Originally posted on 04/09/2019:

Let me tell you a brief story Joe...

Several years ago, age 21 or 22, was in a 2/5 game at Parx NLHE. Had run $600 up to $2000. Got it all in against a guy who had me covered on turn... was holding AJ on a AJ2J board. Said sorry man I have you since he did not raise preflop on button he def did not have aces.

He flips over 22 and river comes the final 2. I'm stunned. I take a walk, I don't curse at him, I don't complain. I take a walk. Poker is one long game, one long session. After a 20 min walk and some food, I rebuy for 800. I turn that 800 into 4800 over the next 6 hours playing sound poker. One of my best sessions ever. I got rid of that bad beat in my head.

I have lost 3 of 4 of the biggest cash pots I've been involved in. 13k, 8k, 6k. Each time was ahead. I never complained besides a sigh and clearly unhappy but never voiced that. That's poker. If someone makes a bad call in the long run, you WILL appreciate those bad calls and take their money. You want people to make bad calls. Heck to occasionally win too so they come back.

If you let every bad beat get to you, you will never play well. You will convince yourself you're unlucky, tilt, or just start playing bad. Variance happens. Learn to handle it internally. Heck, look into meditation. I have heard it helps.

Now with that, I will show myself out. Apologies for "another bad beat story" but thought it might help. Joe say less and instead use that frustration on something beneficial like go for a run after a tough beat or lift some weights.