Travis
    Travis's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quads

I play online poker at Fulltilt and with much regularity see quads. In all my live play, which is hundreds of hours, I can count the times I have seen quads on my two hands, but online, quads seem to appear at a much greater frequency. I know there is worse play and no shuffling online but can these two factors really explain the frequency online?

Scratch
    Update your status
    Scratch's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7460

I think the worse play can be a factor. Better players are able to lay down pocket pairs easier than inexperienced players. It seems fewer hands in live play go all the way to the river. Consider how many of these hands get folded before the opportunity to catch quads even arises. Also, the fear of playing with virtual cards raises suspicions of cheating on the software end of things, so bad beats online stick in people's minds more than shuffled and pitched hands do.

rugbybdyb
    rugbybdyb's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have seen three royal flushes in my life in live poker as opposed to online where I have seen at least ten, if you are playing online I guess you just have to get used to it.

THE_JONES
    THE_JONES's Avatar Become A Pro!

Online you have bad players who want lay down low pockets and get lucky and catch the quads on the river. Ive seen people with pocket ducks three overs on the flop someone bets in to them they call and catch runners.

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

What limits are you playing?

I am guessing that playing freerolls and lower limit games will produce a ton of unusual results because of the rate of play and less players willing to fold and chase to the river.

rugbybdyb

I dont care what the limits are online people just dont play as tight because they dont have chips or "real" money changing hands.....It really is good for the accomplished players to have people playing like this but it can also get you into a heap of trouble if you look at the board and there are more than three possible hands that can beat yours online chances are that they have it, especially if you started off way ahead pre and post flop. If the two cards that come of the river dont help you but could have helped a crappy hand be made in my experience chances are they made their hand.

Poker_Beast
    Poker_Beast's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18131

I think that online poker is fixed!!!!!

rugbybdyb

I dont know if its fixed, oh what am I talking about I think it is fixed a little, and there is no real way to tell what they are doing on the other end

GuidosPick
    GuidosPick's Avatar Become A Pro!

also think about how many more hands you see online. you're not waiting for people to throw chips in and move chips and stack chips. it's all automatic and goes much faster

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2129

Imagine if some of the players you play against aren't humans? They're bots working for the site, hitting it big

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

the truth is you see alot more hands online then live... if you are multitabling you see even more hands... Get pokertracker and log your results and then compare it to the expected math... anyone with a significant sample size can tell you that distrubution is where it should be...

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rugbybdyb View Post
    I dont care what the limits are online people just dont play as tight because they dont have chips or "real" money changing hands.....It really is good for the accomplished players to have people playing like this but it can also get you into a heap of trouble if you look at the board and there are more than three possible hands that can beat yours online chances are that they have it, especially if you started off way ahead pre and post flop. If the two cards that come of the river dont help you but could have helped a crappy hand be made in my experience chances are they made their hand.
    True. People go online to get a rush of chasing cards and without chips in front of them, online poker is more of a video game.

I also think that you do see far more hands on-line versus live.

Anyone make a count or sample of the averages of number of hands per hour - live versus on-line?

Do the percentages make sense?
    Last edited by jon13009; 01-29-08 at 10:59 AM.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

There are more than twice as many hands dealt per hour.

Bottom line it is no way like live poker. Too many quality hands and way to many people with quality hands.