PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Kaberle deadline day

less than 12 hrs to go.

whiteout2713
    whiteout2713's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think this kaberle saga is quietly getting old. the last three years hes been the talk at the trade deadline and during the summer and nothing ever happens to him. he just stays put. i would to see him get moved cause hes wasting away in the dulldrums of toronto

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

Into the final hour and he's still not traded yet!

Quote Originally Posted by whiteout2713 View Post
    i think this kaberle saga is quietly getting old. the last three years hes been the talk at the trade deadline and during the summer and nothing ever happens to him. he just stays put. i would to see him get moved cause hes wasting away in the dulldrums of toronto
    Yeah, Toronto must be a terrible place to play, that's why he wouldn't waive his NTC. I'm sure it would be much more fun playing in a hockey mecca like Tampa Bay or Columbus!

Types
    Jugs this BIG
    Types's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

agreed

ochenta y cinco
    ochenta y cinco's Avatar Become A Pro!

I never understood why Brian Burke wanted to trade Kaberle so badly in the first place. The guy's a seasoned vet, a leader by example, a pretty decent bargain with a 4.25 caphit, and a lock for 50-55 pts in any given season as one of the better PP Quarterbacks you'll find in the Eastern Conference.

It's no secret to anyone that the Leafs want to improve their top two lines offensive lines by making Kaberle available, but there are so many others assets they could package in order to acquire this top-6 presence up front. Why wouldn't you consider moving a guy like Beauchemin, Komisarek or Gunarsson before trading away the guy who runs your PP night in and night out? Those guys are much more expandable.

OTOH, if a trade does take place - and it does seems more and more unlikely now, because it made more sense for Burke to make a deal at the Entry Draft or in early July - , could Phaneuf handle the PP QB duties by himself if given Kaberle's role? I happen to think Phaneuf doesn't have enough offensive flair, besides his wicked slapshot, to make him a go-to-guy on Toronto's #1 PP unit. Maybe Phaneuf will prove me wrong, but I just think the guy's not worth 6.5m per year for what he brings to the table.

Still, this top-6 shapes up pretty well for the Leafs, especially with young Luke Schenn getting more and more comfortable with his shutdown role.

Phaneuf - Beauchemin
    Kaberle - Komisarek
    Gunarsson - Schenn
    Last edited by ochenta y cinco; 08-15-10 at 11:55 PM.

diamond
    diamond's Avatar Become A Pro!

For some reason, dont know why, I always liked this player.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2129

You gotta pay to play?

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Kaberle is a good fit to the Leafs blueline and with how weak their forwards are at the moment he is a nice threat to have for the powerplay

PuckOff

Yeah Kaberle is one of the better Puck movers in the entire NHL. I think you will see Beauchemin or even Schenn gone by Nov 1. Schenn, a defensive dman will fetch a very nice return and we already have Komi and Phaneuf to throw bodies around.

Metalhead

I wouldn't be surprised if Beauchemin was traded, but I don't see Schenn going anywhere. When Schenn resigns after this season he'll be making money that is similar to Beauchemin, but he's 10 years younger. Komisarek's contract makes him virtually untradeable right now, atleast in terms of getting anything in return.

A package of Beauchemin and Gunnarson would probably get something decent from a team that needs d-men. However, Gunnarson probably wouldn't be traded unless Kaberle signed an extension. Do the Leafs want to sign their oldest player to an extension?

Types
    Jugs this BIG
    Types's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

Burke will hold onto Schenn, remember he got pissed when the Kings drafted his brother. If I remember right he was trying to trade to move up in the draft order to do this.

PuckOff

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Beauchemin was traded, but I don't see Schenn going anywhere. When Schenn resigns after this season he'll be making money that is similar to Beauchemin, but he's 10 years younger. Komisarek's contract makes him virtually untradeable right now, atleast in terms of getting anything in return.

A package of Beauchemin and Gunnarson would probably get something decent from a team that needs d-men. However, Gunnarson probably wouldn't be traded unless Kaberle signed an extension. Do the Leafs want to sign their oldest player to an extension?
    There's no way that any team will pay Luke Schenn $3.9 million /year after his current entry level deal expires. I say he will get 1.75 - 2.5 MAX and that's slightly overpaying. Remember he's a defensive dman who will not put up big numbers.

Kaberle is one of the premier puck movers in the entore NHL and is only 32. YOu can be sure that BB will attempt to extend him at a rate that works for both parties.

ochenta y cinco
    ochenta y cinco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by PuckOff View Post
    There's no way that any team will pay Luke Schenn $3.9 million /year after his current entry level deal expires. I say he will get 1.75 - 2.5 MAX and that's slightly overpaying. Remember he's a defensive dman who will not put up big numbers.

Kaberle is one of the premier puck movers in the entore NHL and is only 32. YOu can be sure that BB will attempt to extend him at a rate that works for both parties.

There is no denying of that from anyone who watches the NHL closely. Kaberle's breakout pass is amongst the best you'll find in the East and he's a also a wonderful passer on the PP. Yet according to this Damien Cox article from the Toronto Star, Kaberle is perceived within the organization as a d-man with suspect defensive skills, and a lack of determination and heart. It just seems like keeping TK, in Burkie's eyes, is a step backward in his re-shaping of the Leafs...

So basically I wouldn't be so sure that BB will even submit Kaberle an offer before he hits UFA status on July 1st, 2011. He's most likely going to prefer using cap space to sign talented offensive players, because this forward core consisting of Bozak, Kessel, Grabovski, Kulemin, Versteeg and rookie Kadri brings some HUGE question marks.

Metalhead

Well Schenn is pretty much collecting all his bonuses now, so he's already close to 2.9 million. The Leafs also gave Finger 3.5 and Komisarek 4.5 even though he has less offensive potential then Schenn. I don't think 3.6-3.8 on a long term deal is too far fetched.

whiteout2713
    whiteout2713's Avatar Become A Pro!

you mean to tell me his talents haven't been wasted in toronto the past couple of years!! nobody said teams like columbus were even interested in him. Its been teams that were stanley cup CONTENDERS! Thats my point. his talent being wasted.

pat venditto
    pat venditto's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't understand what this is boys. Help me out here.

PuckOff

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead View Post
    Well Schenn is pretty much collecting all his bonuses now, so he's already close to 2.9 million. The Leafs also gave Finger 3.5 and Komisarek 4.5 even though he has less offensive potential then Schenn. I don't think 3.6-3.8 on a long term deal is too far fetched.
    Do you have a link that shows if Schenn actually collected any bonus money and if so what bonuses he collected? I'm curious on this one as I doubt he collected any major bonus money. He didn't make the 1st, 2nd all star team. Wasn't a finalist for the Norris. Didn't score more than 10 goals. I wonder what bonus clauses were worked into his contract.

Metalhead

Do you have a link that shows if Schenn actually collected any bonus money and if so what bonuses he collected? I'm curious on this one as I doubt he collected any major bonus money. He didn't make the 1st, 2nd all star team. Wasn't a finalist for the Norris. Didn't score more than 10 goals. I wonder what bonus clauses were worked into his contract.
    You can go to capgeek or nhlnumbers and see what the contract and bonus values are. Last year Toronto had a cap hit of 61.531 million, a bonus cushion of 4.26 and long term injury replacement of 3.823. When you factor in last years cap of 56.4 million and the fact Toronto has an overage penalty this year of about 1.4 million, the numbers tell you they had to pay out pretty much all their bonuses.

I remember reading around the time they signed Bozak that one of the reasons he signed in Toronto is because they offered him the most money with easy to attain bonuses. I think it said Toronto bonuses tend to be based on games played and making the roster more than anything else.