FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The Colts, favored to win their second Super Bowl since moving to Indianapolis from Baltimore in 1984 and third overall, have been among the best offenses in football over the past decade. But this week, it's their defense that has come into question.
The Colts practiced for the first time Wednesday since they arrived in South Florida and two starters on their defense did not participate.
The injury that has drawn the most attention is defensive end Dwight Freeney's severe right ankle sprain. He was nowhere to be found at the Colts' first practice.
Also missing from practice was starting cornerback Jerraud Powers, a rookie who missed the AFC championship game with a foot injury.

Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney continued to rest his Grade III sprained right ankle and rookie cornerback Jerraud Powers did the same with his left foot injury as neither practiced Wednesday afternoon in the Indianapolis Colts' first South Florida workout in preparation for Super Bowl XLIV.
Freeney remained optimistic but uncertain about his status for Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints, while Powers has assured he'll be ready. They were the only Colts who sat out.
Freeney propped up his ankle on a chair during morning interviews and when asked how it felt said, "A lot better than (Tuesday)."
When pressed if he was more optimistic about playing with the injury he sustained near the end of the AFC Championship Game, he said, "It's hard to project right now. It's still early. I've had Fridays where I was like, 'I don't know if I can do it.' Then, all of a sudden, things work out well."
The franchise's all-time sack leader has said he expects to test the ankle Saturday, which implies he won't practice with the team the next two days. Powers, who injured his foot in the AFC divisional victory over Baltimore but finished the game with a clinching interception, estimated his foot at 90 percent Tuesday."