fifawcs
    fifawcs's Avatar Become A Pro!

Friday Value Plays

I didn't make any plays yesterday for obvious reasons.

Tigers +140
    Pros: Galarraga has been the Tiger's best pitcher. He has quietly put together an amazing season. He will be opposing another very good pitcher in Liriano. Liriano, however, has struggled in his career versus the Tigers. In fact, they are the only team that has given him grief in his short-lived career. The Tigers also feast on lefties. While Galarraga is 0-3 this season versus the Twins, I think he will be 1-4 by the end of the night.

Cons: The Tigers have a crap bullpen and are not always playing to win.

Reds +140
    Pros: Ted Lilly has struggled in three home starts versus the Reds this season. This time around, he will be facing them at Great American Ballpark. While trading away Dunn and Griffey decreased the Red's offensive production, they still have some guys who can hit (Phillips, Encarnacion, Votto, Bruce). The Cubs will be playing on the road in this one. Arroyo actually has good home numbers and is 2-0 versus the Cubbies this year. He was great in August and will hopefully be good in September. The Reds also have a good bullpen.

Cons: The Red's offense is not as good as they used to be.

johnnymapalo
    johnnymapalo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 928

Quote Originally Posted by fifawcs View Post

Tigers +140
    Pros: Galarraga has been the Tiger's best pitcher. He has quietly put together an amazing season. He will be opposing another very good pitcher in Liriano. Liriano, however, has struggled in his career versus the Tigers. In fact, they are the only team that has given him grief in his short-lived career. The Tigers also feast on lefties. While Galarraga is 0-3 this season versus the Twins, I think he will be 1-4 by the end of the night.

Reds +140

Pros: Ted Lilly has struggled in three home starts versus the Reds this season. This time around, he will be facing them at Great American Ballpark. While trading away Dunn and Griffey decreased the Red's offensive production, they still have some guys who can hit (Phillips, Encarnacion, Votto, Bruce). The Cubs will be playing on the road in this one. Arroyo actually has good home numbers and is 2-0 versus the Cubbies this year. He was great in August and will hopefully be good in September. The Reds also have a good bullpen.

I don't know guy. The Cubs to me play better on the road than they do at home. Cubs also cover point spreads better on the road than they do at home. Cubs looking to right the ship and I believe they will sweep the Reds. Other pick, Galagara is definitely the best pitcher on the Tigers but Minny owns him and I don't like playing the Tigers on the 1st game of any series. They always play weak in 1st game of series. Good luck though. I like Houston Astros +140 as the underdog today..

fifawcs

The Cubs haven't been playing well. Neither have the Reds. so that could mean that they are either due to win or will continue losing. Lilly's numbers aren't that great against the Reds and Arroyo has been awesome lately. I hate putting money on the Tigers, but they aren't such a bad team when they are the underdog. Liriano is definitely due to get lit up and I think this is the game. Liriano's pitching motion is similar to Oliver Perez and Johan Santana's. They come in from extreme left side of the mound angles. Versus righties, he has a .238 BAA, which is good. But his BAA versus lefties is significantly better at .213. The Tiger lineup is saturated with power hitting righties like Sheffield, Thames, Cabrera. Mags is also really good. The biggest con is their pen and the fact that they don't try all the time.

ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!

liriano is awesome
    twins dont lose at home
    tigers mailed it in

not a good idea

ICE-BLOOD
    ICE-BLOOD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7932

Quote Originally Posted by ryanXL977 View Post
    liriano is awesome
    twins dont lose at home
    tigers mailed it in

not a good idea
    liriano really pitching well
    tough to go against him
    also, +140 doesn't seem like enuff

fifawcs

Liriano is awesome. But awesome pitchers don't win every game. Galarraga is equally as good in terms of ERA this year. Also, look at Liriano's '06 numbers. I believe the Tigers were the only team he had trouble against that year. He had good numbers versus every other team. And if you think about it, it makes sense. The Tigers are a primarily righty team. Granderson is the only lefty I can think of. There are a few switch hitters as well.

If you think about the Tiger's offense now as compared to '06, I would say it's pretty similar/slightly better. +140 is a good line.

johnnymapalo

Liriano is awesome. But awesome pitchers don't win every game. Galarraga is equally as good in terms of ERA this year. Also, look at Liriano's '06 numbers. I believe the Tigers were the only team he had trouble against that year. He had good numbers versus every other team. And if you think about it, it makes sense. The Tigers are a primarily righty team. Granderson is the only lefty I can think of. There are a few switch hitters as well.

If you think about the Tiger's offense now as compared to '06, I would say it's pretty similar/slightly better. +140 is a good line.
    I don't know man, I still think you should go with Houston +140. Maybe you win, maybe I win. We'll see tonight..

fifawcs

I don't bet against Jimenez. The guy is a stud at home. The Rockies are a great home team.

johnnymapalo

I don't bet against Jimenez. The guy is a stud at home. The Rockies are a great home team.
    to me, the Rockies are better on the road than at home. At home, they look like they play less defense but who am I to judge. I think Jimi is a bust right now. We'll see who provails tonight..

ICE-BLOOD
    ICE-BLOOD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7932

good points.
    when i think about it galarraga at home +140 seems ok.
    Both realky good starters

under 8 1/2 is my play on this game

ryanXL977

era isnt the best measurement, but you should use lirianos era since he came back from the minors, not the whole year

twinsare a better team, by a mile

Kingctb27
    Kingctb27's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wouldn't be betting against the Cubs against the Reds. A Value is getting the Cubs at -150 IMO.

fifawcs

Ok. But you realize you are laying -150 on a team that has struggled recently and versus Arroyo. They are also on the road.

ryanXL977

i like cincy
    i dont like det

txsholdempro
    txsholdempro's Avatar Become A Pro!

fifa u also relaize that the red have 0 to play for the cubs still have something to play for, a better coach will guess these guys moving, i like the cubs

ryanXL977

cubs just about lost all 4 to the phils, got swept at home by houston

they can have something to play for, that doesnt mean they will win though
    every team wants to win, these are pros

patriots had something to play for and lost, thats a point people bring up and thats why the cubs are -150 on the road when they should not be

fifawcs

Listen Ry, i don't want to offend you or anything, but you are acting like a homer. Liriano is good, but how can you expect him to win every single game? Explain how he wasn't great versus the Tigers but was good against every other team back in '06? He was a better pitcher in '06 as well.

ryanXL977

i am from texas, thats my team. my next fave team is the phils. i didnt pick the twins in either of the last 2 at tor, this game is different. you are taking a horrible team, on the road, vs a top 3 home team in baseball. its illogical

of coruse liriano wont win them all,

the tigers went to the series in 06, this team doesnt resemble that team at all

you think a stat from 2006 has anything to do with a game today?

thats pretty thin dude!

fifawcs

TXS, that argument doesn't work as much in professional sports because there is another motivation known as money. These players are under contract to play and if they play well, they can make more money. There is always a reason to win. And a young team like the Reds is going to play to win since some of the guys know they could be demoted at any time. Besides, younger players actually like playing the game.

ryanXL977

seriously dude, it has nothing to do with me liking the twins at all
    if you are betting against a team bc of a stat from 2 years ago, when the team was good, you are really stretching and it will cost you

twins win today

i will say it now

LOCK

ryanXL977

liriano has allowed like a 1.2 era and hasnt lost since he came back from the minors
    he is at home, the tigers suck

thats just not value
    im begging you not to take the tigers, it makes no sense dude

a homer is someone who thinks their team will make the loffs no matter how shitty they play
    i am not sure twins make the loffs

i am sure the yanks dont though!!!

sidney
    rasner

check
    mate!

fifawcs

i am from texas, thats my team. my next fave team is the phils. i didnt pick the twins in either of the last 2 at tor, this game is different. you are taking a horrible team, on the road, vs a top 3 home team in baseball. its illogical

of coruse liriano wont win them all,

the tigers went to the series in 06, this team doesnt resemble that team at all

you think a stat from 2006 has anything to do with a game today?

thats pretty thin dude!
    The only thing the '06 team had that this team doesn't is pitching. Other than that, they are basically the same. Since we are talking about Liriano's success against the Tigers, we will be referring to the Tiger offense's success in matchups with Liriano. The Detroit pitcher today has been very good. He is the only guy on their team who can currently pitch a game without giving up 5 runs.

Btw, Minnesota is the #5 home team.

ryanXL977

you are throwing money into the garbage
    take az, take phils, take some team that actually is good and a dog

taking a horrible team vs a top team bc they are plus money isnt value

but its your cash
    thats one bet i am sure you arent gonna win amigo!

fifawcs

The Tigers aren't good, but they have a good offense and a good starter on the mound.

ryanXL977

well i like debating you and we will see my friend

good luck to us both

but i will bring this up later when he shuts those shitty tigers down

they have mailed it in and you KNOW THIS FIFA!!!

fifawcs

If I knew it, why would I bet it?

ryanXL977

dude, you know they have mailed it in
    you post it everyday
    you bet against det all the time
    last week i won huge with cleve vs det
    so did you

carmona

dont bet twins
    so many great games today with good solid dogs

az
    phils
    tex
    flor
    hous
    laa

not a bad dog like det

gl

fifawcs

I thought u meant that the Twins were a sure winner. Yeah, I know the Tigers don't really try as much. But something tells me this game will be different. This is one of their biggest rivals, so who knows.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19684

Tigers +140

Reds +140

Tigers are done! Minnesota is happy as hell to be home. Twinkies exploit Tigers.
    Reds? I guess I can see that. I got the reds getting a run.

ryanXL977

I thought u meant that the Twins were a sure winner. Yeah, I know the Tigers don't really try as much. But something tells me this game will be different. This is one of their biggest rivals, so who knows.
    twins are a sure winner
    i may have mistyped

gl to us both
    go reds

darrell74

dude, you know they have mailed it in
    you post it everyday
    you bet against det all the time
    last week i won huge with cleve vs det
    so did you

carmona

dont bet twins
    so many great games today with good solid dogs

az
    phils
    tex
    flor
    hous
    laa

not a bad dog like det

gl
    Good selection of dogs. Come to think of it, I might get a twinky run line.
    Houston looks good, winning 5 straight.
    Nolasco has made me a bunch of cash, in the past.
    LAA has plenty in the tank, after whipping kittens.

ryanXL977

one last point
    whats gallaraggas record vs minne lifetime

since you guys love using those types of stats

love
    ryan!

Wilforth
    Update your status
    Wilforth's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingctb27 View Post
    Wouldn't be betting against the Cubs against the Reds. A Value is getting the Cubs at -150 IMO.
    Lilly is 0-4 against the Reds!

darrell74

one last point
    whats gallaraggas record vs minne lifetime

since you guys love using those types of stats

love
    ryan!
    Dead on! Gallarga is 0-3 in 4 starts, versus Twinkies.

fifawcs

Yes. I am was aware of that at the time that I placed the bet. But if you look at his ERA versus the Twins this year, it isn't awful. So that means he didn't get much offensive support in his starts. However, I believe the Tigers will hit Liriano hard. That is my feeling about today.

12 Last