rickbo528
    rickbo528's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1931

If Chicago wins it tonight

If Chicago is able to hoist the Cup tonight or in game 7 Friday night, the biggest goal of the playoffs will have been scored in the first round. It was game 5 in Chicago against Nashville with the series tied at 2-2. Nashville led 4-3 approaching the final minute when the Hawks pulled Niemi and while chasing a loose puck Hossa was called for a major boarding penalty negating the 6th attacker. Patrick Kane scored with 13 seconds left on what was technically a shorthanded goal to tie the game. That to me was the biggest goal scored in the playoffs. Yes Chicago had to kill off 4 minutes of being shorthanded to start overtime and Hossa did score right out of the penalty box to win the game but if Kane doesn't score and Chicago goes down 3-2 in the series I really think they would have lost game 6 in Nashville. The Predators would have been so emboldened with the game 5 win in which for the most part they outplayed Chicago, it probably would have propelled them in game 6. I also think Chicago would have been doubting themselves looking at game 6 trailing instead of leading. No way to ever know but that's why that goal by Kane will be the one that I think is the biggest goal scored for them so far.
    Points Awarded:

RiverRaid gave rickbo528 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jollyoscars
    jollyoscars's Avatar Become A Pro!

good post, i agree man. its crazy how nashville was our toughest matchup leading up to the finals. never would have guessed that!

Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2417

Can't get enough of it

rickbo528

Thanks Bob for posting that. Loved to watch it again. I'm a longtime fan going back to 1960's. It took me weeks to get over the 1971 fials with Montreal. Don't know if you can remember back that far but I remember like yesterday. Series then just like this year. Home team winning the games. Game 6 in Montreal, Hawks lead series 3-2 and up 3-2 in 3rd period. Tony Esposito allows 2 shaky goals to force game 7 in Chicago. Hawks up 2-0 midway thru 2nd period when Jaques Lemaire of Montreal fired a shot from Chicago side of the center line. Tony Esposito dropped to his knees, puck went in. I still see that shot today. Hawks lost 3-2 and lost the Cup. I hope it doesn't end this way again.

Doon88
    Doon88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

C MOON CHICAGOOOOOOOOOO..............

Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2417

Quote Originally Posted by rickbo528 View Post
    Thanks Bob for posting that. Loved to watch it again. I'm a longtime fan going back to 1960's. It took me weeks to get over the 1971 fials with Montreal. Don't know if you can remember back that far but I remember like yesterday. Series then just like this year. Home team winning the games. Game 6 in Montreal, Hawks lead series 3-2 and up 3-2 in 3rd period. Tony Esposito allows 2 shaky goals to force game 7 in Chicago. Hawks up 2-0 midway thru 2nd period when Jaques Lemaire of Montreal fired a shot from Chicago side of the center line. Tony Esposito dropped to his knees, puck went in. I still see that shot today. Hawks lost 3-2 and lost the Cup. I hope it doesn't end this way again.
    I'm just 25 years old so that's long before my time. Seems like you deserve this championship more than most fans including myself. Good luck tonight.

jtarbear
    jtarbear's Avatar Become A Pro!

Let's go hawks...whether you are an old fan or a new one, I am happy to see the team get the attention.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Disagree. Game 2 in the canucks series was just as big. The Hawks were down a game at home and down 2-0 early and Kris Versteeg scored the winner with 1:30 left. If that game goes to ot and Hawks lose they are done down 2-0 heading to Vancouver. I do think the Kane goal was huge obviously.

rickbo528

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Disagree. Game 2 in the canucks series was just as big. The Hawks were down a game at home and down 2-0 early and Kris Versteeg scored the winner with 1:30 left. If that game goes to ot and Hawks lose they are done down 2-0 heading to Vancouver. I do think the Kane goal was huge obviously.

Excellant point. Yes that was a huge goal. But Chicago had played pretty well in Vancouver. But you are right, that was a huge goal. As we start OT I'm not optomistic about the Hawks