whareouttogetme
    whareouttogetme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4195

Is it normal for tennis players to play twice in a day?

Petko played about 6 hours ago, and now she's playing a doubles match again? Isn't fatigue an issue?

Hardcoar
    Curious Nick and Tenacious Kokk
    Hardcoar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4615

If a player elects to enter both singles and doubles, yes – very normal.

Fatigue is not much of an issue in doubles generally speaking, and I wouldn't be worried in Petkovic's case. She's one of the three fittest players on tour IMO.

SirtySree
    SirtySree's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

They usually play their doubles match like an hour after their singles match so 6 hours is actually a lot more than normal and must have got lucky with the scheduling.

For singles, players usually play 2 matches within a 3 hour gap for qualifiers. Also if there are rain delays with whole days wiped out, they usually end up playing 2 matches within a few hours as well.

Fatigue is always overrated. There are so many newbies on ITF that play almost everyday for a whole month and they are fine, including the occasional 2 matches in 1 day.

Hardcoar

Indeed, in this case the reason is the withdrawal of Jankovic which caused the night's feature to become a walkover, prompting the doubles replacement.

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Playing doubles is nothing
    You barely work up a sweat unless you struggle serving and work yourself
    Lots of downtime and circle jerking
    points are very fast

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Welcome to tennis.

Dmoneytx
    Dmoneytx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 566

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    Playing doubles is nothing
    You barely work up a sweat unless you struggle serving and work yourself
    Lots of downtime and circle jerking
    points are very fast
    Lol. I'm pretty sure, almost positive, that you don't or have never played tennis before. lol. Doubles is nothing.. That was funny..

FYI. Those guys & gals work their asses off playing doubles usually. Everyone on the doubles court is soaking wet. Lol. Doubles is nothing. That was funny

Hardcoar

As much as you are right, D'Mo, relatively speaking fatigue isn't at all as much of an issue in doubles as in singles; naturally playing double duty might have a compounding effect...

Dmoneytx
    Dmoneytx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 566

I agree with the fatigue issue not being a huge factor. I absolutely agree doubles is nothing like singles as far as effort output is concerned. BUT to say doubles is "nothing"? Like they don't work hard or sweat like crazy is ludicrous. Lol. ALL 4 doubles player on ATP level are all completely soaked by first few games of the match. All of them.
    That's why I found that comment really amusing

And it does take it's toll playing two events in a tment. The mornings get a little harder to get up perky bec the body starts to feel soreness. It's not massive when they add doubles, but why do you think a lot of the top pros drop out of doubles late into a tment?? It's bec they know they need to have everything in the tank for their singles come late in a tment. They know the extra playing will prob hurt them if they have won in the singles & are doing really well. That's why u see those withdraws sometimes in the dubs.

I just find it funny that some people make these statements on tennis & how it affects the body and they have prob never played tennis at a high level before or played at all for that matter. Lol, only on an online sports forum I guess, lol - priceless

Hardcoar

I agree entirely. The main factors are likely match duration and average distance run per point, but like you say doubles can be very intense with a lot of heavy hitting and "stalemates" due to the better court coverage making ending points potentially difficult.

Enjoy your weekend!

BennyBigNuts

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoneytx View Post
    Lol. I'm pretty sure, almost positive, that you don't or have never played tennis before. lol. Doubles is nothing.. That was funny..

FYI. Those guys & gals work their asses off playing doubles usually. Everyone on the doubles court is soaking wet. Lol. Doubles is nothing. That was funny
    I actually play tennis quite a bit, and it's 100% accurate
    The pros are sweating profusely half the time cuz of where they are playing in hot conditions
    To think a doubles match is going to drain you physically is insane
    I can play doubles all day long and be fine
    I can play 2-3 sets of singles and be exhausted

beermankirk
    beermankirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 885

Doubles is easier, The main reason old folks like Daniel Nestor and Martina Hingis are still playing in their 40's and playing well..
    Points Awarded:

BennyBigNuts gave beermankirk 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

BennyBigNuts

Quote Originally Posted by beermankirk View Post
    Doubles is easier, The main reason old folks like Daniel Nestor and Martina Hingis are still playing in their 40's and playing well..