naresh8055
    naresh8055's Avatar Become A Pro!

Where The Surf Meets The Turf- The History of Del Mar

Racing is in full swing at the Del Mar racetrack in California as the august facility heads into its 72nd racing season. The track is known as one of prettiest given its location on the edge of the Pacific. With its first Grade 1 race of the season set for Sunday, Del Mar continues to provide some of the best thoroughbred racing in the country.

Can't make it to the races? Bet all of Del Mar's races from the comfort of your home at Bodog's 24/7 online Racebook!

The city of Del Mar is located north of San Diego on the Pacific Ocean and has a population of just over 4,000 residents. Long a playground for the rich and famous, the seaside town has a unique and storied history. It is however probably best defined by the Del Mar racetrack, which over the years has become one of the leading meets in the country hosting no less than 20 graded stakes races every year.

The Del Mar racetrack’s beginnings are arguably the stuff of movies as the track was originally founded by Hollywood stars. Jimmy Durante, Pat O’Brien, Oliver Hardy, and Bing ‘bag of oranges” Crosby all were partners in the venture which was a great success from the very start. Built in 1937, Del Mar embodies distinctive West Coast architecture and style.

Now almost three quarters of a century later, the Del Mar meet continues to grow and gain respect. Combined with Saratoga’s meet on the East Coast, Del Mar is the backbone of mid-summer thoroughbred racing and its best races of the season are yet to come. Look out for the Bing Crosby Grade 1 Stakes on July 31st and for the Clement L. Hirsch Grade 1 Stakes on August 9th.

thezbar
    .political science 101
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1700

Del Mar dropped off my map when they installed Polycrap.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Loved everything about that place when I used to live in So. Cal, couldn't be a more different environment than Hollywood Park.

madmaxx
    madmaxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Quote Originally Posted by thezbar View Post
    Del Mar dropped off my map when they installed Polycrap.
    Its always been more about the party scene or event than the actual racing but I agree that the poly has downgraded the racing as many trainers simply won't come here.

thezbar
    .political science 101
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1700

I was on track Saturday. Beautiful! The ocean, the crowd for the concert, seeing old friends, The sunset over the ocean, those are the things I remember. The racing was I will soon forget. I'd rather bet Ferndale to be honest, that's how much I dislike that racing surface.

dugbug15
    dugbug15's Avatar Become A Pro!

i like your mini report of delmar.it is my number #1 vacation destination target.i hope to make it down there someday.maybe next season.
    good luck everyone.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Used to live in that area, right on the ocean. Love at first sight. I think I'll make the trip to that track later this month.