stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32267

Georgia-Alabama national title game receives second-lowest ratings of CFP era

Georgia’s national title victory over Alabama averaged 22.6 million viewers across three ESPN platforms the network announced, the second-lowest number since the beginning of the College Football Playoff era dating back to the 2014 season. The viewership was up from a record low of 18.7 million viewers for the Alabama-Ohio State game at the end of the 2021 season affected by the pandemic.
    The game was, however, the most-watched event on cable since LSU's win over Clemson at the end of the 2019 season and the most-viewed non-NFL sporting event on any network in the last two years.
    Ohio State’s win over Oregon to cap the 2014 season is by far the highest-rated title game of the Playoff era, with 34.6 million viewers. That is followed by Alabama over Clemson in 2015 (26.7 million), Clemson over Alabama in 2016 (26.0 million), Alabama over Georgia in 2017 (28.4 million), Clemson over Alabama in 2018 (25.3 million) and LSU over Clemson in 2019 (26.9 million).

What do these numbers mean?

Stewart Mandel, national college football reporter: While not entirely surprising, the 22.6 million number is definitely disappointing for the CFP. Yes, it's up from 2020, but all sports ratings were down in 2020. The takeaway is that it's down quite a bit from 2019, continuing a downward trend for the CFP.
    It doesn't help when the semifinals are on New Year's Eve and the games are blowouts. That doesn't help build momentum for the championship game. But there's also been a malaise building for years due to the SEC and Clemson dominance.

magpie878
    magpie878's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7055

racism

stevenash

This was cut and pasted from this mornings "Athletic"
    There's more, I'd provide the links but The Athletics' content is paid subscription only so most of you couldn't access it.

The Athletic is by far the best in the industry.
    (No, I don't write for them, so this isn't a tout job)

One industry insider says the college football game is in deep trouble.
    All the ratings are in the toilet, national and regional.
    The avid fan still watches, but that's it.

RangeFinder
    RangeFinder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2697

People are staying away from "Woke" networks. They're tired of the racist ads and left political platforms.

Message to sports networks. Stay out of politics. It will hurt your bottom line.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33414

Two teams from the same region that have already played each other, with Alabama being a very small market, doesn't spell ratings success imo. I bet on the game and didn't even watch it.

stevex
    stevex's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11350

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Two teams from the same region that have already played each other, with Alabama being a very small market, doesn't spell ratings success imo. I bet on the game and didn't even watch it.
    This.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    And it's mainly the same small markets every year.

Clemson South Carolina, or Columbus Ohio, or Tuscaloosa Alabama, or Baton Rouge...

Unless USC is involved LA isn't represented, there are no NYC metropolitan college powerhouses.
    Chicago? The next time Northwestern is involved will be the first time.

What's #4? Philly or Dallas?

You need at least one big Texas team in there to generate some big market numbers.

Sports fans love the NCAA basketball tournaments, more diversity, the football bowls, including the big ones people don't give a shit.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

The bowls are stupid because a lot of the star players dont even play, coaches who coached the team all year are all of a sudden not there. Theres no motivation at all for these teams. Hey we won the tax act bowl whoopdy fukkin do. Like whats the point other than the final four where you have to win to advance.

Might be illogical but I would love to see a 32 team bracket like bball or maybe even 36 where the top 4 ranked teams get byes.

stevenash

^
    Or even an eight team football tourney,
    This is what I'm thinking, eight teams, three rounds spread across four weekends.
    Play the NCAA final the week before the SB game.
    Makes sense to me, every football fan I know hates that weekend before the Super Bowl before the game is actually played.
    What better way to fill that void with a NCAA Championship game?

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Nobody wants to see 2 hick states play.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    Nobody wants to see 2 hick states play.
    That's what I'm saying, it's not just two hick states, but it's the SAME two fukking states.
    South Carolina and Alabama.
    If it's not those two it's Georgia or whatever.

Give me a Cali team every now and then, even one of those corn states like Iowa or Kansas.

Give me something fresh man.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Maybe next year they should put two 6-6 teams in the championship game with good fun base that don't play defense but keep scoring uncontested TDs so that the ratings will be up. People love TDs when no one makes a tackle or covers the receivers!

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20433

They need to go more woke. More transmission cheerleaders. Only allow commercials that feature same-sex, different-race unmarried couples with kids that don't match race of either parent. Prominently paint "black lives matter" and "burn it down" on the field. Only drag queens and gays allowed for the half time show. Hand out brochure titled, "How to play with your pee-pee" to all children under 12. All vendors have to dress like those "nuns" on Fremont Street in Vegas.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21641

Quote Originally Posted by RangeFinder View Post
    People are staying away from "Woke" networks. They're tired of the racist ads and left political platforms.

Message to sports networks. Stay out of politics. It will hurt your bottom line.
    Then why is the NFL breaking TV ratings records this season?

I think it had more to do with the regional nature of the matchup all-SEC southern teams.

Much bigger ratings had one of the teams been Mich or OSU.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

20201129-021528

The sportsfan disconnected from college this year after seeing this ridiculous shit.

I suspect a huge drop in bball rating as well now that stadiums are empty and games getting canceled.

NFL way up for saying F IT to covid rules and dumping the PC agenda of 19/20

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Then why is the NFL breaking TV ratings records this season?

I think it had more to do with the regional nature of the matchup all-SEC southern teams.

Much bigger ratings had one of the teams been Mich or OSU.
    Simple answer.
    NFL Sunday's are pretty much a family event.
    It's so much more than a sporting contest.

Families plan their Sunday's around NFL football.

Brings to mind that great quote from "Concussion"
    "The NFL is so powerful it's the only corporation in the world that owns a day of the week"

teecee
    teecee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2879

Nobody wanted to see that shit again. Twice in a month. Who fukkin cares.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Go Dawgs! Eat ass you haters

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    20201129-021528

The sportsfan disconnected from college this year after seeing this ridiculous shit.

I suspect a huge drop in bball rating as well now that stadiums are empty and games getting canceled.

NFL way up for saying F IT to covid rules and dumping the PC agenda of 19/20

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Simple answer.
    NFL Sunday's are pretty much a family event.
    It's so much more than a sporting contest.

Families plan their Sunday's around NFL football.

Brings to mind that great quote from "Concussion"
    "The NFL is so powerful it's the only corporation in the world that owns a day of the week"
    That, and gambling/fantasy. Tired of idiots bringing politics into it. Nobody gives a shit. Trumptards are exhausting.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Ratings lol

Who gives a shit

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Everyone better get used to it because it's going to be Alabama/Georgia/Ohio State for the next several years. We'll see about USC and A&M.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

NFL had an enormous dip in ratings when the BLM / kneeling stuff was being televised.

They dumped all that AND they reworked their Covid program after the Rodgers story broke / Omarion was declared mild...that pleased people, because they want to move on here, then the NFL threatened to relocate the SuperBowl if LA didn't unwind its mask policy by February, and that pleased people.

When your customer base is pleased, they'll reward you & your advertisers!

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11139

NFL had an enormous dip in ratings when the BLM / kneeling stuff was being televised.
    They dumped all that AND they reworked their Covid program after the Rodgers story broke / Omarion was declared mild...that pleased people, because they want to move on here, then the NFL threatened to relocate the SuperBowl if LA didn't unwind its mask policy by February, and that pleased people.
    There was no dip over BLM/Kneeling. Just a lot of hurt feelings from triggered broke folks like you. The NFL is doing quite well despite your Lord and Savior, Sargent Bone Spurs trying to kill it. How you related this to a low CFP game is beyond me??? You are really reaching here.

20201129-021528
    Have you ever been to an A&M game? You can't get a fukking ticket. Kyle Field is one of the toughest places to play. Ask Bama. WTF are you talking about?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

NFL ratings have been up all season. It has nothing to do with politics of any nature. It's the prevalence of gambling/fantasy that helps.

vitterd
    vitterd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3673

Not as many people alive anymore to watch. Dead from covid.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

Definitely the gambling and fantasy now that a bunch of states are regulated. If I didn't gamble I probably wouldn't even watch sports.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by ThaWoj View Post
    Definitely the gambling and fantasy now that a bunch of states are regulated. If I didn't gamble I probably wouldn't even watch sports.
    If I didn't gamble I'd watch the NY Giants every Sunday, and MLB.
    No hoops, no NHL, that's for damn sure.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    If I didn't gamble I'd watch the NY Giants every Sunday, and MLB.
    No hoops, no NHL, that's for damn sure.
    They couldn't pay you enough to watch that garbage.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

“College football is an inferior product” says man who watches NFL week 18

stevenash

They couldn't pay you enough to watch that garbage.
    I come from an 80 year Giants family.
    (Long story, my grandfather knew grandpa Mara)

Cradle to grave G-Man loyalist.
    Yes, we can't suck enough, I know it.