beaneaters
    beaneaters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2031

Database question

Hey All,

I enjoy going over old results from various games in various sports, and trying to find certain trends and such. I know trends are overrated, but the thrill is in the hunt.
    My question is about the various sites that offer the ability to sort through those results, with their databases.
    I saw one once (I believe atsdatabase.com) that intrigued me. They ask for a yearly membership fee, which I'm not against. But I'm wondering if anyone knows of them? Are they respectable? And, are there other sites worth exploring before I commit to them?
    I'd appreciate any feedback.
    Bean

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Bean, I guess I couldn't find anything on the site that described their services and prices.

but if you're going to trend, get two sources and cross check as every db I've found has errors...all of them.

beaneaters
    beaneaters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2031

thanks wreck

bookie
    bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1048

Don't know of this site, and it looks awfully hypey. If you agree that the thrill is in the hunt, then why not decide on some trends you want to follow, and set up a spreadsheet to follow them? That makes it that much more fun, and you'll have more insight into the trend as you'll note non-gross factors like injuries and scheduling situations and ATS margins that color a mere W/L trend.

Also, if you're not on top of Excel you can get some really talented IT people to set something up for you cheap on Elance.

statsguy41
    statsguy41's Avatar Become A Pro!

The best thing to do is get a screen scraping program and scrape a site that has correct info like nfl.com. This way you can build your own database.

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by statsguy41 View Post
    The best thing to do is get a screen scraping program and scrape a site that has correct info like nfl.com. This way you can build your own database.
    Unfortunately, every data set I've seen has errors, even Gamebooks. A few years ago, a 100 yd rushing errors put me on a game that I shouldn't have been.

BTW, Covers.com is rife with them.

statsguy41
    statsguy41's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Unfortunately, every data set I've seen has errors, even Gamebooks. A few years ago, a 100 yd rushing errors put me on a game that I shouldn't have been.

BTW, Covers.com is rife with them.
    I agree there will be errors. I guess you would have to rescan the data looking for errors and find the site with the fewest errors. Was the Gamebook ever corrected? Would scaping hosted.stats.com be better in your opinion?

jimbojpc
    jimbojpc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 768

Really tuough to go with out errors?

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by statsguy41 View Post
    I agree there will be errors. I guess you would have to rescan the data looking for errors and find the site with the fewest errors. Was the Gamebook ever corrected? Would scaping hosted.stats.com be better in your opinion?
    Gamebook was never corrected. What I try to do is compare my historical data with someone else who has scraped another site and together we usually can find and correct the errors. Now in season I collect from two different sources and difference them. Usually the error is obvious, but sometimes I have to go to a 3rd source.

Wrecktangle

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojpc View Post
    Really tuough to go with out errors?
    Not exactly sure what you're asking here, but typically most errors don't affect my models (~99% of the time), but I have had a few doozies from errors.