jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16024

I wanted Harper on the Giants but he wanted too many years and got a team to give him what he wanted all along so I guess it’s good he’s now a Phillie. I think he’ll put up monster numbers at Citizens Bank ballpark but it’ll be interesting to see what the Phillies look like when he starts to decline.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 626

Is Harper really going to last 13 years

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Is Harper really going to last 13 years
    maybe at DH, he plays hard and seems to get injured

but what is his offseason and in season fitness/diet regime like?

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47621

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    Harper sure did fool us all. Man I thought he was west coast bound I'm just glad he's not a Dodger. I can't believe he signed a 13 year deal thats nuts if you ask me even though Harper is in his prime.
    agreed 13 years is insane.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy
    dudekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Well, they got their guy, I guess....Id MUCH rather have Arenado locked up than Harper though, that contract will be an albatross down the line either way

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 717

I think signing Harper for that much and for that long is a horrible decision.

EmpireMaker

Hanley Ramirez spoke to The Athletic’s Zack Meisel about his comeback bid with the Indians (subscription required), revealing that he had offers to join clubs following his release from the Red Sox last May. At the time, Ramirez told his agent that he preferred to take the remainder of the season to “get my body healthy and come back next year.” Informed that doing so would likely mean settling for a minor league contract — which proved spot on — Ramirez simply said he trusts himself and his ability to hit. As Meisel notes, that ability to hit is key for Ramirez, who’ll be viewed as a designated hitter if he breaks camp with Cleveland. That, in turn, would likely mean Carlos Santana serving as a dedicated first baseman and Jake Bauers playing primarily in the outfield, which would lead to further decisions in a muddled outfield mix.
    A bit more from around the division…

• Twins slugger Miguel Sano is still about a week away from having the protective boot from his right foot, writes La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The laceration on his heel is “probably about 80 percent healed,” per Twins trainer Tony Leo, but its proximity to Sano’s Achilles tendon necessitates that it be fully healed up before he can resume baseball activity. That timeline could put Sano in doubt for Opening Day, though if all goes according to plan, he’ll have three weeks to build up to game activity and begin taking at-bats and reps at third base. New manager Rocco Baldelli simply stated that there’s “no way to say for sure” what Sano’s timeline is until the boot comes off.
    • White Sox pitching prospect Dane Dunning won’t throw for seven to 10 days after having his recent bout of forearm discomfort examined by team physicians and doctor James Andrews, the team announced (h/t: Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times, on Twitter). He’s slated to begin a throwing program at that point, assuming the pain in his arm has alleviated. Acquired alongside Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez in the 2016 Adam Eaton swap, Dunning has raised his profile with the ChiSox and has drawn his share of praise on top 100 prospect rankings throughout the industry. However, while he turned in a stellar 2.71 ERA with 10.4 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9 between Class-A Advanced and Double-A last season, the 24-year-old was also limited to 86 1/3 innings by an elbow sprain.
    • Tigers roster hopeful Dustin Peterson chatted with Chris McCosky of the Detroit News about his surprise at being designated for assignment by the Braves late last season and the opportunity he now has before him with his new organization. Peterson, who was promptly claimed by the Tigers upon hitting waivers, said he’d been hoping for a September call-up on the heels of a strong finish to his season in Triple-A Gwinnett. (Indeed, he hit .296/.345/.441 over his final 200 PAs with Gwinnett.) Instead, however, he was informed he’d been designated in order to make room on the roster for Preston Tucker (who’d spend the final month with Atlanta before being cut loose himself). McCosky notes that Peterson has been working out at first base to increase his versatility in a bid to make the Opening Day roster, though he does have a pair of minor league options remaining. Peterson could also see some time at DH, though manager Ron Gardenhire indicated to McCosky that the precise manner in which he utilizes the DH slot will be determined by how often Miguel Cabrera is capable of playing first base

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33290

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    13 years sounds like an absolute disaster, worse than Pujols deal.

First thing I thought about was the Pujols contract .

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    Hanley Ramirez spoke to The Athletic’s Zack Meisel about his comeback bid with the Indians (subscription required), revealing that he had offers to join clubs following his release from the Red Sox last May. At the time, Ramirez told his agent that he preferred to take the remainder of the season to “get my body healthy and come back next year.” Informed that doing so would likely mean settling for a minor league contract — which proved spot on — Ramirez simply said he trusts himself and his ability to hit. As Meisel notes, that ability to hit is key for Ramirez, who’ll be viewed as a designated hitter if he breaks camp with Cleveland. That, in turn, would likely mean Carlos Santana serving as a dedicated first baseman and Jake Bauers playing primarily in the outfield, which would lead to further decisions in a muddled outfield mix.
    A bit more from around the division…

• Twins slugger Miguel Sano is still about a week away from having the protective boot from his right foot, writes La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The laceration on his heel is “probably about 80 percent healed,” per Twins trainer Tony Leo, but its proximity to Sano’s Achilles tendon necessitates that it be fully healed up before he can resume baseball activity. That timeline could put Sano in doubt for Opening Day, though if all goes according to plan, he’ll have three weeks to build up to game activity and begin taking at-bats and reps at third base. New manager Rocco Baldelli simply stated that there’s “no way to say for sure” what Sano’s timeline is until the boot comes off.
    • White Sox pitching prospect Dane Dunning won’t throw for seven to 10 days after having his recent bout of forearm discomfort examined by team physicians and doctor James Andrews, the team announced (h/t: Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times, on Twitter). He’s slated to begin a throwing program at that point, assuming the pain in his arm has alleviated. Acquired alongside Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez in the 2016 Adam Eaton swap, Dunning has raised his profile with the ChiSox and has drawn his share of praise on top 100 prospect rankings throughout the industry. However, while he turned in a stellar 2.71 ERA with 10.4 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9 between Class-A Advanced and Double-A last season, the 24-year-old was also limited to 86 1/3 innings by an elbow sprain.
    • Tigers roster hopeful Dustin Peterson chatted with Chris McCosky of the Detroit News about his surprise at being designated for assignment by the Braves late last season and the opportunity he now has before him with his new organization. Peterson, who was promptly claimed by the Tigers upon hitting waivers, said he’d been hoping for a September call-up on the heels of a strong finish to his season in Triple-A Gwinnett. (Indeed, he hit .296/.345/.441 over his final 200 PAs with Gwinnett.) Instead, however, he was informed he’d been designated in order to make room on the roster for Preston Tucker (who’d spend the final month with Atlanta before being cut loose himself). McCosky notes that Peterson has been working out at first base to increase his versatility in a bid to make the Opening Day roster, though he does have a pair of minor league options remaining. Peterson could also see some time at DH, though manager Ron Gardenhire indicated to McCosky that the precise manner in which he utilizes the DH slot will be determined by how often Miguel Cabrera is capable of playing first base
    Man interesting stuff going on here wtf???????

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Is true that the Phillies sold $100k worth in tickets in one day after signing Harper?

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

If Salvador Perez does miss significant time, it'd be a huge blow to the already-thin catcher position in fantasy. He was one of the few you could trust for power, projected to finish second at the position with 25 home runs, behind only Gary Sanchez.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

At least its 13 years for $330M and not 10 years for $330M. The average value of $25.38M helps the Phillies with luxury tax if they sign more free agents down the line.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10367

I wanted Harper on the Giants but he wanted too many years and got a team to give him what he wanted all along so I guess it’s good he’s now a Phillie. I think he’ll put up monster numbers at Citizens Bank ballpark but it’ll be interesting to see what the Phillies look like when he starts to decline.
    I was intrigued when the giants were in the mix.....but the long term thing was crazy....just didn't think he was that guy....

eaglesfan371
    The great game of POT...LIMIT...OMAHA
    eaglesfan371's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Just saw this thread and will likely contribute some as time goes on. Wow, as an Orioles fan that win total is quite depressing.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Orioles are going to win the world series this year eagles.....

EmpireMaker

• Brock Holt is eligible for free agency after the 2019 season, but the Red Sox super-utilityman tells Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald that he “would love to stay here for the rest of my career — I’m happy here, my family’s happy here, I love everything about being a Boston Red Sox.” Holt’s versatility has made him an important depth piece for the Sox, capable of filling in at multiple positions and also providing some decent production at the plate; Holt’s .362 OBP and .411 slugging percentage last season were both career bests. There’s certainly value available for Boston in keeping Holt, and an extension would hardly break the bank (Holt is earning $3.575MM this season). The Red Sox have been discussing extensions with some higher-profile names this spring, which could explain why the team hasn’t yet approached Holt or his representatives about a new deal.
    • The Cardinals were the only team that made Matt Wieters an offer this winter, MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch tweets, which is why the veteran catcher signed on with St. Louis on a minor league deal. Wieters is far from the only veteran who had a tough time finding work in the quiet free agent market, and the former four-time All-Star’s value took a severe hit following three consecutive subpar years with the Orioles and Nationals. While Wieters had to settle for a non-guaranteed deal, he at least has a solid shot at winning the job as Yadier Molina’s backup.
    • Buster Posey appeared in his first Spring Training game today, catching three innings and generally looking in good condition following last August’s hip surgery. “It would have been nice to maybe ease into it a little bit but it was also nice to check off some more boxes, and we’ll see how my body responds tomorrow and Sunday. Overall I was really happy with the way it felt,” Posey told reporters, including Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area. Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi indicated earlier this month that the team would bring Posey along carefully in his recovery process, though the catcher seems to be making a case to appear in the Giants’ Opening Day lineup.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by batt33 View Post
    I was intrigued when the giants were in the mix.....but the long term thing was crazy....just didn't think he was that guy....
    They may have dodged a bullet. I read where the Giants offered 12 years for 310 million dollars. I know we need an impact player as we're getting older every year but that would have been a terrible deal for the Giants probably so now that I think about it I'm glad he's with the Phillies.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    • Brock Holt is eligible for free agency after the 2019 season, but the Red Sox super-utilityman tells Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald that he “would love to stay here for the rest of my career — I’m happy here, my family’s happy here, I love everything about being a Boston Red Sox.” Holt’s versatility has made him an important depth piece for the Sox, capable of filling in at multiple positions and also providing some decent production at the plate; Holt’s .362 OBP and .411 slugging percentage last season were both career bests. There’s certainly value available for Boston in keeping Holt, and an extension would hardly break the bank (Holt is earning $3.575MM this season). The Red Sox have been discussing extensions with some higher-profile names this spring, which could explain why the team hasn’t yet approached Holt or his representatives about a new deal.
    • The Cardinals were the only team that made Matt Wieters an offer this winter, MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch tweets, which is why the veteran catcher signed on with St. Louis on a minor league deal. Wieters is far from the only veteran who had a tough time finding work in the quiet free agent market, and the former four-time All-Star’s value took a severe hit following three consecutive subpar years with the Orioles and Nationals. While Wieters had to settle for a non-guaranteed deal, he at least has a solid shot at winning the job as Yadier Molina’s backup.
    • Buster Posey appeared in his first Spring Training game today, catching three innings and generally looking in good condition following last August’s hip surgery. “It would have been nice to maybe ease into it a little bit but it was also nice to check off some more boxes, and we’ll see how my body responds tomorrow and Sunday. Overall I was really happy with the way it felt,” Posey told reporters, including Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area. Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi indicated earlier this month that the team would bring Posey along carefully in his recovery process, though the catcher seems to be making a case to appear in the Giants’ Opening Day lineup.

Brock Holt worked hard and made himself into a valuable piece

JAKEPEAVY21

Padres with the #1 farm system again this year by MLB.com, by a wide margin too.

A lot of the young pitchers looking very good so far in spring training...keep an eye out for Chris Paddack, guy has some filthy stuff and great mound presence.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Padres with the #1 farm system again this year by MLB.com, by a wide margin too.

A lot of the young pitchers looking very good so far in spring training...keep an eye out for Chris Paddack, guy has some filthy stuff and great mound presence.
    They had some solid young pitchers last year for sure. Joey Luchessi was pretty good early on until he got hurt. Interested to see how they do in their 2nd year

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by dudekid View Post
    They had some solid young pitchers last year for sure. Joey Luchessi was pretty good early on until he got hurt. Interested to see how they do in their 2nd year
    Lucchesi and Lauer had pretty good rookie seasons last year.

The next wave of young starting pitchers will be Paddack, Allen and Quantrill. I'm very high on the first 2, not so with Quantrill.

Gore, Patino, Baez, Morejon and Espinoza are a year or 2 away still.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Byron Buxton's three home runs and 11 RBIs early in spring games really don't matter much to me. What does stand out: He has yet to whiff in 11 trips to the plate. Improving his contact rate would go the furthest towards him finally realizing his potential.ESPN

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Quote Originally Posted by batt33 View Post
    Do you think the Giants should blow it up? The Posey, MadBum, Crawford core's best days might be over.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post

Do you have a link for it? I'm too lazy to search.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Padres are the team to watch for sure!

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Do you have a link for it? I'm too lazy to search.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/top-10-farm...eline-coverage

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    Do you think the Giants should blow it up? The Posey, MadBum, Crawford core's best days might be over.
    As a fan I hope the Giants don't blow it up because I like all those guys but it might be the best move for them because I don't anticipate them going anywhere again this season so it might make sense to become sellers at the deadline for the first time in forever to restock a barren farm system.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    Byron Buxton's three home runs and 11 RBIs early in spring games really don't matter much to me. What does stand out: He has yet to whiff in 11 trips to the plate. Improving his contact rate would go the furthest towards him finally realizing his potential.ESPN
    guy could finally break out

JAKEPEAVY21

As a fan I hope the Giants don't blow it up because I like all those guys but it might be the best move for them because I don't anticipate them going anywhere again this season so it might make sense to become sellers at the deadline for the first time in forever to restock a barren farm system.
    agreed, might as well blow it up and start over.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

Buxton could be a steal late in fantasy drafts. I remember a couple years ago he went on one of the best Post-ASB runs ive ever seen

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 626

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Padres are the team to watch for sure!
    NL West to be very competitive

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10367

Agreed with that thought except I'm Not worried about the farm system....just look at the dodgers farm system ( great for years) but still no rings except when the VHS tapes were popular!

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Think they should sell off those vets while they still have value. It's tough as a fan but its the right thing to do for the franchise.

Wanted the Jays to trade Donaldson way back when he had 1.5 years left of team control when it obvious the Jays weren't going to be able to compete with NYY and BOS. Management decided to wait and do band aid signings that didn't work and then JD got injured and the Jays ended up getting nothing for him basically.

He still had good value even last winter when the Jays could have gotten Jack Flaherty from the Cardinals for him.
    Last edited by BigSpoon; 03-03-19 at 11:11 AM.

EmpireMaker

As a team with neither a proven closer nor much money on its books, the Rays theoretically make sense for free agent Craig Kimbrel, the premier reliever on the open market. Reigning American League Cy Young winner Blake Snell agrees, having lobbied the Rays to sign Kimbrel, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. However, officials from the low-budget Rays “have seemed adamant” that they’re not planning to pursue Kimbrel, Topkin writes. On whether Kimbrel would be worth it for Tampa Bay, Snell said: “I think so; I don’t know what they’re thinking. I’m pushing money. I want us to push as much as we’re able to. As much as we can get rid of, let’s go dump it into his hands.’’ Despite Snell’s hope that the Rays will splurge on Kimbrel, Topkin is careful to point out that the left-hander likes the team’s roster as is. Moreover, Snell’s not going to complain if the Rays don’t sign Kimbrel, Topkin adds.
    Here’s more on Tampa Bay and one of its division rivals:

• Rays third baseman Matt Duffy is dealing with left hamstring tightness, though the club’s not “overly” concerned, according to manager Kevin Cash (via Topkin and Eduardo A. Encina). However, given that it has been an ongoing issue for Duffy this spring, it’s cause for wariness, Topkin and Encina observe. Duffy, 28, was one of the Rays’ most valuable position players in 2018, when he hit .294/.361/.366 and accounted for 2.4 fWAR over 560 plate appearances.
    • Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia will “most likely” make his spring debut next weekend if he gets through his workout unscathed this Monday, manager Alex Cora said Saturday (via Christopher Smith of MassLive.com). The workout will include “everything. Ground balls, hit, run, everything,” Cora revealed. Although the Red Sox won their third championship of Pedroia’s career last season, their success came without the 35-year-old, who only appeared in three games as he battled left knee problems.
    • With a reunion appearing unlikely between Kimbrel and the Red Sox, whose bullpen looks like their weakest area, pitching coach Dana LeVangie & Co. are searching for hidden gems from within, Jen McAffrey of The Athletic details (subscription required). Specifically, the Red Sox are hoping to stumble on the next Ryan Brasier, a minor league addition a year ago who went on to enjoy a breakout season at the age of 30. During its bullpen bargain hunting this past offseason, Boston acquired one reliever via trade and another 10 on minors deals, notes McAffrey, who goes on to break down all of the 20 relievers who are currently in camp with the club.

JAKEPEAVY21

Kimbrel would be a real nice pickup by Tampa Bay

First ... 16171819202122 ... Last