Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is getting a Degree worth it?

Just wondered what some of you that do not currently have one think about it. Are you happy with your job(s) or do you wish you had gotten an education?

inb4 saloon

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

If your lucky enough to get into college and can survive financially finish the job I say get that paper it will never be taken away
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave SEAHAWKHARRY 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

regger gave SEAHAWKHARRY 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

GoBlue23
    Penetrate
    GoBlue23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3169

Depends on what field of discipline you choose

So many useless majors out here

Many fields require a master's degree as well

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

If you're trying to be an entrepreneur... a degree isn't necessary.

But honestly... I've ran into a few acquaintances throughout my life. People who basically "bought" themselves a degree. If you have a 4 year degree out of any major college... such as Ohio State... Michigan etc... you're practically hired on the spot.

It's unfortunate that there are some savvy individuals.... who understand a game plan, a format, and have in-depth knowledge of a specific area... but your wage is based on a degree. It's flat out retarded.

There are some individuals who are more intelligent than people who have a degree... yet major companies want to see that 4-year major college degree.

I don't get it.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave TheMoneyShot 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: packerd_00

lilpete
    lilpete's Avatar Become A Pro!

just gamble professionally you dont even need a high school diploma

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

I've never met a single person that regretted getting their college degree. Myself included.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave opie1988 8 Betpoint(s) for this post.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Ra77er

Gentlemen thank you for the responses.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

College degree is a piece of paper that says "I am hireable." Even a worthless degree opens a lot of doors that will be closed otherwise. In fact, worthless degrees from second rate colleges are probably the best deal going right now.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    Gentlemen thank you for the responses.
    Another thing I find that's quite interesting... a few years back. Channel 4 in Detroit which is a NBC affiliate had the most non journalism degree employees at one time. In fact, there was an estimated 76% that didn't have a journalism based degree. It just goes to show you... all major companies just want a degree in anything. Even if it doesn't support what you're trying to apply for. Very odd.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave TheMoneyShot 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11889

Book learning in school is dry..... School text books are usually dated and often irrelevant in modern times.. Can maybe teach you the basics...

For example - I took all the business and accounting classes in college but never learned more about business then after college when I worked under a successful business man and or became friends with smart business people..

Started reading NY times best selling business books like - Rich dad poor dad, Art of deal, Richest man in Babylon, How to win friends and influence people, etc... all great books that you won't read in college or in schools..

Life lessons are best learned in real life and not through a dated text book... Just my opinion.. Street smarts can be your best teacher in other words but get your degree to fall back on... Can't hurt..

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

not worth it

can learn all you need at SBR and MISC

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Dont waste your youth gambling. Go to school, bang some coeds and get that paper. You'll be glad about it 20 years later, trust. Nothing worse than waking up in your mid 30's and realizing you've accomplished nothing beyond some gambling victories and your career consists of taking advantage of bad poker players or bad sports book lines. That means nothing more than being a degenerate, no matter how much profit you've pulled, to 99% of people out there.

I personally envy the guys who show up on the weekends and enjoy playing poker as a hobby compared to the other side of "needing" to win.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

Well... In my eyes (I have two bachelors degrees as i double majored in school) its worth it JUST because employers these day think it is.
    Anymore a degree basically just means that someone is able to learn efficiently in a certain field.

There are many jobs which I don't think a degree is worth the time or money. Simply start at bottom and work your ass off and prove you can learn and take on responsibility and your employer won't give a shit if you have a piece of paper or not.

Many specialized positions, they seem absolutely worth it. Like doctor (of any type), lawyer, etc.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

And I agree with people who say experience is way more beneficial. I've learned more in year or so in my professional career than I did through school.
    Nothing beats completely blowing an assignment and being taught what you did wrong.
    Real life is a bitch, and sooner we learn that in our career the better.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3521

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    If you're trying to be an entrepreneur... a degree isn't necessary.

But honestly... I've ran into a few acquaintances throughout my life. People who basically "bought" themselves a degree. If you have a 4 year degree out of any major college... such as Ohio State... Michigan etc... you're practically hired on the spot.

It's unfortunate that there are some savvy individuals.... who understand a game plan, a format, and have in-depth knowledge of a specific area... but your wage is based on a degree. It's flat out retarded.

There are some individuals who are more intelligent than people who have a degree... yet major companies want to see that 4-year major college degree.

I don't get it.
    Well said.

Ra77er

Needing to win to support a living has got to be impossible as pete and Im assuming Sharp is alluding too. I don't know how you could make it like that. Much better as a hobby imo.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

Without a bachelor's degree your resume will be in the garbage in 5 seconds if you are looking for a upper position. Many places won't even except your resume if you don't have a degree.

sjm5122
    sjm5122's Avatar Become A Pro!

Have an engineering degree from a BIG10 school. Was worth it, but I honestly use about 10% of what I learned in college. Was more to get my foot in the door in the industry I wanted. Also as others have said, it also depends heavily on what degree you are going to get and what school.

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10364

sjm makes a good point, it's basically to get your foot in the door or into the industry, after that in general it goes to the experience you acquire

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

all depends on the job and field like everyone else is saying. Going for a generic degree is useless, like business so broad and can mean so many things.

Add on the crazy student loans you will likely occur and not make even close to the money you should make in order to pay them off.

I'm living that life. I'm 25 and dropped out of college and still have student loans, not as much as some but still have some. However, i was motivated unlike most and knew I wasn't going to live at home and be a bum. I started selling cars in 2012 and 8 months ago became the youngest manager in the company going into finance. I have no degree to show for it but I have a 6 figure job and own a home at 25 from hard work and determination. It sounds cliche but its how I did it.

I know so many kids my age, a little older, or even younger still living at home, have dead end jobs and nothing to show from their degree. It only means something if you go for a specific purpose and continue to pursue that career.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: manny24

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by SamsNCharge99 View Post
    all depends on the job and field like everyone else is saying. Going for a generic degree is useless, like business so broad and can mean so many things.

Add on the crazy student loans you will likely occur and not make even close to the money you should make in order to pay them off.

I'm living that life. I'm 25 and dropped out of college and still have student loans, not as much as some but still have some. However, i was motivated unlike most and knew I wasn't going to live at home and be a bum. I started selling cars in 2012 and 8 months ago became the youngest manager in the company going into finance. I have no degree to show for it but I have a 6 figure job and own a home at 25 from hard work and determination. It sounds cliche but its how I did it.

I know so many kids my age, a little older, or even younger still living at home, have dead end jobs and nothing to show from their degree. It only means something if you go for a specific purpose and continue to pursue that career.
    You make 6 figures are a car lot as a newly hired manager?
    Do you live in an expensive area?

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

I did not get my degree and make more money than most college grads. My success is solely based on sales ability and track record.

So many doors have never been and never will be open to me because I don't have a degree. And I always wonder what could have been.

So, I think it is worth it, but only if you work hard once you have it. As an example, if you get a degree and get a job at Enterprise Car Rental, then no, it is not worth it. But if you graduate and then go to work for Goldman Sachs, then yes it is worth it.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

take the 100k or so you were going to hand over to some university over 4 years and buy a lincoln mutual 40 year annuity. then get the best job you can without the sheepskin. you get 4 extra years of income and at age 60 or so cash out annuity probably over 1m. or get a fake degree and try to palm it off on some unsuspecting company. very few even bother to verify and if one does move on to next. plenty of halfway decent jobs without a degree available if you look and act right.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Means nothing

no good paying jobs anymore unless super smart and most kids that go to college are fukkin idiots

Lets go to college and have lets say 100K debt at 23..yes I AM A FUKKIN IDIOT

Antibet
    Antibet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1565

OMG. Now I finally understand why Americans are so dumb and ignorant: they have to pay huge $ for their education, which many of them simply can't afford.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3521

Alot of kids go to College without a direction I find,sooner get loaded and f@ck broads.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

All these clowns are in debt and will never get out because job pays are small now

Computers took over

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16133

I got a degree through SBRs online program...the final exam was in Punta Cana last year.
    Points Awarded:

manny24 gave Booya711 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stealthyburrito

sjm5122
    sjm5122's Avatar Become A Pro!

One other thing my degree gives me is flexibility. If I don't like my job, I can leave because I know somewhere else will hire me. My degree + work experience will get me hired elsewhere if I want, even in a different field. I have an industrial engineering degree but have held a job in software dev and now as a mathematician.

But again, the most important thing is to make sure the money you are going to pay is worth the investment. Don't fork over tens or hundred of thousans for a communications degree or for some shvtty for profit school

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

Quote Originally Posted by THam12 View Post
    You make 6 figures are a car lot as a newly hired manager?
    Do you live in an expensive area?
    I live in upstate NY, we do 150 cars a month on average. i was selling cars and got promoted up, was 2nd top salesman in the company of 5 stores and top salesman in my store, so when I was promoted up, they guaranteed me pay which has been followed up.

You can make a lot of money selling cars if you are good at it.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    take the 100k or so you were going to hand over to some university over 4 years and buy a lincoln mutual 40 year annuity. then get the best job you can without the sheepskin. you get 4 extra years of income and at age 60 or so cash out annuity probably over 1m. or get a fake degree and try to palm it off on some unsuspecting company. very few even bother to verify and if one does move on to next. plenty of halfway decent jobs without a degree available if you look and act right.
    Noone at 18 has 100k laying around....

imadegen
    imadegen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9093

took me forever to get it, but it's worth it. you'll never not find work if you have one. it's a good safety net and you can always party and find girls along the way.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    All these clowns are in debt and will never get out because job pays are small now

Computers took over
    My school was paid for. No debt. And 2 degrees. I'm goooood

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by SamsNCharge99 View Post
    I live in upstate NY, we do 150 cars a month on average. i was selling cars and got promoted up, was 2nd top salesman in the company of 5 stores and top salesman in my store, so when I was promoted up, they guaranteed me pay which has been followed up.

You can make a lot of money selling cars if you are good at it.
    Okay that makes more sense. I needed to understand the living expenses to understand how you made that much.
    Sounds like you worked hard, good work brother.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

trade school

1234 Last