Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

This could end the Twins' hopes in a hurry!!!

Liriano is likely headed to the DL!
    Not that I think they have a chance anyway but this could really kill their hopes...
    Tough brake for the kid, he can pitch, but I think this will also blow his Cy Young run...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2543069

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i was just now reading that article. maybe they will finally bring up matt garza, and not miss a beat while linirano is on the DL.

heres the article from Bulldog's thread:

Francisco Liriano was on the verge of tears after Monday night's game against the Tigers. However, it's the Twins who might be crying hardest with one of their aces looking at a likely trip to the disabled list.

Francisco Liriano
    Starting Pitcher
    Minnesota Twins

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM W L BB K ERA
    27 12 3 32 142 2.19

The Tigers roughed up Liriano in a 9-3 rout Monday, and after the game, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire announced that the left-hander is still suffering from soreness in his throwing forearm.

Reports out of Minnesota say that the 22-year-old Cy Young candidate is out indefinitely with a left elbow injury. However, manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters after Monday night's game that Liriano's problems appeared to be muscular in nature.

"It's a muscular problem -- as the game was going on, he started to feel it," Gardenhire said. "We had him checked out before, and everything was fine, but we'll have him checked out again. It's muscles, not his elbow."

After facing the Tigers on July 28, Liriano (12-3) missed his next start because of inflammation in the forearm. The rest did not seem to help, as he gave up four runs and a season-high 10 hits in just four innings. He struck out five.

"It started bothering me in the second inning," said Liriano, who was taken out after four innings. "It really bothered me. I couldn't throw fastball, changeup, slider or anything."

When asked if he was worried about his status, Liriano answered yes, "because it's getting worse."

Gardenhire said Liriano would be evaluated again when the Twins return from their road trip on Wednesday.

Twins pitcher Carlos Silva spoke to Liriano after the game and told him not to try to be a "hero" and pitch through pain.

"He needs to be a hero for a long time -- not a hero for just one year," Silva told reporters, according to the Pioneer Press.

"If you're going to lose him, it's better to lose him for two weeks than for his future," Silva said, according to the Star Tribune.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Should the Twins have even started him the other day? I know he said he felt better before the start, but I think the Twins should have held him back.

bigboydan

the twins won't miss a beat IMO

this kid matt garza is the real deal the twins just brought up to replace Liriano. garza has just dominated both A ball and triple A ball this year.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    the twins won't miss a beat IMO

this kid matt garza is the real deal the twins just brought up to replace Liriano. garza has just dominated both A ball and triple A ball this year.
    Liriano was a stud who was being talked about for the Cy Young award and you think some kid from the minors is gonna replace his dominance. Are you kidding me?

bigboydan

go checkout this guys numbers and you will see why i said what i said.

Illusion

Those numbers won't mean shit if he can't prove it in the big show. It's whole different ballgame in the the majors.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    Those numbers won't mean shit if he can't prove it in the big show. It's whole different ballgame in the the majors.
    very true... but he could also be the next jerard weaver too.