Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

MARTY ST. LOUIS a favorite to make NHL HOF?

???????????

Fishhead

Small favorite.......I think.

TOUGH CALL

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Abso-freakin-lutely-not.......there is no room for St. Louis in the Hall. Nice little career, but certainly not Hall worthy!

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Abso-freakin-lutely-not.......there is no room for St. Louis in the Hall. Nice little career, but certainly not Hall worthy!
    That reasoning is a tad harsh...........

My friend from a popular NHL forum had a good write-up on this subject.......................

I think he's a lot closer than you might think. He's a guy who, much like former teammate Dan Boyle, could be playing at a very high level until he's close to 40. I wouldn't be surprised if Marty St. Louis is still at, or close to, a point-per-game at age 38, 39 or even 40. He took the college route as opposed to major junior, and he didn't become an NHL regular until he was 25, so what I call his "hockey age" is lower than his actual age. He's had just the one lengthy playoff run, and just the one serious injury (a broken leg that curtailed his breakthrough year in 2001-02). Some guys are 30 going on 35; St. Louis is 35 going on 30.

I've been saying it for the last couple of seasons: he's the best playmaking winger in the game. Reality is that he's held that title for a lot longer than a couple of seasons. Starting with 2003-04, he's been No. 1 in assists among wingers three times, and second once. (There's a tie somewhere in there). He'll probably be top three in winger assists this season, too. Granted, most of the guys on the HHOF committee don't give a damn about that; they want to know how well he played, how valuable he was to his team. That's what happens when you get executives, coaches, players and on-ice officials on the HHOF committee. St. Louis himself couldn't tell you how many times he's been top three among wingers in assists, or how many times he's been top 10 or top 20 in scoring. He wouldn't give a damn about that, either, unless his agent brought it up at contract negotiation time.

But everyone in hockey has seen what Marty St. Louis has done with Steven Stamkos. That's not to say that Stamkos is a product of St. Louis; that would be erroneous and a slap in the face to a wonderfully talented player like Stamkos. But it has been a mutually beneficial on-ice relationship. They found instant chemistry. Over the last one-and-three quarter seasons, Stamkos has 89 goals.

St. Louis is one of the top offensive weapons in the game. He's become a real pass-first guy since being partnered with Stamkos. But if anything ever happened to Stamkos, and they needed St. Louis to focus on goal-scoring, St. Louis would re-establish himself as one of the top goal-scorers in the game. His speed, his creativity, his flair, his ability to overwhelm an opponent with goal-scoring or playmaking – they're all elite. The only thing he lacks is size. He's five-foot-exaggerated. (He's probably five-foot-six). He's effective on the backcheck. He's an effective penalty killer and dangerous on the backcheck.

He's a borderline guy right now. A couple more elite seasons probably get him in. If he hits 1,000 points, he gets in. It wouldn't surprise me to see both 1,000 points, and a couple of elite seasons. You talk to executives, coaches, players, and ask them: if you could have a guy who is, year-in and year-out, among the best playmaking wingers in the game, who can burn an opponent as a goal-scorer, make those around him better, and provide more than just offence, would you take him? Everyone would say yes.

forsberg21
    forsberg21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2601

Where did you hear this Fishhead? Or is this your own personal theory?

Regul8er
    Wordd

1,000 points isn't like 500HR's in baseball.....doesnt lock you in.
    I dont have numbers infront of me, but I would think there are lots of players who have reached that plateau, and havent been inducted.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

He will be in. He's still one of the most underrated players in the game. The mother fcuker is 5'8, 175 and he's only missed 2 games in the last 7 seasons plus continues to kill it year in and year out. He's won a cup and a gold medal as well. He also has one of the biggest hearts in the game. If he doesn't make it I'd be shocked.
    Last edited by DennisGreen; 02-25-11 at 08:33 PM.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
    Where did you hear this Fishhead? Or is this your own personal theory?

HUH?

I just posed the question..............

Personally, I think he is has a slightly less than 50-50 chance as things stand right now.

Pulling for him, class guy and hard worker.

A couple more similar years like this season and to me he will definetly be a favorite to make it.

STANLEY CUP WINNER
    ART ROSS WINNER
    LADY BYNG WINNER
    HART TROPHY WINNER
    6-TIME ALLSTAR
    Last edited by Fishhead; 02-25-11 at 08:35 PM.

coutman
    coutman's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think yesssss

Regul8er
    Wordd

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    He will be in. He's still one of the most underrated players in the game. The mother fcuker is 5'8, 175 and he's only missed 2 games in the last 7 seasons plus continues to kill it year in and year out. He's won a cup and a gold medal as well. He also has one of the biggest hearts in the game. If he doesn't make it I'd be shocked.
    Theo Fluery was smaller, tallied 1,088 points with both a cup and a gold medal, and never got in. St. Louis is still about 350 points from reaching that mark. Im just saying he's got a LONG way to go.

dbnmln
    dbnmln's Avatar Become A Pro!

St. Louie should get in.....class act on the ice and off as well.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Theo Fluery was smaller, tallied 1,088 points with both a cup and a gold medal, and never got in. St. Louis is still about 350 points from reaching that mark. Im just saying he's got a LONG way to go.
    True but Theo Fleury was also a degenerate gambler and an alcoholic that's why he's not in there

Fishhead

Fleury doesn't have a HART TROPHY in his resume either...............

Did he ever win the Stanley Cup, don't believe so.

MARTY is currently only 35 year of age...... and one has to figure he will play 3-5 more years.

TOUGH CALL...........close to 50-50 on makin the HOF in my estimation.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Fluery won a Stanley Cup in his rookie season with the Flames. He contributed 11 points in the Cup run!

Cant assume a guy will play at a high level until there 40.....those are a dime a dozen. Not saying Martin can't, but this game can catch up to you quicker then you think.

A great player, I wont doubt that, but I just dont see his jersey hanging in the Hall.

Regul8er
    Wordd

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    True but Theo Fleury was also a degenerate gambler and an alcoholic that's why he's not in there
    HAHA.....Fluery is in rough shape, but was a joy to watch in his hayday!

Fishhead

MARTY is currently 4th in the NHL in points........impressive.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Yes he is a stud. Always has been.

TrapperDapper
    TrapperDapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4763

Fluery won a Stanley Cup in his rookie season with the Flames. He contributed 11 points in the Cup run!

Cant assume a guy will play at a high level until there 40.....those are a dime a dozen. Not saying Martin can't, but this game can catch up to you quicker then you think.

A great player, I wont doubt that, but I just dont see his jersey hanging in the Hall.
    They're*

R6MC
    R6MC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24711

Marty ******* St. Louis

what don't you get

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38709

who is this guy?

LUSabres
    Get off me child's play
    LUSabres's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can't see it happening, doesn't have enough to offer.

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Imet Marty a couple of times , class act

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

You may want to check your understanding of that expression.

LUSabres
    Get off me child's play
    LUSabres's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dwaechte View Post
    You may want to check your understanding of that expression.
    lol. Backwards.

easywinner
    easywinner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 152

Good question. Will be interesting to see how it works out. He's a fun player to watch for sure and will have to keep playing at a high level to make it.

Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9461

Not even a prayer right now..he only has 1 cup and he's not even close to a 1 pt a game avg. he'd need to win 2 more stanley cups OR have 5 more 100 pt seasons to have any chance at all.

Jimmy0607
    Jimmy0607's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 285

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
    Not even a prayer right now..he only has 1 cup and he's not even close to a 1 pt a game avg. he'd need to win 2 more stanley cups OR have 5 more 100 pt seasons to have any chance at all.
    Thats how much you know about hockey Nicky