bjb7223
    bjb7223's Avatar SBR Posting Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mjsuax13 View Post
    Tip of the iceberg
    a storm is coming

kyhawk
    kyhawk's Avatar SBR Wise Guy

Way to easy to bet now days.

I had to fly to vegas and then move there to play. fuk i am old.

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kyhawk View Post

Think about what you just said… same. I always had offshore but I came to Vegas to be in the action 24/7.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator

Iowa and Iowa State have more than a gambling problem,it's not proven, but there have been strong rumors, that they have a steroid problem as well. A lot of strong rumors about Iowa wrestling program.

Penn State and Iowa have been dominating the sport for 20 years running, Iowa won thee straight national titles, then Penn State won five straight national titles.

There's been two dynasties in NCAA wrestling, Iowa and Penn State in the past 20 years, and there's a lot of rumors flying that those two locker rooms regarding juicing.
    I played two sports in HS and college, baseball, and wrestled 170 lb class.
    I've seen what goes on, it's not just only on the Bonds, Big Mac, A-Rod, Sosa level, it goes on even on the D2 level.I'm too short for basket ball, and not big enough for football.

I'm just speculating here, not reporting a fact I can link, but I believe it.
    It goes on, I've seen it, it's just not talked about in the open.
    Last edited by stevenash; 05-09-23 at 02:44 AM.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator

Sounds like it's just about students betting on NFL, NBA etc, not on themselves or match fixing.

• The university has received information about 111 individuals.

• This includes 26 current student-athletes from baseball, football, men’s basketball, men’s track and field, and men's wrestling, as well as one full-time employee of the UI Department of Athletics.
      • The vast majority of the individuals are student-staff, former student-athletes, or those with no connection to UI Athletics.
      • The list does not include any current or former coaches.

https://osc.uiowa.edu/sports-wagering-investigation

newton0038
    Update your status
    newton0038's Avatar SBR MVP

There is point shaving any given Saturday

teecee
    teecee's Avatar SBR Hall of Famer

Ffs, let them gamble.

jedihyoju
    jedihyoju's Avatar SBR Sharp

Its just tip of iceberg

Now its so easy to bet, kids don't have a chance to go pro but is in the NCAA program will be tempted to make some money

I mean I would be tempted as well to be honest

gauchojake
    Huck Fobos
    gauchojake's Avatar BARRELED IN @ SBR!

Fishhead is their bookie

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by kyhawk View Post

Think about what you just said… same. I always had offshore but I came to Vegas to be in the action 24/7.

Me, too.

bleedblue
    bleedblue's Avatar SBR Sharp

Why are college athletes not allowed to bet on pro sports?

Are they worried it would devolve into betting on college sports?

Can’t think of a legitimate reason.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR Aristocracy

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Fishhead is their bookie
    As stated, will address this issue after the hockey season.

Natty68
    Natty68's Avatar SBR Wise Guy

Between NIL and gambling everywhere you look this is going to be a TOTAL CLUSTERFOK in ten years...especially for college kids. They are absolutely printing money on college football and men's basketball so they figure they'll just plug the holes as they come when it gets out they're ALL either gambling or taking a few bucks. I'm speaking of the guys that are just A HAIR short of being good enough for a pro contract but have inferred all the CTE risk and damage to their bodies and all they have is a useless degree cuz the SEC schools put them in ridiculous courses to keep them field eligible. What do the NFL Tennessee Titans draw gate-wise? 70,000? And they're a good team. What are they jamming into that stadium on Rocky Top? 102,000....that's how many. The notion that a center covered in mud and blood without two nickels to rub together isn't going to be resentful of a QB with millions in NIL is absoluteley focking absurd. And they know that.

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by jedihyoju View Post
    Its just tip of iceberg

Now its so easy to bet, kids don't have a chance to go pro but is in the NCAA program will be tempted to make some money

I mean I would be tempted as well to be honest
    Absolutely. Most these kids will never have this kind of opportunity again once they leave school. For every draft pick there are 1000’s that you never hear about again and mostly have a worthless degree.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR Hall of Famer

Absolutely. Most these kids will never have this kind of opportunity again once they leave school. For every draft pick there are 1000’s that you never hear about again and mostly have a worthless degree.
    There used to be a good bowl game angle on senior Qb's that you knew weren't going pro. I'm talking it worked like 10 years ago or so and back from there.

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    There used to be a good bowl game angle on senior Qb's that you knew weren't going pro. I'm talking it worked like 10 years ago or so and back from there.
    Wow. We need to check it out come this bowl season. Last game of their career. Why not make an extra few bucks?

gauchojake
    Huck Fobos
    gauchojake's Avatar BARRELED IN @ SBR!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    As stated, will address this issue after the hockey season.
    Popcorn

JCap
    Livin the dream
    JCap's Avatar SBR Wise Guy

Let them gamble!

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar SBR Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Natty68 View Post
    Between NIL and gambling everywhere you look this is going to be a TOTAL CLUSTERFOK in ten years...especially for college kids. They are absolutely printing money on college football and men's basketball so they figure they'll just plug the holes as they come when it gets out they're ALL either gambling or taking a few bucks. I'm speaking of the guys that are just A HAIR short of being good enough for a pro contract but have inferred all the CTE risk and damage to their bodies and all they have is a useless degree cuz the SEC schools put them in ridiculous courses to keep them field eligible. What do the NFL Tennessee Titans draw gate-wise? 70,000? And they're a good team. What are they jamming into that stadium on Rocky Top? 102,000....that's how many. The notion that a center covered in mud and blood without two nickels to rub together isn't going to be resentful of a QB with millions in NIL is absoluteley focking absurd. And they know that.
    100% correct; legalizing gambling everywhere could possibly turn into a fixer's and shaver's dream.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post

100% correct; legalizing gambling everywhere could possibly turn into a fixer's and shaver's dream.
    I don't think so. 100+ years of betting regulation in UK or Australia has not caused that to happen. In fact I think most Australians imagine their leagues are amongst the cleanest in the world.

And I think the often quoted "if you aint cheating, you aint trying" USA catch phrase and attitude is 10x more related to match fixing than legalized sports betting.

Does anyone know of any other country that widely glorifies cheating as admirable? I doubt we could find even one that does not think that attitude is shameful, let alone agree with it. Look there. Dont blame gambling itself.

One thing does not lead to the other.
    Last edited by Optional; 05-11-23 at 11:28 AM.

hustledouble
    hustledouble's Avatar SBR High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I don't think so. 100+ years of betting regulation in UK or Australia has not caused that to happen. In fact I think most Australians imagine their leagues are amongst the cleanest in the world.

And I think the often quoted "if you aint cheating, you aint trying" USA catch phrase and attitude is 10x more related to match fixing than legalized sports betting.

Does anyone know of any other country that widely glorifies cheating as admirable? I doubt we could find even one that does not think that attitude is shameful, let alone agree with it. Look there. Dont blame gambling itself.

One thing does not lead to the other.
    China would never call it "cheating" but "saving face" is a primary part of their culture and basically the same thing.

I agree with Optional though; I think this gets *less* common over time. There is a thing in internet security called "attack surface". It basically means the amount of exposure you have to hackers. Right now stateside betting has a lot of "attack surface" for bad actors because it's new and most states are still figuring out the boundaries and loopholes. That's prob. not how it should work but it's how it does work. As things progress the attack surface naturally shrinks because they start closing some of those holes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see regulatory bodies pump the brakes on low-level college sports though, at least for a time, because they are primed for this to happen

Optional

Good take doublehstle.

Agree and would also add that big corporations now have an interest in protecting betting integrity helping it get better, not worse, over time.

Natty68

Anxiously awaiting fishheads take........As THE FOCKING HEAD COACH OF THE ALABAMA BASEBALL TEAM gets canned for gambling related issues. Never mind the kids....THE FOCKING COACH!

Natty68

No different than the mortgage backed security housing crash of 2008.......people seeing what they want to see cuz my Lord!....ain't the money just rolling on in......just make sure you're not the last one standing there without a chair when the music stops.