GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

"DownTown" Chad Brown fighting for his life

Poor guy, I didn't even recognize him. I hope he pulls through this.
    http://www.pokerstarsblog.com/team_p...h-146170.shtml

Name:  Chad Brown_Main Event_Day 1B_2014 PCA_Giron_8JG8407.jpg
Views: 2953
Size:  95.4 KB

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

Thanks Gummo!

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Well, he's in the right place. Won't do better than Sloan-Kettering.
    Had a distant family member survive cancer (to date, but doing real well now) when he was basically thought a goner; yep, lot of credit to that Cancer Center.

Sounds dire though so best of luck to him; good post, Gum.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Amazing what an asshole cancer is.
    Points Awarded:

BeerDog99 gave GUMMO77 1000 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jdwars gave GUMMO77 36 Betpoint(s) for this post.

BeerDog99 gave GUMMO77 1000 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BigDaddy

BeerDog99

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    I could not agree more, well said as usual bud.
    Points Awarded:

GUMMO77 gave BeerDog99 1000 Betpoint(s) for this post.

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

I was the Health Care proxy to my cousin who died of cancer in '11.
    Battled w/him for 5 long years... every doc appt, every chemo/radiation.
    He was 'slow' so needed someone to make all the decisions.
    Learned helluva lot bout our Health Care system lemme tell ya... not all good, obv.

Let me quote something I learned early on from a book I read on his cancer and what to do if facing it (any cancer): "Get ye to a CANCER CENTER." ... seriously, don't do the reg hospital thing. Trust me, you're behind the ol' 8-ball if ya go that route.

Only good thing is, literally, few weeks before he died we checked off the last travel spot on his bucket list.
    I made the call to take him of life support; although I knew it was inevitable (from the beginning, actually) it was still a troubling and weird decision to have to make.

Yep... FU cancer
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BeerDog99

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Holy shit I thought I had the wrong guy... Checking pstars I was wrong... So sad... Looks a hundred years old.. Bol
    Points Awarded:

BiTeMe UsAdOj gave thechaoz 50 Betpoint(s) for this post.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Around 06-07 commerce LAPC, I'll never forget this guy raising oop with A7o and spiking a runner runner 1 card straight against my flopped set after he tries to 4bet bluff me on the flop.

I hope I'm not responsible for this because I'm pretty sure I wished cancer on him after that beat.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Blame the poker GODZ for something like that.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16
    FlipsideRM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3216

Is he still with the hot blonde, vanessa rousso?

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25129

Quote Originally Posted by FlipsideRM View Post
    Believe they have been divorced a couple years.

Cancer is brutal, worst part is when it sneaks up on you or someone you love and just watching what it does to them. Hope guy catches a miracle river and pulls thru.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BeerDog99, brainfreeze, and GUMMO77

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

wow, poor guy hope he makes it.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

does not look like the same fella at all. Seemed like a top notch fella at the tables , im sure he is well respected.

Hope him the best

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by FlipsideRM View Post
    not unless she's got a "crypt keeper" type fetish or something....

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

jeez how long has he been sucking on the chemo tube? I couldn't find anything with a google search. is this a hoax? same nose...

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33462

Quote Originally Posted by tad0matic View Post
    jeez how long has he been sucking on the chemo tube? I couldn't find anything with a google search. is this a hoax? same nose...
    The picture is old (1 yearish). Chad has recently been admitted to hospice care. He had a 10 pound tumor removed in early 2011, so this is something he's been enduring for a while. I've never met him, but those I know who have played with him all have positive things to say about him.

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

guy had nothing but positive comments in the story linked, how does a man do that? makes me suck all the more for being all pissed off and vocal all the time. really makes you think about your own attitude don't it?
    Do you think he knew he'd be in the hospice care soon and chose his words carefully?
    hats off to the spirit of the man either way.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The picture is old (1 yearish). Chad has recently been admitted to hospice care. He had a 10 pound tumor removed in early 2011, so this is something he's been enduring for a while. I've never met him, but those I know who have played with him all have positive things to say about him.
    He's in hospice now?

If so, damn.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO

Here's a link to a short film about Chad and his amateur baseball team.

Points Awarded:

JuicedUp gave Ian 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj, and GUMMO77

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6184

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Here's a link to a short film about Chad and his amateur baseball team.

thanks for posting Ian. very inspirational!

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Ya hospice and judging by that pic it's not good obviously. Also they are stopping chemo and "waiting for experimental medicine ".

All the best for Chad

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Doyle Brunson mentioned on twitter that Chad Brown passed away on Saturday.

Four hours later he said he was misinformed.

Apparently he is still alive, but probably not for long. Awful story, I didn't even realize the guy was sick.

Fuk cancer.
    Points Awarded:

BeerDog99 gave The Giant 100 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO

Chad Brown passed away earlier this evening. His family issued the following statement, posted to his facebook page:

New York – Dated July 2nd 2014
    Press release authorized by the Brown family, written by Beau Eurell
    Poker icon, Chad Brown, passes away

Today, on July 2nd 2014 at approximately xx xx , poker icon and one of the greatest ambassadors for the game, Chad Brown,(born Martin Brown)passed away at Calvary hospice in the Bronx, New York City.
    At the time of his passing, Chad was surrounded by family members and friends according to family spokesperson, Perris Calderon.
    Before playing poker professionally, Chad had played minor league baseball and followed that with a highly regarded model and acting career.

Chad was also host of the Ultimate Poker Challenge, which aired in the mid-2000s in syndication and brought many of poker’s greatest players into the homes for many people.

Chad started his professional career in poker in 1993 and has cashed 38 times in the WSOP including two second place finishes. Chad also has 10 cashes on the World Poker Tour among many other cashes in various tournaments, here in the US as well as abroad.

Chad won the 2006 Bluff Magazine Poker Player of the Year award, commenting at the time that “winning Player of the Year is like an actor winning an Oscar.”

Chad’s most recent cash was at the WPT Borgata Winter Poker Open Championship during the month of January 2014
    Chad’s lifetime earnings were over $3,600,000 according to the poker database Hendon Mob.

“Downtown Chad Brown” was honored by the WSOP with its first ever honorary Gold Poker Bracelet shortly before his passing.
    WSOP VP and Tournament Director Jack Effel said during the award ceremony, “Winning a WSOP bracelet is one of the ways a poker player can create their legacy, to make sure they will be remembered by their peers. But it is not the only way.”

“Sometimes there are special people that come around and transcend the traditional poker score card,” Effel said.
    “A person who stands for something, like integrity, honor and friendship. A person who is positive, warm and respectful. A person who always made the game better just by being around the table.
    A person like Chad Brown.”
    “It now seems a certainty that Chad will never again play in the World Series of Poker or any tournament setting,” Effel concluded. “Today, the World Series of Poker family would like to award Chad Brown an honorary bracelet.”

Chad touched everyone’s life and consciousness , a lifelong friend Rori Gordon stated “Chad lived for the day, each and every day. He was prepared to win and prepared to lose and perhaps his last blog spoke volumes about the character of my friend Marty Brown. Chad, as you all knew him said this:”

“The way that I've been handling this and continue to handle this is to view the situation like a poker hand. There are only so many correct plays that you can make, and you can make the best play and still lose. If that winds up being the case, I'll be okay with it, because I'll know I did everything I could do to give myself the best shot.

As far as how I personally handle the ups and downs of the illness -- the "swings" you might say -- that really is like poker, too. People in the poker world who know me; know how I accept it as part of the game when things aren't going well and I'm running bad. If you've read my posts you've probably noticed me saying the same thing, how the most important thing is to play your best and not let being unlucky get you down.

We all have a choice when it comes to how we want to feel about what's going on in our lives. If you want to feel like a victim, that's your choice. I choose not to. I don't feel like a victim. I feel very blessed with the life that I've had, regardless of what happens. I've never been depressed about this at all.

Anyone wondering if I'm going through a hard time, the answer is no. This is just part of life and I'm okay with everything. I accept it. And right now I'm just looking forward to the next hand.”

Chad Brown is survived by his mother Elda, his father who likes to be called Sonny, his brother Matt, his sister Gina , his extended family and friends by proxy, all those who knew and loved Downtown Marty Brown.
    WE ALL WISH YOU GOD SPEED CHAD…. REST IN PEACE

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6184

Damn shame. Seemed like a great person.

RIP

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

RIP Chad

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

RIP Chad

BeerDog99

Cancer is so horrible.

RIP Chad
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Maybe not
    [COLOR=#0084B4 !important] Pinned Tweet
    Vanessa Rousso @VanessaRousso · Jun 28
    [/COLOR]
    Despite conflicting info @Downtownchad is still with us and actually high 5'd family after hearing of his honorary bracelet from @WSOP )))

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25129

Maybe not
    [COLOR=#0084B4 !important] Pinned Tweet
    Vanessa Rousso @VanessaRousso · Jun 28
    [/COLOR]
    Despite conflicting info @Downtownchad is still with us and actually high 5'd family after hearing of his honorary bracelet from @WSOP )))

From the 28th, looks like one after that

Vanessa Rousso @VanessaRousso · 13h

Unfortunately @Downtownchad has passed this evening. He touched so many during his lifetime and will live on within them. I love you Chad!

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Yea, I need to learn how to use Twitter.

Thanks, DS.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1524

Sad fuk'in news. Been reading about it on a couple of other sites too. Chad was one of the good guys in poker. Such a rotten fuk'in hand to be dealt. Fuk cancer and hopefully one day the money will go into the research and trials needed to finally beat this shit, instead of wastful shit like wars, guns and big fuk'in corporations and countries who make blood money off the killing of other human beings.