JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4003

Santorum believes in Faith and Reason

So... I was watching the Florida Republican Debate and the question was asked "How would your Religion affect your Presidency?" or something like that. And Rick Santorum said "I believe in Faith and Reason." He said some other stuff too but I found this statement perplexing. It made me wonder... if you are guided by Faith... why do you need Reason? Or... if you are guided by Reason... why do you need Faith? I find it very intriguing. More than likely he was just trying to get some votes but it seemed sort of odd to me. There might be a logical explanation for believing in both but it's sort of hard for me to fathom.

Let me give an example... Santorum is guided by Faith and he believes in Virgin Births and Talking Snakes and the Earth is approximately 6,000 years old. Yet, he also says he believes in Reason which would make him a complete moron for the first belief. Am I the only one that found his statement to be contradictory?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2560

too broad, subjective, and relative to answer in this example

need to operationally define what his "faith" is internally..(which is impoossible) and then define for our purposes, what "reason" actually means?

make it simple.

Lets start with this. Do you believe in and have faith in "cold"? if you hear it is gonna be 5 degrees outside, what would you reasonably wear if you went outside?

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Do you believe in and have faith in "cold"? if you hear it is gonna be 5 degrees outside, what would you reasonably wear if you went outside?
    I usually use a thermometer. My only faith is that the thermometer has always been accurate in the past so I trust that it is currently accurate as well. OR, I listen to a weatherman that has been fairly accurate in the past. OR, I step outside myself and use my own Reason to decide that is is cold outside. When it comes to cold weather(I grew up in Minnesota btw) I don't need much faith to make my decision on what to wear. If the Pope(or Jesus himself... I know some people claim to talk to Jesus. I've never been fortunate enough to talk to him) told me it was going to be 95 and sunny in Minnesota on January 27th I would likely not believe it since it has never been 95 and sunny in January in Minnesota since they have been keeping temperature records. Long story short... Faith would have virtually no influence on my decision on what to wear.

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

He means he believes in faith (either because he has brain washed since birth and is scared to challange it, or he is scared of ceasing to exsist after death) but he has enough reason to know religion is full of unbelievable shit, so he has to say it that way or he wont get elected

ericthegangster
    MARK IT ZERO!
    ericthegangster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Santorum is a nutjob. He stands no chance.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2560

No such thing as cold..... It's a term to describe the absence of heat...all the way down to zero kelvin. About 273 Celsius. We still have faith in the semantically challenged operational definition though now that we defined them. You read that it is 0 on that thermometer and put your coat on due to the absence of heat. So now that we know how to break it down. Which idea that you assume Rick is faithful to, do you worry about specifically in terms of reason.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

No such thing as cold..... It's a term to describe the absence of heat...all the way down to zero kelvin. About 273 Celsius. We still have faith in the semantically challenged operational definition though now that we defined them. You read that it is 0 on that thermometer and put your coat on due to the absence of heat. So now that we know how to break it down. Which idea that you assume Rick is faithful to, do you worry about specifically in terms of reason.
    Children of rape victims are "gifts of God."

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15367

Bachman spoke to god and god told her that she would win. All these religious freaks are full of shit and bad for the country.

JohnGalt2341

Which idea that you assume Rick is faithful to, do you worry about specifically in terms of reason.
    I've experienced "cold weather" even if it is a subjective term. If you are outside in Sub-zero temperatures with little or no clothing long enough you will eventually die. That's a fact.

Here are some things that I personally DO NOT have Faith in: Virgin Births, Talking Snakes, Anyone walking on water(unless it is frozen of course), anyone turning water into wine, anyone returning from the dead after they've been dead for several days, people getting turned into pillars of salt, etc etc... basically... anything in the Bible or any other book the defies the laws of nature. Rick Santorum has "faith" in these things. I do not. Do you see the difference?

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3828

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    Children of rape victims are "gifts of God."
    and you think they belong in trash bags.
    how thoughtful.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3828

Galt, all Christians and Muslims believe in the Virgin birth of J.C.
    that's over half of the Earth's population.
    http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    and you think they belong in trash bags.
    how thoughtful.
    Yep. Right along with the rapist.

Very thoughtful that a woman should have to not only live with the trauma of being raped but a CONSTANT reminder of it the rest of her life every time she looks at the kid.

Thank you, Jesus. LOL. Religious people are insane.
    Last edited by MonkeyF0cker; 01-27-12 at 04:25 PM.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Galt, all Christians and Muslims believe in the Virgin birth of J.C.
    that's over half of the Earth's population.
    http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html
    300 years ago, 99.99999999999999999999999% of people thought the Earth was flat. That means a lot.

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    300 years ago, 99.99999999999999999999999% of people thought the Earth was flat. That means a lot.
    While your example is not true your point is valid.

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

too broad, subjective, and relative to answer in this example

need to operationally define what his "faith" is internally..(which is impoossible) and then define for our purposes, what "reason" actually means?

make it simple.

Lets start with this. Do you believe in and have faith in "cold"? if you hear it is gonna be 5 degrees outside, what would you reasonably wear if you went outside?
    faith can have various meanings, but we all know the context in which Santorum(a well documented religious nutjob) is speaking here. In the religious sense of the word, faith and reason is a concrete example of an oxymoron.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

"Mommy, who is my daddy?"

"Well, son. Your daddy is a stranger that kidnapped me while I was walking home one night, beat the shit out of me, tore my clothes off, and inserted his penis into me against my will."

"Thank you, Jesus."