MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Dave Mirra Committed Suicide

Never really into BMX and all the X Games type stuff, but I definitely knew of Mirra. Sad that anyone would commit suicide.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16
    FlipsideRM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3216

Crazy, dude was just posting on Instagram 3 hours ago

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Crazy. That guy was an X-Games BMX Legend. Loved watching him. I met him at Woodward, Pa when we were teens in the late 80's.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Only 41 and no sign of signs, not that there weren't any. This seems a little odd and I wonder if he's had a few concussions. Maybe depression from being a "former" great. Who knows.

RIP.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Cte was my thought kvb when I first heard it. You think nflers get hit? This guys probably been thru the ringer with all those falls

Kermit

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

very unfortunate

Kermit

They are saying that he shot himself in his truck.

R.I.P. Dave.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by FlipsideRM View Post
    Cte was my thought kvb when I first heard it. You think nflers get hit? This guys probably been thru the ringer with all those falls
    And just get up and do it again, trying to get it right, just like when we were kids.

No protocol, no nothing.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    And just get up and do it again, trying to get it right, just like when we were kids.

No protocol, no nothing.
    yeah those guys are fuking Warriors

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

What would provoke you to take your own life? Never understood this?

SBRMAN23
    Be humble sit down
    SBRMAN23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1448

Damn thats crazy havent heard about him in awhile and time really flies didnt knw he was 41 shyt RIP

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    What would provoke you to take your own life? Never understood this?
    Mental illness number one, caused by many things. Some problems develop in the 30's and 40's and maybe that, combined with esteem issues with no longer being in the limelight.

At that moment it can be impossible to tell. I wonder if there were signs or if he had left a note.

Robin Williams battled for years and fianlly succumbed.

You never know.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Scary shit man. Suicide not the answer

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

Just selfish, I am sure his life was so bad he couldn't live anymore, now not only did he take the cowards way out he now most likely has ruined his family and close friends lives as well. I have zero sympathy for this no matter what anyone is going through.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Wears a helmet to protect his head from falls while doing risky rides but commits suicide. Only in America.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave pavyracer 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Kermit

Mirra posted this before he shot himself. Makes no sense.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBYDQ_YvY2h/

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    Just selfish, I am sure his life was so bad he couldn't live anymore, now not only did he take the cowards way out he now most likely has ruined his family and close friends lives as well. I have zero sympathy for this no matter what anyone is going through.
    I imagine you'd say the same about war vets.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    I imagine you'd say the same about war vets.
    ANYONE who does this, I thought I made that pretty clear

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    ANYONE who does this, I thought I made that pretty clear
    Sound pretty young bro or not that many life experiences? Just think if somebody commits suicide they more than likely have been hurting a long time, have sought help that didnt actually help them, and didnt see their situation getting better. Not like life circumstances but mental health wise, usually a person brain has gone through changes. His brain could have gone through quite a bit from past concussions. Now for those rich guys who dont have physical ailments and lose their money and decide to end it all that seems more selfish. There are alot of military guys every day who commit suicide, their brain has changed in some way, I cant judge them, I feel life has to be miserable for someone feel they have to resort to suicide. My brother is retired Marine now but I remember when I was about 23 he had already did at least 2 tours in Iraq and he voiced to me personally that sometimes he's thought about suicide, luckily that never happened. There are alot of soldiers who go through that. A guy like Junior Seau there are guys like that also.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PittsburghPlayer

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Mirra posted this before he shot himself. Makes no sense.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBYDQ_YvY2h/
    Almost a little shady, seems a little strange on the public face of it but I don't know any details. For all I know someone close has come out saying he was depressed.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20469

Suicide. A permanent solution to a temporary problem. Sad.

TheMoneyShot

Mental illness number one, caused by many things. Some problems develop in the 30's and 40's and maybe that, combined with esteem issues with no longer being in the limelight.

At that moment it can be impossible to tell. I wonder if there were signs or if he had left a note.

Robin Williams battled for years and fianlly succumbed.

You never know.
    Robin Williams I don't get it.

Chris Benoit

I just don't get it. Has to be financial reasons... feeling you can't come through anymore? Not a reason to take your life though.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Nobody should judge about people suffering from severe depression.
    Had 2 friends struggling with it. One is dead and one is doing well now.
    It doesn't matter if guys like unde think it is selfish or whatever, because they have absolutely zero idea what it is like.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Robin Williams I don't get it.

Chris Benoit

I just don't get it. Has to be financial reasons... feeling you can't come through anymore? Not a reason to take your life though.
    Pal, of course you don't get it. How could you possibly "get it" when it comes to a mental state you never experienced before?
    Financial reasons? Not at all. Ever heard of Robert Enke?

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Zizou is right and Money it makes sense not to get it. We're not talking about people who've had a bad day or just feel a little down, lost their job and feel financial weight, we're talking about being to the point of taking your own life.

True, there are those who have built a life and a job loss, financial hit, jail time, etc. jeopardizes what they know, they sink so low, and sometimes commit suicide. Some of these people may very well be cowards, taking an easy way out or not realizing how temporary the problems are.

But the vast majority are in a whole seperate frame of mind. Sometimes the difference between life and death is a medication...a simple chemical interchange for which not even faith can be a substitute.

Mirrapro
    Mirrapro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 531

Brutal. (hence the username) Loved watching the guy ride.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

He can make his own decisions, but when kids are involved, he's a selfish bastard that's not as "strong" as many people thought. Many people feel depressed etc....but the kids need a dad.....

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Everytime I feel depressed about life (lots of tragedies, poor health,etc), I think of my 2 year old and fight the bad feeling because he's all I need in this life. The only way I wouldn't judge Mirra is if he had CTE.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stefan084

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Zizou is right and Money it makes sense not to get it. We're not talking about people who've had a bad day or just feel a little down, lost their job and feel financial weight, we're talking about being to the point of taking your own life.

True, there are those who have built a life and a job loss, financial hit, jail time, etc. jeopardizes what they know, they sink so low, and sometimes commit suicide. Some of these people may very well be cowards, taking an easy way out or not realizing how temporary the problems are.

But the vast majority are in a whole seperate frame of mind. Sometimes the difference between life and death is a medication...a simple chemical interchange for which not even faith can be a substitute.

This. And nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    He can make his own decisions, but when kids are involved, he's a selfish bastard that's not as "strong" as many people thought. Many people feel depressed etc....but the kids need a dad.....
    Again, you don't get it, and of course you don't. And there is a big difference between "feeling depressed" and above. And just btw: in fact, most of them are not selfish at all. You say the kids need a dad. That is not the way they feel. In fact most of them think that they are a burden for their loved ones, they are the problem.
    Robert Enke commited suicide with jumping in front of a train. And yes, I gotta admit: My first thought back then was "what an asshole, didn't he think about the poor guy driving the train that ran him over??" And guess what: No, most likely he didn't think of him at all. They are in a totally different state of mind when it comes to this.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    Everytime I feel depressed about life (lots of tragedies, poor health,etc), I think of my 2 year old and fight the bad feeling because he's all I need in this life. The only way I wouldn't judge Mirra is if he had CTE.
    Yes, but that is the difference between "feeling depressed" because of A, B, C (death, finances, job, being old, not having a partner, whatever) and a medical condition that sits deep in your brain. You are ABLE to think of your 2 year old and fight back out of feeling a little (or a little more) depressed. And those people can't. They simply can't, and not because they are pussys or whatever.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

In my opinion if you give CTE a pass, then you must show respect for clinical depression...why choose one brain problem over another?
    Points Awarded:

Cuse0323 gave KVB 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Had a good friend that I was talking with on a Sunday a couple years ago. We were talking about catching a MANU game in England sometime soon. He shot himself the next day in his house and his fiancée found him.

Zero clue that he was suicidal...there are not always signs. I equate it to being a functional alcoholic...hiding the symptoms from everyone.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave Booya711 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Sad. I thought he was a cool guy.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by zizoudane10 View Post
    Pal, of course you don't get it. How could you possibly "get it" when it comes to a mental state you never experienced before?
    Financial reasons? Not at all. Ever heard of Robert Enke?
    My point is... why kill yourself at 41? Why not kill yourself at 31? If it's already a chemical imbalance or whatever?

You don't think we all have rough days? When you want to bash your head into a brick wall... I'm being serious.

There are several things that would cause a chemical imbalance in the brain... drug use... stress, alcohol... everything.

If you kill yourself... it was apparently your destiny. Nothing more. Nothing less.

12 Last