stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32791

Around the League

Oscar Taveras, OF, Stl - The Cardinals sent super-prospect Oscar Taveras down to the minor leagues today. This development shouldn't really surprise anyone. Taveras is knocking the rust off from a major ankle injury, and St. Louis, at least for the moment, is fairly crowded in the outfield . Taveras should find his way to the majors at the first sign of injury trouble or if the Peter Bourjos/Jon Jay experiment in centerfield does not pan out. There really isn't much about this kid not to like. He has limited his strike outs to the 10-11% range in his time at Double and Triple-A which is fantastic. He could use some work on his plate patience, but he has Vlad Guerrero knack for not walking but never really striking out. It's a pretty accurate and fantastic comparison. Taveras flashes plus power, and really the only question left is when will he get the call? The Cards don't need to rush him, which means re-draft owners need to be hesitant about pulling the trigger on draft day. Keeper and dynasty formats should be all over this kid.

Yonder Alonso, 1B, SD- The question that fantasy owners and Padres' fans have to ask themselves, will Yonder Alonso ever hit for enough power to be worth a roster spot? The Padres first baseman had done a solid job of controlling the strike zone during his first couple of seasons with the team. In 2013, Alonso managed a terrific 12.5% K Rate while accumulating a fair 8.5% BB Rate. Alonso doesn't hurt a team with his free swinging ways. He also doesn't help the team with any power from the corner. His ISO of .087 is ridiculously poor, and sadly, it isn't so far off his .120 ISO from 2012 to be seen as outside a reasonable range. Alonso's Batted Ball rates show average trends across the board with the exception of a 6% HR/FB rate. This will be Alonso's age 27 season, and I, frankly, just don't see enough in his power profile to believe that he will ever be even a reasonable power hitter. He won't hurt your average, but he won't help anywhere else so it makes sense to leave him on the wire for players that offer more than just empty average.

Eric Hosmer, 1B, KC- There are few things more fun than when a young player that you are heavily invested in finally starts to perform. Eric Hosmer was that young player for me last fantasy season. After a 2011 where he flashed unbelievable upside, Hosmer fell off a table in 2012 as his power disappeared. In 2013, he bounced back to form, and now the question is: will he finally take the next step? As with most of my recommendations, especially with younger players, I want to preach patience. Hosmer had a very nice second half, but there are still red flags on the large sample size that was his 2013 season. Hosmer's average bounced back to a fantastic .302, but his BABIP was a high .335. There is reason to believe the BABIP will regress and with it his average will fall. While I don't see it as being a fantastically large drop-off, I don't think you can count on Hosmer for .300 in 2014. The bigger issue is that Hosmer still isn't putting the ball in the air enough to be an elite fantasy power contributor. A ground ball rate of 50+% each of the last two years and a Fly Ball rate of less than 25% in 2013 does not promote a massive power outbreak. Even with solid HR/FB rates of 11-13% in each of his Major League seasons, Hosmer just isn't putting the ball in the air enough for those rates to translate into meaningful home run totals. Unless and until we see less of the ball on the ground, Hosmer will remain a solid, if unspectacular fantasy option.

Michael Pineda, SP, NYY- The Yankees have been using words like encouraged and hopeful when discussing the re-emergence of once promising starter Michael Pineda. Fantasy owners will remember Pineda from his ridiculous coming out party with the Mariners in the first half of 2011 where it appeared as if he would form a long term tandem with Felix Hernandez a top the M's rotation. We all know how the rest of the story goes: a so-so second half, a trade to the Yankees for former top prospect Jesus Montero (who may be slowly eating his way out of baseball, but I digress) and a torn labrum, which cost him all of 2012 and kept him in a rehab posture in 2013. Yesterday, Pineda struck out 5 in 2.2 innings and is starting to seem like the pitcher of old. Fantasy owners need to be on the look-out here. Pineda wasn't just good when he was healthy, he was elite. His 24.9% K Rate in 2011 was supported by all of his minor league data. His 7.9% BB Rate was actually a little high when looking at his prior years totals, but even if that's who he is, it isn't bad enough to truly cause concern. During a brief stint at Triple-A last season before the team shut him down, Pineda was at 27.1% K Rate and 6.3% BB Rate. Listen, we all know you can't predict or even understand shoulder injuries. They have cost us some of the best and brightest the game has had to offer and the risk with Pineda's health is palpable, but the upside here is massive. When he is right, he is dialing a fastball in the mid-90's and one of the most filthy sliders in the business. This is top-30 potential stuff going anywhere from Round 25 to undrafted in standard ten-twelve team mixed leagues right now. There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't be on your roster at that cost.

Martin Perez, SP, Tex- The Texas Rangers' pitching staff has been a walking M.A.S.H. unit this off-season. As the team tries to piece together the staff behind Yu Darvish, left hander Martin Perez is one of the few sure fire options for the team. Perez did an admirable job in is 20 starts in 2013, but fantasy owners shouldn't reach for Perez in 2014. The lefties biggest issue for fantasy purposes is he just hasn't been a strikeout pitcher in almost 2 years. His 15.9% K Rate is supported by his performance since being called to Triple-A in 2011. He managed a 3.62 ERA in 2013 by keeping the ball on the ground (48+% in each of the last two seasons), but with a FIP of 4.23 and a xFIP of 4.04 there is at least some regression that might be expected in 2014. I like Perez as a rotational guy and a match-up play, but I don't think you can consistently roster him unless his strikeout number start to creep back up towards the levels of his performance in the lower minors.

Josh Johnson, SP, SD- Last season was an interesting, and sadly, familiar, season for Josh Johnson. Johnson managed to flash his plus strike out potential with a 21.6% K Rate, which we had come to associate with the big right hander. Sadly, injury once again shortened Johnson's season to only 81 innings pitched, and a ridiculously high 18.5% HR/FB rate murdered his ERA. Obviously, a larger sample may have provided room for that rate to regress and his ERA to get closer in line with is FIP of 4.62 and xFIP of 3.58. More than anything, Johnson will benefit from moving from hitter friendly Toronto to pitcher friendly San Diego in 2014. Lots of those home runs will fall short in Southern California, and if Johnson can manage to stay healthy and keep his K Rate in the low 20's, I look for him to be a very valuable member of fantasy rotations. He is routinely going later than he should given his strike out potential, new home ball park and pedigree. There is risk here with his health, but for where he is going, I love his value.

Archie Bradley, SP, ARI- Few names are hotter this spring than Archie Bradley. The top pitching prospect for the D'Backs has been all over everyone's radar for sleeper potential especially given the back issues suffered by recently signed Bronson Arroyo. I love Bradley's potential as a big strike out arm. He absolutely dominated Double-A batters with a 23.5% K Rate, but I think we all need to take a step back and be calm. First, Arizona seems committed, rightly so, to the idea that Bradley needs more seasoning. The fact that he was walking 11.7% of Double-A batters supports the fact that he probably shouldn't be grinding it out against major league lineups just quite yet. His stuff is undeniable, but he has exactly 21 starts above A Ball. If the D'Backs decide to pull a Jose Fernandez with Bradley and have him break camp, he should be owned in all leagues. If not, I would suspect we won't see him before June barring major injury. It will allow Arizona to control his arbitration clock more to their liking and provide the player with some much need playing time against Triple-A hitters. Re-draft owners shouldn't be taking him until you have five solid arms in your stable. Keeper and dynasty formats should go nuts because the talent is absolutely top tier.

Howie Kendrick, 2B, LAA- If you like singles, then man you must love you some Howie Kendrick. Kendrick has consistently been a solid if unspectacular option at second base, and there is little reason to doubt he will be similar this season. Kendrick doesn't provide power, and in 2013, he didn't provide the double digit steals he had offered to owners for the previous four seasons. What he does provide is BABIP induced Batting Average. His BABIP is consistently in the .330-.340 range which keeps his average in the close to but rarely eclipsing .300. It's all he really offers though. He doesn't really score or drive in runs traditionally, he doesn't hit for power and we just discussed his lack of speed as he has aged. If you are looking for a late round middle infielder who won't kill you, but isn't going to really help you in anything but one category, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Howie Kendrick.

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11279

^ I am definitely interested in Pineda. It has been a long long time since he pitched. He has nice upside if he can stay healthy. He is a big contributor to my team his last year in Seattle.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanStallion View Post
    ^ I am definitely interested in Pineda. It has been a long long time since he pitched. He has nice upside if he can stay healthy. He is a big contributor to my team his last year in Seattle.
    He's worth a late round flyer for sure.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post
    Opening day for the Pirates is Monday, March 31st @ 1:05P when they host the Cubs.

Liriano is throwing for Pittsburgh, I don't think the Cubs have named a starter as of yet...
    It would have to be Samardzija wouldn't you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    I would say yes, as long as hes healthy.
    Yes. The Cubs have named Samardzija as their Opening Day starter...

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Diamondbacks ace Patrick Corbin left his start Saturday with stiffness in his throwing forearm. He is supposed to start next week against Clayton Kershaw and the Dodgers in Australia.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

I was there their opening season in 2001.

Our seat were between home & third.

What a beautiful view with the opening in left field, with the city in the back drop.
    To see the Reds?

Yeah, it's an absolutely awesome atmosphere. Finally, Pittsburgh has a quality product to watch play in it!
    It's even better when they have concerts and fireworks after the games. Quite a sight!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2548

Jose Igelesias lost for at least half a year for the Tigers

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Patrick Corbin is toast. Dr James Andrews time

MexicanStallion

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Patrick Corbin is toast. Dr James Andrews time
    Thats such a bummer for Arizona. Archie Bradley will contribute big time this season.

stevenash

Arizona Diamondbacks: The Bradley Watch ContinuesEven after dominating early in the spring, it was widely believed that Archie Bradley would start the year at AAA. A rough outing against Seattle on Thursday only reinforced that notion. But, with Bronson Arroyo's back improving slowly, Bradley still finds himself competing for a spot in the rotation, at least for a turn or two in April. And this could give him time to make an impression and make sending him down a tough decision. Control continues to be an issue for Bradley and it's perhaps his only real weakness (6 walks in 8+ innings after walking 69 in 152 innings in the minors last season). While the injuries and issues at the back end of the DBacks rotation are advantageous for Bradley and his owners, I'd still temper expectations. He's going to be a gem, but it is going to take time for him to develop control and command. The 1.97 ERA and 23.5% K-rate at AA look enticing and are evoking fantasy comparisons to Jose Fernandez, but when you add the 11.7% BB-rate and 3.33 FIP, you'll see that below the surface, Bradley isn't quite there yet.

Arizona Diamondbacks: Owings and Gregorius Going Down Under, But Who Will Emerge in the States?Kevin Towers proclaimed on Arizona Sports Radio recently that both Owings and Gregorius are likely to travel with the team to Australia. This is interesting news, as the battle for the starting SS gig appears to be dead even heading into the final week of preparations for the team. Owings has 11 hits in 37 AB's to go with 3 BB's and 5 K's against solid competition this spring, but hasn't yet gone yard. Gregorius, after fading down the stretch offensively last season, is 7 for 30 this spring. Owings acquitted himself well in his call up last season, and looks quite comfortable in the spring. Owings is going to have time at the beginning of the year to make an offensive impression, making this great news for his owners. If he does, he could be here to stay and be a solid, high-upside MI option in the majority of leagues. Of course, a trade is also a possibility, which could only help his cause as well. Move him up your boards.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post
    To see the Reds?

Yeah, it's an absolutely awesome atmosphere. Finally, Pittsburgh has a quality product to watch play in it!
    It's even better when they have concerts and fireworks after the games. Quite a sight!
    I'm from Eastern Pa and drove out to Cincinnati to see the Reds play a couple games.

On the way to Ohio we stopped at PNC to see the Pirates and Royals.

I can't believe it was like 13 years ago. What a great trip it was!!!

stevenash

Around the League:
    David Robertson (RP - NYY) - Replacing Mariano Rivera in the ninth inning this season will be veteran Yankee reliever David Robertson. Over the past three seasons, Robertson has averaged more than 12 strikeouts per nine innings with a 1.90 ERA. Going as the tenth closer off the board, Robertson has the opportunity and stuff to be able to provide an excellent return for players who take him in the 11th round of their leagues. Robertson relies mostly on his fastball and curveball, but both are above average pitches for him. This draft season, his value is being discounted in large part due to his inexperience as a closer. For his career, he is only 8 for 20 in save situations. Robertson has made good progress with his control in recent years and has kept his BB/9 below 3 for two straight years. If he can handle the pressure of closing in New York, he could provide the best value at the closer position this spring.

Doug Fister (SP- WAS) - Fister was scratched from his start last Friday due to what the team is calling inflammation in his pitching elbow. On Sunday, Nationals manager Matt Williams said that Fister is showing improvement and is downplaying the severity of the issue. Despite no timetable for his return, the Nationals don't appear concerned about him missing opening day. Fister's best asset is his control, evidenced by his career BB/9 of 1.81. He is predominately a ground ball pitcher and should continue to post respectable ratios for fantasy owners. Moving from the AL to the NL should help Fister build on his already quality numbers and could help him improve his strikeout rate as well.

Kris Medlen (SP- ATL) - Medlen left the game early on Sunday with what is being described as a mild forearm strain. As of Sunday night, not much information has been released and he will be re-evaluated on Monday. Medlen followed up an extraordinary 2012 campaign with a pretty good 2013. Much like Fister, he's a groundball pitcher with great control, boasting a career walk rate of 6% and a career strikeout rate of 21%. Medlen missed most of the 2011 after undergoing Tommy John surgery so another elbow injury is a little concerning. Keep an eye on this situation in the coming days to weeks. It's possible Medlen will have to start the season on the DL.

Michael Pineda (SP - NYY) - Michael Pineda made his first start of the spring for the Yankees on Friday and performed pretty well. He only pitched two innings but he struck out four batters. Catcher Brian McCann was quoted after the game saying that "his slider was pretty much unhittable". During his rookie year, Pineda's fastball velocity sat between 94-96 MPH. On Friday, he was clocked closer to 91-93 MPH. Pineda's swinging strike percentage of about 12% in his rookie year coupled with a walk rate below 8% make him an enticing late round flier. He's a high risk/high reward type of guy but there's definitely potential for high strikeout numbers from the former top prospect, if he can regain his form.

Brett Anderson (SP - COL) - Brett Anderson is another pitcher coming back from an injury that I'm beginning to really like as a value pick late in drafts. While moving from Oakland to Colorado will usually hurt pitchers, I don't believe it's going to hurt Anderson quite as much thanks to his career groundball rate of 55%. Further helping his chances in Coors are his GB/FB ratios of 3.59 and 2.96 in 2012 and 2013, respectively. As long as he continues to keep the ball out of the air, the ballpark shouldn't have much effect on his stats. Health is a major concern for the 26-year old, who has only started more than 19 games once in his five year career. Historically, he's a pitcher that has put up decent strikeouts and solid ratios. With a current ADP in the 39th round, he's relatively low-risk.

Billy Burns (OF - OAK) - Who is batting .300 with 7 stolen bases in 11 games this spring? His name is Billy but his last name is Burns, not Hamilton. Acquired from the Nationals in December 2013, Burns is seeing a long look this spring after moving through Single-A and Double-A last year. What stands out about his minor league numbers, besides his plus speed, is his ability to get on base. Burns' career minor league OBP is .420 and his EYE is 1.03. Between two levels, he stole 74 bases last year. He won't break camp with the A's but he could be an under-the-radar, mid-season call-up if he continues to hit, steal, and get on-base in the minor leagues this season.

Grant Balfour (RP - TB) - After failing a physical for the Baltimore Orioles in December, Grant Balfour settled for less money and signed a contract with the Rays to become their closer. Balfour repeatedly denied any health issues this off-season but admitted on Saturday that he's going through a dead arm period this spring. He has struggled in each of his last two appearances this spring, giving up 5 earned runs and 3 walks in just 1.1 IP. While it doesn't seem to be much of a concern yet, Tampa does have a few other options at closer should Balfour need to miss any time. Heath Bell has previous closer experience but struggled in his last closing gig in Florida, while Joel Peralta and Jake McGee have posted solid seasons as late inning relievers for the Rays the last couple of years.

George Springer (OF-HOU) - Despite an OBP of .368, George Springer has just 1 hit in 13 spring at-bats. One of the Astros' top prospects, Springer hit 37 HRs with 45 SBs with a slash line of .303/.411/.600 between Double-A and Triple-A last season. Springer's power/speed combo should translate to fantasy relevance once he's called up to the big leagues in the middle of this year. He posted a ridiculous ISO of .315 in 62 games at Triple-A to go along with an 88% stolen base success rate. Springer still needs to work on reducing his strikeouts but he has shown double-digit walk rates at each level in the minor leagues. Don't expect to see Springer earlier than June, however. The Astros are in no rush to start his arbitration clock.

Manny Machado (3B -BAL) - Coming off a gruesome knee injury in September last year, Machado has been rehabbing for most of the spring. While he isn't expected to be cleared for games for at least another week or two, Machado has been stepping up his activities recently and the Orioles haven't ruled out the possibility he will be ready for opening day. The third baseman got off to a great start last year, hitting 7 HRs, 57 RBIs, and .310/.337/.470 before the all-star break. Machado's sharp decrease in his LD rate in the second half from 24% to 16% could be partly responsible for the drop-off in some of his numbers. His power is still developing, as he's mainly a doubles hitter as opposed to a homerun hitter rightnow. A 6% jump in his contact rate bodes well for continued success in batting average.

Rex Brothers (RP -COL) - After filling in admirably at closer for Rafael Betancourt last season, the Rockies rewarded Rex Brothers by signing 41-year old LaToy Hawkins to close out games in 2014. Brothers posted an unsustainable 1.74 ERA with 19 saves, 12 holds, and struck out more than 10 batters per nine innings last year. He has always had a big arm but has historically struggled with his command (career average 4.76 BB/9). His fastball sits in the low to mid-90's but he also has a quality slider. Brothers' career swinging strike percentage of 13% makes it seem probable to again expect big strikeouts from him. Hawkins had a really good year last year but should he get hurt (or traded), Brothers will be a very interesting option at closer for the Rockies.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

I look for Josh Johnson to have a very strong year.

He will really enjoy pitching in that big ballpark in San Diego...

It looks like it will be a waiting game for Oscar Taveras and I agree that there is no reason to rush him.

The Cards are stacked in the outfield for the time being... (No pun intended!)

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

C Chris Stewart of the Pirates to have Knee Surgery to start the year on the DL

Tony Sanchez will make the big league club to be the back up catcher

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

I'm from Eastern Pa and drove out to Cincinnati to see the Reds play a couple games.

On the way to Ohio we stopped at PNC to see the Pirates and Royals.

I can't believe it was like 13 years ago. What a great trip it was!!!
    Gotcha! Sounds like a great trip, indeed! Yeah, where does the time go?!?!?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

might see Javier Baez in a cub uniform a bit sooner as he is working out/playing at 2nd some

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Looks like Manny Machado of the O's will not be in the lineup for opening day.

Hes recovering from scar tissue from his surgically repaired left knee.

Machado, 21, hit .283/.314/.432 (99 OPS+) with 14 homers, 71 RBI, 88 runs and an AL-best 51 doubles last season. He won the AL Platinum Glove as the best defensive player in the league, too.

MexicanStallion

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    might see Javier Baez in a cub uniform a bit sooner as he is working out/playing at 2nd some
    He was snagged early in my draft Monday. I'm very intrigued by him. He had a great minor league season for 2013. Definitely can be upgrade over Barney offensively.

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

might be worth a stab in the ladder rounds

stevenash

New York YankeesDavid Robertson Assumes Closer Role

After three strong seasons an eight-inning setup man, Robertson finally will take over full time as the Yankees closer. The 28 year-old had another strong season in 2014 pitching to a 2.04 ERA, 2.61 FIP, and 2.60 xFIP in 66.1 innings pitched. Even though he unfairly carried a reputation of unable to close games during his brief tenure as the closer in 2012 when Mariano Rivera was injured, Robertson is as qualified as anyone to take over the duties in 2014. His reverse-platoon split (3.32 FIP against RHH; 2.19 FIP against LHH) and strikeout ability (10.45 K/9 in 2013) are important components. There are some concerns with his velocity and swinging strike rate dropping in each of the last three seasons, but his ground ball rate also improved to a career best 50 percent in 2013. With improved control (2.48 BB/9 in 2013), he should be able to rack up plenty of saves and strikeouts.

Projecting Ivan Nova

Nova put together the best season of his career in 2013 pitching to a 3.10 ERA in 139.1 innings pitched. Both his FIP (3.47) and xFIP (3.68) were also favorable and the lowest rates of his career. As expected Nova's numbers improved with his HR/FB ratio regressing from 16.6 to 8.4 percent along with getting his ground ball rate back above 50 percent (53.5 percent). Nova is one of the few pitchers who has improved with limiting his repertoire, as he stopped throwing his slider and barely used his change-up last season. Nova will be a solid back end starter for owners in standard leagues, but he is more likely to post an ERA closer to his 2011 season (3.70). He benefitted from an above average strand rate last year (79.5 percent), and I would not be surprised to see a few more home runs leave the park in 2014.

MexicanStallion

^What site does that information comes from?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Robertson should should be a serviable closer

stevenash

^What site does that information comes from?
    I subscribe to a few, the one's I have been posting come from a MLB projection site called baseball insiders.

http://www.insiderbaseball.com/

stevenash

Robertson should should be a serviable closer
    I think he is the Phil Hughes of ninth inning close out guys.
    Don't trust him.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I think he is the Phil Hughes of ninth inning close out guys.
    Don't trust him.
    I agree.! No way I would draft him. (Robertson)

There's always a die-hard Yankee fan that will grab him, just because hes a Yankee.

stevenash

I agree.! No way I would draft him. (Robertson)

There's always a die-hard Yankee fan that will grab him, just because hes a Yankee.
    I'm a die hard Yankee, I don't want him

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Looks like Manny Machado of the O's will not be in the lineup for opening day.

Hes recovering from scar tissue from his surgically repaired left knee.

Machado, 21, hit .283/.314/.432 (99 OPS+) with 14 homers, 71 RBI, 88 runs and an AL-best 51 doubles last season. He won the AL Platinum Glove as the best defensive player in the league, too.
    Couldn't help it, koz-man!

Being a huge RHCP fan, this is the first thing that popped into my head...

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I'm a die hard Yankee, I don't want him
    Thats becaz your a smart Yankee fan.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Best wishes and a fast recovery to Reds A Chapman.

MexicanStallion

Definitely a scary situation. We finally get Latos throwing and on target for a return, but Chapman goes down with injury.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I hope Chapman goes on to a very healthy and successful life.... OUTSIDE of baseball

sorry i'm a Pirate Fan

stevenash

AROUND THE LEAGUE

Jake Marisnick (OF-MIA). Marisnick had 3 hits (all singles) in 5 ABs against the Astros on Tuesday. The effort raised his spring average to .375, with 3 SBs in 32 ABs. Marisnick may be playing himself into the starting CF role for the Marlins, who seem to be souring a bit on Marcell Ozuna, who is batting only .135 so far this spring. If he wins the job, Marisnick could produce double digit HR and SB totals, although he is unlikely to help in the BA category (he hit only .183 in his cup of coffee with the Marlins in 2013, although that number was dragged down by a .232 BABIP). Although he would undoubtedly benefit from more seasoning in the minors, Marisnick would be worthy of consideration in NL-only leagues if is able to secure a starting job.

Alfonso Soriano (OF-NYY). Soriano homered and drove in four runs in a win over the Red Sox on Tuesday. This was a welcome breakout for Soriano, who entered the game hitting .200/.238/.200 in 20 spring at bats. Soriano could be a relatively cheap source of power in 2014, as we currently project him to hit 28 bombs (which may be conservative, given that he will be playing a full season in Yankee stadium). One thing to keep in mind, though, is that it appears that he will be hitting sixth in the Yankee order (behind McCann and Teixeira, neither of whom is exactly fleet of foot), so his RBI totals could suffer.

Anibal Sanchez (SP-DET). Sanchez will rest for three days after receiving a cortisone shot in his throwing shoulder, after being scratched from his Monday start due to inflammation in the shoulder. The Tigers claim to be unconcerned, but any issue with Sanchez's shoulder has to be a little concern, given his past shoulder issues. Sanchez posted solid numbers in 2013 (2.57 ERA, 1.15 WHIP), which were fully supported by his peripherals (9.99 K/9, 2.39 FIP, 2.91 xFIP). Moderate regression should be expected in 2014, as Sanchez benefited from an unsustainable 5.8% HR/FB rate, but he should, assuming good health, still be able to post solid ERA and K numbers. However, I would not break the bank to acquire Sanchez, since he has had repeated issues with health in past seasons (he have never managed to crack to 200 IP mark) and the fact that he is already experiencing shoulder issues is not a good sign.

Tommy Milone (SP-OAK). With the injuries to Jarrod Parker and A.J. Griffin, Milone will start the season in the A's rotation. He therefore becomes worthy of consideration in AL-only and even in deeper mixed leagues. Milone's 2013 numbers were somewhat disappointing (4.14 ERA, 1.27 WHIP), but there were some signs of progress, as he increased his K/9 rate to 7.25. Unfortunately, that was accompanied by an increase in his BB/9 to 2.25. If Milone could rein in the walks a little (say back down to his 1.71 BB/9 rate of 2012), he could have sneaky value even in deep mixed leagues as a streaming option for his home starts (3.44 ERA in the Coliseum, 4.69 ERA on the road).

Drew Smyly (SP-DET). Smyly twirled 5 scoreless innings against the Blue Jays on Tuesday, improving his spring ERA to 3.31 in 16.1 innings. Smyly had a fantastic season pitching out of the bullpen last year, posting a stellar 2.37 ERA (2.31 FIP), 1.04 WHIP and 27% strikeout rate. While he is unlikely to match those numbers (particularly the K%) as a member of the starting rotation, Smyly is someone to target as a possible SP5 in standard mixers, as it would not be unreasonable to expect him to put up an ERA in mid to upper 3s (3.83 FIP during his tenure as a starter in 2012), with a K% in the 22-23% range (22.6% in 2012). The major negative as far as Smyly's fantasy value is concerned is that he likely will be looking at an innings cap somewhere in the 170 range, given that his high in innings pitched so far is 125 in 2011.

Melky Cabrera (OF-TOR). Cabrera went 3-for-3 with a double against the Tigers on Tuesday, raising his spring average to .395. Cabrera is currently projected to hit second in the Blue Jays lineup (between Jose Reyes and Jose Bautista), which is certainly advantageous lineup positioning and which should boost Cabrera's run totals. Although Cabrera is unlikely to produce gaudy HR totals, we do like him to have a bounce back season in 2014, with a projected .293/.339/.438 slash line.

Ian Kinsler (2B-DET). Kinsler hit a three run HR and a double in the Tigers' rout of the Blue Jays on Tuesday. While Kinsler has been on fire this spring (.333 BA with 3 HR), he is going a little too high in drafts for my taste. I think the move to Detroit will drastically reduce Kinsler's already sagging power numbers and his SB have also been declining (from 30 in 2011 to 14 in 2013. We're projecting Kinsler for a .267 BA with 17 HR and 21 SB in 2014. With that kind of projected production, I will let someone else take Kinsler as a sixth round pick (current ADP of 6.02).

Marco Estrada (SP-MIL). Estrada dominated the Rangers on Tuesday, hurling 6 shutout innings while striking out 5. I like Estrada as a "post-sleeper sleeper" in 2014, as he was a popular sleeper last year who is viewed as having had an extremely disappointing year. However, while he is perceived as having been a disappointment, his final numbers (3.87 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 8.3 K/9) show that Estrada actually posted a pretty solid (if injury-interrupted) season. Assuming he can stay healthy (which, given the rate at which pitchers are going down this spring, is a big assumption), Estrada is an excellent choice as an SP5 or 6 (we project him to post a 3.78 ERA and 1.15 WHIP in 2014).

Chase Headley (3B-SD). Headley has been cleared to participate in a minor league game on Wednesday and is expected to make his Cactus League debut on Thursday. Headley has been dealing with a strained calf, but still hopes to be ready for Opening Day. Assuming he's healthy in time for the start of the season, I like Headley as a cheaper 3B option. His perceived value seems to have plummeted in light of his disappointing and injury-plagued 2013 and, although he's not likely to repeat his 2012 numbers, we do expect him to find a happy medium between 2012 and 2013 (2014 projection of .270/.359/.438, with 20 HR and 9 SB). I would be more than happy to get that production out of a 13th round pick (current ADP is 13.08)

Coco Crisp (OF-OAK). Crisp went 3 for 3 on Tuesday against the White Sox, to raise his spring average to .357. Crisp appears determined to prove that 2013 was no fluke. However, his 22 HRs are likely not repeatable - Crisp posted a 12.4% HR/FB ratio in 2013, which is 5 points higher than his career rate. That is not to say that Crisp won't be valuable in 2014 - we project him to hit .273 with 13 HR and 30 SB, which is certainly production that can help a fantasy team.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Yeah, that was difficult to watch. I've always said that I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often...

Definitely a scary situation. We finally get Latos throwing and on target for a return, but Chapman goes down with injury.

Any word on how long he'll be out?

I hope Chapman goes on to a very healthy and successful life.... OUTSIDE of baseball

sorry i'm a Pirate Fan
    Love ya, Arch!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Baez making some noise in spring training for cubs

MexicanStallion

The Reds will start with Broxton, Marshall and Chapman on DL. Then Simon in rotation for Latos if he can't be ready by 4/6. So they have 3 relievers of 7 in the bullpen to start the season.

First ... 6789101112 ... Last