TheGuesser
    TheGuesser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24835

Looking for Opinions On a Grading Issue

Couple of days ago, 11/18, I bet a European basketball League game involving Virtus Roma to go over 154.5. The game landed 169. The line was not erroneous or a bad line situation. It was a fair market line at the time of the bet, and that is not an issue. I made the bet at 7:33 AM, the game didn't start until 2:45 PM.
    When I went to verify the win, a few hours after the game was final, I discovered the book had cancelled the wager. I went to chat to ask why, and was told that all bets were cancelled on the game because of a typo. I was not notified via email of any cancellation.
    Here was the problem. Virtus Roma was playing Belgacom SPIROU Basket, but the book listed the opponent as Belgacom LIEGE Basket, another team in that league that was NOT playing that day. I did not notice, I was just betting the total. I politely protested in chat, but was told that's their decision.
    The bet was $100, my average bet for European Baskets, which range from $50 to $150.
    It's at a top rated Book that I thoroughly enjoy playing at, no need to mention it here. I don't want to make it a big issue where they pay me and toss me for causing any trouble. I'd rather stay and continue to play. But I do feel they did me wrong here. What do you guys think?

noyb
    noyb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6821

sorry, i 100% agree with the book here. it wasn't a typo in which someone typed 1 letter by mistake, it was an entirely different (existing) team. Spirou is from Charleroi, Liege is from (well obviously) Liege, they are two completely different cities. Apparently they have the same sponsor, but that's about it. I understand the mistake and why you're upset, but these mistakes happen. Next time your losing bet will be voided and you'll be relieved, it's all part of the game.

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Same as if they put Los Angeles Lakers instead of Los Angeles Clippers. Obvious cancel.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Seems like if they cancelled before game time that would be legit.

If they cancelled afterwards than you might be able to say the book was taking a shot at the players (cancel if they had more money on the winning side, pay if they had more on the losing side).

rolltide39
    rolltide39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

Yeah if the typo is an actual team in itself then a cancel is the right play .... i had a book put up I think Illinois vs someone a couple years ago in college baskets and it was acutally Illinois Chicago playing and the bet lost but they still cancelled it because illnios and Illinois Chicago are two different teams ... sux u had a winner but think its the right call here ...

TheGuesser
    TheGuesser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24835

Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciate it. I'll let it slide.

rangerz2478
    rangerz2478's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12330

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandeleigh View Post
    Seems like if they cancelled before game time that would be legit.

If they cancelled afterwards than you might be able to say the book was taking a shot at the players (cancel if they had more money on the winning side, pay if they had more on the losing side).
    Agreed.

I'd find out the exact time the wager was CANCELLED. Before the game, then it was 100% fair. After the game, I'd have an issue.

noyb
    noyb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6821

why exactly?

it wasn't a bad line, it was a wrong game. the matchup was team A vs team B, while the match played was team A vs team C. Harsh, but even after the game (which wasn't the game the bets were placed on) bets should be void.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20531

Cancelling the bet was the correct decision.

But not informing you of the cancellation before the game is unacceptable.

RedDevil1974
    RedDevil1974's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    Cancelling the bet was the correct decision.

But not informing you of the cancellation before the game is unacceptable.
    no its not really, he doesnt say when it was cancelled, and he got his money back.

Big books usually take hundreds/thousands of bets even on mug basketball games. Most wont email anyone to say its been cancelled.

Ive had games cancelled by all the big books and only one or two ever email and its never at exactly the same time its done.

Some just put announcements up on their site, or in the betting histories. Thats fair enough.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20531

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil1974 View Post
    no its not really, he doesnt say when it was cancelled, and he got his money back.

Big books usually take hundreds/thousands of bets even on mug basketball games. Most wont email anyone to say its been cancelled.

Ive had games cancelled by all the big books and only one or two ever email and its never at exactly the same time its done.

Some just put announcements up on their site, or in the betting histories. Thats fair enough.
    Well I disagree that it is simple acceptable to put an announcement on the site. Most wouldn't be going back to the site before the event so wouldn't know until it's too late to place a replacement wager.

Whenever I've had a bet cancelled I've received an email advising of it.