Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

104-Year Old Recovers From Coronavirus - Celebrates Birthday 👍

104-year-old WWII veteran recovers from COVID-19, celebrates birthday

LEBANON, Ore. (KOIN) – An Oregon man is celebrating both his 104th birthday and his recovery from the novel coronavirus.

William “Bill” Lapschies was one of the first two residents to test positive for the disease at the Edward C. Allworth Veterans’ Home. To date, 15 residents have tested positive and two have passed away, according to the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

Lapschies has been isolated in his room since first showing symptoms on March 5. Staffers have been caring for him while using personal protective equipment, including gloves, gowns, face masks and plastic face shields. As of this week, “he has met the guidelines by the CDC and Oregon Health Authority to be considered recovered from COVID-19,” according to a spokesman for the VA.

Visitors are not allowed inside the facility, per state restrictions issued in March. So Wednesday, Lapschies’ family surprised him outside the veterans’ home for a social distancing celebration.

When asked how it feels to be 104 he answered, “Pretty good. I made it.” Lapschies paused, then added, “Good for a few more.”

Carolee Brown said it was not exactly how she planned to celebrate her father’s 104th birthday.

“We celebrated his 101 and had over 200 people. So trying to keep our social distancing and do what Governor Brown has asked us to do,” she said. “But we’re so thrilled he’s recovered from this and we just had to do something for him.”

After he tested positive, Brown said her father was “very very sick.” At one point, she said they discussed with doctors the possibility he might not make it. But Lapschies was a fighter.

“It seemed like he just made this wonderful recovery,” Brown said. “We were like shocked that he was kind of sitting in his wheelchair waving at us through the window and we were like, ‘He’s gonna make it!'”

The family thinks Lapschies may be one of the oldest people to recover from coronavirus.

“Bill’s pretty resilient,” son-in-law Jim Brown said, noting that Lapschies lived through the Spanish Flu, Great Depression, and a couple recessions. He was also stationed in the Aleutian Islands during WWII.

He has two grandchildren, six great grandchildren, and five great great grandchildren. They’re looking forward to being able to take him out for a drive when the pandemic is over, so he can see the river and the mountains. They also can’t wait to hug him again.

“His smile, I wish you could have seen it, that mask covers it but his smile is absolutely contagious,” granddaughter Jamie Yutzie said.

Lapschies’ family also thanked staff at the home on Wednesday, saying they couldn’t have asked for more kindness or care for the family patriarch during this difficult time.

“We hope that this will inspire some of the other people that are going through this,” Carolee Brown said. “And we’re really excited and looking forward to 105.”

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/1...ates-birthday/

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

A story that gives us hope

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

This guy has been through it all and still tough as nails...good story

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

wish the news would show that story. feel good stories would be nice instead of doom and gloom all the time.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Badass.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

get that guy some strippers asap

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Finally a feel good story.

teecee
    teecee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2879

What a surprise! I thought approximately 80% or so of the people in his age group were supposed to survive. Maybe I'm wrong, but this should be commonplace.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I just watched a story from New Jersey where a young wife and her 30 year old husband had the virus, and the husband showed symptoms last Friday and died Monday while she turned out fine. The husband was athletic and had no health issues.

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

That's crazy. I did see a similar story as well

Kermit

This is sad.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    This is sad.

I can't believe that's real.

Even if it did really happen.

Still so hard to believe.

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    I can't believe that's real.

Even if it did really happen.

Still so hard to believe.

I am sure people would be coming forward from the school that he worked at and calling BS on it.

teecee
    teecee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2879

Story about 104 year old coronavirus survivor, hijacked by story of 30 year old that dies from it. Par for the course.

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    Story about 104 year old coronavirus survivor, hijacked by story of 30 year old that dies from it. Par for the course.
    Just trying to bring in some perspective on how this is affecting different people. The rare case of an older person surviving versus the rare case of a young person dying.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I am sure people would be coming forward from the school that he worked at and calling BS on it.
    I'm not saying its fake news.

It just doesn't sound like something that happens in the real world.

I wonder what drugs they prescribed him.

Tylenol and ibuprofen are actually bad for human health imo.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Nice