CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

10 days for baseball. Still sounds far from now

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15372

What covid protocols are in place if a bunch of guys on the same team get it??

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10331

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    What covid protocols are in place if a bunch of guys on the same team get it??
    bring up the triple A Team?

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16024

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    So close to baseball, I can taste it!
    Yes it is and I can't wait until I'm able to attend a Giants game again. They may or may not be good this year but I always love going to Oracle Park and taking in a game at the best stadium in baseball in my opinion.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47601

Tommy Pham is heating up...expect a nice bounceback season assuming he stays healthy.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 602

Who's the opening day starting pitchers?

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Oracle Park looks pretty awesome on tv.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32550

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Tommy Pham is heating up...expect a nice bounceback season assuming he stays healthy.
    I was looking at his spring numbers Sunday.
    (I do that before my draft, I realize it's spring training but I still want to know who is swinging a hot bat.)
    Pham's ADP is up to 135 now (11th round) and I'd consider him Pham 10th round (say at pick 122 depending on my OF situation after the first 9 rounds) He has 20 swipe potential, but I'll take 14-18 SB's.

Pham and Myers are looking good so far in SD

Other player I have my eye on is Red Sox Bobby Dalbec.
    6 taters, .333
    I've had this feeling about him for a few months this could be his breakout season.

Over in KC land Michael Taylor is playing out of his shoes all spring.
    Maybe he needed out of Washington after all.

And Booby Witt's kid (Jr.) is killing it.
    No rush on him, he's still a teenager (19) or just turned 20.
    He'll start in Omaha, but get used to that name.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Who's the opening day starting pitchers?
    You can find that info on MLB.com. Some of the teams still haven't named an opening day starter but as of right now 20 or so of the teams have decided who they're sending out there for opening day.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Otters27

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2476

I like it!

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 693

The Blue Jays received some unwelcome injury news Tuesday, Kaitlyn McGrath of The Athletic was among those to report. Right-handed reliever Kirby Yates will likely undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the entire season, outfielder George Springer has a Grade 2 oblique strain, and lefty Robbie Ray suffered a bruised elbow.
    An elite end-of-game option with the Padres from 2018-19, Yates threw 4 1/3 innings last season as he dealt with elbow issues. That didn’t stop the Blue Jays from taking a one-year, $5.5MM chance on him in free agency this past offseason, but the would-be closer was diagnosed with a flexor strain Monday. It now looks as if Yates may never pitch for the club, which could lean on the likes of Jordan Romano, David Phelps, Rafael Dolis and Tyler Chatwood for saves in his absence.
    The news on Springer and Ray also comes off as alarming, though neither injury appears especially serious. Toronto is hopeful that Springer, a former Astros standout who signed a whopping six-year, $150MM guarantee in the offseason, will be ready for Opening Day. Likewise, the Jays could have Ray ready for the start of the season. The team re-signed him to a one-year, $8MM pact in free agency.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

13 more days, March madness leading us to the promised land.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

It is by far my favorite ballpark I've been to but I'm a bit biased. I have been to Wrigley and up until Oracle was built that was easily the best park I had been to as far as atmosphere goes. It's still a close second though especially when you're able to go to a day game there.

EmpireMaker

Rockies left-hander Kyle Freeland exited his outing against the Athletics on Tuesday with a strained pitching shoulder, per Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post. Freeland left the mound in pain after throwing a pitch to the A’s Mark Canha, as Thomas Harding of MLB.com tweets.
    There is no word on how serious Freeland’s injury is, but it does look like one that could sideline him for at least the beginning of the regular season. A healthy Freeland would follow No. 1 starter German Marquez in the Rockies’ rotation, having thrown 70 2/3 innings of 4.33 ERA/4.95 SIERA ball last year. Those aren’t great numbers – especially compared to a 2018 effort in which Freeland put up a 2.85 ERA/4.35 SIERA in 202 1/3 innings and finished fourth in National League Cy Young voting – but they were markedly better than the 6.73 ERA/5.19 SIERA he recorded over 104 1/3 frames in 2019. The 27-year-old has followed last season’s bounce-back performance with seven scoreless innings and six strikeouts against one walk this spring.
    If Freeland isn’t available to start the season, the Rockies will open with Marquez, Jon Gray, Austin Gomber and Antonio Senzatela as their top four. Ryan Castellani, Antonio Santos and Jose Mujica are also on their 40-man roster, but Dereck Rodriguez and Chi Chi Gonzalez are in the mix as NRIs.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

gotta watch those injuries

JAKEPEAVY21

Tatis hurt his arm on an infield throw...praying it is not serious.

stevenash

Tatis hurt his arm on an infield throw...praying it is not serious.
    He should be OK, I did pretty much the same thing when I was catching back in the day when the T-Rex roamed in my back yard.

Here' 'ya go JP, this'll cheer you up.
    (Poor Pirates, they get no love)

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/artic...tes-win-totals

JAKEPEAVY21

• FERNANDO TATIS JR.SS, SAN DIEGO PADRES

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that there are "sighs of relief coming from all parties" as to the status of Fernando Tatis Jr.'s left shoulder.

“He’s fine,” said one person close to Tatis after he was examined following Tuesday's early departure from a Cactus League game against the Reds. The star shortstop felt some left shoulder discomfort while backhanding a Jonathan India grounder in the bottom of the third inning and promptly walked off the field, which sent up red flags all across the baseball industry. From this early reporting, it sounds like it might have just been a scare.

SOURCE: San Diego Union-Tribune
      Mar 23, 2021, 6:42 PM ET

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    The Blue Jays received some unwelcome injury news Tuesday, Kaitlyn McGrath of The Athletic was among those to report. Right-handed reliever Kirby Yates will likely undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the entire season, outfielder George Springer has a Grade 2 oblique strain, and lefty Robbie Ray suffered a bruised elbow.
    An elite end-of-game option with the Padres from 2018-19, Yates threw 4 1/3 innings last season as he dealt with elbow issues. That didn’t stop the Blue Jays from taking a one-year, $5.5MM chance on him in free agency this past offseason, but the would-be closer was diagnosed with a flexor strain Monday. It now looks as if Yates may never pitch for the club, which could lean on the likes of Jordan Romano, David Phelps, Rafael Dolis and Tyler Chatwood for saves in his absence.
    The news on Springer and Ray also comes off as alarming, though neither injury appears especially serious. Toronto is hopeful that Springer, a former Astros standout who signed a whopping six-year, $150MM guarantee in the offseason, will be ready for Opening Day. Likewise, the Jays could have Ray ready for the start of the season. The team re-signed him to a one-year, $8MM pact in free agency.
    Damn, not the news I wanted to hear so close to the season starting.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10331

• FERNANDO TATIS JR.SS, SAN DIEGO PADRES

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that there are "sighs of relief coming from all parties" as to the status of Fernando Tatis Jr.'s left shoulder.

“He’s fine,” said one person close to Tatis after he was examined following Tuesday's early departure from a Cactus League game against the Reds. The star shortstop felt some left shoulder discomfort while backhanding a Jonathan India grounder in the bottom of the third inning and promptly walked off the field, which sent up red flags all across the baseball industry. From this early reporting, it sounds like it might have just been a scare.

SOURCE: San Diego Union-Tribune
      Mar 23, 2021, 6:42 PM ET
    wow scary for a padre fan for a bit.....

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

It's been 20 years since this happened

stevenash

Now Gallen has a fractured arm, Kirby Yates needs elbow surgery....

This is why I reserve the last slot (9 pm March 31) in the NBFC to daft my team.

You can spend 2 months preparing for a draft, have your draft on say March 10, and have your team blown up before first pitch of opening day.

I've already spend 8 weeks on this draft, and have made at least 100 plus adjustments.
    And 100 is a conservative number.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post

This is why I reserve the last slot (9 pm March 31) in the NBFC to daft my team.

You can spend 2 months preparing for a draft, have your draft on say March 10, and have your team blown up before first pitch of opening day.

I've already spend 8 weeks on this draft, and have made at least 100 plus adjustments.
    Always draft as close to the start of the season as possible.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post

Probably a smart idea but I drafted a roto team tonight and have a big money h2h league that's a slow draft (draft by email) and unfortunately I lost Zac Gallen in that league to a hairline fracture in his arm. Luckily he won't be out for the year like Yates but it still sucks to draft early and lose a player. I know I should have waited like I did with my other leagues but sometimes I just like to draft and with it being a slow draft it usually takes about 2 weeks to complete since you have an 8 hour clock to make a pick.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 602

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Always draft as close to the start of the season as possible.
    Interested to see what percentage of players get hurt during spring training

EmpireMaker

4:53pm: The deal includes a $3.5MM signing bonus that McCullers will earn along with his $6.5MM salary this year, Bob Nightengale of USA Today relays. McCullers will make salaries of $15.25MM from 2022-23 and $17MM from 2024-26.
    3:10pm: The Astros and right-hander Lance McCullers Jr. have agreed to a five-year contract extension, according to Mark Berman of Fox 26. The pact is worth $85MM, Jeff Passan of ESPN reports. There are no options in the deal, but it does include a limited no-trade clause, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network. McCullers had been set to enter his final season of team control, so this agreement will keep the Boras Corporation client under wraps through 2026. Because it doesn’t kick in until next year, it won’t affect the Astros’ plans to stay under the luxury-tax threshold this season.

McCullers, who’s about to embark on his age-27 campaign, has been a career-long Astro to this point. The team used the 41st overall pick on him in 2012, and he has since produced quality results in the majors. Dating back to his big league debut in 2015, McCullers has pitched to a 3.70 ERA/3.61 SIERA with an above-average strikeout rate (26.4) and a tremendous 55.2 percent groundball rate across 508 2/3 innings. With the exception of 2016, in which he walked more than five batters per nine, McCullers has generally hovered around the 3.00 mark during his career.
    Durability has been a problem for McCullers, though, as he has never even reached the 130-inning mark in a season. He topped out at 128 1/3 frames in 2018, the year after he helped pitch the Astros to a World Series championship, before undergoing Tommy John surgery. McCullers missed all of 2019 as a result of the procedure, but he did make a strong return last year with 11 starts and 55 innings of 3.93 ERA/3.95 SIERA pitching, solid strikeout and walk percentages (24.7 and 8.8, respectively) and a 59.7 percent grounder rate.
    While it’s risky for the Astros to make this type of commitment to a hurler who has had trouble staying healthy, they know McCullers is at least a mid-rotation-caliber starter when he does take the mound. And this move will lead to less uncertainty in Houston’s starting staff a year from now, as Zack Greinke and Justin Verlander could depart in free agency next offseason. Even if those two exit, the Astros figure to return McCullers, Jake Odorizzi, Framber Valdez, Cristian Javier and Jose Urquidy in 2022.
    Of course, next winter’s free-agent class looks a bit less interesting with McCullers off the market. But Greinke, Verlander, Trevor Bauer (if he opts out of his Dodgers deal), Max Scherzer, Clayton Kershaw, Noah Syndergaard, Marcus Stroman and Kevin Gausman are among many established starters who could be searching for new deals then.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

McCullers could be good for awhile or he might disappear overnight

JAKEPEAVY21

I can't believe Houston paid McCullers that much. He seems to be injured a lot and is not that great when he is on the field.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Interested to see what percentage of players get hurt during spring training
    Soon as I have a second cup of coffee and after I tend to the real life business that is your pal Nasher I'll post just the injuries to the top '350' draftable players. 350 is magic number I concentrate on before I focus on deep sleepers and reserves.

I don't mind, I need to focus on each teams 'handcuffed' closers (handcuffed meaning backup closer, or setup men to be the teams closer if the primary closer goes dawn)

Told my wife last night (who is a big Red Sox fan from birth) "Drafting next week, I'll be in my office for the next seven days, knock on my door if the house is on fire" lol

stevenash

UPDATED CLOSER REPORT

Team Player Security Health Other Closer Candidates
    ARI Joakim Soria Low Good Stefan Crichton, Yoan Lopez, Kevin Ginkel, Chris Devenski
    ATL Will Smith Medium Good Chris Martin, A.J. Minter, Luke Jackson
    BAL Tanner Scott Very Low Good Shawn Armstrong, Cesar Valdez, Cole Sulser, Hunter Harvey
    BOS Matt Barnes Very Low Good Adam Ottavino, Ryan Brasier, Darwinzon Hernandez, Hirokazu Sawamura
    CHC Craig Kimbrel Medium Good Rowan Wick, Brandon Workman, Andrew Chafin, Dan Winkler
    CIN Amir Garrett Very Low Good Lucas Sims, Sean Doolittle, Tejay Antone
    CLE James Karinchak Very Low Good Nick Wittgren, Emmanuel Clase, Blake Parker
    COL Daniel Bard Low Good Scott Oberg, Mychal Givens, Yency Almonte
    CWS Liam Hendriks Very High Questionable Aaron Bummer, Garrett Crochet, Matt Foster, Codi Heuer
    DET Gregory Soto Very Low Good Bryan Garcia, Jose Cisnero, Joe Jimenez, Buck Farmer
    HOU Ryan Pressly High Good Joe Smith, Pedro Baez, Enoli Paredes, Josh James
    KC Greg Holland Medium Questionable Josh Staumont, Scott Barlow, Jesse Hahn
    LAA Raisel Iglesias High Good Mike Mayers, Ty Buttrey, Felix Pena
    LAD Kenley Jansen Medium Good Blake Treinen, Joe Kelly, Victor Gonzalez
    MIA Anthony Bass Low Good Yimi Garcia, Dylan Floro, Richard Bleier, John Curtiss
    MIL Josh Hader Very High Good Devin Williams, Freddy Peralta, Brent Suter
    MIN Alex Colome Low Good Taylor Rogers, Tyler Duffey, Hansel Robles, Cody Stashak
    NYM Edwin Diaz Medium Good Seth Lugo, Trevor May, Jeurys Familia, Aaron Loup
    NYY Aroldis Chapman Very High Good Chad Green, Jonathan Loaisiga, Zack Britton
    OAK Trevor Rosenthal High Good Adam Kolarek, Jake Diekman, Sergio Romo, J.B. Wendelken, Adam Kolarek
    PHI Archie Bradley Very Low Good Hector Neris, Jose Alvarado, Brandon Kintzler, Sam Coonrod, Tony Watson
    PIT Richard Rodriguez Low Good Kyle Crick, Chris Stratton, Michael Feliz, Chasen Shreve
    SD Mark Melancon Very Low Good Emilio Pagan, Drew Pomeranz, Austin Adams, Pierce Johnson, Keone Kela
    SEA Rafael Montero Low Good Keynan Middleton, Anthony Misiewicz, Kendall Graveman
    SF Jake McGee Very Low Good Aaron Sanchez, Reyes Moronta, Tyler Rogers, Matt Wisler
    STL Jordan Hicks Very Low Questionable Giovanny Gallegos, Andrew Miller, Ryan Helsley, Alex Reyes, Genesis Cabrera
    TB Diego Castillo Very Low Good Nick Anderson, Pete Fairbanks, Ryan Thompson
    TEX Ian Kennedy Very Low Good Matt Bush, Joely Rodriguez, Josh Sborz, Brett Martin, Jose Leclerc, Jonathan Hernandez
    TOR Jordan Romano Very Low Good Rafael Dolis, David Phelps, Tyler Chatwood, Ryan Borucki
    WAS Brad Hand High Good Daniel Hudson, Tanner Rainey, Will Harris
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: EmpireMaker

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Nash making my day brighter with the dedication to research.

stevenash

Nash making my day brighter with the dedication to research.
    Thank you for that.
    It's what I do for a living (well not baseball numbers lol).

Thing about research though is after a couple hours or more your eyeball begin to 'bleed'
    When the brain says STOP ENOUGH for now, you better stop or you just make silly mistakes.

Not for nothing, the INJ list is not as big as I thought is would be.
    30 'draftable' players, 16 hitters and 14 pitchers that are gone for the year or have injuries that make them 'undraftable'

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Eloy Jimenez out for 5-6 months, tough one for the CWS:https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ectoral-tendon

First ... 20212223242526 ... Last