ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011
    ChuteBoxe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

Fedor close to signing with UFC??

Dana won't let this go, this will be huge for UFC, and he wants Fedor to own Randy, you know that...

March 8th, 2008
    Fedor Emilienko will likely become a free agent once again after choosing to pay back 1.5 million dollars to M-1 Global to leave the MMA startup. There has been much speculation as to where he'll end up but it appears that the UFC is a strong possibility.

Asked if he'd sign Fedor should he become available, UFC president Dana White responded to ESPN, "Absolutely, 100 percent, in a heartbeat. People think he's the best -- I don't, not even close. But if it's somehow possible, I would make it happen."

For there part, Fedor's management appears open to a deal with the UFC as well.

"We're open to a discussion," Apy Echteld told ESPN. "If everybody is willing to put a little wine in the water, then we have something to work with. There is space for this to happen."

Meanwhile Randy Couture continues to fight in court for his freedom from his UFC contract. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Fedor does indeed sign with the UFC. Check back for the latest as this story develops.
    March 13th, 2008
    Sources close to negotiations between the UFC and Fedor's management have informed MMAFightline.com that the two sides are currently discussing a possible one fight deal that would bring Fedor to the cage, presumably to face Randy Couture.

It is unknown whether Couture would end his lawsuit and come back to the UFC to face Fedor if the UFC were able to offer such a fight, but Couture has stated on numerous occasions that this is the only fight that makes sense at this stage of his career.

It should be noted that nothing is eminent at this point and negotiations are in the general discussion phase. If made, however, the deal would be unprecedented. The UFC is notorious for locking up fighters in long term deals and not allowing them to leave as champions. We'll have more on this story as it develops.
    http://www.mmafightline.com/news/200...o_318170.shtml

http://www.mmafightline.com/news/200...o_318666.shtml

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

It seems like Randy is the one pushing for Fedor. I'm not really sure what Randy is thinking, except maybe he thinks he's only got so many fights left in his career and he doesn't want to use them up fighting nobodys.

As for Randy's contract, I'm not really sure why he thinks he can get out. Obviously I haven't read the contract and I'm not a lawyer, but if he said he'd fight X number of fights for Y number of dollars why does he think he can welsh out? Unless his "retirement" frees him from his contract. I don't really get this contract dispute.

Randy has already walked away from the UFC twice. Amazingly he seems like a primadona when dealing with the UFC, despite his clean cut attitude and solid work ethic. It really makes me wonder about the integrity of the UFC versus the integrity of Randy Couture. One or the other is playing games, and I'm not 100% sure who it is and if not both.