Originally posted on 08/17/2021:

Dude I hear ya. I can't even tell you how many things I have been addicted to in my life. I smoked two packs a day for about 10 years. My wife would always want to smoke like 2 cigs when we went out. I would almost always smoke until the pack was gone and she just couldn't understand it. Same with booze. I have friends that have full bars, never get drunk, always have the ingredients for whatever cocktail you want...not me, that shit was gone as fast as I could suck it down.

Addiction comes in all forms including eating, nicotine, coffee, drugs, shopping, booze, gambling, the internet...the list goes on. These activities trigger our brains to produce dopamine which makes us feel good. The problem with that is it takes more and more of these activities to produce the high. Addictions are progressive which is why you can't just bet 20 bucks and get that feeling when you win or sweat a close game.

Here's a good blog post that descries it in a more clinical way https://www.algamus.org/blog/role-of...ing-withdrawal

CBT can help you recognize triggers and give you tools for coping when you feel like placing a bet or eating a massive meal.

You might also want to look into herbal mood enhancers like 5 HTP. I am not a doctor but based on your comments I would bet (kidding) that you're clinically depressed. If you don't find joy in life, it's hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I've been there. It sucks.

Hope things get better for you. There's no shame in seeking help. PM me any time if you have any questions about my experience or just want to chat.