easy-Rider 66

The only drawback with my pick is the outside post. But on paper, looks like he should be able to come in relatively quick without losing a lot ground. Yeah, I think it is gonna a good race and a good betting race too. Hopefully, Solomini's long layoff will affect him a little bit.

BTW, I see that you and Hart both changed avatar to pink floyd.... something going on?? concert or something. The wall is one of my favorite album of all time.
    No I did not realize Hart's avatar was Pink Floyd Related. Yeah Floyd is one
    of my fav bands. Figured I would put it up for a bit. GL on the race. Looks wide open.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9668

me neither..I think they may feel it necessary to press the
    7 which he might be capable of doing..don't see solimini on the lead and probably as you said will be sitting on the rail just off the speed

mrginandtonic

Recap from DRF:

"MAGNUM MOON pressed the pace in the three path, bid on the far turn, went clear in the stretch and won under intermittent pressure. SOLOMINI stalked the pace in the three path, bid at the quarter pole and was steadied while in tight, then came again late. COMBATANT was bumped early, bid inside at the three-eighths pole, angled three wide in the stretch and just missed the
    place. TITLE READY led inside, then faded in the stretch"

Watching the race, the race pretty much unfolded as predicted, Solomini was trapped inside, had to steady in the far turn. Combatant gave a good effort, lost by a head to Solomini. Magnum Moon had the best trip with the hottest rider right now. Till next time, good luck all and have fun at the races.

mrginandtonic

It has been a while since I last post on this thread. Today, looks like a good day to revive it. DRF experts likes the 6- Fernanada and 10- Kitten’s Covergirl. 10 is scratched. Like the 10 initially but now I think I’m gonna go with the 5- Monte Crista (ML 9-2). Don’t really like the two Chas Brown horses. Do like the 1- Quaff (ML 20-1), but she just broke maiden so gonna put underneath. I think the pace should set up right for the 5.

$5 WP 5- Monte Crista (ML 9-2)
    $2 EX 5/1, 4

GL all.

Easy-Rider 66

GL Mr. G&T: good to see you have bumped this thread.

Easy-Rider 66

It has been a while since I last post on this thread. Today, looks like a good day to revive it. DRF experts likes the 6- Fernanada and 10- Kitten’s Covergirl. 10 is scratched. Like the 10 initially but now I think I’m gonna go with the 5- Monte Crista (ML 9-2). Don’t really like the two Chas Brown horses. Do like the 1- Quaff (ML 20-1), but she just broke maiden so gonna put underneath. I think the pace should set up right for the 5.

$5 WP 5- Monte Crista (ML 9-2)
    $2 EX 5/1, 4

GL all.
    5 wins 5/4 ex hits. Saw too late or might have tailed as well.

mrginandtonic

GL Mr. G&T: good to see you have bumped this thread.
    Thanks EZ, thought I would give it another try with this thread.

mrginandtonic

5 wins 5/4 ex hits. Saw too late or might have tailed as well.
    I posted it really late. Was busy then I remember last night when I was looking at the Travers , I also looked at this race as well. Almost miss the race myself.

Getch13
    Getch13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 66470

Nice hit G&T I'll be looking forward to this renewed thread

mrginandtonic

Quote Originally Posted by Getch13 View Post
    Nice hit G&T I'll be looking forward to this renewed thread
    Thanks Getch, will try my best to keep it running.

First ... 891011121314 Last