jjwalrus
    jjwalrus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Getting to 54%

Hello.... I've got some stupid questions for you all. I've been playing around on Centsports for a couple of years now and have been experimenting with the idea of turning handicapping/betting into basically a 2nd job or some sort of nest egg. My goal is to be a grinder.... Bet 1-2% of my cash and slowly build my bankroll. This is money I don't need to touch for a long time. I bet only on underdogs and my average winning percent over the last couple of years is 51%. I assume that my 51% is mostly luck. I know that I need to get to 53-54% to break even and/or succeed. How can I get there? I want to bet mostly on Baseball and NBA because of the number of opportunities. The NFL is good but it's secondary. Just on my basic knowledge and luck I'm at 51%. How do I get there to 54%? What kind of tools should I use? What stats are important? I'm been running on basic knowledge and my gut. Not sure where to start. Is there any good software that will help? Great resources? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Depending on the dogs you bet, you could hit less than 50% and still make money.

I don't care if I hit 40%. At the end of the week, if I am +$ its all good.

jjwalrus

Thanks can't call it. I have read often that 53% is my break even point. If I bet nothing but dogs then my break even is lower, right?

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Yes, correct. The breakeven point for all -110 wagers is about 52.6% (I believe. Don't have time to run the numbers right now). Obviously, if every bet you make is an underdog, your break even point will be below .500

If you make 100 wagers for $100 and each is exactly +110, you're loss/profit will look something like this:

48 Wins @ +110 = +5,280
    52 Losses @ -100 = -5,200

Profit = $80

This is just a simple example where you'd only be hitting 48% and still making some money.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

as VI said, your standard betting line is -110, which you would have to hit 53% or better to break even, but since you bet all dogs then you wouldn't even have to do that much.

jjwalrus

thank you so much for the insight as I know that these are newbie questions. So based on the fact that I'm already hitting just over 50% betting all dogs over a long period of time .... and my goals are modest.... I'm sort of ready to get started? Maybe a modest 5Dimes account with very small bets? Ultimately I want to bet 1% of my bankroll on every single bet.... and let it compound. I'm willing to be patient and let it grow.... and as my knowledge grows hopefully my win % might go up as well. What do you think?

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

Where do you bet at now?

jjwalrus

Just been experimenting on centsports for a long time. I really am a rookie.

Igetp2s
    Igetp2s's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjwalrus View Post
    Thanks can't call it. I have read often that 53% is my break even point. If I bet nothing but dogs then my break even is lower, right?
    You want to turn this into a 2nd income, and you're not sure what you're breakeven point is? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but that is a pretty basic calculation. If you can't do that easily, you still are not close to the point you want to be at.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

Someone has posted before the % you need to hit at relative to the line value, I am sure you could find it by digging, or hopefully someone will post it here if they have it.