View New Posts
123
  • Thread Tools
  1. #1
    whareouttogetme
    whareouttogetme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-26-10
    Posts: 1,238
    Betpoints: 790

    Should you always play by the book in Blackjack?

    I've started playing Blackjack recently, and have seen lots of sites on the internet advising when to hit and when to stand

    sometimes when I'm playing, I don't feel right about certain plays, like if I have a 6, and the dealer has 7-10 I still have that feeling I'll go bust and I don't hit

    but I'm just wondering, in the long run, will playing by the book give you an advantage because it goes by which play gives you the better odds of winning (or not losing in some cases)?

    although I suppose at the end of the day it's still just luck and this question is probably irrelevant, but I'm just curious if anybody here has played Blackjack for a long time, and as to whether they bothered playing by the book or not?

  2. #2
    yisman
    yisman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-01-08
    Posts: 59,400
    Betpoints: 6247

    Yes, playing by the book gives you the best chance and minimizes the house edge.

    All the numbers have been crunched and standard play blackjack chart is readily available.

    example
    640pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 6/28/2014

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/25/2014

    60pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY11th Place 8/28/2014

    600pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 8/25/2014

    150pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY7th Place 8/27/2014

    400pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY2nd Place 8/21/2014

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/28/2014

    400pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY2nd Place 8/19/2014

    $30
    Charity
    donation 1/23/2014

    150pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY7th Place 8/26/2014


  3. #3
    Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-01-09
    Posts: 7,135
    Betpoints: 2030

    Just plays craps. House edge is very low. You can win over long haul if you can find a rythm roller/sharp shooter.

  4. #4
    JohnGalt2341
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-31-09
    Posts: 2,986
    Betpoints: 16670

    As a former BlackJack Dealer my first advice is not to play at all unless you don't mind slowly losing your money. If you're just playing for recreation you should ALWAYS hit a Soft 17 no matter what the dealer has. Also, are you playing online or at a Casino? If you are playing at a real Casino there are things you can do to increase your edge.

    If you are looking to make money playing BlackJack try this experiment first... find a site online where you can play for free. Get a copy of the chart that Yisman suggested. Play by it. You'll have the chart memorized in no time. Play at least a 1000 hands. Flat bet the same amount every hand. See if you are ahead or down after 1000 hands. If you are ahead I would be shocked. In fact I predict that you will win around 42% of your hands. Double Downs and and BlackJacks(1 out every 21 hands approximately) will make up for this a little bit but you'll still be down more than likely. You'll save yourself hundreds if not thousands of dollars doing it this way first.
    40pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY12th Place 8/26/2014


  5. #5
    Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-11
    Posts: 13,673
    Betpoints: 772

    i always play by the book when i used to play blackjack in the casino. i didnt care what it was. My last 500.00 dollars to my name. if i had 16 and the dealer had 10 up i hit. playing on hunch will win you a hand here and there but over the long haul playing BJ by the book i think is the only way to go. that being said. casino games are for suckers. you cant win. it is 100% impossible. That is how they build those skyscrapers in vegas. off casino games. thats why i stopped playing them.

  6. #6
    sweethook
    hes one of us
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-21-07
    Posts: 7,416
    Betpoints: 4101

    100% no , in live casino play. i hit maybe 6 or 8 hands outa 100 , i play 1st or 2nd and stand , stand, stand on bust hands , 40 % or better of the time the dealer dont have a face card under the face card try it

  7. #7
    falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-05-10
    Posts: 3,398
    Betpoints: 2229

    By the book= mathematical chance of winning. Any other way= theoretical way of winning

  8. #8
    philswin
    philswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-18-07
    Posts: 1,279
    Betpoints: 288

    Yes unless you are counting cards, why give the casino a bigger house edge.

  9. #9
    harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-02-09
    Posts: 7,113
    Betpoints: 24

    Quote Originally Posted by sweethook View Post
    100% no , in live casino play. i hit maybe 6 or 8 hands outa 100 , i play 1st or 2nd and stand , stand, stand on bust hands , 40 % or better of the time the dealer dont have a face card under the face card try it
    My objective is to get a no brainer or let the dealer bust. The dealer will bust as many times as the player, but you will never know if you bust out first. I have been playing for years and have my own system, but it only works right when others are playing by the book.

    #1 I only play double deck BJ 3:2 on BJ and try to find a table with deep penetration.

    I usually hit 12, or 13 vs 17 or better

    50/50 on 14 vs 17 or better

    and probably 20/80 on 15 or 16 vs 17 or better.

    A lot depends on the shoe. I don't count cards so to speak but I pay real close attention.



    One other thing if playing on 6:5 BJ

    When I BJ against a dealer 5 or 6 showing I will double down. Some say crazy, but my philosophy is if I had 11 vs dealer 5 or 6 I would double down 100% of the time. I will take a chance for 2:1 payout in this situation vs 6:5. Again it depends on the shoe. It's a calculated risk.
    Last edited by harlee71; 08-11-11 at 07:35 PM.

  10. #10
    Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-01-10
    Posts: 1,558
    Betpoints: 387

    Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Just plays craps. House edge is very low. You can win over long haul if you can find a rythm roller/sharp shooter.
    Hahahahahaha. Yeah, dice is easy just find a hot shooter. That usually beats the math.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: eidolon

  11. #11
    InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-23-09
    Posts: 23,991
    Betpoints: 526

    i'd like someone smarter than me to figure out the odds of a dealer bust with 7-up vs. my 16. i'm convinced your chances of winning the hand are just as good standing on 16 but then again i'm usually shitfaced when i'm playing

    $30
    Charity
    donation 12/18/2013

    $30
    Charity
    donation 12/4/2013

    $30
    Charity
    donation 9/3/2013

    $30
    Charity
    donation 12/16/2013

    $30
    Charity
    donation 12/17/2013


  12. #12
    philswin
    philswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-18-07
    Posts: 1,279
    Betpoints: 288

    Statistically - If you stand on 16 vs 7 you will will the hand 26 percent of the time, if you hit you will win 27 percent of the time

  13. #13
    InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-23-09
    Posts: 23,991
    Betpoints: 526

    Quote Originally Posted by philswin View Post
    Statistically - If you stand on 16 vs 7 you will will the hand 26 percent of the time, if you hit you will win 27 percent of the time
    well at least i was close

    it feels like 8% vs 9%

    $30
    Charity
    donation 12/18/2013

    $30
    Charity
    donation 12/4/2013

    $30
    Charity
    donation 9/3/2013

    $30
    Charity
    donation 12/16/2013

    $30
    Charity
    donation 12/17/2013


  14. #14
    Poker_Beast
    Poker_Beast's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-14-06
    Posts: 6,355
    Betpoints: 10056

    I play very similar to this and have for 14 years with a lot of success. I think the main thing is play consistent otherwise you are always taking a hit or staying at the wrong time. One thing I have noticed is automatic shufflers = greater house edge imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by harlee71 View Post
    My objective is to get a no brainer or let the dealer bust. The dealer will bust as many times as the player, but you will never know if you bust out first. I have been playing for years and have my own system, but it only works right when others are playing by the book.

    #1 I only play double deck BJ 3:2 on BJ and try to find a table with deep penetration.

    I usually hit 12, or 13 vs 17 or better

    50/50 on 14 vs 17 or better

    and probably 20/80 on 15 or 16 vs 17 or better.

    A lot depends on the shoe. I don't count cards so to speak but I pay real close attention.



    One other thing if playing on 6:5 BJ

    When I BJ against a dealer 5 or 6 showing I will double down. Some say crazy, but my philosophy is if I had 11 vs dealer 5 or 6 I would double down 100% of the time. I will take a chance for 2:1 payout in this situation vs 6:5. Again it depends on the shoe. It's a calculated risk.
    600pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 8/22/2014

    400pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY2nd Place 8/25/2014


  15. #15
    philswin
    philswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-18-07
    Posts: 1,279
    Betpoints: 288

    Very small difference if you are going to go against the book, this is a hand to do it on. If you do hit 5 of the 13 cards will improve your hand and put you in a position to usually win.

  16. #16
    harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-02-09
    Posts: 7,113
    Betpoints: 24

    Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    i'd like someone smarter than me to figure out the odds of a dealer bust with 7-up vs. my 16. i'm convinced your chances of winning the hand are just as good standing on 16 but then again i'm usually shitfaced when i'm playing

    Again, I am all for letting the dealer bust. Also, I only play double deck so it is very easy to keep an eye on the card count. That makes the decision to hit or stay a little easier to guess.

    I look at it this way. The dealer will have to hit if the under card is anything except ace or face A,j,q,k, and the only cards that can help me are A,2,3,4,5 and 6,7,8,9,10,j,q,k and I bust. The smart gamble here is to risk the dealer not having A or face.

  17. #17
    firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-02-10
    Posts: 3,571
    Betpoints: 30

    I usually do fairly well at BJ. I don't count cards but I do keep an eye out on the amount of face cards are on the table. If there's been deals with alot of low cards I'll increase my bet. I also believe in letting the dealer beat me rather than beating myself by busting. If dealer shows 3-6 and I have 13-17 I'll stand. I also increase by bet size until I lose a hand, then start over. It also helps to play at a table where people know how to play. If you have someone hitting when they shouldn't be, it screws up the deck IMO. It may just be suspicion on my part but it's how I play. I also sit on the corners always.

  18. #18
    ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-23-09
    Posts: 25,103
    Betpoints: 74

    i never hit on 16 ever, and alot of times won't hit on 15

  19. #19
    yisman
    yisman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-01-08
    Posts: 59,400
    Betpoints: 6247

    yeah 16 vs. 7 I've always been hesitant to hit on. I do it because the chart says so, but I figured with the chances of bust being so high and with the dealer having a decent chance at busting...

    turns out it's basically the same thing.
    640pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 6/28/2014

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/25/2014

    60pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY11th Place 8/28/2014

    600pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 8/25/2014

    150pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY7th Place 8/27/2014

    400pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY2nd Place 8/21/2014

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/28/2014

    400pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY2nd Place 8/19/2014

    $30
    Charity
    donation 1/23/2014

    150pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY7th Place 8/26/2014


  20. #20
    ballahollic2
    ballahollic2's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-30-10
    Posts: 901
    Betpoints: 13586

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    As a former BlackJack Dealer my first advice is not to play at all unless you don't mind slowly losing your money. If you're just playing for recreation you should ALWAYS hit a Soft 17 no matter what the dealer has. Also, are you playing online or at a Casino? If you are playing at a real Casino there are things you can do to increase your edge.

    If you are looking to make money playing BlackJack try this experiment first... find a site online where you can play for free. Get a copy of the chart that Yisman suggested. Play by it. You'll have the chart memorized in no time. Play at least a 1000 hands. Flat bet the same amount every hand. See if you are ahead or down after 1000 hands. If you are ahead I would be shocked. In fact I predict that you will win around 42% of your hands. Double Downs and and BlackJacks(1 out every 21 hands approximately) will make up for this a little bit but you'll still be down more than likely. You'll save yourself hundreds if not thousands of dollars doing it this way first.

    very true... I wish i never got started playing to begin with

    World
    Poker
    Cup 1st place


  21. #21
    lentel
    Update your status
    lentel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-03-11
    Posts: 22
    Betpoints: 78

    i think the rule applies more to live dealer play, with online casinos I have seen weird things happen too many times

  22. #22
    chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-07-10
    Posts: 1,378
    Betpoints: 280

    It always upsets the other players but every now and then it's fun (and sometimes profitable) to play "no bust" BJ. That is you NEVER hit a breaking hand no matter what the dealer up card is. The dealer breaks like 28% of the time so if you are betting progressively and you make the dealer beat you it's possible to have a winning session every now and then. Again though, get ready to hear the wrath of other players when you don't hit when you should and the dealer gets that baby card that should have been yours.

  23. #23
    harlee71
    harlee71's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-02-09
    Posts: 7,113
    Betpoints: 24

    I can tell you how to double your money quick with online blackjack in 3 easy steps.

    1) Hold your money in your hand.
    2) Fold your money over in half.
    3) Put it back in your pocket.

  24. #24
    Doug
    Doug's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 6,322

    play by the the book always, alter strategy if counting, but that is still playing by the book ( the card counter's book).
    Hitting a 16 vs. a ten is a wash. Slightly better to hit if not counting. If counting hit if negative, stand if positive.

    The specific situations brought up so far are the ones that are so close it doesn't much matter. You can't stand on stuff like 12 vs. a ten for fear of busting, you just have to trust the book.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  25. #25
    Waterstpub87
    Life-Style Arbitrage
    Waterstpub87's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-09-09
    Posts: 1,866
    Betpoints: 264

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
    Hahahahahaha. Yeah, dice is easy just find a hot shooter. That usually beats the math.
    If your being sarcastic, you are wrong. Dice influence is real. I've made plenty of people into believers when I routinely have 17 roll hands, hitting the six and eight 4 times each.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/28/2014


  26. #26
    BiTeMe UsAdOj
    I see Dead Posters
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-18-11
    Posts: 3,635
    Betpoints: 6939

    600pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 8/20/2014

    300pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY3rd Place 8/12/2014

    SBR
    Resort
    Winner 1,519

    300pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY3rd Place 8/25/2014

    SBR
    Resort
    Winner 1,509

    Ring Games Winner
    600pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 8/22/2014

    600pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 8/8/2014

    World
    Poker
    Cup 1st place


  27. #27
    warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-29-08
    Posts: 13,702

    Ive played countless hours of blackjack and I can tell you right now this is a tricky question...

    If you are going to play by the book, you will lose a little bit. If you don't play by the book, you may lose even more, or win a little bit, you gotta be lucky..

    Its possible to win playing blackjack playing by the book in the short run. But eventually the house edge and being the slight underdog in every hand (mainly because you have to hit first) will catch up with you

  28. #28
    vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-21-10
    Posts: 2,212
    Betpoints: 24

    i play blackjack everyday in vegas. its a big money maker. so fast and clean. fuk everything else. .

  29. #29
    vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-21-10
    Posts: 2,212
    Betpoints: 24

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    i never hit on 16 ever, and alot of times won't hit on 15


    i hope. if u play like that.

  30. #30
    warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-29-08
    Posts: 13,702

    believe it or not, I have entertained the notion that never hitting on 16 may be +EV

    look at it this way.... you hit on 16 you are hoping for a 5 or less

    why not just hope the dealer has a 6 or less under, and then they have to hit

  31. #31
    warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-29-08
    Posts: 13,702

    But of course yes a lot of times I do hit 16 when the dealer is showing a card capable of pillaging me

  32. #32
    vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-21-10
    Posts: 2,212
    Betpoints: 24

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    i never hit on 16 ever, and alot of times won't hit on 15

    have you ever lost 15 to a 16? if its six card max deal. ?

  33. #33
    sweethook
    hes one of us
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-21-07
    Posts: 7,416
    Betpoints: 4101

    Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    believe it or not, I have entertained the notion that never hitting on 16 may be +EV

    look at it this way.... you hit on 16 you are hoping for a 5 or less

    why not just hope the dealer has a 6 or less under, and then they have to hit
    100%

  34. #34
    yisman
    yisman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-01-08
    Posts: 59,400
    Betpoints: 6247

    Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post

    Its possible to win playing blackjack playing by the book in the short run. But eventually the house edge and being the slight underdog in every hand (mainly because you have to hit first) will catch up with you
    You can play however you like and eventually the house edge will catch up with you. Playing by the book minimizes what you will lose in the long run.

    Having to decide first is a huge disadvantage.
    640pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 6/28/2014

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/25/2014

    60pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY11th Place 8/28/2014

    600pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 8/25/2014

    150pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY7th Place 8/27/2014

    400pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY2nd Place 8/21/2014

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/28/2014

    400pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY2nd Place 8/19/2014

    $30
    Charity
    donation 1/23/2014

    150pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY7th Place 8/26/2014


  35. #35
    wquine
    sik cynt
    wquine's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-30-09
    Posts: 834
    Betpoints: 507

    someone said they never hit on a 16?! what if the dealer shows a 7?

123 Last
Top