neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Calculus.

So as many of you may know, I am a student at Univeristy of Wisconsin.

I am having some semi trouble with Calculus. Has anybody had it before, its Calculus 1.

The text book we have is pretty much terrible, and the Professor I got although he is good, he can be a total asshole sometimes. For instance, if you forget to right the word lim x>0 in the entire answer before each new expression its an automatic 0.

At any rate, could you tell me of any good text books you found that helped you, or any good websites you know that will be good resource. I found patrictjmt.com which is a great website of videos, however it doesn't have many of the more complicated ones that I see on 'pop quizes' (i had anther one today)

Thank you guys, any help is much appericated.

If you need to know so far we got through
    Limits
    and Derivatives
    and Related Rates
    This is single variable Calculus, and we will be discussing all the relevant chapters as any course would.

mattmc419
    mattmc419's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Signup for this site.

http://www.mathtutordvd.com

It has a monthly fee, but the videos are great. Helped me a ton in Calc 3 and Differential Equations too.

neverstoppers23

Wow thanks, that will defiantly help me out!

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Graduated from UW in '07, wasn't a math guy though, best of luck.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

Try this as well: khanacademy.org

Calc I is one of the most important foundations for pretty much any engineering, econ/business, hard science, and other quantitative concentration. Try to really understand the material, and good luck.

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc419 View Post
    Signup for this site.

It has a monthly fee, but the videos are great. Helped me a ton in Calc 3 and Differential Equations too.
    I used this too. Great site..

neverstoppers23

Quote Originally Posted by babyjesus View Post
    I used this too. Great site..
    Guess I better get on that site, we have our first exam next Thursday. This professor is very tough, my friend told me who I had to start and he just laughed I now know why.
    (I guess if worse comes to worse I can just drop the class with a W, never had to do that. I will re-take it next semester with someone different)
    To me, anyways, it seems like the young Professors who are not tenured yet seem to be the hardest. They give out the most work, have the hardest exams, and are tough graders trying to prove to the board they are good professionals

mp5070
    The Michael Scott Company
    mp5070's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7789

jbrent95
    jbrent95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1450

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc419 View Post
    Signup for this site.

I recommend this site too. It's worth the fee. I too used it to help me with Calc 3 and DiffEQ.

neverstoppers23

thank you guys so so so so much! i will be studying 24/7 the next five days, hopefully i can get a makable grade thursday.

neverstoppers23

just signed up for the 20 dollar monthly thing, since i will only need it for two months most likely.

best part is they have a lot of videos on related rates.

only thing i can't seem to find is anything on limits. they did put it someplace else?
    Last edited by neverstoppers23; 10-07-11 at 06:06 PM.

Full Time Hobo
    In a Box
    Full Time Hobo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3676

Young, Non-Tenured professors are ass-holes.. they think they have something to prove by slamming you with so much work and tests.
    My Calc 3 professor made every assignment he gave us about 20-30 questions weekly. And we didnt just have to do the math, we had to write sentences and explain our answers in paragraph form. What a joke and a waste of my time, especially on top of my full class load.

Enough of my rant though -

Whenever I got stuck it was amazing what I could find on google... just got to have to know what you're looking for. As you get further into math it gets harder and harder to find well explained topics, but Calc 1 you should be ok.

neverstoppers23

Yeah, I get get Calc one, its just these pop quizzes that get to me, and the notation of everything needed to be perfect. You could have the exact answer correct show your work right, but if you mess up on some dumbass notation, he goes crazy and gives you a zero. Then he rants about it in class for 10 minutes, telling us how stupid we are.

But it is so true, young professors are always the hardest, give out the most work ect.ect.

I am starting to get this shit finally, hopefully I can pass my professors strict grading style. My friend told me i was going to have a hard time with this guy, I wish I would of listened to him and transferred out, at the start of the semester but what can you do.

LuckyBeans
    Patience, Patience, Patience
    LuckyBeans's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4570

Good luck dude. What worked for me was doing lots of sample problems. Young professors and TA's are the pits. Hang in there.

Cicima6709
    Cicima6709's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1565

cramster.com