NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Anyone See "Secrets of the Dead" -The Bugging of Hitler's Generals

Randomly just flipping through channels just saw a fascinating show on PBS regarding how a lot of intel that helped Britain and the United States allies win in World War 2 against Germany were because of classified top secret information many captured German generals gave to them not knowing they were being bugged the whole time while being held in captivity in some lavish British mansion from 1942-1945.

I know I know.....this is a gambling site Is shouldn't be making posts about this right? .....yadda yadda.

But for those who do have a brain and a knack for behind the scenes sort of "secrets" that influenced the course of human history....this is a very interesting series.

Here is a little background on the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrets_of_the_Dead

Now mind you, I have never seen this before in my life but once I turned it on and realized what was happening I could not turn it off till I saw the whole thing. Almost like a plot right out of a movie.

Here is basically the crux of what I saw:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/feat...s-episode/924/

They basically described how some of the Nazi generals captured never even wanted Hitler in power to begin with and knew he was a nut job making them all look bad. SOme were actually very scholarly and well read and looked down upon Hitler as nothing but a neanderthalic brute. Other generals captured there were still blindly loyal to the moron and were angry and always coming to the psycho's when other generals there were berating Hitler. And meanwhile the MI -19 (British CIA) were bugging and recording everything these nimrods were saying to one another.

Very interesting.....and sad too. I recommend watching it to those who are historian buffs and or just interested in past events and how they unfolded.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

sounds interesting - thanks for the recommendation

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    sounds interesting - thanks for the recommendation
    Speaking of rockets....the British were able to find a critical piece of information on a German top secret rocket from one of these generals and had they not acted on it probably Normandy would have never been possible.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    Speaking of rockets....the British were able to find a critical piece of information on a German top secret rocket from one of these generals and had they not acted on it probably Normandy would have never been possible.

NYSportsGuy210

Oh and they raped Russian women after they invaded.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

dude in Russia we're raised with history of WW2, my grandfather was a partisan - trust me, I know all about it

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

I'll scope this out tonight, I have a bizarre fascination with learning as much as I can about the Nazi movement, because I think that on so many levels it offers us a blueprint for what must never ever be done.

Thank you for the link.

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    I'll scope this out tonight, I have a bizarre fascination with learning as much as I can about the Nazi movement, because I think that on so many levels it offers us a blueprint for what must never ever be done.

Thank you for the link.
    it's already being done...the obungo administration is Nazi-lite.

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    Unreal. That isn't a good thing man. Also what they did to the Jews.

NYSportsGuy210

Just saw the episode where they showed what happened during the atomic bomb race between USA and the USSR back in the late 1950's and the early 1960's. Andrei Sacarov was a good man for the Russians. This was a terrific episode.

And now I know where the word "bikini" comes from

Link: http://video.pbs.org/video/1923035514

Sacrelicious

Just watched it, crazy episode.

Really kills me inside to see that people still are posting fringe articles about how the Holocaust never happened, unreal.

A good friends father had to spend 6 years years in hiding to avoid being killed during the 2nd world war. I read a lot of stories about how "6 million dead is a complete lie!" and all that kind of stuff, quite frankly, I don't care if it was 6 million people or 10 people, a crime against humanity is still a crime against humanity.

While I may not agree with Israel's current political stance against Palestine, and have not for many, many years, this story still has validity, its a stark reminder of how dark humanity can get, and everyone can learn something from it.

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    Just watched it, crazy episode.

Really kills me inside to see that people still are posting fringe articles about how the Holocaust never happened, unreal.

A good friends father had to spend 6 years years in hiding to avoid being killed during the 2nd world war. I read a lot of stories about how "6 million dead is a complete lie!" and all that kind of stuff, quite frankly, I don't care if it was 6 million people or 10 people, a crime against humanity is still a crime against humanity.

While I may not agree with Israel's current political stance against Palestine, and have not for many, many years, this story still has validity, its a stark reminder of how dark humanity can get, and everyone can learn something from it.
    Hitler brain washed a lot of those people. Propaganda made killing Jews a "noble cause". It's the equivalent of having a cult the size of a nation that has superior military capabilites. The ultimate in evil fanaticism and very scary indeed.

CountNo_Account
    The Man, the Myth,the Legend, the Count
    CountNo_Account's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3779

Just to set the record straight the Russians were way more brutal to the German civilians when they moved into Germany towards the end of the war.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by CountNo_Account View Post
    Just to set the record straight the Russians were way more brutal to the German civilians when they moved into Germany towards the end of the war.
    I don't think you can blame them for that after seeing what Germans did to our people on our land for almost 4 years. There is not a single family to this day in Russia that was not affected by that war.

and I'm not sure what you mean by more brutal? Russians where not burning down the entire villages with people (kids, women, elderly folks) when they moved in. Yeah they did kill come civilian, as a revenge. Most of the soldiers were doing that to somehow redeem the loss of their entire family. Is it brutal -Yes...is it more brutal than what Germans did to us - hell No.

Russia was not just in a battle with Germany, how Americans were...Russia was occupied by Germany - think about it. Germans were living in our houses, killing innocent civilians every single day for the giggles for 4 straight years.
    Last edited by Russian Rocket; 05-03-13 at 05:53 AM.

Sacrelicious

Depending on how you want to quantify what "more brutal" means, I guess.

It doesn't make what the Germans did any more right though.

NYSportsGuy210

Germans were down right evil. If you watch that episode that I wort this post about....many German generals captured by Britain, admitted to their German army soldiers literally picking up three year old Jewish children by their hair and shooting them point blank in the head. Just brutal.

CountNo_Account

Not defending the Germans or their actions, there was plenty of brutality to go around. War is brutal.This I know for a fact. I will say this,Stalin was a much more brutal dictator than Hitler and was responsible for more overall deaths, including a lot of Russians...

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Not defending the Germans or their actions, there was plenty of brutality to go around. War is brutal.This I know for a fact. I will say this,Stalin was a much more brutal dictator than Hitler and was responsible for more overall deaths, including a lot of Russians...
    That is a very good point.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Count.

Let me finish this wiener then me and you need to talk

CountNo_Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel_CashFlow View Post
    Count.

Let me finish this wiener then me and you need to talk

That's the problem, you never finish the wiener...always another wiener....

NYSportsGuy210

The episode on the Nuclear arms race and the A-Bomb was very good too. Watch that episode as well.