-mysql for database management
    -r for making sense out of my data from my databases
    -php for building the working model(s)

Corrections? Additions? Suggestions?

Thank you!

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow over a year later and you still cant figure it out.

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    Wow over a year later and you still cant figure it out.
    How's your mother?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Quote Originally Posted by illfuuptn View Post
    How's your mother?
    She's dead remember?

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

::sigh:: he is right. it has been over a year.

I will help you. What programming languages do you already know? What operating system will you be using?

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    ::sigh:: he is right. it has been over a year.

I will help you. What programming languages do you already know? What operating system will you be using?
    No language. I know a little java(and I mean a LITTLE). I use os10 and windows.

Maverick22

Well first go here: http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Download the appropriate wamp server for your computer.

WAMP, being apache web server, mysql database, and phpmyadmin for windows computers.

As far as the 'model building' language. whichever language you choose. you should get on youtube and start seraching tutorials.

Since you can't program, you have a LARGE uphill battle.

After the server is installed. you will need to define a database. So figure up for which sport. and figure up if you want to publically get help to build your database schema layout (saying 'database model' gets people panties in a bunch. So i won't say it)

samserif
    samserif's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

Are you using Excel and/or Access right now and have found you've outgrown them? Seriously, I'd approach it incrementally. Start with the simplest tools and move up a notch only when you find they're not sufficient. You can do a hell of a lot in Excel and do it quickly, too. When you get to the point where your Excel formulas are so long you need to break them into multiple parts and you begin to lose track of what you're doing, then learn SQL and relational databases or even jump into Access -- but not before then.
    Points Awarded:

runnershane14 gave samserif 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

illfuuptn

I downloaded it and opened it. Then I right clicked the icon in the bottom right of windows. I selected phpmyadmin and it took me to a page that said the mysqli extension is missing...check your configuration.

I'm guessing this has to do with the "config.inc.php" file located in the phpmyadmin folder. Continuing with that assumption, I'm guessing I need to add or edit something in that file via a php textedit software. What do I need to edit/add? Thank you very much. You've been quite helpful thus far.

illfuuptn

BTW I want to do this for baseball and I don't want other people to have access to my database fwiw right now

illfuuptn

I know most HTT'ers hate the kind of questions I'm asking itt but these are the kinds of things that are nearly impossible to learn on your own. I don't want people to tell me what they put into their models or how to program in java. I just need to be able to start. These structural things may not be the hardest part of modeling, but for a beginner they are the biggest barrier to entry:

-how do I set up a secure online database(is that what I'm doing with phpmyadmin?)?
    -what exactly is apache?
    -what is localhost? How is it different from phpmyadmin?

Once I understand all of the structural things, then it's just hard work and it's up to me whether I succeed or fail. But at the moment I can't even begin because I don't understand any of these things and can't find a good explanation of them anywhere.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

apache = web server
    localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the ip address of your computer. Separate for the ip that is rout-able on the public internet.
    mysql does seem like overkill for right now

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    apache = web server
    localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the ip address of your computer. Separate for the ip that is rout-able on the public internet.
    mysql does seem like overkill for right now
    Thanks sideloaded. These answers are surprisingly difficult to find via google searches. Fwiw I have tried using excel before with only about one-one thousandth of the data that I plan on using and it was a total bitch. That's why I want to use MySQL.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

not sure what you have in your database but I found injecting the database was the easiest using curl and python to scrape. I run most of my stuff on linux but I think you can find curl for windows too.

scraping with php seems like a nightmare but I haven't looked at php in a long time.

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by illfuuptn View Post
    I downloaded it and opened it. Then I right clicked the icon in the bottom right of windows. I selected phpmyadmin and it took me to a page that said the mysqli extension is missing...check your configuration.

I'm guessing this has to do with the "config.inc.php" file located in the phpmyadmin folder. Continuing with that assumption, I'm guessing I need to add or edit something in that file via a php textedit software. What do I need to edit/add? Thank you very much. You've been quite helpful thus far.
    What file will this be in? I thought I would be able to uncomment it from config.inc.php but it's definitely not in there. Anyone know what file extension=php_mysqli.dll is in? That is what I'm supposed to uncomment according to a few help forums. But I'm also apparently supposed to find that line in the file php.ini and it was not in there.

Maverick22

A full fledged database is likely more than he needs. Yet I will help him none the less.

Next... you need to download 'Mysql Work Bench". You will use this to graphically and 'easily' start to define your database layout/scema/model.

Mysql is the database server. Phpmyadmin is a... website/page used to manipulate the mysql database. without doing so through a console.

Also... I know you have OS10... but you should really look into a linux installation. Windows blows

Anyways. download the tool i mentioned above.

Then you should start deciding what you want your database to contain, and how you want it structured.

I would show you mine, but i'll make this a 'group project'. Do you have any experience with data modelling? As in database modelling... not statistical modelling

Maverick22

So for example you said baseball. Let's assume your finest grain is at the team levely. as opposed to player.

The first table might be 'GAME'. This table will have an auto incrementing primary key, which we will call 'GAME_ID'.

Then let's say you wanted to capture the following information for a game ( just for starters) :

Game Date
    Home Team Name
    Away Team Name
    Home Team Score/Runs
    Away Team Score/Runs

THen your sql will/should look like this:

CREATE DATABASE `MLB` ;

CREATE TABLE `MLB`.`GAME` (
    `GAME_ID` INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY ,
    `DATE` DATE NOT NULL ,
    `AWAY_TEAM_NAME` VARCHAR( 40 ) NOT NULL ,
    `AWAY_TEAM_RUNS_COUNT` INT NOT NULL ,
    `HOME_TEAM_NAME` VARCHAR( 40 ) NOT NULL ,
    `HOME_TEAM_RUNS_COUNT` INT NOT NULL
    ) ENGINE = MYISAM ;

That should hopefully get some juices going
    Last edited by Maverick22; 12-21-11 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Typed 'table' means to type 'team'. Whoops

illfuuptn

A full fledged database is likely more than he needs. Yet I will help him none the less.

Next... you need to download 'Mysql Work Bench". You will use this to graphically and 'easily' start to define your database layout/scema/model.

Mysql is the database server. Phpmyadmin is a... website/page used to manipulate the mysql database. without doing so through a console.

Also... I know you have OS10... but you should really look into a linux installation. Windows blows

Anyways. download the tool i mentioned above.

Then you should start deciding what you want your database to contain, and how you want it structured.

I would show you mine, but i'll make this a 'group project'. Do you have any experience with data modelling? As in database modelling... not statistical modelling
    No. None. And, sorry to nag, do you know the solution to my above question about the "mysqli extension"?

Maverick22

As far as the configuration, you are on your own there. I would have to install windows JUST to ATTEMPT to duplicate the issue. So no help to you there. You aren't the first with this issue, so google around for any configuration problems
    I know that wamp should have some status icon on your task bar when all three services ( mysql, apache, phpmyadmin) are working correctly.

illfuuptn

As far as the configuration, you are on your own there. I would have to install windows JUST to ATTEMPT to duplicate the issue. So no help to you there. You aren't the first with this issue, so google around for any configuration problems
    I know that wamp should have some status icon on your task bar when all three services ( mysql, apache, phpmyadmin) are working correctly.
    It IS definitely on the taskbar but when I selct phpmyadmin from the wamp icon on the taskbar that's when the problem occurs. While on the subject, what's the difference between phpmyadmin and MySQL workbench? Is it just that pma is used in a web browser?

illfuuptn

Also, I tried what you did above in mysqlworkbench and I(guess I sort of) did it. I'm assuming what you had was written out in sql code, correct? And I didn't need to use that code in workbench(since I could just click "new table" and NN for not null etc. However, I didn't know what to do for "COUNT." That wasn't listed in any dropdown menus. What does count represent? Is it like "double," for instance, in java? Or were you just using "count" as part of the literal name of the column itself?

Maverick22

Count was part of the name of the column. Just a column/field to represent the total number of runs scored for a team for a game.

Please find attached the sql for a 'TEAM' table. The Contents should be self explanatory. Merry Christmas.
    Attached Files

illfuuptn

Count was part of the name of the column. Just a column/field to represent the total number of runs scored for a team for a game.

Please find attached the sql for a 'TEAM' table. The Contents should be self explanatory. Merry Christmas.
    lol I don't mean to be rude but that is like the most confusing thing I've ever seen. That is sql code? How do I get that into a readable format?

illfuuptn

Maverick22 you have become the single most helpful sbr poster to me since I've been here(ainec). I really appreciate the help.

Maverick22

Everything enclosed in the a apostrophe is the name of the column in the table.

"HOME_TEAM_NAME" OR "HOME_TEAM_RUNS_SCORED". <~~ That may have been a more appropriate name.

Let me know what is confusing, i can try to restate something

illfuuptn

I sort of understand it and all but my question is "what is the next step?" I'm assuming you would write a code similar to that and then use the information to build a model. So the next step would be to retrieve the data you want from that sql database and use it? BTW, did you write out that whole thing? How do you get data to go into your sql databases nicely? IOW, how would you get a list of team names from online to go into the "team name" column of your sql database?

illfuuptn

Alright I finally got phpmyadmin to work but I am not currently able to load the mysql file I made earlier in workbench(some sort of structural error but that's not important right now). I think I'll call it a night. Until tomorrow...

Standard newb structural question to finish the night:
    Am I secure(as in nobody can see my databases) when I'm in phpmyadmin? It seems weird because it doesn't require a password and it's stored on the internet, right?

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

It's stored locally, and if your config's auth_type is set to "config" then it is not password protected. If your computer is directly connected to the internet (i.e. not behind a firewall or router), then, yes, anyone can see it. Who fukkin knows but (probably not) you?

Jesus Christ. Get a book, or learn how to use Google. There are only about 17 billion sites dedicated to web servers and scripting. Not sure why you expect people here to do your legwork for you. Everyone else started at ground zero at one point or another.

And have fun with PHP. Yuck.

Maverick22

The security of your database. at this point in time, should be the least of your concerns. as long as your arent poking your nose in the configuration. your database server is only accessible from the server itself.

As far as populating this database that has yet to be defined. You need to determine the source of the data.

My recommendation is to search around for an existing database you can purchase online. It will save you an incredible amount of time.

You could either a) buy a database b) find the data online and build a scraper to get the data c) find the data online and purchase someone's scraper code or d) use excel to do some data scraping. So you need to have a sit down with yourself and figure up which of these works best...

Maverick22

and yea.... php sucks.

illfuuptn

Oh I poked my nose in the configuration and now I want to ******* smash something! I suddenly couldn't connect to phpmyadmin even when I set everything back to the way it was. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled wampserv and deleted everything php MySQL and apache related before the reinstall. Same problem. ****!

illfuuptn

And if I ever figure out this phpmyadmin shit and get it working again I'll set off on trying to get retrosheet stuff into my database. The site has software that allows you to convert their text files into files easily readable for databases apparently. So that should be a good first project for me. I can't promise I won't be asking for help along the way. Thanks again for the help so far. I'm trying my best but it gets overwhelming and ridiculous(seasoned programmers often forget what it was like when they knew absolutely nothing and get frustrated with newbs. You haven't so, again, thank you.).

Maverick22

Back in the old country, when I was a college student. I was teachers assistant for a few programming courses. So I thoroughly understand and respect your situation. Keep at it. The hardships hit early and often. But the reward for mastery is unlimited.

Maverick22

Run vmware. Get a lamp virtual appliance or ubuntu. Run db server. Thank me afterwards. There is a reason more enterprise servers are not running windows

illfuuptn

Run vmware. Get a lamp virtual appliance or ubuntu. Run db server. Thank me afterwards. There is a reason more enterprise servers are not running windows
    Thank you. I'll try those out.

123 Last