curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why is 4.5 game ERA so magical in terms of W/L?

I had a bad beat the other day where a pitcher had great stats the last 3 games and then got blown out by the 2nd inning. So, I started looking more closely into the pitcher's record and he had very few starts that left his team in a position to win the game, so the record over the last 3 games was an anomaly.

I added another dimension to my capping to keep that from happening again. I list the # of Games Started, the number of Good Starts, and the number of Bad Starts. While researching what might be a "Good" start, I looked at the Quality Start stat that some like to use. They use a game ERA of 4.5. I don't like the way they do that stat, but I wanted to look into this ERA of 4.5 because I thought "why 4.5? why not 2 or 8 or 3 or 6"?

I started running queries that show what a team does when a starting pitcher has a game ERA above or below 4.5. The results are pretty astonishing. The records aren't even close.

If the game ERA is <= 4.5 pretty much the team wins the game. The % varies by pitcher and team but it is between 70% and 90%.

If the game ERA is > 4.5 then pretty much the team loses the game. The % again varies by team and pitcher but it is again between 70% and 90%.

I find this extremely intriguing that there is a number at which above and below the Win/Loss result is so drastically opposite.

homerbush
    homerbush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3780

Keep in mind that Quality start does not equal 4.50 ERA exactly. Example, 8 innings of 4 Earned Run ball would be an ERA of 4.50 but it does not qualify as a Quality Start. So keep in mind that ERA of 4.50 or lower does not always equal a quality start when looking at quality starts.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

By "game ERA is <= 4.5", you mean the pitcher's game ERA and not the ERA of the entire team, right?

curious

Quote Originally Posted by homerbush View Post
    Keep in mind that Quality start does not equal 4.50 ERA exactly. Example, 8 innings of 4 Earned Run ball would be an ERA of 4.50 but it does not qualify as a Quality Start. So keep in mind that ERA of 4.50 or lower does not always equal a quality start when looking at quality starts.
    Quality start is defined as 6 or more runs with 3 or less runs allowed. I took 3 runs in 6 innings to equal 4.5 ERA. Yes, I know that most games are not 4.5, most games either go more innings or have less runs scored.

but, I had to start somewhere.

And in the way I did it, I said a good start was starter runs / starter innings pitched less than or equal to .5. And a bad start is starter runs / starter innings pitched is greater than .5. Most of the games are more or less than 4.5 ERA.

In the stats that I ran 4.5 is definitely a dividing line. I can see why they use the 6 innings and 3 runs in their formula.

curious

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    By "game ERA is <= 4.5", you mean the pitcher's game ERA and not the ERA of the entire team, right?
    yes, i use starter runs * 9 / starter innings pitched <= 4.5.

Bullpen runs is a whole different can of worms. But there is definitely a correlation that the team will win the game if the starter leaves the game with having given up fewer runs than a 4.5 ERA for the number of innings pitched. Regardless of what quality their bullpen is. Weird, I know.

curious

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    Quality start is defined as 6 or more runs with 3 or less runs allowed. I took 3 runs in 6 innings to equal 4.5 ERA. Yes, I know that most games are not 4.5, most games either go more innings or have less runs scored.

but, I had to start somewhere.

And in the way I did it, I said a good start was starter runs / starter innings pitched less than or equal to .5. And a bad start is starter runs / starter innings pitched is greater than .5. Most of the games are more or less than 4.5 ERA.

In the stats that I ran 4.5 is definitely a dividing line. I can see why they use the 6 innings and 3 runs in their formula.
    This should say 6 or more innings ith 3 or less runs allowed. I wish Willee Bee would get off his ****ing high horse and give me my ****ing edit button back.

curious

Quote Originally Posted by homerbush View Post
    Sorry I didn't explain this right. I don't use he quality start stats. I just looked at their formula and used the 4.5 ERA in the formula I use.

I run my own queries to find what I call good starts and bad starts.

A good start is given by the query: starter runs*9/starter innings pitched <=4.5

A bad start is given by the query: starter runs*9/starter innings pitched >4.5

If I see a pitcher who has a high % of bad starts I either fade him or look at taking the over depending on the other starter, the umpire, weather, park factors, etc.

InTheHole
    InTheHole's Avatar Become A Pro!

edit

seanjohn007
    seanjohn007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

hey curious, havent seen you around in a while, how you been. its kinda funny to hear oyu say that because recently i started looking at pitching eras a little more. granted i dont have the computer programs you do, so i cant get the numbers you do. but i found that using a middle line of 4.4-4.6 (era: as long as one pitcher is above and one pitcher is below) so once i see that, i then look at of they have a difference of >.5 era. i then take the better pitcher and it seems to work pretty well. its not the only thing i use, but it gives me a good idea of who has a big pitching advantage. anyways, gl with everything curious. hope to see you around soon