str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68773

Quote Originally Posted by mrginandtonic View Post
    One more question about horses that gets better after they switch trainers; I always wondered what does next trainer do differently from the previous. Sometimes I see things like switching distances or surfaces; other times are not as obvious. Thanks in advance
    There are obvious things a trainer might do but more times than not, it is the subtle things that you can not see that can turn a horse around. In White Abarrio's case, it looks like a big factor was his feet.
    From reading here over the years I'm sure you have heard me talk about white feet and grey horses that probably like an off track and, or turf. Simply put, the surface is softer and they appreciate that. A lot.
    There can be other things like a feed that the horse really likes, to help gain weight but honestly, when a horse, just like us, can get relief from a nagging ache or slight pain, you feel brand new. That alone makes you want to eat, and thrive, enjoy and be happier. In that respect, animals are just like us, or should I say we are just like them.

Because so many different things can irritate us, and them, like teeth, eyes, feet, ulcers, you name it, if a trainer can get a horse and identify a problem, not just a knee or an ankle and turn that problem around, the horse will show it in the afternoon.

It might also be their mouth, a really tender area that has a bit in it almost everyday. Having equipment on a horse that makes them relax and enjoy what they do can move a horse way up. Getting the breathing right is subtle but obviously huge. Relaxing as well.

Bottom line is there are too many to list. What it is all about is seeing the horse enough to do everything in your power to make them as happy and sound as you can and run them where they can gain confidence through success.

There are just a thousand things we could talk about so here are , off the top of my head, just a few things that made so so horses into very solid and consistent ones . And don't get me wrong, the trainer simply supplied the opportunity, it was the horse that actually did it.

A horse that ran off galloping everyday. Just too head strong to be able to hold him or her.- Gallop him with the pony and don't turn him loose or jog them 2 miles instead of galloping 1 mile.
    A horse that is underweight. Fix their teeth. Chances are they are razor sharp and it hurts to bite the oats through so they just swallow and pass them without cracking them and getting the nutrition needed to carry weight. Check for ulcers. Nobody can perform well when that is going on.

Change the blinkers. Cut them back, put them on, take them off, open them up or close them up. Change something and see what the horse responds to.

Sore feet- as you saw, glue ones.

There are a thousand of these things. If you are around a trainer that knows this, you will learn by simply being there everyday and observing. But if not, you can only be as smart as the people that taught you or showed you.

And this might sound kind of easy. It's anything but easy. It's why many just can't do it. But those that can, look like they are magicians.

Of course, in todays world, although getting much better every year, the drug trainers look like they are great as well. It's not really that hard to see right through them though. People that are there everyday know the difference if they care to try to.

If there is anything in particular about a horse Mr. GandT, please let me know, now or anytime. Hope this has helped some. I know it is a bit vague but there are too many little things that can change a horse either way to even begin to list them.

Make you horse happy, and life is good.

All the best sir !

mrginandtonic
    mrginandtonic's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3192

Thank you very much for the detail info. I guess a lot of has to do with how season is the trainer. Experience counts and attention to details. For a large barn, I wonder how much attention does each horse gets….

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by mrginandtonic View Post
    Thank you very much for the detail info. I guess a lot of has to do with how season is the trainer. Experience counts and attention to details. For a large barn, I wonder how much attention does each horse gets….
    Every trainer is different. King Leatherbury never checked a horses leg. If there was a problem, the vet dealt with it and kept King informed. But King was not some fine "horseman". What King was , was a genius at running a well oiled machine through mathematics, theory, percentages and those areas. At first I was amazed at how " bad" he was. Bad help, not much leg work, never there in the mornings to watch his horses train. He was NEVER at the track to watch a workout. A polar opposite of how I learned and performed things. I was young and thought he was wrong. But as I got older, I realized the genius in his training. " There was indeed more than one way to skin a cat. "His way". And it landed him in the Hall Of Fame.
    Bud Delp is in as well. Spectacular Bid got him there. Meyerhoff , the owner had more money than all of Dickie's owners combined.

Dickie should absolutely be in the HOF. His time on earth was cut short by pancreatic cancer. He died at 61. He won 3,666 races from 12,887 starters. That's 28%+. That's insane ! And again, NO illegal drugs or doings of ANY kind. I should know, I would have been the one doing those things in all probability during my time as asst. trainer if that was the case. And it never was considered . EVER !

His sin was being a claiming trainer who also turned at least one of them into a multiple grade one winner. He beat Halo on the turf in the Oceanport with a 14,500 claimer. I could go on and on and on but I think I have made my point. Claiming trainers just do not get the credit in the eyes of the blue bloods that Stake horses and Stake trainers do.
    Such is life I guess.
    Maybe when Rickie goes in, if he doesn't get blacklisted again, his dad could go in at the same time posthumously. How cool would that be?

Better later than never. I can only hope someone with a voice in that arena of the selection committee can come to realize that. Don't need a favor, just peruse the career and let the record speak for itself.

So the amount of attention to detail was completely over the top in Dutrow's barn. Completely.

When I lived with him, me and the boys were watching a Monday night football game with Dickie in the basement. It was always lights out at 10:30 PM. The games started at 9:00 PM back then. It's 3 seconds to half time and I forget who the kicker was, something tells me it was the Raiders , but whatever, and they were lining up for a field goal just before half time. Think someone called a timeout so we waited a couple of minutes. Then they start to line up again just before 1/2 time and the basement coo coo clock goes off at 10:30. The kicker is just kicking the ball and as we watch to see if it is good, Dickie hits the remote and says. " That's it boys. Lights out. See you in the morning". The TV goes off and we had to wait until the next morning to see if the kicker made the kick and see the final score.
    That's stuff you can't make up. And that's the stuff that molded his boys to be who they are today. GREAT horsemen. All of them, Chippy as well. Simply great horsemen.
    It's a true pleasure to have gotten the opportunity to be around that at such a young age. It certainly impacted my life and I guess you could say, it served me well.

Thanks Boss !

And thank you Mr. GandT for the trip through the wayback machine.

All the best to you !
    Last edited by str; 11-07-23 at 09:36 AM.

mrginandtonic

Thanks so much for sharing your memories!! Yeah, i myself remember Dutrow was very good, along with Frankel, Drysdale and Mandella were some of my favorite trainers that I remember from back in the days. I am glad that he is back in the game and back at winning!! Really happy for the connections. Congrats!!

mrginandtonic

Thanks so much for sharing your memories!! Yeah, i myself remember Dutrow was very good, along with Frankel, Drysdale and Mandella were some of my favorite trainers that I remember from back in the days. I am glad that he is back in the game and back at winning!! Really happy for the connections. Congrats!!

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8182

hey str

parx R7

#1 everheart (8-1) 2:47

first time starter

michael pino (who i know is another dutrow protege) having a great meet and solid with maidens.. gets best jock to ride.. solid pedigree (especially for a pa bred) and hasn't missed a work ..rail not the best place to be but overall lots of positives..thought you'd like to know about this one

Last edited by JBEX; 11-08-23 at 10:54 AM.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    hey str

parx R7

first time starter

michael pino (who i know is another dutrow protege) having a great meet and solid with maidens.. gets best jock to ride.. solid pedigree (especially for a pa bred) and hasn't missed a work ..rail not the best place to be but overall lots of positives..thought you'd like to know about this one

was a vet scratch well before 1st race post ..should have seen that..sorry

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

hey str

parx R7

first time starter

was a vet scratch well before 1st race post ..should have seen that..sorry
    No problem JBEX. Appreciate keeping me in the game somewhat.

The vet scratch thing sounds worse than it is. It makes it sound like there is a soreness issue. Not necessarily that at all. It is for any scratch that the vet will back up. It could be for a slight fever, cough, heck, anything that makes the horse not "just right". And it is typically at the direction of the trainer not the vet so that leaves the door open to be an opinion scratch for any reason the trainer came up with.

Perfectly legal but the way they term that type of scratch, it can be misleading to the handicapper to say the least. Look for this one to be in again when the race comes back. Probably about 2 weeks.

Thanks JBEX.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    No problem JBEX. Appreciate keeping me in the game somewhat.

The vet scratch thing sounds worse than it is. It makes it sound like there is a soreness issue. Not necessarily that at all. It is for any scratch that the vet will back up. It could be for a slight fever, cough, heck, anything that makes the horse not "just right". And it is typically at the direction of the trainer not the vet so that leaves the door open to be an opinion scratch for any reason the trainer came up with.

Perfectly legal but the way they term that type of scratch, it can be misleading to the handicapper to say the least. Look for this one to be in again when the race comes back. Probably about 2 weeks.

Thanks JBEX.

no problem str and that's a useful thing to know..you nailed it with 2 weeks (exactly) ..sprint distance
    that day and a route the day before but they're both open company..with limited opportunities and it being not a top level track wouldn't be surprised if she goes

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

also ..rick's got 4 going today @ aqu (2,3,5,9)..must still be feeling on top of the world I'm sure

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

hey str

it'll be interesting to see what the next move for white abarrio will be..have to think they're consideting the pegasus wc @ gulfstream and on to dubai for the wc there ..$3M and $12M purses respectively..then finish the year the way he did this year..met,whitney and bc classic..man what a year that would be .. love to see him attempt this

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

hey str

it'll be interesting to see what the next move for white abarrio will be..have to think they're consideting the pegasus wc @ gulfstream and on to dubai for the wc there ..$3M and $12M purses respectively..then finish the year the way he did this year..met,whitney and bc classic..man what a year that would be .. love to see him attempt this

This is Rick the morning after the Classic.

When I tell you that all of you would love this guy, if this doesn't show it, nothing will.

He is funny as hell. Always joking around.
    My man !

BTW, a cracked heel is like a piece of dry skin that is rough and wants to crack. Like your heel maybe. Nothing that can't be controlled.

Last edited by str; 11-10-23 at 08:01 AM.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

This is Rick the morning after the Classic.

When I tell you that all of you would love this guy, if this doesn't show it, nothing will.

He is funny as hell. Always joking around.
    My man !

BTW, a cracked heel is like a piece of dry skin that is rough and wants to crack. Like your heel maybe. Nothing that can't be controlled.

wasn't thinking about the saudi cup .. thats the biggest purse of them all and he'll be going there fresh and ready..dubai wc a month after that and a short hop to get there ..the former a 1 turn mile @ 9f which is a very similar layout to belmont..nice setup to go back to 10f in dubai ..no met mile but the whitney again and wasnt mentioned (maybe i missed it) but I'm sure bc classic finishes it off .. that's about $40M in purses and the whitney makes up less than 3% of that .. prestige though as besides the bc classic the most important race for older horses in this country..obviously things have to go right along the way but love the plan..really a no-brainer with the huge purses over there

loved in spite of all that prestige and money with WA he still can't wait to claim some horses ..sure he'll get some owners who want to do that along with others who are going for bigger things from the start..a sports bettor also lol..really is a character and hope next year is a good one for him ..enjoyed the interview str and thanks for posting it

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Wanted to touch on a few subjects:

In no particular order.

Cody, of Cody's Wish fame, sadly passed away on the way back home from the Breeders Cup. Not sure what to make of that. Very sad, yet, it makes you think. Apparently he had said to his parents through a tablet which he communicated with, that he thought he was ready to die fairly recently. Did he know it was the horses last race? And was that keeping him around?
    I'm not one to believe in crazy stuff, but maybe it only seems crazy to me because I don't really understand it.
    Whatever it was, and not personally being a believer in coincidences, it does make me wonder how little I know about things I see sometimes.
    Such a poignant and heart felt story, I would have to think that the voters will make Cody's Wish the horse of the year as well as sprinter of the year.
    And as much as it would be great for Ricky to win it with White Albarrio, it just feels like the right thing to do IMO. Even Ricky mentioned that. He felt the same way. No surprise to me.
    Boy, if people only knew who he REALLY was instead of how he was painted to the public.

Echo Zulu had an uneventful couple of weeks since her surgery. That is great news ! And while in my mind she is not out of the woods yet, her odds improve a little each week she does well. Here's hoping.

Arcangelo had surgery to repair a condylar fracture in a hind leg. That type of fracture is a crack that runs WITH the grain of the bone . Like when you would crack a baseball bat. The crack did not reach the joint of the ankle or hock
    (back Knee) apparently. It is in the center of the hind cannon bone between the ankle and the hock. That type of surgery is highly successful. And while you are never without worry of blood flow, heeling process, or foundering problems from the trauma and it being so far from the heart which makes blood flow more difficult, this surgery is typically not as scary as the one the Echo Zulu had and not close to what Geaux Rocket Ride tried in vein to overcome.
    Again, here's hoping for the best.

GL with your plays everyone. And do remember that starting this time of year, in cold weather racing areas, noting what it looks like under the inner rail is an important thing to look at. Has the grader blade been there? That's where it always starts. The colder it is, the more the dirt needs to be graded because with every trip around with the harrows, the dirt moves downhill towards the rail. And extra harrowing is necessary to prevent freezing.

And with that, watching trips inside, not just the leader but those behind as well but on the fence, can help determine if the rail was a huge edge that day or not so much.
    Maintenance crews like to go on schedules. And yes, incoming wet weather will alter those forward. But keeping a chart of each day as to inside, outside, speed, closers, or no bias at all, can really give you information that most do not have as the winter goes on. I guess they have a line for that in the form but no way I would trust that mainly because I can't trust who is doing it and how much they actually know.
    You are only as good as your worst piece of information when you handicap IMO. Leaving that to someone else to interpret and not knowing if that person was sharp or just learning, for me would be lazy on my part in my eyes. Obviously not if you are playing multiple tracks, which I never did, but more along the lines of if you play one track as a main source of you plays. I would have to think that multiple tracks would be a ton of work.

hawkwind
    hawkwind's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22991

THX str !!! Good 411 ... GL with your Selections 2Day & May ALL your Selections be Winning Ones !!!

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

was really great sportsmanship on rick's part to say maybe cody's wish should get it considering the circumstances (WA being a contender and the boy's passing) .. nice that he got to see him in the winner's circle one more time before he passed

based on what you said when the weather is regularly in the 20's and 30's the inside is more likely (but not necassarily) to be a
    disadvantage if proper track maintenance is performed..in general do you think this is something they're more likely to stay on top of the higher the level of the track is ?

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3620

THX for the run down on various topics STR. BOL to you and yours in the coming 2024. RIP CODY.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

was really great sportsmanship on rick's part to say maybe cody's wish should get it considering the circumstances (WA being a contender and the boy's passing) .. nice that he got to see him in the winner's circle one more time before he passed

based on what you said when the weather is regularly in the 20's and 30's the inside is more likely (but not necassarily) to be a
    disadvantage if proper track maintenance is performed..in general do you think this is something they're more likely to stay on top of the higher the level of the track is ?

I think what it most likely is that if the inside is different than the rest of the surface, there is a good reason. That could be better and not as deep ,or deeper and slower because of more cushion.
    Track maintenance will work hard to try and make it even each day. That's the goal. But... what if it needed grading in a perfect world after today's card but weather was on the way and it would be muddy according to forecasts by the time the races are over. And we know that you can't grade mud?
    If that's the case, they are forced to grade it before it is actually due and that helps create an inside bias, albeit speed and or rail. You can never just say speed. You have to watch and rate it for future use as well as playing that day. They may also not have a chance to grade it because over night, it got so cold and had old moisture in it, that if they stopped harrowing to grade for two hours (about how long it takes), the concern of losing the track to freezing prevented them from doing so.
    Human error, albeit slight, can also be a problem. As good as these guys are, if they miss either way buy a 1/4 of an inch, that can effect the track especially early on.
    It is a perfect science that has to be done in an imperfect way. Because of that, there has to be times when it will be better or worse. That is information most do not have but anyone willing to take it into consideration will have. Sooner or later, that has to be an edge. And yes, they can grade in the dark but it is certainly more difficult and the chance of error has to be higher. So they try and do it with light but that means, as soon as the track closes for training and before the 1st race, or just after the last race which buys you about 45 minutes before darkness. They can't finish with light but the middle to the outside is not used all that much so they go with that. There are also plenty of times when they cannot get to the chute but can only do the main track. You should look for that as well.

In today's world the EPA is all over them to not allow runoff into the sewer system. So, all tracks will grade and try and dodge weather but the better tracks have much bigger budgets so sure, Aqueduct is probably going to do a better job all around than Penn National I guess. But I have no proof of that, just an assumption. Also, the cost of buying and spreading additional dirt throughout the winter is high. Nobody wants to do that if it can be helped.

There are terrible and great rails to be found every winter anywhere there is cold weather and racing. It's not terrible if you don't find them, but man, when you do, it's like having tomorrows paper the day before sometimes. That is a dream probably every horse player has had. Lol. I know I have.
    And having that notation you can make on your racing form or any pp's is a line that most will not have and can very well explain an above average performance and better still, a below average performance buy a horse. Those will produce overlays and underlays and that's what handicapping is all about. Finding those plays. Do they all win or lose on cue? No. Of course not. But enough will that once you find it, it will be difficulty to go a winter without it. I know it was for me so I assume it will be for others.
    That's why I am sharing this. It is information most will not be privy to. It's the old, "the harder I work, the smarter I get".

Lastly, if they have to over grade and the inside is better for a race or two until the harrows go around, they will go with that because that means the track was fair for 7 out of 9 races. There is no gambling going on here, or inside information. They are trying to make the card as fair as possible.
    You would be shocked if I told you how many people were truly on top of this in the 80's and 90's. You could count the trainers one one hand and have fingers left over. And jockeys? No. Certainly not in Maryland back then. Today, I can't say. I just don't have that information but I doubt it is what one might assume it is.
    It takes a gamblers mind and thought process to look at things that way. Most trainers are NOT that. As are most jockey's not that.

Hope it helps JBEX and hope it helps anyone that reads this.

GL everyone.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

I hate bashing people and try hard not to. But this guy, he needs it. So here goes.

I have been holding my tongue for two years as we have watched the train wreck that is also known as the racing management of Rich Strike.
    Now, he has been an 11th hour scratch from the Keenland breeding and racing sale . This horse since winning the Derby in a total fluke due to a torrid early pace where all the horses were staggering through the stretch, which allowed him to rally from 15th through the stretch, has been a mess ever since.

He has been raced in one dumb spot after another. Trainers have been fired , hired, walked away, call it want you want. They even screwed up a potential movie deal that Payton Manning wanted to create.
    The good news is , he still has his nw3 lifetime condition. The bad news is, as long as this owner has anything to say about the horse, he is probable to keep that condition.
    Good thing they skipped the Preakness to keep him “on schedule”.

He will apparently stay in light training until the owner decides what is next.
    Good luck with that.
    What a shame for the horse. He can’t pick who owns him.

Easy-Rider 66

With that victory in the finale, Richard Dutrow has won with his last 4 starters, and he's on a 6-for-12 run dating back to White Abarrio's Classic victory earlier this month.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    With that victory in the finale, Richard Dutrow has won with his last 4 starters, and he's on a 6-for-12 run dating back to White Abarrio's Classic victory earlier this month.
    I’ve noticed after seeing this that Irad was on the last few at least as well as WA in the Classic.
    I think that Ricky had been hovering around 15% since his return and as soon as he wins the Classic, they are all winning.

It’s a feeling that I can best describe as everything seemingly comes together.
    You get the right post positioning, the horse breaks better, you choose the spots in the condition book and it just all seems to fall into place. The race sets up just the way you hoped it would , etc.,etc.
    If anyone has ever competed before, from this to sports to betting and to anything you are in a competition within, sometimes the decisions you have to make in hindsight all seem to be wrong. It feels like a slump.
    But when things are real good, it all seems to work itself out in a positive way.
    That is where he is right now. And having Irad doesn’t hurt does it ?
    Until you see something change, I would think it would be very hard to keep Ricky off any tickets you buy.
    When you’re hot, you’re hot.
    And he is rolling right now.
    It’s like picking winners. Sometimes you just can’t pick a winner to save your life. But when you are rolling every decision you make works out.
    Confidence is something you can try and have when things seem hard but it is easy to have when you are feeling it. And no doubt, right now he is feelin it.
    Hope that makes sense EZ.
    Last edited by str; 11-20-23 at 02:12 PM.

Easy-Rider 66

THX STR. I agree with your sentiments. Continued good luck to Dutrow and his team.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

I’ve noticed after seeing this that Irad was on the last few at least as well as WA in the Classic.
    I think that Ricky had been hovering around 15% since his return and as soon as he wins the Classic, they are all winning.

It’s a feeling that I can best describe as everything seemingly comes together.
    You get the right post positioning, the horse breaks better, you choose the spots in the condition book and it just all seems to fall into place. The race sets up just the way you hoped it would , etc.,etc.
    If anyone has ever competed before, from this to sports to betting and to anything you are in a competition within, sometimes the decisions you have to make in hindsight all seem to be wrong. It feels like a slump.
    But when things are real good, it all seems to work itself out in a positive way.
    That is where he is right now. And having Irad doesn’t hurt does it ?
    Until you see something change, I would think it would be very hard to keep Ricky off any tickets you buy.
    When you’re hot, you’re hot.
    And he is rolling right now.
    It’s like picking winners. Sometimes you just can’t pick a winner to save your life. But when you are rolling every decision you make works out.
    Confidence is something you can try and have when things seem hard but it is easy to have when you are feeling it. And no doubt, right now he is feelin it.
    Hope that makes sense EZ.
    I wanted to add to this that confidence is contagious. There is an Irad interview I can’t find that was either moments before or after the Classic and Irad was asked why he had so much confidence in Ricky’s horse. Wish I could find it and post it. Think it was on YouTube but anyway he said that when he talked about the race with Ricky, his confidence in the horse doing so well helped Irad buy into it and he became more confident in the horse.
    As we all have experienced, when you really feel confident and it ends up being correct, things that follow just seem clearer and easier to perform.
    That happened with Irad and Rick and I have to think that Irad went to Steve, his agent and said, get me on more of his horses.
    Just a guess but that’s how it works sometimes and when it does, it’s a nice feeling.
    Got a feeling that’s going on as well.

Thanks EZ.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Five years after Justify wins the Santa Anita Derby, he is finally disqualified from the win.

Five Years. But wait, an appeal might be forthcoming. So not so fast.

Let's see, as I remembered it, when a horse had a positive, that horse was disqualified and the purse money redistributed.

It didn't matter WHAT was in the blood and or urine. If it was not allowed it was NOT allowed. But that was way back in the day and well before we were so insightfully told that it is only a few, a dozen or 29 picograms. The quote was,
    "Do you know how small that is"?

Let's not even go into the fact that had Justify not won, he would have not been able to race in the Ky. Derby.

Heck, those are details. Don't worry about that.

So the biggest winners here are... nobody. California Racing has painted itself as ridiculous. Well played.

And the biggest losers? Justify who as great a horse as he was and still is simply deserved better. And right behind him , the fans, who are asked to trust and support the racing product.

Jeez.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

This was revealed at the horse racing symposium this week:

"The largest CAW players are affiliated with Elite Turf Club, which is owned by the Stronach Group and New York Racing Association. Stronach Group and NYRA won't reveal the sweetheart deals given to Elite players or provide wagering details on how much Elite Players are betting or winning. One panelist was blatantly dishonest in saying anyone could get the same deals."

Scott Daruty, a longtime Stronach Group executive, essentially said “trust us” when it comes to the kinds of deals they are giving to the Elite players.
    As former President Ronald Reagan said during negotiations with the Russians on arms control: “Trust, but verify.”
    I'll trust them when they are more transparent and we can verify the deals Elite Turf Club players are getting, how much they are betting, and how much they are taking out of the pools."

Yeah, that's what every horse player should do is "trust" management. You know, like all the horsemen did in Md. multiple times while living on small purses time and again, with my last one being because we were on track to get slots and sports gambling at Laurel Racecourse.
    But when the check was due to the state of Md., the track owners did not send it and failed to let anyone know they were not going to send it until it was too late. Thankfully I left before that blunder occurred.

Just trust them.

I can't image where or how I would be if I stayed through the drug fiasco and now this CAW fiasco.

Makes me sad for my friends that did stay.

Not surprised though, I mean, it's "Business".

That's code for screw you royally.

Mr. Berry always said, "The games on the level, it's the people in it that you have to watch out for."

He was right, as usual.

I find this as really sad.

Easy-Rider 66

Yeah a bit absurd STR. I guess money talks loudly. THX for the update.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

I received some tragic news yesterday. Although it happened 6 years ago, I was stunned. I had no idea.

John , JK, Adams, died in August of 2017 in Oceanport New Jersey. John was the grandson of Hall Of Fame jockey Johnny Adams.

John was a steady rider in Md. From 1977 to about, I guess 1980? Statistics says he rode until 2005. Wow. I had no idea. Here is why.

Just not sure when exactly, but John was involved in a terrible spill at Bowie ( I can still see the helicopter landing at the 3/8ths pole)
    sometime around then. He darn near died. It was real close. I don't remember exactly what all was broken but John was kicked or stepped on in the head in that accident and it changed his life forever.

Helicopter's landing at sights of injuries was brand new then. I think it was the 1st time I had seen that. Johnny was near death for several days but pulled through , albeit with a traumatic brain injury. If memory serves, it took him a over a year to just come to the track for a visit. When he walked, his arms were out from his sides to help him stay balanced. When you talked to him, you could see in his eyes that his mind had finished the sentence but he could not speak as fast as he could think. His speech was slow and methodical. Everyone that knew him felt so bad for him.
    After another year or maybe two, he wanted to try and ride again. For me, that was such a scary thought that I could not find it in me to be a part of that. At least not at first. I did eventually ride him on a mount or two, but that was it. Strictly out of respect for a super nice, kind, down to earth and classy guy, as every bone in my body from a business standpoint was saying to myself, are you out of your friggin mind!

Johnny abandoned any comeback try's soon afterwards and he became a jocks agent for some very ordinary riders. Don't even remember who. So yeah, I rode his rider on a couple of horses but again, just to support Johnny. I didn't want to ride him.

That went away soon enough as well and I do not remember how much longer John was around but eventually, after the jock agent thing that he tried ran it's course, I saw less and less of him. Shortly thereafter I lost touch with him altogether.
    Pretty sad story but it doesn't end there although I just found out the rest of it.

Apparently, John moved down south and as I understand it, started working on a farm that broke babies and prepped horses for the sales. At some point he started riding races again, but I was unaware of that.
    I never saw Johnny again but I knew he was ok somewhere. You would hear his name every now and then. In time, I guess that faded as well.

So fast forward to about 2013 or so and apparently, JK rode a van up from Florida with some horses going to Monmouth Park. Those horses stabled there for the summer and Johnny was with them. Story from there has it that Johnny , I think , stayed at Monmouth and became a hot walker, I guess year around. I did not know they stayed open all year but I am assuming Monmouth does? It's unclear to me. So fast forward again about 3-4 years and Johnny has become a 62 year old hot walker, living on the backside, that was getting and staying drunk apparently all the time. He was a total mess. Story has it that Monmouth security was so sick of Johnny disturbing the peace or being drunk in public I guess, that someone made the decision to expel him from the grounds, which was leaving him out on the street with no money, nowhere to live and no job, and of course, drunk.

Had the jockey's guild or the Md. horseman's group gotten word of that, I cannot imagine that one if not both, although with the Stronach Group, from what I have seen maybe not so much , but certainly the Md. horseman's association who has former riders within it, would have stepped up immediately and taken Johnny in and gotten him some badly needed help. But to my knowledge I do not think anyone knew.( I will find out though. I will call a couple of old riders that still work within the game).

So shortly after being expelled from the grounds, Johnny apparently went to the reservoir which is next to the stable area and I suppose he made camp there for a day or two. Shortly after that, he was found face down floating in that reservoir where he had drown.

Six, yeah six years later I hear about this. Had not heard a word about it before the other day. I will inquire but for Gods sake, what the hell?

Monmouth Park, after hearing about this has made a rule that no person will be expelled from the grounds in that fashion again. They will be provided help to whatever level is necessary to help that person out.
    That is a good thing but at a horrible price.

I feel terrible even days after hearing about Johnny. Nobody deserves that. Especially such a kind person that was dealt such a terrible hand. Rest In Peace my friend. I surely hope he does and is.

For EZ Rider, this is another story, albeit tragic, about the typical backstretch employee that has been at the track their entire life. As romantic a type setting as the racetrack can be at times with feel good stories, it has some real tough stories within it of backstretch employees such as this one, as well as Wally who I wrote about, and countless others.

So here we are, a couple of weeks before the holidays and what better time to pay some respect, make amends, or just be friendly to someone. Easy to say, right? But we should. I know I should. And I am going to do it not only for myself but for Johnny.

I will make an effort to do so and try and keep that around in my head all year. There are so many stories around about people that have had a real rough life, albeit self inflicted or like in John's case, just a terrible experience that eventually led to more and more tragedy. Whatever the case, sometimes just the littlest thing can make a difference to someone. I sure do wish I had known about Johnny. As do many of my friends I'm sure.

Maybe we just keep that in our minds for next time. I know I will.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Happy holidays to all of you.
    Last edited by str; 12-09-23 at 09:26 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: hawkwind

Easy-Rider 66

OK STR thx for the story. Sad story for sure.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

I wanted to take the time to wish everyone that reads this thread a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a prosperous New Year.

Thank you for reading. It continues to be my pleasure to write, and while doing so, remember just how special my time at the racetrack was. The people I met helped shape my life as well as my thought process. It was truly an experience I feel lucky to have been able to have lived in and just as lucky to try and share with you. Hopefully, I have helped some of you see things from a prospective that allows you to better understand such a complex game.

The people I met along the way, while too numerous to name, helped contribute to how I think, how I do, what I see and what I wish for. Some very famous but many you would never know, all seemed to teach me something both good and not so good. As a result of that, I feel I am a better person for it.

And for that, I am forever grateful.

All the best to you, the readers, and your families during this holiday season.

str

Easy-Rider 66

OK STR same to you Have a great Holiday season and a prosperous 2024. And thx for the info you have provided thru the years on what is a complex game for sure. I have been involved with the game seriously for about 10 years handicapping and your insight has helped me to understand and enjoy the game much more. THX again.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13815

I wanted to take the time to wish everyone that reads this thread a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a prosperous New Year.

Thank you for reading. It continues to be my pleasure to write, and while doing so, remember just how special my time at the racetrack was. The people I met helped shape my life as well as my thought process. It was truly an experience I feel lucky to have been able to have lived in and just as lucky to try and share with you. Hopefully, I have helped some of you see things from a prospective that allows you to better understand such a complex game.

The people I met along the way, while too numerous to name, helped contribute to how I think, how I do, what I see and what I wish for. Some very famous but many you would never know, all seemed to teach me something both good and not so good. As a result of that, I feel I am a better person for it.

str
    Thank you sir , for all you've helped me, and happy holidays to you and yours!!

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11731

str
    And a Merry Christmas to you, sir.

This thread is a remarkable repository of insight and wisdom. A long runnng treat and a privilege to read.

Jellymancan
    Jellymancan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12228

str
    Str, your thread is the best one on this forum as I've been reading it for many years and is one of the reasons I joined this site. I don't really go on the other forums that much, but I'd put this one up against many of the other sport ones. I have learned a great deal of knowledge and insight on many aspects of this game by your posts. Your attention to detail in all facets of the game is impeccable. Happy holidays to you and your family. Be safe and stay well.
    Points Awarded:

ByeShea gave Jellymancan 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

solring
    solring's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3452

This is the only thread that I check reguarly on the site. I may not place any horse racing bets, but I appreciate the anecdotes and thoughts on the sport.

Thanks, str.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13815

Need Help

First off Happy Holidays to you and yours!!

12/23 R2 Fair Grounds. I was all over the 7 El Magnifico (Ton of experience and class). I spent an hour watching replays of the other entries. I had the race 7/12568. And the 8 who was a bit of a wild card adding distance.

Short story someone bet 4K to win on the 2 off the get go and kept betting until 2-1. I had this knocked if it finished 7/85/58. The 5 was 55-1. What did I miss that Chad Brown ran a mediocre 1st start and then this guy punished to 2-1.??

They knew this guy was winning but he had no business competing with the more seasoned 7.

I think this is why Horse racing will eventually die. I lived my life betting Greyhounds and never if ever saw this. This horse improved 15 lenghts between starts and the insiders knew it.

Any help appreciated.

First ... 197198199200201202203 ... Last