Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9352

160/4411

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

8 am tournament here, 150/300 blinds, dealt AA. Raise to 900 UTG. biteme allins behind me with 925. I jokingly say tough call and then call. He has QQ and sucks out with a Q on the turn and then is berating me saying it was "bad poker etiquette" to say "tough call" before calling. He demanded that I "ask anyone" so I'm asking here. How is that bad etiquette?

Optional

If it is just you left to play, can't see how anything you say matters.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47617

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    8 am tournament here, 150/300 blinds, dealt AA. Raise to 900 UTG. biteme allins behind me with 925. I jokingly say tough call and then call. He has QQ and sucks out with a Q on the turn and then is berating me saying it was "bad poker etiquette" to say "tough call" before calling. He demanded that I "ask anyone" so I'm asking here. How is that bad etiquette?
    it could be construed as a slowroll, I suppose..you're obviously calling any 2 cards for 25 chips more..I think he overreacted

yisman

Yeah, that's why I didn't think it was a problem. Obviously I'm calling if I'm 900 in and someone raises to 25 more, even if I have 27 offsuit.

JAKEPEAVY21

Yeah, that's why I didn't think it was a problem. Obviously I'm calling if I'm 900 in and someone raises to 25 more, even if I have 27 offsuit.
    It would be different if you raised to 900 and he went allin for 5k+ and u sit there hemming and hawing with AA..

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

I didn't overreact, Jake. It was a slowroll... period. What yis is conveniently leaving out is THE LENGTH OF TIME he took to finally call the 25. Makes a difference, ya think? ***

Forget the fact for a sec that he should just insta-call there (and refrain from the 'jokingly' typing of "tough call").... cuz how does he then explain his subsequent "it was a tough call" comment (another conveniently left out detail) after I said "why the slowroll"?

Hard to explain all that away other than someone being a slowrolling wise-a**(in the moment, not implying this characterizes yis).

Of course anyone is gonna call 25 with any two there... that's not the point. Don't feign naivete, guys.

Also, I hardly berated you, yis. Stop with the hyperbole. Did I call you any names? Other than saying you slowrolled/bad etiquette and couple other things relating to slowrolling, what else did I do?... Uh.... the answer is NOTHING. I even said "whatever" just to drop it.

Look... bottom line... I like and respect all you guys. And, up to this one incident, yis and I have always had good relations here. From my perspective, I wouldn't want our good relations to end over this one incident.

*** yis and I must be playing SBR poker in alternate universes, because his insisted "3 seconds 3/4 time left on bar" sure manifested itself in my universe as longer than that. The question begged is: why anytime at all and "tough call" comment other than insta-call?

yisman

It took three seconds for me to call. I finished typing something and immediately hit call. I hardly "let the bar run down". Ask anyone at the table.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

It took three seconds for me to call. I finished typing something and immediately hit call. I hardly "let the bar run down". Ask anyone at the table.
    I absolutely hope someone that observed this chimes in.

I'm totally confident in my position. It took LONGER than "3 seconds" for you to call, buddy. Sorry.

Alternate universes I guess....

yisman

It most certainly did not.

Additionally, you did berate me. No, you didn't name call, but that has nothing to do with anything.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

It most certainly did not.

Additionally, you did berate me. No, you didn't name call, but that has nothing to do with anything.
    Just as I "demanded" you ask anyone..... boy, I wish my words had this kinda power over WOMEN, I'd be golden.

OK, yis.... are you OK with me making a post in the poker forum asking if anybody observed this situation? Let's face it, no one is gonna find this discussion buried in here. I'd love for someone that observed this to comment.

I'll only post in poker forum if you agree to it.

yisman

Yes, that's fine.

The reason I came here to ask is because you kept going on about it as if I had committed some kind of capital offense, and I don't believe I did.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

Yes, that's fine.

The reason I came here to ask is because you kept going on about it as if I had committed some kind of capital offense, and I don't believe I did.
    How do you explain the subsequent "it was a tough call" snarky comment after I said "why the slowroll"???? Love to hear that explanation.

OK... I'm mutitasking currently (as I believe you are) so as soon as I can I'll post in poker forum.

yisman

Nothing was intended to be snarky.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

Nothing was intended to be snarky.

Then what was the intent?

OK, so you were joking with the "tough call" 1st comment before you called (I'm already on record as having a problem with that one) but why the 2nd "it was a tough call" comment? If not snarky... what WAS intent? Shit and giggles?

yisman

As I recall, I hadn't even seen your "slowroll" comment yet, and was following up after you saw the cards to explain my joke.

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Yisman I'm sure it was no ill-intended but it's bad form to be sure.
    Points Awarded:

BiTeMe UsAdOj gave tatddy 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

yisman

Well, I meant no offense.

To be honest, I'd never even heard of the term "slowroll" until it was used today. I began playing poker last year due to SBR freerolls, and I'm not exactly up on poker lingo.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

Quote Originally Posted by tatddy View Post
    Yisman I'm sure it was no ill-intended but it's bad form to be sure.
    This was my point.

Thank you tat for chiming in.

yisman

still don't see what the big deal is, but ok.

I understand that you don't want me to joke about hands anymore by saying it's a tough call when I have 900 in and it's 25 to call.

But I certainly was not slow-rolling anybody and if anybody had the right to be upset, it was me after losing the hand, but I didn't complain.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

still don't see what the big deal is, but ok.

I understand that you don't want me to joke about hands anymore by saying it's a tough call when I have 900 in and it's 25 to call.

But I certainly was not slow-rolling anybody and if anybody had the right to be upset, it was me after losing the hand, but I didn't complain.
    Your comments here reveal that you're still not understanding quite a bit....

BUT......

To be honest, I'd never even heard of the term "slowroll" until it was used today. I began playing poker last year due to SBR freerolls, and I'm not exactly up on poker lingo.
    ..... this explains your lack of understanding (to a certain extent).

If you ever plan on playing Live Poker, yis, do yourself a favor and spring for a poker etiquette book.
    I only say that because of my concern for your safety.

yisman

That goes without saying. I've never played live poker, but from what I've witnessed online, poker players can be a sensitive bunch, so I'd have to be very careful not to say anything.

Aside from a few buy-ins online (basically all of which ended up costing me money because I never cash. Must not be good enough), I've played exclusively SBR Poker freerolls (and occasionally a DSI freeroll, which is a huge waste of time because 700+ enter each day and the prize pool is $25).

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

I wish you GOOD LUCK in all your future poker endeavors.....

Optional

Just going to toss in my two cents even though this looks over now.

The only problem here is an issue of perceptions. Which are very easily mixed up over the internet.

Yisman thinks he stopped just to type a friendly comment that BiteMe was unlucky to have called his AA. And then clicked call.

BiteMe thinks Yisman was being a bit of a smart ass, and purposely taking too long to play.

If Yisman says he was not trying to play slow or be smart/unkind then BiteMe just needs to believe him and maybe not be so fast to jump to conclusions. Full stop.

If BiteMe says Yis took an inordinate amount of time to play the hand. Yisman just needs to believe him, and maybe try to avoid it in future when calling with the nuts. Full stop.

One or both of you have simply perceived what was happening "incorrectly".

As an aside, and a fairly new poker player too. Even after this slow roll stuff was being discussed in Rudy's thread at length, I never really understood why people have such a big issue with it. And I was left with the understanding slow rolling was obviously drawing things out for a long time when holding a winner, not just hesitating a bit or making a comment before calling.

Dickheads will always be dickheads, dickheads are everywhere and dickheads will rarely give a toss about etiquette. We are all going to run up against one occasionally playing poker, why give the dickheads the satisfaction of knowing their dickitry even bothers you?

yisman

This whole thing is mind boggling. People saying I deserve "to be run over by a truck" for not observing their version of proper poker etiquette.

I get the point. I won't say anything when biteme or tataddy is in a hand with me.

JAKEPEAVY21

concern for safety at a poker table? Most are out of shape, old men or young kids. Take a swing at me, I fukkin dare you

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

This whole thing is mind boggling. People saying I deserve "to be run over by a truck" for not observing their version of proper poker etiquette.
    Wrong. It's not "their" version, but rather, the UNIVERSALLY accepted version by the whole poker world.

The fact that you're ignorant to these etiquettes is one thing (we're all ignorant on certain topics), but the more disturbing part is your stubborn refusal to admit that you were wrong here.

Have you seen how it's going for ya in the poker room thread? Comments by tattdy, Rudy and ballaholic. All guys that obviously know their poker.

And you know how tatddy meant his comment... please don't play Drama Queen.

I get the point. I won't say anything when biteme or tataddy is in a hand with me.
    This comment alone absolutely proves that you don't get the point at all.
    Last edited by BiTeMe UsAdOj; 03-06-12 at 07:59 PM.

yisman

You don't get the point at all. You're making a huge deal out of something which no one else at the table chimed in to agree with you about. What did your thread gain? A few people who weren't there taking potshots based on what you said.

Does it matter anymore whether you're "right" or not? To me it doesn't. It's your overreaction that colored everything.

Optional

Geebus. Settle it down fellas.

"stubborn refusal to admit that you were wrong" <-- that goes both ways when you continue to insist the comment was snarky.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

You don't get the point at all. You're making a huge deal out of something which no one else at the table chimed in to agree with you about. What did your thread gain? A few people who weren't there taking potshots based on what you said.
    1) I tried to end this a couple times with my "whatever" at the table and my "GL with all your future poker endeavors" here. It was a dead issue after I left the tourney as far I was concerned. YOU'RE the guy that brought it to the forum. I wasn't gonna do anything. Tell me again how I'm making a "huge deal" out of it? I have a right to respond to your asinine forum comments regarding this, ya know.

2) You and I and anyone w/brains knows there are many reasons people don't chat/respond while playing poker. Sometimes I can't because I'm working, for instance. You know this....

3) Are you actually saying tatddy, Rudy and ballaholic are taking POTSHOTS at you? Please tell me you're not really saying this.

4) You KNOW that everything I said and the way that I presented it is....100%...STONE...COLD...TRUTH.

Does it matter anymore whether you're "right" or not? To me it doesn't. It's your overreaction that colored everything.
    Uh huh... my overreaction, huh?... yeah, and ttwarrior thinks he's SBR's best poker player.

Let me repeat what I said at the table: WHATEVER......

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Geebus. Settle it down fellas.
    I tried, Opti. "GL with all your poker endeavors" should have ended it.

Be fair here, please.

BUT, if yis continues to make comments about it, I reserve the right to respond. Only fair.

"stubborn refusal to admit that you were wrong" <-- that goes both ways when you continue to insist the comment was snarky.
    I don't continue to insist that (and that was in reference to the 2nd comment). People that know poker (tat, bal and Rudy) are saying it was wrong solely based on the 1st "tough call" before he called. Nothing more. Forget snarky or not.

Optional

I like you both. It just seems to me this started over that comment. Which also seems like a pure misunderstanding.

If he had typed nothing would you still think he was slow rolling? Was the wait time itself enough to be worried about alone?

If the answer to those is no, then it is all about the comment and how it was intended/taken.

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by BiTeMe UsAdOj View Post
    1) I tried to end this a couple times with my "whatever" at the table and my "GL with all your future poker endeavors" here. It was a dead issue after I left the tourney as far I was concerned. YOU'RE the guy that brought it to the forum. I wasn't gonna do anything. Tell me again how I'm making a "huge deal" out of it? I have a right to respond to your asinine forum comments regarding this, ya know.
    You created this whole thing to begin with. I defended myself at the table, and you kept coming after me, finally demanding that I "ask anyone" and that they'd all agree with you. So I did as you said. But that wasn't good enough.

Asinine forum comments, huh? I'm defending myself here.

4) You KNOW that everything I said and the way that I presented it is....100%...STONE...COLD...TRUTH.
    Obviously not, because I disagree with it.

Let me repeat what I said at the table: WHATEVER......
    Agreed. Let it rest.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I like you both. It just seems to me this started over that comment. Which also seems like a pure misunderstanding.

If he had typed nothing would you still think he was slow rolling? Was the wait time itself enough to be worried about alone?

If the answer to those is no, then it is all about the comment and how it was intended/taken.
    I'm only posting again on this because you asked me a direct questions, Opti.

I like and respect both you and yis, also. Always have. That's why this situation took me aback... that it involved yis.

The honest answer to both your direct questions is YES (and the typed comments only made it worse).

I hope someone that was at our table comes along and addresses the time issue.

Optional

:-)

First ... 10111213141516 ... Last