1. #1
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 14,873
    Betpoints: 11041

    Same gas in my car since mid march

    Cannot see clients and we drive my wife's car when we're with the fam because it's bigger. I've been driving my car every 3-4 days but only a mile or two each time. I still have half a tank left. Me thinks I should burn off all the gas asap though

    Question: should I refill just a few gallons or should I top the fugger off ??

  2. #2
    carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-12-11
    Posts: 19,106
    Betpoints: 3661

    i hope you got a discount on your auto insu.

  3. #3
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 14,873
    Betpoints: 11041

    CK I read it can be okay for up to one year in the tank??

    I'm gona burn it off this wknd

  4. #4
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 14,873
    Betpoints: 11041

    Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    i hope you got a discount on your auto insu.
    I did but only 15%. I called to ask for more but they didnt answer.

  5. #5
    jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 388,190
    Betpoints: 10

    Homie you broke?

  6. #6
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 14,873
    Betpoints: 11041

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Homie you broke?
    .
    not at all. why? i am just not driving because my office is closed. my car is sitting idle. we drive Wifey's vehicle, it's an SUV. i have a 4 door sedan. we like to take the SUV when we go out. roomier

  7. #7
    Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-21-10
    Posts: 13,929
    Betpoints: 5350

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    .
    not at all. why? i am just not driving because my office is closed. my car is sitting idle. we drive Wifey's vehicle, it's an SUV. i have a 4 door sedan. we like to take the SUV when we go out. roomier
    Dude dont listen to that jj clown. You'll be alright.

  8. #8
    pablo222
    pablo222's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-03-19
    Posts: 8,813
    Betpoints: 25498

    Your gas should still be alright. But you might want to get her out on the highway for 10 or 15 miles once a week.

    I would top her off in a couple weeks.

  9. #9
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 88,966
    Betpoints: 90

    Iíd think the gas be fine but Pablo right you should probably take it out for a spin every now and then.

  10. #10
    Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-21-10
    Posts: 13,929
    Betpoints: 5350

    Weird how on that American Pickers they can find a car that's been sitting for 20 years and it fires right up. Sure it's all fake anyway.
    Last edited by Bcatswin; 07-10-20 at 04:17 PM.

  11. #11
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 14,873
    Betpoints: 11041

    Quote Originally Posted by pablo222 View Post
    Your gas should still be alright. But you might want to get her out on the highway for 10 or 15 miles once a week.

    I would top her off in a couple weeks.
    I drive it every 3-4 days for a mile or two

  12. #12
    KnuckleHeadz
    KnuckleHeadz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-11-19
    Posts: 8,183
    Betpoints: 4505

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    .
    not at all. why? i am just not driving because my office is closed. my car is sitting idle. we drive Wifey's vehicle, it's an SUV. i have a 4 door sedan. we like to take the SUV when we go out. roomier
    We all knew you were a Cuck.

  13. #13
    Tanko
    Slow roll
    Tanko's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-19-09
    Posts: 5,084
    Betpoints: 24774

    My brother in-law is a mechanic, one of those ASME(?) guys at a dealership. Anyway, I had same issue with one of our cars not being driven much. He said, its important to get your car up to temperature by driving it around at least every week.

    The stale gas is less of a concern, but the lubrication, transmissions seals, etc... need to be used regularly to stay in good condition. I drive our 3rd car 20-30 highway miles in one shot each week to be safe.
    Points Awarded:

    homie1975 gave Tanko 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DiggityDaggityDo

  14. #14
    hawkeye 16
    Update your status
    hawkeye 16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-07-17
    Posts: 3,553
    Betpoints: 10404

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanko View Post
    My brother in-law is a mechanic, one of those ASME(?) guys at a dealership. Anyway, I had same issue with one of our cars not being driven much. He said, its important to get your car up to temperature by driving it around at least every week.

    The stale gas is less of a concern, but the lubrication, transmissions seals, etc... need to be used regularly to stay in good condition. I drive our 3rd car 20-30 highway miles in one shot each week to be safe.
    Any type of rubber will dry out and crack after awhile. Gaskets, etc. Even the sidewalls of your tires. It applies to wheel bearings (grease), etc. as well. The heat from driving keeps things "pliable" for lack of a better term.
    For the gas you can use a product like Stab-ill to keep it from getting gunky.
    Last edited by hawkeye 16; 07-10-20 at 04:39 PM.

  15. #15
    pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-12-07
    Posts: 82,189
    Betpoints: 410

    You need to burn it ASAP. Water (condensation gets into the tank) and if you don't burn the gas it could rust your tank.

  16. #16
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 14,873
    Betpoints: 11041

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanko View Post
    My brother in-law is a mechanic, one of those ASME(?) guys at a dealership. Anyway, I had same issue with one of our cars not being driven much. He said, its important to get your car up to temperature by driving it around at least every week.

    The stale gas is less of a concern, but the lubrication, transmissions seals, etc... need to be used regularly to stay in good condition. I drive our 3rd car 20-30 highway miles in one shot each week to be safe.
    good info, thanks

  17. #17
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 14,873
    Betpoints: 11041

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye 16 View Post
    Any type of rubber will dry out and crack after awhile. Gaskets, etc. Even the sidewalls of your tires. It applies to wheel bearings (grease), etc. as well. The heat from driving keeps things "pliable" for lack of a better term.
    For the gas you can use a product like Stab-ill to keep it from getting gunky.
    thank you

  18. #18
    seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-08-06
    Posts: 22,556
    Betpoints: 13422

    I took the insurance completely off of one of my cars. But it does make sense to drive them on occasionally to make sure that everything is still in working order in regards to lubrication and heat.

  19. #19
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 14,873
    Betpoints: 11041

    Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    You need to burn it ASAP. Water (condensation gets into the tank) and if you don't burn the gas it could rust your tank.
    thanks Paver

  20. #20
    lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-22-16
    Posts: 9,697
    Betpoints: 13520

    guys broke. its 20/40 dollars pal who cares...

  21. #21
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 14,873
    Betpoints: 11041

    Quote Originally Posted by lonegambler23 View Post
    guys broke. its 20/40 dollars pal who cares...
    i don't give a shitt about the money i care about the car. i have been reading it's better to let a full tank sit in an idle car than it is to leave a few gallons. i am literally not driving the vehicle at all. it is a car i used for work and to visit clients but the office is closed and we are barred from visiting clients until the company lifts it.

    again, the question about filling the tank is about What Is Better For The Car??

  22. #22
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 14,873
    Betpoints: 11041

    Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    I took the insurance completely off of one of my cars. But it does make sense to drive them on occasionally to make sure that everything is still in working order in regards to lubrication and heat.
    seaborner i am still paying the insurance on my vehicles. was given a 15% discount for a couple of mos by my carrier. that is it.

  23. #23
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 88,966
    Betpoints: 90

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    seaborner i am still paying the insurance on my vehicles. was given a 15% discount for a couple of mos by my carrier. that is it.
    15%? What a bunch of assholes, lol. Iíd think should be like 40% but I guess they have no way of knowing who driving and who isnít. Everyone would claim that if they gave substantial refund I guess. Better to keep carrying on at least something, rates get jacked if you go uninsured for any amount of time I believe.

  24. #24
    SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-10-15
    Posts: 3,958
    Betpoints: 2939

    You need to get an oil change also

  25. #25
    seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-08-06
    Posts: 22,556
    Betpoints: 13422

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    seaborner i am still paying the insurance on my vehicles. was given a 15% discount for a couple of mos by my carrier. that is it.
    When the insurance commercials were constantly talking about discounts and looking out for us, I knew then that the insurance companies wanted us to stick with them through these times. I didnít want a discount, I dropped it altogether. Im not driving near as much as i used to. I took the battery cable off and Iíll decide if I truly need the car in a few months. Until then, i know I donít need insurance on a vehicle im not driving at all.

Top