Bbr
    Bbr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 414

Quote Originally Posted by sneakerhead View Post
    I was just wondering where you studied etc and if you are a DDS or equivalent?

I edited that part because I realized you are in Australia and invisalign might not be available there.
    Thanks for the help though, I understand the traditional braces are better and they are cheaper too but clear ones are a bit more convenient.
    I got busy with school myself so stopped wearing the clear aligners, hoping to get back on track now.

I am pursuing a dental degree as well but still have to go through the process of applying etc
    I studied in Australia. I studied the DDS equivalent which is BDS here.

Invisalign is available here by the way. Good luck with your applications. Inbox me if you ever need help with anything.

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    have a wisdom tooth on top right and bottom right all the way at the end and after not having any pain for a couple years on it the bottom one is starting to hurt and I am worried that I may have a decay. What do I do? I would like to keep these teeth in place if possible.
    Hi Easy,

Wisdom teeth 'pain' can be very sporadic. Have you been stressed lately? Often this can trigger some sort of inflammation around your wisdom tooth; termed as periocorinitis. H

ave it checked out just in case its not infected. If it is a bit tender rinse with warm salt water rinses in the morning and at night. The salty environment does not allow bacteria to thrive and harbour thus reducing chance of infection.

Keep in mind, wisdom teeth get extracted all the time because most often or not there is not enough 'bone' in our jaws and maxilla to keep these teeth and eventually we get some sort of gum disease there which can eventuate in periodontitis (bone disease) then the tooth will get take out anyway.

I recommend you get a panoramic xray just to check whether there is enough room for your wisdom teeth. Sometimes the best treatment is to get them removed. You wont need general anaesthesia I expect.

Hope this helps.

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    BBR - I haven't had my teeth cleaned in about 12 years. Is my mouth totally fukked? Or can it still be saved?
    Hi Tms,

Its never too late to have a clean. 12 years is a very long term and its is highly likely you have some sort of chronic gum disease.

Its hard to tell if you're '******' some have immaculate oral hygiene at home and have no problems at all but a check up for a clean every year is the best way to go. Think of it like a small investment to avoid paying the big bills when something bad goes wrong.

Hope this helps.

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Invisalign is the shit. Costs a lot, but it was well worth it for me. Quick question Doc, if you know much about whitening. What is the best for whitening teeth, other than going to the dentist for the expensive laser whitening stuff? Is there a toothpaste or strips you'd recommend?

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by slambam View Post
    Invisalign is the shit. Costs a lot, but it was well worth it for me. Quick question Doc, if you know much about whitening. What is the best for whitening teeth, other than going to the dentist for the expensive laser whitening stuff? Is there a toothpaste or strips you'd recommend?
    Hi Slambam.

I have had a lot of success with just professional take homee whitening where there are trays made in house and carbamide/peroxide syringes give to you to apply at home. Its approximately a 2 week thing, applying just once a day for 30 minutes. After that you might have to do it once very month to to maintain your shade but you can gauge that.

Coast approximately $400-500 but tahts a lot cheaper than the laser where you then have to use the bleaching trays at home as an addition...pretty absurd. Its widely availiable at most dentists

Laser is often for people who want whitening done in a flash. Quick sharp and shiny. Take home bleaching trays do the exact same job over 2 weeks.

Hope this helps

acl123
    syndicate
    acl123's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    I got a root canal two years ago, and the motherfukker still hurts if I hit it wrong. What are my options?? Extraction?!
    I have the exact same problem.Dentist said that the previous dentist that did it must not have removed all off the root or nerve.

Bbr

Root canal treatment is equivalent to a red zone hail mary. Last thing you can do before its gone.

Djohns04
    Djohns04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 184

Hi Bbr,
    Thanks for the thread.. When i was a teen, like many I had braces to correct an overbite I had, a pretty significant one. After wearing the braces for a year or so, i had them off and the overbite was gone, I was then given a retainer to wear at nights to maintain the new bite. Sadly I barely wore the damn thing not really understanding how quickly things could reverse. My overbite has now come back, not nearly as bad as originally but not where it should be either. Are braces the only option to fix it again ? Does that invisalign correct that or is that just for straighteing teeth ? If braces are the only option, maybe I would only need them for like 6 months vs. the 12-18 months i originally had them on since I would say it's half as bad as it originally was. Thanks in advance !

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by Djohns04 View Post
    Hi Bbr,
    Thanks for the thread.. When i was a teen, like many I had braces to correct an overbite I had, a pretty significant one. After wearing the braces for a year or so, i had them off and the overbite was gone, I was then given a retainer to wear at nights to maintain the new bite. Sadly I barely wore the damn thing not really understanding how quickly things could reverse. My overbite has now come back, not nearly as bad as originally but not where it should be either. Are braces the only option to fix it again ? Does that invisalign correct that or is that just for straighteing teeth ? If braces are the only option, maybe I would only need them for like 6 months vs. the 12-18 months i originally had them on since I would say it's half as bad as it originally was. Thanks in advance !
    Hi Djohns,

Looks like you'll need to give your orthodontist a visit.

Invisalign will not correct your bite. If you're happy with the way your bite is now you can just keep wearing the plate. If its tight just wear it till the pressure wears off. Then wear yourself down if you know what I mean. Depends when you had your braces off though.
    If you are really concerned about your bite then yes You will probably be in braces for under 12 months assuming all goes well and there are no breakages i.e brackets off delaying treatment.

From what ive seen. Most opt to maintain there bite sometime your old plate can be adjusted because if you haven't been wearing it the chances that your teeth have moved is quite high and most often what is lost is arch width.

A. They will adjust your plate
    B. If it doesnt fit, They will take a mould for a new one
    C. Braces again.

Hope this helps.

Djohns04
    Djohns04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 184

Yup, definitely helped, thanks. I had them off when i was like 14 and i'm 28 now so I don't have a plate anymore. I guess i'll just live with it or check with the orthodontist and see how long I would need the braces on for. Maybe I could bear it if it wasn't too long. Thanks BBr !

Bbr

If its been 14 years to be safe ill say below 16 months

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

True or false scaling is a scam
    because i never had problems before i had a two day scaling procedure
    after scaling i never had so many problems i.e. root canals every three months

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post
    True or false scaling is a scam
    because i never had problems before i had a two day scaling procedure
    after scaling i never had so many problems i.e. root canals every three months
    False!!

Scaling is extremely important because once calculus/tartar forms it is im possible to remove it home. This tartar can harbour plaque and trigger chronic gum disease==> eventuating in bone disease and loss of that tooth if the right risk factors are in motion.

It is notn a scam. There is a reason why Dental Hygienist are required in the dental field. They are professionals at what they do and I admit they scale better than what I can.

You never had problems probably because you never had it checked until the scaling appt =)

Scaling does not cause decay and therefore does not influences the chance of root canal treatment.

Happy to help.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Bbr, i brush and floss daily. Friday night we got wasted and did a lot of e and k. I didn't know it at the time, but I hooked up with a shemale. We were into and hot and heavy, so it was too late to put the brakes on. During breakfast the he/she gave me some feedback that my upper teeth made a certain sexual act not pleasurable for the he/she. You have to respect the he/she's honesty. Do you have any advice for me in case this happens again?

Crowing Capers
    Crowing Capers's Avatar Become A Pro!

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bbr View Post
    Anything with fluoride is fine. its all marketing as companies know its pretty much a household necessity.

i do appreciate colgate sensitive pro-relief for those with sensitive teeth.
    This common additive to your water supply, and ingredient in the toothpaste you and your children use may be contributing to the increased rates of hypothyroidism -- and other health concerns -- in the U.S. . . without improving dental health

What is Fluoride?

Fluoride is an element from the halogen group, as are iodide and chloride. It is commonly added to the water supply as hydrofluosilicic acid, silicofluoride or sodium fluoride. Fluoride is also found as an additive in toothpastes and some mouthwashes, as a tooth decay preventive ingredient.

Why is Fluoride Used?

Fluoride is used to fight tooth decay in children. The key initial studies purporting to demonstrate its effectiveness as an anti-cavity fighting compound were performed back in the 1940s. Those studies, conducted in Grand Rapids, MI in 1945, in Newburgh, NY in 1945, in Brantford, Ontario in 1945, and in Evanston, IL in 1947, are now being called into question. According to Dr. Philip Sutton, author of "The Greatest Fraud: Fluoridation" *A Factual Book, Lorne, Australia, 1996), these studies are actually of dubious scientific quality.

More recently, other studies attempting to document the effectiveness of fluoride have been conducted. Dr. John Yiamouyiannis examined the raw data from a large study that was conducted by the National Institute for Dental Research (NIDR). He concluded that fluoride did not appear to have any decay preventing success, as there was little difference in the DMFT values (the mean number of decayed, missing or filled teeth) for approximately 40,000 children. It did not matter whether they grew up in fluoridated, non-fluoridated or partially fluoridated communities. (Yiamouyiannis, J.A. "Water Fluoridation and Tooth Decay: Results from the 1986-87 National Survey of U.S. Schoolchildren", Fluoride, 23, 55-67, 1990).

A larger study has been conducted in New Zealand. There, the New Zealand National Health Service plan examines the teeth of every child in key age groups, and have found that the teeth of children in non-fluoridated cities were slightly better than those in the fluoridated cities. (Colquhoun, J. "Child Dental Health Differences in New Zealand", Community Healthy Services, XI 85-90, 1987).

Although children's teeth have improved steadily from the 1930s to the 1990s, this improvement appears to be independent of the addition of fluoride to the water. A study has yet to be conducted that specifically addresses whether the addition of fluoride affects the quality of teeth, while controlling and accounting for other factors and other sources of fluoride.

Despite growing questions about the effectiveness of using fluoride to fight tooth decay - and increasing concerns of the safety of this practice -- over 60 percent of the United States' water supply is fluoridated. Most of those cities are in the eastern part of the U.S.

What are the Concerns Associated with the Addition of Fluoride to the Water Supply?

The most recognized problem with the ingestion of too much fluoride is dental fluorosis. This condition is characterized by the failure of tooth enamel to crystallize properly in permanent teeth. The effects range from chalky, opaque blotching of teeth to severe, rust-colored stains, surface pitting and tooth brittleness.

This condition, though worrisome, may not be the key concern , at least according to some researchers. Dr. Phyllis Mullenix believes, based on her research, that fluoride acts in a way that lowers the I.Q. of children ("Neurotoxicity of Sodium Fluoride in Rats", Mullenix, P.Neurotoxicology and Teratology, 17 (2), 1995).

Dr. William Marcus, believes that a study conducted by Battelle for the National Toxicology Program on the toxicology of fluoride shows that there were dose-related increases in bone cancer in male rats. Dr. Marcus also questions the removal by peer reviewers of cancers at other sites in the rats as well. Especially worrisome to Dr. Marcus is the fact that that levels of fluoride that caused the cancers in the rats were lower than those seen in humans who ingested lower amounts, but for a longer period. These levels are generated because fluoride is accumulated in the body and is not secreted.

Dr. Marcus was formerly the chief toxicologist for the EPA's Office of Drinking Water, but was fired in 1991 after insisting that an unbiased evaluation of fluoride's cancer potential be conducted. Marcus fought his dismissal, and was able to be reinstated after demonstrating in court that it was politically motivated.

An article in the Irish Times of Dublin on August 16, 1999, reports that Dr. Hans Moolenburgh's research in Holland found that up to 4 percent of people using fluoridated water experienced health problems. These problems ranged from gastrointestinal disorders to mouth sores to rashes to headaches to forms of arthritis to more serious concerns such as cancers and neurological complaints.

Bbr

I am not going to begin an argument on fluoride. Theres just way too many arguments and its a never ending battle which still remains. From my read of the literature, I believe fluoride is very beneficial.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    Bbr, i brush and floss daily. Friday night we got wasted and did a lot of e and k. I didn't know it at the time, but I hooked up with a shemale. We were into and hot and heavy, so it was too late to put the brakes on. During breakfast the he/she gave me some feedback that my upper teeth made a certain sexual act not pleasurable for the he/she. You have to respect the he/she's honesty. Do you have any advice for me in case this happens again?
    C'mon man, anybody that's done E and K knows that the rest of your story just isn't possible, lol.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Pauly, if you think that fluoride is bad for you, take this little challenge. Stop using fluoride in your toothpaste, and only use filtered water. Report back in 1 year and let us know how bad off your teeth are. Fluoride is a good thing. Many people who have gone on a raw, vegan diet initially quit using fluoride, thinking that it's a toxin for your body. The inevitable dental problems ensue, and when they go back on fluoride, their problems go away.

brumbies
    sail close to the wind
    brumbies's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8000

Hi bbr,

my gums in between my two front bunny teeth are swollen. When i lick the gums behind, it kind of hurts. Bloody pain kept me awake last night. I did have fillings done on both teeth about a month and half ago. Can fillings cause pressure on the gums?

Will the swollen gums go away like an ulcer?

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    Instead of brushing your teeth, does rinsing your mouth with rubbing alcohol serve as an effective substitute?

Thanks for the help.
    Haha, somehow after a night of drinking i find my teeth whiter the nexte morning lol

leetreaper

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    C'mon man, anybody that's done E and K knows that the rest of your story just isn't possible, lol.
    The only real advice here stop doing the cheap drugs that curve your reality...

leetreaper

Lol this is so true, ive done both and we've never heard these kinds of stories lol...

leetreaper

Sorry the wrong quote man...

Originally Posted by robmpink

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by brumbies View Post
    Hi bbr,

my gums in between my two front bunny teeth are swollen. When i lick the gums behind, it kind of hurts. Bloody pain kept me awake last night. I did have fillings done on both teeth about a month and half ago. Can fillings cause pressure on the gums?

Will the swollen gums go away like an ulcer?
    Hi there,

Fillings do not necessary cause pressure but what they can do, when not polished correctly, is act as like a plaque trap. The plaque then irritates the gums leading to bleeding gums/gingivitis.

What you should be doing is brushing the area twice a day as per normal and do not avoid brushing the area because its bleeding. Bleeding means you should be paying more attention to it. What i suggest is brush consistently along the gum line for 2 weeks and if the gums do not resolve go back to see your dentist as the fillings may be slightly rough. They should fix this free of charge.
    Warm salt water rinses daily would help also, just until it resolves. Half a teaspoon in warm water is good.

Hope this helps.

Bbr

bump.

All dental related questions or queries welcome

kensh3
    kensh3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Usefull thread

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by kensh3 View Post
    Usefull thread
    Glad it is. The most frequently asked questions have been answered so just skim through the thread and there should be some helpful tips and explanations.

Bbr

bump- Checking in for those with questions/queries

lesterdymond
    lesterdymond's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 321

My CPAP mask dries my mouth out terribly. It has caused major halitosis & gum bleeding. Any alternatives for a mouth breather?

The dentist wants to upsale me on a deep cleaning. WTF is that?
    Last edited by lesterdymond; 01-11-13 at 08:40 AM.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Can gingivitis be reversed? if so, how. I read gargling and flushing the mouth with hydrogen peroxide helps.

Yotone
    Yotone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 348

For the last year, since my cap fell off, ive been krazy gluing it back on. sometimes it can stay on for months at a time. my question is will i die in a few years from the toxins ingested from repeatedly doing this?

leafs_ducks
    leafs_ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4849

the back of my jaws hurt from Time to time(the bottom part)

why is this?
    does it mean I should pull both of my wisdom teeth out?

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

My gum on one side of my K-9 has been swollen for quite a while. It's been a couple years and really hasn't gotten any worse or better. I can floss around it and it does not really hurt unless I really irritate it. It really doesn't bother me but it would be nice if it went away. Is there anything i can do short of having them cut into it?
    (i do go to the dentist twice a year and brush twice a day)

I'm_Lucky
    I'm_Lucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23146

Hello Bbr,

How much of the gum should be covering the teeth? I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but when I look at my teeth, I feel like my gum has receded downwards for the bottom teeth, or upwards for the upper teeth. Is it possible the gum recedes to the point that your teeth just "naturally" falls off?! I don't feel any pain, and my teeth don't feel loose or anything, but I don't know if I should worry about this. Does it matter that I've been using an Oral-B electric toothbrush the past 10 years (maybe the pressure from the spinning toothbrush is making my gum recede)?

First 123 Last