SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Rank your Top 10 coaches...

Interesting to see where you guys rank the coaches.....

I use a coaching ranking when I create my power numbers.

Do you guys?

Venom OG
    Venom OG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 514

it's tough for me to rank them because some have had longer careers than others, with more time to show what they can do, but to me these coaches have all shown an ability to get the most out of their players:

saban
    meyer
    patterson
    shaw
    gundy
    dantoni
    snyder
    spurrier
    fitzgerald
    miles

i would be interested to see how you rank them.

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

1. Nick Saban - Alabama (4 national championships, absolute best CEO in college football)
    2. Urban Meyer - Ohio State (2 national championships, ain't nothing but a winner)
    3. Steve Spurrier - South Carolina (1 national championship, loves football, hate's to lose)
    4. Chris Petersen - Boise State (Just wins..over and over and over...84-8 in 7 years)

Others with no order: Frank Beamer (Virginia Tech), Brian Kelly (Notre Dame), Gary Paterson (TCU),
    Bill Snyder (Kansas State), Bob Stoops (Oklahoma)

Two young coaches to watch: Dave Doeien (Northern Illinois) and Mark Hudspeth (La-Lafayette).

SamDiamond

My 10.

1. Saban
    2. Meyer
    3. Petersen
    4. Patterson
    5. Bill Snyder
    6. Richt
    7. Kelly
    8. Stoops
    9. Spurrier
    10. Art Briles

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

SD, your opinion is as worthwhile as mine.

I left Mark Richt off because he's had several opportunities to really step-up to another level and has fallen short. I like Richt, if I had a kid, Richt is the kind of coach I would want him to play for. He's a good, honest man. But, ain't no better recruiting grounds in the south better than Georgia. Florida maybe....but not much difference.

Art Briles is a legion in Texas high school football and has become a fine college coach. Frank Beamer is a proven winner, many years over....might differ with you there in leaving the Beav off your list. Beamer has done more with less than most any other coach...ever been to Blacksburg?

Good thread....food for thought my friend.

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    SD, your opinion is as worthwhile as mine.

I left Mark Richt off because he's had several opportunities to really step-up to another level and has fallen short. I like Richt, if I had a kid, Richt is the kind of coach I would want him to play for. He's a good, honest man. But, ain't no better recruiting grounds in the south better than Georgia. Florida maybe....but not much difference.

Art Briles is a legion in Texas high school football and has become a fine college coach. Frank Beamer is a proven winner, many years over....might differ with you there in leaving the Beav off your list. Beamer has done more with less than most any other coach...ever been to Blacksburg?

Good thread....food for thought my friend.
    Clarification on Beamer. If I was making my list based on a career, Beamer would make my list, but I think he has taken a step back recently. In the last three years he has had some bad losses, including that home loss to James Madison. Last year was more of a slide, in a weakish conference.

Beamer is certainly Top 20 for me though.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I will leave out Spurrier, who had a great round one in Florida, but has not done much at South Carolina. I will also pass on Richt, who obviously has no control over his players. I also will not include any head coach who has been coaching for less than 5 years. Saban and Meyer are the top two. i also agree with your #3 and 4, but the order can change with those two.