ImtheFranchise
    ImtheFranchise's Avatar Become A Pro!

How many games makes a W-L record statistically significant?

Ever since I've started picking NBA spreads and totals, I am 161-127 (55.9%) over 288 bets.
    I read the section in Wong's Sharp's Sports but dunno if i completely understood it - is this enough of a trial period to conclude that I beat the baseline 52.5% for picks?

Sinister Cat
    Sinister Cat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12
    Last edited by Sinister Cat; 01-23-09 at 08:37 AM. Reason: fix link

reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you show over 5% edge on 500+ even money games that starts to get significant. Your record in itself is not yet good enough to conclude you're a winning player to a degree of certainty I would consider important.

ImtheFranchise
    ImtheFranchise's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ok, so even if i ran at 56% over 500 bets it wouldnt be a confident enough trail?
    Sinister, link does not work.

reno cool
    the meaning of harm

500 bets at 56% is 280-220

280*2.1=588
    500*1.1=550

you would have bet 550units and returned 588. thats 106.9% return or edge of 6.9%. If you can do this I would guess something more than luck is involved.

However, using past record alone is kind of dangerous. It would help if you had good reasoning behind your strategy also.

Peep
    Peep's Avatar Become A Pro!

"Past results are no guarantee of future results" is the crux of the problem.

I would just keep betting, if you are winning money, great.

I am assuming you got these results going forward. If you are backfitting this whole system you are in deep dodo.

Sinister Cat
    Sinister Cat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by ImtheFranchise View Post
    Sinister, link does not work.
    Okay I fixed that link. Using the method in that thread, assuming everything is -110, I got around an 88% chance that you are profitable going forward.

Ganchrow
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
    Ganchrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1088

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Cat View Post
    Okay I fixed that link. Using the method in that thread, assuming everything is -110, I got around an 88% chance that you are profitable going forward.
    Spot on results, but I'd phrase the conclusion differently.

There's a roughly 1-88%=12% probability that a handicapper no better than breakeven would see results of this magnitude or better.

Anyway, here's how the numbers would breakdown:

Obtaining approximate results in Excel using the methodology outlined above:
    Z = (161/1.1 - 127) / sqrt(288*10/11) ≈ 1.1967
    p(z < Z) = NORMSDIST(1.1967) ≈ 88.43%

Obtaining exact results in Excel using the binomial distribution:
    p = BINOMDIST(161-1,288,52.381%,1) ≈ 87.25%

Of course, just as Peep says, if you're backfitting and/or looking at some nonrandom subset of your actual betting history then these results would be effectively meaningless.

hajune
    hajune's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ImtheFranchise View Post
    Ever since I've started picking NBA spreads and totals, I am 161-127 (55.9%) over 288 bets.
    I read the section in Wong's Sharp's Sports but dunno if i completely understood it - is this enough of a trial period to conclude that I beat the baseline 52.5% for picks?
    The answer is probably yes. Bookmakers sometimes adjust their spreads if a series of people key in to a type of handicapping method many are using. Thereis much to consider , but you probably are a long term winner using whatever you are doing.

jtuck
    jtuck's Avatar Become A Pro!

Had been wondering the same thing myself. Thanks guys

reno cool
    the meaning of harm

Quote Originally Posted by hajune View Post
    The answer is probably yes. Bookmakers sometimes adjust their spreads if a series of people key in to a type of handicapping method many are using. Thereis much to consider , but you probably are a long term winner using whatever you are doing.
    I disagree. If you play regularly you are very likely to have such a run as just a coin flip bettor.(Especially if you change strategies until you go on a good run.) No doubt it's a positive sign. Put 2-3 such runs together in a row before getting excited.