Seaward843
    Seaward843's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 463

Thanks for your thoughts STR, I've been a long time follower of this thread and appreciate your knowledge and insight.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3608

Thx for detailed write up STR. GL with your plays. Going to add Hofburg and Lone Sailor to an exacta box with Audible and Bolt D'Oro partly based on your analysis.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9656

great write up str.. good luck

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68749

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Would like to see a few races before picking for sure. But not sure when I can get back here so here are my thoughts if anybody cares.

Assuming I would be playing a triple:

1. Firenze Fire- Just seems overmatched .

2. Free Drop Willy- Plodder but probably gets a rail trip for a good portion which should be a good thing and he is a winner over the track, ran well in mud if that happens and Romans is the home team. Will have him 3rd in my triples. Currently 42-1

3. Promise Fulfilled- Should make the lead early and with speed doing so well yesterday will probably stick around longer than that last mess he ran when he and another horse went waaaay too fast and burned each other up. It seems like Justify ( as long as he breaks and gets away from the field the first 1/8th) should be laying 2nd to his outside and I would think Justify would be more than happy to allow this horse to carry the field past the 3/8ths pole if he can. That would not surprise me, but once Justify or another horse if Justify gets tangled up early moves to him, I would think, bias or not, that he will have little left for the drive. I am going to leave him off my ticket. Don't bite me in the rear end bias . 41-1

4. Flameaway- This horse always seems to put in a run and I see no reason why he would not today as well. 53-1 has him in the 3rd slot on my ticket every time.

5. Audible - Third start off the layoff which is usually a solid angle and especially if the first two were with this race in mind. I don't see any holes in him on paper. He should be fairly close to the rail, not way back unless he gets tangled up early and from that spot he would have to regress to not be in the hunt. Maybe he will but I can't see that on paper. He will be on all three spots of my ticket. He is currently 6-1.

6. Good Magic- He is by no means a weak horse in here but it seems to me that he will end up laying in the back 7,8,9 or 10 horses early. And while I would not be shocked at all if he would run well and ruin my ticket, I have to take a stand against some of the low prices and laying back like I think he will do early, allows me to toss him, especially off yesterday's speed favoring results and without the benefit of seeing today's earlier races prior to posting this ticket. 8-1

7. Justify- If he does not break clean he can get tangled up early and a lack of experience can bite him in the butt. But he will load 13th out of 20 so he won't be in there THAT long. I worry about him getting off slowly in races so far but three slower horses outside of him gives him two or three extra steps to get going. That said, if he breaks and gets that solo outside 2nd position into the 1st turn with the 3 leading the way, it is his his race to lose from that point on. The first 20 seconds of the race is critical for him IMO. But I do think he is the most talented horse in here so as much as I want to toss him and light up the board, the speed favoring ( I assume it stays the same as yesterday) track and the lack of early speed to get into his right eye early in all probability has me using in in all three slots on my ticket. But as you will see, if he runs out, I have plenty of other chances. 7-2.

8. Lone Sailor- He should be running late and while I am not sure he wants this distance, I like the inside post to help be on the better part of the track early and I never met a longshot closer with a race ( two actually) over the track and whose only win was in the slop and rain being at least a solid maybe over this sometimes tricky surface that I didn't like. 28-1.

9. Hofburg- Another third off the layoff and has improved with every race. Running in the Derby is not Mott's style so that tells you how special this horse has acted up to now. I would not be stunned at all if he won, but I would be upset because I have this guy in the 2nd and 3rd slots on my ticket. Him winning would not shock me a bit but would sting pretty good. 24-1. If I change any part of this ticket it would be to add him in all three spots because of that juicy price on what I perceive to be a live horse.

10. My Boy Jack- If I had any thoughts of using him in the 3rd spot, that all went out the window when I see he is currently 5-1. That blows my mind. No way at anything near that price. If he runs 1,2,3, I lose and that's ok with me at that number.

11. Bolt D'oro- I like him, and will have him in all three spots on my ticket. Another 3rd off the layoff and improving with each start. I see some trainer % numbers that are not the greatest but I'm a believer. 8-1

12. Enticed - I hate throwing out a horse that has won over this track AND won on an off track but I am going to. Hope I don't regret it. 52-1

13.Bravazo- I don't see it. 68-1

14. Mendelssohn- He ran right out of the TV in Dubai but there was such a stupid speed bias that it really muddies the water. He is probably a really nice horse, but the trip over, the bias stuff and knowing I can't use them all has me hoping against him and his short odds. 5-1

15. Instilled Regard- I don't see it. Wish I could at 99-1.

16. Magnum Moon- I might be missing the boat on this horse but he just seems a cut below at least several of these IMO. 13-1

17. Solomini- If I don't see the 16 how can I like this one? I will pass on him. 68-1

18. Vino Rosso- Flameaway beat him twice and I am using Flameaway 3rd on my ticket. That has me not use this guy. 18-1

19. Noble Indy- He is another one that I think looks to be just a cut below several others IMO. I will pass. 49-1

20. Combatant- He just can't seem to make up any ground through the lane so far and I don't think that type of effort will get it done in here. I will pass on him as well. 78-1

So my ticket will be a 1.00 triple that looks like 5,7,11- 5,7,9,11- 2,4,5,7,8,9,11. That works out to be three times four times seven times 1.00 = 84.00. If we add the 9 to the top spot as well it will be 112.00.
    Probably split that with one of my best friends from way back in the Bob Gibson era . I will save that gambling story for another day. Might even have already told it in this long and winding road of a thread.

Good luck everybody and please bet within your means. Don't get hurt and enjoy the greatest two minutes in sports!
    Just found out the track is sloppy. We altered our ticket a bit. We added 6 Good Magic and I did move the 9 in to all three places. Final 1.00 triple ticket split is :

5,6,7,9,11- 5,6,7,9,11- 2,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

120.00 ticket split 3 ways.

Good luck everyone.
    Last edited by str; 05-05-18 at 05:47 PM.

Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1381

Thank you for everything Mr STR...
    GL with your investment..

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Buckandadime View Post
    Thank you for everything Mr STR...
    GL with your investment..
    Thank you.

It was 120.00 not 200.00. My mistake.

Feel like we are up 80 already ! Lol.

Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1381

Thank you.

It was 120.00 not 200.00. My mistake.

Feel like we are up 80 already ! Lol.
    Much respect Sir..

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    STR could you take a look at the replay of SA r7 on 4-5-18 see if hte #3 looks like a possible winner next outl.
    ran 4th horse that came out of same race wins

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9844

hey str , how is it going.....hope all is well ...what did you think of justify...give me your odds of him winning the triple crown, i hear some EXPERTS say,,...the lightly race horse will catch up to him ...to many races this year...and they count the next two...what is your take....think it can have a toll on him...compared to the others....
    also ..saw your post on horses names i gave you a quote on it....here is what it said...
    like mr. October and roll dem bones
    aunt nancy had a horse i think she bred...maybe out of double bunctious and she wanted to name after her uncle.....lee stricks so she named it lees tricks which was a cool name of word...the horse never ran.....maybe you heard of it str........if you were around then .

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    hey str , how is it going.....hope all is well ...what did you think of justify...give me your odds of him winning the triple crown, i hear some EXPERTS say,,...the lightly race horse will catch up to him ...to many races this year...and they count the next two...what is your take....think it can have a toll on him...compared to the others....
    also ..saw your post on horses names i gave you a quote on it....here is what it said...
    like mr. October and roll dem bones
    aunt nancy had a horse i think she bred...maybe out of double bunctious and she wanted to name after her uncle.....lee stricks so she named it lees tricks which was a cool name of word...the horse never ran.....maybe you heard of it str........if you were around then .
    Everything is fine here Harthebar. Hope you are as well.

Q. what did you think of justify...give me your odds of him winning the triple crown, i hear some EXPERTS say,,...the lightly race horse will catch up to him ...to many races this year...and they count the next two...what is your take....think it can have a toll on him...compared to the others....

A. He is a very talented horse, no doubt. Hard to say if he can handle two more races in the coming weeks. I don't know the horse at all so any opinion would be a guess.

The names were some winners that I recalled. There were plenty more but those were who I could think of when I was typing.
    I never knew that horse your aunt Nancy named. Not sure if I had left by then or not.

Always good to talk with you Harthebar. Take care.

harthebar

Everything is fine here Harthebar. Hope you are as well.

Q. what did you think of justify...give me your odds of him winning the triple crown, i hear some EXPERTS say,,...the lightly race horse will catch up to him ...to many races this year...and they count the next two...what is your take....think it can have a toll on him...compared to the others....

A. He is a very talented horse, no doubt. Hard to say if he can handle two more races in the coming weeks. I don't know the horse at all so any opinion would be a guess.

The names were some winners that I recalled. There were plenty more but those were who I could think of when I was typing.
    I never knew that horse your aunt Nancy named. Not sure if I had left by then or not.

Always good to talk with you Harthebar. Take care.
    aunt nancy horse never made it as a race horse. that i know.............i believe lol ...it was so long ago............thought you might of known....... something happenend at an early age.... and if my memory serves me well. ????? i think she might of bred double bountious with Cryptoclearance

? wonder if there is a way if i can look that up.....i know Cryptoclearance died at age 25 in 2010 or about

that is a question for you now......how many horses that are bred never even make it to the track.......not once....what would you think the % would be......

Last edited by harthebar; 05-11-18 at 10:23 AM.

harthebar

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/double+bunctious

found that....still cant find who cryto breeded with..im on a mission...

harthebar

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/double+bunctious

found that....still cant find who cryto breeded with..im on a mission...
    you know what they keep better track going so far back..then us people do.........

harthebar

str is there a way i can find who double bunctious bred with and if she has any foals that ran..im pretty sure she retired after a stakes win in 1989 ive been trying to look....

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

str is there a way i can find who double bunctious bred with and if she has any foals that ran..im pretty sure she retired after a stakes win in 1989 ive been trying to look....
    Below is the link to the website so you can find any mares progeny history.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/thoroughbred-records

You were there but you need to click just under where you typed in her name on "REPORTS".
    Then click progeny for her foals . There are plenty other things to see as well.

Here is Double Bunctious's progeny record:

Last edited by str; 05-11-18 at 01:20 PM.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

that's a very useful tool for me.. thanks str

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

hey str

if somebody asked you who were (or was) the best sprinter(s) going back to 1980 who would you come up with ? if it's more than one go top 3..my memory is not the best but 2 horses always come to mind from the 20th century ..just curious if you'd come up with the same ones
    and I won't put mine up for now

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    hey str

if somebody asked you who were (or was) the best sprinter(s) going back to 1980 who would you come up with ? if it's more than one go top 3..my memory is not the best but 2 horses always come to mind from the 20th century ..just curious if you'd come up with the same ones
    and I won't put mine up for now
    First a shout out to Star De Naskra who was the best sprinter in 1979. He was stabled at Bowie one barn over from mine and trained by Richard Farris. That was incredible.

So from today back to 1980? Or just around the 80's? Don't want to ramble on about something you are not asking.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

First a shout out to Star De Naskra who was the best sprinter in 1979. He was stabled at Bowie one barn over from mine and trained by Richard Farris. That was incredible.

So from today back to 1980? Or just around the 80's? Don't want to ramble on about something you are not asking.
    I really meant 1980 to the present..i'm trying to get at more who comes to mind rather than a race to race record..I don't remember any of his races so much individually but just that he was a freak and almost nobody was going to beat him..big name horse and sure you'll know who he is when you here his name..went on to be a decent sire..just my opinion of course ..when I think great sprinter
    he comes to mind first..ok 80's that's all I'm saying lol

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

I really meant 1980 to the present..i'm trying to get at more who comes to mind rather than a race to race record..I don't remember any of his races so much individually but just that he was a freak and almost nobody was going to beat him..big name horse and sure you'll know who he is when you here his name..went on to be a decent sire..just my opinion of course ..when I think great sprinter
    he comes to mind first..ok 80's that's all I'm saying lol
    I will guess Groovy is the horse you are thinking of.

mrginandtonic
    mrginandtonic's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3168

Hope it’s ok for me to name a couple.....

ones the came to mine is Phone Trick and Lit de Justice. I’m sure there are others....

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by mrginandtonic View Post
    Hope it’s ok for me to name a couple.....

ones the came to mine is Phone Trick and Lit de Justice. I’m sure there are others....
    Heck yes Mr. G and T

Both of yours were so fast. Phone Trick was a monster wasn't he? Same with the other horse but he was west coast I'm pretty sure so I saw the crazy fractions he ran but always thought some of that was the surface back then. He was very very good though and pretty sure he won an eclipse for best sprinter one year.

There are so many really fast sprinters. I guessed my horse because it was in the 80's and I remember how everybody was going nuts over his figures. I think JBEX might be thinking that way.

For me, and because I was east coast, and Md., sprinters that first come to mind are Safely Kept who beat the boys in the late 80's. She was by a 2,500 dollar Md. sire. That was nuts. And Cherokee Run was trained by Frank Alexander who was not a big name but was a Md. guy and was soooo very kind to me when I first started training in 1976. For some reason he really liked me and he was one barn over at Pimlico when I started my career in June. I shared a barn with Henry Clark!
    Guilty conscience was Sonny Hine in the early 80's. Sonny was very friendly in my first few months at Pimlico when I was just a puppy in the business in 76. I never forgot that as I was barely 21 and playing a game with 40,50,and 60 year olds. How lucky was I !!!
    It will be interesting to see who JBEX is referring to. I might have picked the wrong one but I went with the highest figures and I think JBEX would appreciate a crazy high figure horse.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Heck yes Mr. G and T

Both of yours were so fast. Phone Trick was a monster wasn't he? Same with the other horse but he was west coast I'm pretty sure so I saw the crazy fractions he ran but always thought some of that was the surface back then. He was very very good though and pretty sure he won an eclipse for best sprinter one year.

There are so many really fast sprinters. I guessed my horse because it was in the 80's and I remember how everybody was going nuts over his figures. I think JBEX might be thinking that way.

For me, and because I was east coast, and Md., sprinters that first come to mind are Safely Kept who beat the boys in the late 80's. She was by a 2,500 dollar Md. sire. That was nuts. And Cherokee Run was trained by Frank Alexander who was not a big name but was a Md. guy and was soooo very kind to me when I first started training in 1976. For some reason he really liked me and he was one barn over at Pimlico when I started my career in June. I shared a barn with Henry Clark!
    Guilty conscience was Sonny Hine in the early 80's. Sonny was very friendly in my first few months at Pimlico when I was just a puppy in the business in 76. I never forgot that as I was barely 21 and playing a game with 40,50,and 60 year olds. How lucky was I !!!
    It will be interesting to see who JBEX is referring to. I might have picked the wrong one but I went with the highest figures and I think JBEX would appreciate a crazy high figure horse.
    you guys nailed them all ..phone trick would be my #1 and groovy #2 ..not necessarily that the former was better
    but comes to mind first...groovy actually beat him to end his career..think these guys were mid 80's..safely kept of course was a monster also..lit de justice and star de naskra also familiar names to me

harthebar

Below is the link to the website so you can find any mares progeny history.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/thoroughbred-records

You were there but you need to click just under where you typed in her name on "REPORTS".
    Then click progeny for her foals . There are plenty other things to see as well.

Here is Double Bunctious's progeny record:

thank you str so just so i get this spring double was doubles bonctuos mother so double b bred with cryto and leahra who did nothing

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

thank you str so just so i get this spring double was doubles bonctuos mother so double b bred with cryto and leahra who did nothing
    That is correct.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

yes har

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

yes har

apologize str ..didn't see you had answered harthebar's question..have one of my own

in the7th race at finger lakes rudy had a horse..he ran decent in a state bred mcl 25k @ aqueduct in his debut on 4/19 and shipped up to finger lakes to run in a sb msw..to me about a parallel move..the interesting thing though is on the way up the thruway lol they stopped and worked at saratoga on 5/9..4f 50.4b.. do you think he stables some of his horses up there and thought a work at saratoga might benefit him vs a downstate work? horse didn't run a lick today
    Last edited by JBEX; 05-14-18 at 04:06 PM.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

apologize str ..didn't see you had answered harthebar's question..have one of my own

in the7th race at finger lakes rudy had a horse..he ran decent in a state bred mcl 25k @ aqueduct in his debut on 4/19 and shipped up to finger lakes to run in a sb msw..to me about a parallel move..the interesting thing though is on the way up the thruway lol they stopped and worked at saratoga on 5/9..4f 50.4b.. do you think he stables some of his horses up there and thought a work at saratoga might benefit him vs a downstate work? horse didn't run a lick today
    The Oklahoma training track is open for training and several large outfits have their 2nd string or babies in training stabled there. It sounds like this horse was stabled there and simply worked before the race . I do like the van pulls in , horse works, horse gets back on van and goes up to Finger Lakes though. Kind of like a work "to go" training method. Maybe he thinks she wants to go long. Lol.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

ok thanks str.. thought you'd like to know that edgar prado got win #7000 today at parx.. close to $267M
    in career earnings.. 57 away from cordero and 141 to mccarron.. the next one david gall?? without looking I never heard of.. his earnings are extremely low for the wins so guessing he's an old timer..heck I've gone this far ..pat day 8803..shoemaker 8833..pincay 9530.. baze 12842...

congratulations to mr prado

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

ok thanks str.. thought you'd like to know that edgar prado got win #7000 today at parx.. close to $267M
    in career earnings.. 57 away from cordero and 141 to mccarron.. the next one david gall?? without looking I never heard of.. his earnings are extremely low for the wins so guessing he's an old timer..heck I've gone this far ..pat day 8803..shoemaker 8833..pincay 9530.. baze 12842...

congratulations to mr prado
    Edgar is such a class act. So humble. He would make anybody that meets him feel special. Very happy for him.

David Gall was the king of Cahokia Downs back in the day. I remember reading about him in the form.This guy would win damn near every race he rode some nights. They had a lot of 2k and 3k pots if memory serves. Nice to see CJ's name still up there.
    Thanks JBEX.

harthebar

harthebar

David A. Gall
    Occupation Jockey
    Born December 17, 1941
    Rose Valley, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Career wins 7,396
    Racing awards
    United States Champion Jockey by wins(1979, 1981)
    Avelino Gomez Memorial Award (1996)
    Honours
    Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame (1993)
    Significant horses
    Leading rider at Fairmount Park (14 times)
    David Allen Gall (born December 17, 1941 in Rose Valley, Saskatchewan) is a retired Thoroughbred horse racing Hall of Fame jockey who, as of June 2009, ranks fifth in lifetime wins by North American jockeys, and who was the first jockey in the United States to ride eight winners on a single racecard.
    Contents

[hide]

Riding career[edit]

Gall began his career riding at tracks in Regina, Saskatchewan, Edmonton and Calgary in Alberta, and Winnipeg, Manitoba before going to the Hastings Racecourse in Vancouver, British Columbia. He would follow the path of other Canadian jockeys like George Woolf and Johnny Longden and head south to tracks in California. Eventually he made his way to Illinois where, dubbed "The General" by fans and the media, he would dominate racing at Fairmount Park Racetrack and Cahokia Down

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

hey str

hopefully you'll check back in..you think the rail will be the place to be at pimlico today ? shame about the bad weather as they have a very nice card today

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

hey str

hopefully you'll check back in..you think the rail will be the place to be at pimlico today ? shame about the bad weather as they have a very nice card today
    Typically , yes. But we have been very wet since Monday evening. The only shot they had to grade was Monday. And because that would be 5 days before the Preakness, they would probably push a little more dirt up towards the crown than usual. If I had to guess blindly I would say yes. They surely do not want a dead rail on saturday and no grading for a week would typically create that without overcompensating on Monday.
    Calling for 5 more inches on top of the probably 4 inches we already have between now and Saturday night. Tomorrow will be heavy rain most of the late morning and afternoon. Yikes!

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO

Typically , yes. But we have been very wet since Monday evening. The only shot they had to grade was Monday. And because that would be 5 days before the Preakness, they would probably push a little more dirt up towards the crown than usual. If I had to guess blindly I would say yes. They surely do not want a dead rail on saturday and no grading for a week would typically create that without overcompensating on Monday.
    Calling for 5 more inches on top of the probably 4 inches we already have between now and Saturday night. Tomorrow will be heavy rain most of the late morning and afternoon. Yikes!

thanks str ..5 of the 9 races are off the turf today so card really ruined by the weather

First ... 75767778798081 ... Last