Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Mixed Martial Arts & Crafts

I finally decided to start my own thread. I don't know how much I'll be posting but hey it won't be any worse than some of the crap that's on here right?

You're welcome.
    Points Awarded:

Poppa Catfish gave Chairib 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

About time Chairib and look forward to some breakdowns! But please bare in mind that it is now a policy that the word "Can" must be used to describe any UFC fighter that you are referring to. Thank you.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    But please bare in mind that it is now a policy that the word "Can" must be used to describe any UFC fighter that you are referring to.
    Bonus points if you work "can" into their name.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by urge2kill View Post
    Bonus points if you work "can" into their name.
    Ah yes Mr Pride>UFC broke down barriers with the now infamous "CANderson Silva" witticism, it was absolutely ground-breaking and creates a whole new realm of possibilities. I tried to match his creativity with "CAN Miller" in my Wiman thread but failed to ignite the same spark, possibly because too many letters were rearranged which subsequently lead to it being too far-fetched. Need not worry though, Im 99% sure that a "LOCK OF THE MILLENIUM...MACHIDA IS GOING TO DESTROY CANdy COUTURE" thread is going to crop up in the next couple of weeks.

Also lookin forward to the soon to be released threads: "LOCK OF THE DECADE...WANDERLEI THE AXE MURDERER SILVA IS GOING TO KILL BRIAN THE ALL AMERICAN CANN" and "LOCK OF THE CENTURY...FEDOR IS GONNA SMASH CANTONIO "BIG CAN" SILVA.

Chairib

Okay, I'm gonna get something up here for all three of you guys

You're killing me Jordan.

jin2daj
    jin2daj's Avatar Become A Pro!

yves edwards vs cody mcCANzie.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Jordan is the Michael Jordan of MMA knowledge, and you know that Roy Jones Jr respects his typing.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Axe murderer kills Can stann.

ttrace35

This thread sux

Chairib

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    This thread sux
    You swallow but I aint crying about it.

Poppa Catfish
    Poppa Catfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 801

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    You swallow but I aint crying about it.
    Unfair to hold that against him. If you have seen his woman you would understand that it is awfully hard scavenging food at casa de Tracy.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    Unfair to hold that against him. If you have seen his woman you would understand that it is awfully hard scavenging food at casa de Tracy.
    Boris wears the trousers in Tracey's household!

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Willamy Freire vs Wayne Lowe is an interesting one. have to admit though, the film on Freire leaves a lot to be desired. Nova Uniao product with avg. striking. His last fight with Yusuke Endo is up on youtube.

currently leaning toward Freire by 3rd round submission but could just as easily see Lowe grinding out a decision with his wrestling.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post
    Willamy Freire vs Wayne Lowe is an interesting one. have to admit though, the film on Freire leaves a lot to be desired. Nova Uniao product with avg. striking. His last fight with Yusuke Endo is up on youtube.

currently leaning toward Freire by 3rd round submission but could just as easily see Lowe grinding out a decision with his wrestling.
    Yeah im thinking Freire may be able to catch him in a submission...put a small play on him at -106. Lowe gettin a boring decision is also very possible as u say, but from what I've seen of him he doesnt exactly have great control on the ground and leaves him self open at times and Freiere has shown that he's proficient in guillotines.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Catfish View Post
    If he seen my woman he would want to put away the mma stats and get a girlfriend

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    If he seen my woman he would want to put away the mma stats and get a girlfriend
    ha gd one Trace, well, would of been a good one had he been quoting mma stats!

Chairib

Damn, it's been a while folks. I apologize but my real life will take me away from MMA discussion at times.

How do people feel about the Davis/Lil Nog fight? I'm honestly a little shocked that Lil Nog is this much of an underdog here.

Phil Davis is part of the new breed of wrestlers I've seen pop up in MMA as of late. Phil Davis, Ben Askren, and Shane Roller are all fantastic wrestlers who have supplemented their freestyle/greco training with submission grappling (BJJ or NOGI) as well.

I watch Phil Davis fight and what stands out with his grappling from a MMA point of view, is how much of an emphasis is placed on maintaining top position. Everything, including the striking, is geared towards getting Phil to pass guard into either side control or the full mount as quickly as possible.

There is a clear progression in his grappling that connects specific techniques starting with wrist control and striking that eventually setup certain positions like side control and full mount. Watch his fight with Brian Stann, you'll be able to pick up on some of them. Mario Sperry's Jiu Jitsu for MMA worked upon similar lines and it was something he learned from Carlson Gracie.

While the striking is limited to ground and pound, the idea is the fighter on top will throw as many elbows and punches he can. Of course, the emphasis on position will limit the damage of these blows. Simply put, you're not going to have much room to posture up and strike. So it is crucial these strikes are delivered from a fighter who has passed guard and is in side control or full mount.

That's a big assumption right there.

How many of you guys remember Shane Roller's fight with Anthony Pettis?

ttrace35

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Damn, it's been a while folks. I apologize but my real life will take me away from MMA discussion at times.

How do people feel about the Davis/Lil Nog fight? I'm honestly a little shocked that Lil Nog is this much of an underdog here.

Phil Davis is part of the new breed of wrestlers I've seen pop up in MMA as of late. Phil Davis, Ben Askren, and Shane Roller are all fantastic wrestlers who have supplemented their freestyle/greco training with submission grappling (BJJ or NOGI) as well.

I watch Phil Davis fight and what stands out with his grappling from a MMA point of view, is how much of an emphasis is placed on maintaining top position. Everything, including the striking, is geared towards getting Phil to pass guard into either side control or the full mount as quickly as possible.

There is a clear progression in his grappling that connects specific techniques starting with wrist control and striking that eventually setup certain positions like side control and full mount. Watch his fight with Brian Stann, you'll be able to pick up on some of them. Mario Sperry's Jiu Jitsu for MMA worked upon similar lines and it was something he learned from Carlson Gracie.

While the striking is limited to ground and pound, the idea is the fighter on top will throw as many elbows and punches he can. Of course, the emphasis on position will limit the damage of these blows. Simply put, you're not going to have much room to posture up and strike. So it is crucial these strikes are delivered from a fighter who has passed guard and is in side control or full mount.

That's a big assumption right there.

How many of you guys remember Shane Roller's fight with Anthony Pettis?
    Damn, gd to have u back Chairib! U make good points...and yes I remember the Roller fight too well as I had money on him

Chairib

Damn, gd to have u back Chairib! U make good points...and yes I remember the Roller fight too well as I had money on him
    Roller initially got the takedown but once he got stuck in Pettis' guard, his entire offense got shutdown. I think there is a chance that Davis might have the same problem with Lil Nog. I'm really interested in seeing how Davis' groundgame stacks up against a legitimate BJJ blackbelt. The competition in the UFC up till now, hasn't been too challenging for him. And what he's been able to get away with in the past, may not fly tonight.

Also, Lil Nog is extremely talented at sweeping opponents from the half-guard. Unless Davis gets ultraconservative, I think Lil Nog baits Phil into passing the guard just so he can sweep. If Davis has trouble taking and keeping Lil Nog down, I could see him getting KO'd tonight. His stand up isn't that good at all.

illmatick
    Update your status

Roller initially got the takedown but once he got stuck in Pettis' guard, his entire offense got shutdown. I think there is a chance that Davis might have the same problem with Lil Nog. I'm really interested in seeing how Davis' groundgame stacks up against a legitimate BJJ blackbelt. The competition in the UFC up till now, hasn't been too challenging for him. And what he's been able to get away with in the past, may not fly tonight. Also, Lil Nog is extremely talented at sweeping opponents from the half-guard. Unless Davis gets ultraconservative, I think Lil Nog baits Phil into passing the guard just so he can sweep. If Davis has trouble taking and keeping Lil Nog down, I could see him getting KO'd tonight. His stand up isn't that good at all.

Deep half guard sweep FTW? still waiting to pull the trigger on this one. chances are I'll have a small action play on the "Nog inside the distance" prop.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/9/21...s-brilz-part-1

good to see you back playa.

Chairib

Quote Originally Posted by illmatick View Post

Deep half guard sweep FTW? still waiting to pull the trigger on this one. chances are I'll have a small action play on the "Nog inside the distance" prop.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/9/21...s-brilz-part-1

good to see you back playa.
    Good to be back my man

Jordan23
    Jordan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

You're killing me Chairib

Chairib

This is a work in progress but I wanted to get some of my initial thoughts down for UFC 129.

Jake Shields vs GSP

There's one issue that presented itself early when I started breaking down film on GSP and Jake Shields.

Can you stop Jake's single leg? You stop that and you're on your way to stopping Jake Shields.

He's a wrestler with a strong foundation in BJJ. Sound familiar? Yes if there are comparisons to be made, his style is similar to a Ben Askren or Phil Davis. They are all about passing the guard, getting full mount, and maintaining top position. And they're all predicitable as hell in that regard. POSITION HOG JIU-JITSU. But to get there, Jake's entire game is predicated on getting that single leg takedown.

Will he strike? Yes but it's just enough to keep the other guy honest. His stand up reminds me a lot of an early Tito Ortiz. It's clear he is not comfortable with it and he is definitely scared of getting hit. You watch his exchanges and it is all about closing the distance and getting the clinch or takedown. His hands are really all over the place, he'll just leave them out there with his head exposed, even worse he'll close his eyes. That "A Frame" guard is a little painful to watch to be honest.

Certain fighters have made him pay for that lack of discipline, most recently Dan Henderson. I'll give Jake some credit he does have a good chin because he got blasted in that first round.

If he loses confidence or just gets frustrated with his strikes, he'll just stop using them and go for the takedown. Unfortunately, not setting up his takedowns with strikes causes him to start his shoot early and/or way outside. Either way, he's telegraphing and that intial shoot becomes easy to spot as well as defend against.

Jake is tenacious with his takedowns and even if he does get stuffed, he'll keep battling for it. Something that you don't see even with acomplished wrestlers in MMA, a lot guys will look to disengage and start all over again.

Like I said earlier Jake's BJJ is position hog. Will he go for submissions? Yes but only when he's positive the opponent can't hurt him. So guys like Nick Thompson or Paul Daley will get tapped. Otherwise, he's all about maximizing positional advantage and riding clock. Conservative as all hell.

People get on GSP for riding out decisions? Obviously they're not familiar with Jake Sheids. GSP will take you down, stay in your guard, and beat you up with his ground and pound. Jake will go for the takedown work to full mount and lay on you for 3 to 5 rounds.

One thing about Shields that bugs the living hell out of me, is that he loves to look busy for the judges but doesn't actually try to finish the fight.

Again, take a look at the fight with Henderson. I don't know what I found more disturbing here: Dan's clearly limited grappling or how conservative and ineffective Jake's top game is. Or should I say, it's clear Jake's BJJ is suited more towards sports than it is MMA. This fight reminded me a lot of Dan's previous fight against Rampage Jackson. In both fights Dan was in control early on but once he got tired it allowed his opponent to dictate where fight would go. But make no mistake he was very close to stopping Jake in that first round.

But I'm digressing here, Dan couldn't defend the full mount. Specifically, he didn't really know what to do once Jake got it. Maybe it was symptomatic of his conditioning level or general knowledge level. As a wrestler Dan's spent very little time on his back and his MMA development over the years has been focused on the striking aspect of his game. Simply put, Dan looked clueless on his back. He really didn't try to sweep, or even buck his hips when Jake would strike. He tried to shrimp and get back to guard but even that was really awakward. Still, Jake's ground and pound is weak. Again, he's all about scoring points and looking busy for the judges. It's why Dan could get away with basically just covering his head most of the time. Sure Sheilds was throwing punches but they did very little damage. There's really no other way I can explain that fight going the full five rounds other thant that. Jake could have finished Dan as early as round two but chose not to.

More to come.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Inpressive work

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

Quote Originally Posted by terpkeg View Post
    Inpressive work
    Indeed.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

This is more like it Chairib

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

i think the 5 round distance favors gsp big time...

that said,this(imo)is thee best grappler that gsp has faced(yes,better than koscheck and sherk)......and the biggest.....gsp has better tools....but shields just may be a better grappler....

i expect gsp to keep it standing early and try and tire shields by shucking takedowns....what chairb said about shields fighting for takedowns in bad takedown situations is probably why he`s gassed in some fights...

i hope it goes to the ground early...i actually want to see some top level/world-class grappling from two of the best in the game.....

xelance
    xelance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

great job, thanks for the read

xelance

just watched Henderson vs Shields again, and I agree with all of your points, especially his single leg takedowns. His striking from the ground is pretty accurate, but he puts no power whatsoever into those punches...it is basically to frustrate his opponent and make them do something stupid to try to get out of guard. The more I watched the fight, the more I wondered how anybody in their right mind could pick Shields to win this fight. The only way Shields can win this fight is by decision, and I believe GSP has better conditioning/training, so I still favor GSP in that aspect. His striking and leg kicks are both extremely slow, and thus are not effective against a quick, accurate fighter like GSP. He does have a good chin though, so my prediction of GSP via tko may be waning a little because we all know Hendo has much more power than GSP so we could see a decision win here for sure. If it is via tko, it is coming from GSP stuffing single legs, keeping it standing, and peppering Shields with accurate jabs and hoping a bigger one floors Shields and GSP goes for the kill with accurate ground and pound. I will be looking at all GSP props and maybe go for a Machida/ GSP parlay..once again, great analysis.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

I like how people are referring to the Okami fight as an example of the level of competition Shields has beaten! Was a massive robbery and he had about 10 failed takedowns and jus hugged Okami's leg for 75% of the time!

xelance

I like how people are referring to the Okami fight as an example of the level of competition Shields has beaten! Was a massive robbery and he had about 10 failed takedowns and jus hugged Okami's leg for 75% of the time!
    amen to that...not to mention his last fight against Kampmann. I may be the odd one out on this one, but I thought Kampmann got robbed in that fight as well.

Chairib

Okay which one of you losers is this?

illmatick
    Update your status

watched it yesterday, had me rollin. God bless Norm Mcdonald.

Chairib

Is that a first time slammer? That's my new line to everyone now.

1234 ... Last