DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19539

Thanks for all the info Sam; I talked to the people at the dealership and was able to get a pretty good price if I decide to buy it. Won't be leasing but buying it but I'm paying cash, not financing and I'm buying it to last 20 years, not nine or ten. They tell me that it's probably going to be 12-14 weeks from the day I order it.

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

Congrats!!! What type of vehicle you buy??

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever

Subaru Impreza, base trim.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9189

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Thanks for all the info Sam; I talked to the people at the dealership and was able to get a pretty good price if I decide to buy it. Won't be leasing but buying it but I'm paying cash, not financing and I'm buying it to last 20 years, not nine or ten. They tell me that it's probably going to be 12-14 weeks from the day I order it.
    I don't think any new car is designed to last that long anymore.

They all use plastic parts all over the place now, even the most expensive cars.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    It's hard to make a vehicle last 20 years. Especially with these newer "electronic" engines. Only advice that I know works and will prolong the life of your engine... running Mobil 1 full synthetic. 5w 30 blend... (if your vehicle takes it) 6,000 miles or 6 months. Whatever comes first. Always OEM oil filter. I have a 2008 Suburban Z71 and the engine runs smooth. I don't use it as often anymore.... so basically I drive it under 4,000 miles a year. That's when I typically change the oil once a year. DO NOT trust your dealer to change your oil.... DO NOT trust the local oil change shop when they bring out the HOSE with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.... for all you know... it could be a conventional oil in that HOSE. I trust no one. All it takes is 1 oil change that someone LIED to you about.... and you're running dirty oil. If you lease cars... it certainly doesn't matter... because you'll be turning your vehicle in in 2 or 3 years. But when you're buying a vehicle for longevity... you need to make everything a science... and do your homework. I always purchase the Mobil 1 full synthetic from Walmart.com (cheapest price) I buy my OEM oil filter in bulk on Ebay. Super cheap. I take it to a QUICK OIL CHANGE place that allows you to bring the products in. Call around... there's a few places that allow this. I watch them change the filter.... and put the new oil in... all on camera.

Back to these newer electronic engines... most take 0w-16 oil now. I don't really see how this protects the engine??? I have a new 2020 Toyota... too early to tell if it's working or not??? I will say this... regardless of what it says in your owner's manual... DO NOT go 1 year and change your oil at 10,000 miles.... This is ridiculous. It says it right in my Toyota manual. I will always change oil at 5,000 miles or 6 months on a 0w-16 oil. I could careless what Toyota says.

Also, you should start changing the transmission fluid at around 30,000 miles. Sure you could wait until 50,000... it might be pushing it. Everyone says don't change your transmission fluid at all. LOL Um ok... that's the 2nd thing that goes. The Transmission. Must protect the engine and transmission with optimal fluid.

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Ordered my first full electric car today. Curious about the real life range, charging etc. Oh well, let's see.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever

Subarus are built to last if you don't abuse the car. The one I have now is over 21 years old, it lasted 18 years without needing any repairs and in the last few years it's started to develop problems. I kept track of all the money I spent on oil changes, tires, repairs and maintenance over the years. Including the cost of the car, sales tax, registration and everything else, I spent about $1,800/year or $150/month.

First ... 2345