jram68
    tell obama to keep his change
    jram68's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 886

legalizing sports betting

I believe its only a matter of time (within the next two years) that the US govt will legalize and tax sports betting. Our country's economy is in the shitter and they will need to raise $ any way they can. They already spiked the cigarette tax. This seems the logical thing to do, but as we all know, our elected officials aren't the smartest men on the planet...

peeiempee
    peeiempee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 348

It will never happen. NBA NCAA MLB NFL NHL will oppose it. We already think certain games are rigged. Imagine if the whole country can bet on it. Too much of a conflict of interest. The sports organization reversed the bill in Delaware to legalize sports gambling. It will never pass for the country when boon dock Delaware can't get it passed

michael777
    michael777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3128

zero chance sports betting will ever be legalized here in the usa,ZERO!!

JW Cash
    JW Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!

USA will elect Osama bin Laden President before they legalize sports betting....

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20592

Quote Originally Posted by peeiempee View Post
    It will never happen. NBA NCAA MLB NFL NHL will oppose it. We already think certain games are rigged. Imagine if the whole country can bet on it. Too much of a conflict of interest. The sports organization reversed the bill in Delaware to legalize sports gambling. It will never pass for the country when boon dock Delaware can't get it passed
    sports clubs and associations in the rest of the (the real free) world make a lot of money from bookie licensing and sponsorship

of course that means they are obliged to be more vigilant and take measures to ensure integrity, which at least in theory is a positive

only the stupid would believe that betting doesn't occur in a prohibitionist environment and that being the case, criminals get involved and the likelihood of rigged events is greater

coldhardfacts
    coldhardfacts's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    sports clubs and associations in the rest of the (the real free) world make a lot of money from bookie licensing and sponsorship
    of course that means they are obliged to be more vigilant and take measures to ensure integrity, which at least in theory is a positive

only the stupid would believe that betting doesn't occur in a prohibitionist environment and that being the case, criminals get involved and the likelihood of rigged events is greater
    Exactly. The real reason the leagues (particularly the NFL) oppose legal sports betting is because it would shed light on rampant corruption and game fixing of which they are part and parcel.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by coldhardfacts View Post
    Exactly. The real reason the leagues (particularly the NFL) oppose legal sports betting is because it would shed light on rampant corruption and game fixing of which they are part and parcel.
    On the upside, at least the NFL could brag about Sunday Ticket numbers with a straight face instead of claiming fans don't want to miss out on those Browns/Raiders matchups.

coldhardfacts

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    On the upside, at least the NFL could brag about Sunday Ticket numbers with a straight face instead of claiming fans don't want to miss out on those Browns/Raiders matchups.
    Ain't that the truth. Without gambling, the NFL is the one sport that is utterly unwatchable. Unless of course, you happen to consider yourself a "fan" of any particular team. And the illusion of being a "fan" (i.e., that there is any connection at all between a professional or college sports team and the people who live in a city or even go to a university) is something I gave up a long, long, time ago.

peeiempee

Good pts, but how can a subjectivity become objectivity? Refs have to make subjective calls throughout the game. A holding call missed, a travel, a borderline strike all depends on which side u are on. If everyone can go to the supermarket or call your local bookie and place a bet everyone will. This is where it gets tricky, sure sports organization will make money in the short run, but people and fans will lose interest in the game if they think it's rigged. Only degenerates thinks sports are boring to watch if there are no bets. In the long run fans will lose not come to the games, or buy products or watch on tv if they think it is fake. Might as well watch wwf. Sports organization know that legalizing betting country wide will be a losing proposition in the long run which is why they shut the Delaware legislating down.

Hareeba!

Good pts, but how can a subjectivity become objectivity? Refs have to make subjective calls throughout the game. A holding call missed, a travel, a borderline strike all depends on which side u are on. If everyone can go to the supermarket or call your local bookie and place a bet everyone will. This is where it gets tricky, sure sports organization will make money in the short run, but people and fans will lose interest in the game if they think it's rigged. Only degenerates thinks sports are boring to watch if there are no bets. In the long run fans will lose not come to the games, or buy products or watch on tv if they think it is fake. Might as well watch wwf. Sports organization know that legalizing betting country wide will be a losing proposition in the long run which is why they shut the Delaware legislating down.
    by and large the rest of the world have faith in the top sporting comps
    yes, sure there have been plenty of scandals, but prohibitionist USA hasn't been spared them either

peeiempee

Quote Originally Posted by coldhardfacts View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Without gambling, the NFL is the one sport that is utterly unwatchable. Unless of course, you happen to consider yourself a "fan" of any particular team. And the illusion of being a "fan" (i.e., that there is any connection at all between a professional or college sports team and the people who live in a city or even go to a university) is something I gave up a long, long, time ago.
    With discussion to this thread, your perspective and disinterest in sports makes no difference to the billions of people who do call themselves fans and do not gamble. They will lose interest in the game if there is a reasonable doubt games are fixed and sports organizations will lose money in the long run.

Hareeba!

With discussion to this thread, your perspective and disinterest in sports makes no difference to the billions of people who do call themselves fans and do not gamble. They will lose interest in the game if there is a reasonable doubt games are fixed and sports organizations will lose money in the long run.
    but why is that going to happen in the US when it doesn't throughout the rest of the world where sports betting is legal?

jram68
    tell obama to keep his change
    jram68's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 886

Great discussion here, but my point is that our enormous deficit and broke state budgets is going to force their hand. I've read that the sports betting industry is a billion dollars a year or so. That seems like a lot of money that could be regulated and taxed in order to pay off some state or federal bills. I know Cali and south carolina are bankrupt, probably other states too. If states are considering legalizing/regulating and taxing pot, then I dont see how sports betting is too far off. Why restrict it to just Vegas & AC?

albo gator
    albo gator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

You can't even bet on sports in New Jersey. Nevada is the only state where you can legally wager on a game (depending upon what becomes of the whole Delaware thing but that won't be very big however it turns out).

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

but why is that going to happen in the US when it doesn't throughout the rest of the world where sports betting is legal?
    The "rest of the world where sports betting is legal" (i.e. the freedom to persue all available internet wagering) seems to be shrinking every day, add France to the list now.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

If it was not for the sports leagues and the corrupt NCAA yes I would agree that it could happen. First lets legalize it for poker.

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

Only in Vegas due to the NFL,MLB, NCAA.... Hypocritical, but reality dictates it that way. Delaware is a crock too....

peeiempee

The rest of the world has the drinking and gaming age at 18. Other parts has legalized prostitution and weed. Do u think the US will ever follow?

Hareeba!

The rest of the world has the drinking and gaming age at 18. Other parts has legalized prostitution and weed. Do u think the US will ever follow?
    whether I think they will follow or not is not the point

I was just asking why you believe the US experience would differ from elsewhere if it were

coldhardfacts

Billions of people?? Do the Chinese and Indians follow American sports. But assuming there are "millions" of sports "fans", if they really believe that the stuff they're currently watching is on the level, they really are morons, and there is nothing legal sports betting would do to abate their interest. Did you see the Steelers/Seahawks Super Bowl? Tens of millions did, and they still think this stuff's for real. Remember the Chargers/Steelers game when Palomalu's late TD was negated for some BS reason so that the Chargers could cover the spread? Did you read Donaghy's book, wherein he says that games are routinely fixed. (Not by him of course - he was the only one who was betting and everyone else was fixing games.)

Sure, pal.

peeiempee

I'm sure the Chinese watch sports that's why there is a Chinese basketball, baseball and soccer league and last time I checked they do participate in the Olymics and so do the Indians. Maybe cricket, I don't know. Point trying to be made is if people knew beyond a reasonable doubt that the sports they watch is fixed or fake, they will lose interest.

Like I said depends on which side you are on. It is obvious that you are so deep into gambling on sports that you think everything is fixed. Imagine the millions of people who will have access to the spread, the totals, every subjective call the refs make will be scrutinized because they are trying "fix" or "cover the spread."

If your perception of the sports industry is so grim, you need to really stop gambling. Why bet on something that is "fixed."

Done with this thread, You guys can believe what ever you want. Sports gambling with NEVER become legalized in the US nationwide. Gonna spend some more time betting on fixed games than argue/discuss with ignorant people

coldhardfacts

I'm sure the Chinese watch sports that's why there is a Chinese basketball, baseball and soccer league and last time I checked they do participate in the Olymics and so do the Indians. Maybe cricket, I don't know. Point trying to be made is if people knew beyond a reasonable doubt that the sports they watch is fixed or fake, they will lose interest.

Like I said depends on which side you are on. It is obvious that you are so deep into gambling on sports that you think everything is fixed. Imagine the millions of people who will have access to the spread, the totals, every subjective call the refs make will be scrutinized because they are trying "fix" or "cover the spread."

If your perception of the sports industry is so grim, you need to really stop gambling. Why bet on something that is "fixed."

Done with this thread, You guys can believe what ever you want. Sports gambling with NEVER become legalized in the US nationwide. Gonna spend some more time betting on fixed games than argue/discuss with ignorant people
    I'm ignorant? Did you even read Donaghy's book? Even if you take it at face value (i.e., that he bet on games but never fixed them, and that other referees influenced game outcomes but never bet) it completely destroys any myths naifs like you have about the legitimacy of the NBA and the inherent fairness of its contests. Even Phil Jackson commented that there some calls he had seen (most in his favor) that were very suspicious. And still, crowds continue to fill arenas, playoff games continue to attract huge audiences, and teams like the Heat can afford payrolls in the hundreds of millions. The public believes what it wants to believe, legal betting or no legal betting. And you are a prime example.

increasedodds
    increasedodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Right now, betting is legal.

The only way booking becomes legal in the US is if the WTO makes them. This would mean Europe or similar pushing.

And the leagues would make more money, not less.