Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24681

Lol, you're the one who's completely ignorant of the situation. The United States won a bronze that year... hardly a collapse. This goes back to my earlier point, which you challenged:

Remember, before '92 our collegians were routinely competing for gold against other nations' equivalent of professional players. Doing that nowadays is unthinkable. How can those two dynamics exist absent some kind of gap closure?

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

i don't know how old you are but i remember people getting pissed for getting the bronze in basketball. communist countries like soviet union back then were sending out basically pro players since they didn't have professional basketball players.

c'mon man, you think the international players sucked back then but you haven't a clue. just look at the 1988 team that got the bronze. they had couple hall of fame players. look at 1984 team, they had jordan for crying out loud. jesus fukking christ. basketball existed for a long time, non americans didn't just discover basketball in 1992.

Eddy Munny

Here it is for you in plain sight...

Obviously, there was no panic stricken rush to usher in the use of NBA players as you're trying to portray.

Olympic Games
    Golden Medal

Silver Medal

Bronze Medal
    Berlin 1936 United States Canada Mexico
    London 1948 United States France Brazil
    Helsinki 1952 United States Soviet Union Uruguay
    Melbourne 1956 United States Soviet Union Uruguay
    Rome 1960 United States Soviet Union Brazil
    Tokyo 1964 United States Soviet Union Brazil
    Mexico 1968 United States Yugoslavia Soviet Union
    Munich 1972 Soviet Union United States Cuba
    Montreal 1976 United States Yugoslavia Soviet Union
    Moscow 1980 Yugoslavia Italy Soviet Union
    Los Angeles 1984 United States Spain Yugoslavia
    Seoul 1988 Soviet Union Yugoslavia United States
    Barcelona 1992 United States Croatia Lithuania
    Atlanta 1996 United States Yugoslavia Lithuania
    Sydney 2000 United States France Lithuania
    Athens 2004 Argentina Italy United States
    Beijing 2008 United States Spain Argentina
    London 2012 United States Spain Russia

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

jesus, 80's and 90's were the golden ages of basketball. us getting bronze in 1988 was a big deal.

Eddy Munny

So to sum the point concerning the use of college athletes... how can one reconcile U.S. basketball amateurs and their monopoly on the gold medal (save a year here or there) going way back, with the notion that U.S amateurs nowadays would roundly get their asses handed to them, without acknowledging some kind of gap closure?

If you're of the opinion that U.S. amateurs would still run away with the gold in today's basketball climate, then I'm sorry, but you're incredibly dumb and there's not much more to add to the discussion.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    jesus, 80's and 90's were the golden ages of basketball. us getting bronze in 1988 was a big deal.
    Golden age for the U.S. sure, not for the rest of the world. We're veering off topic anyhow, read my previous post.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

lol man, you're clueless. i'm not veering. i'm just pointing out the fact that the formation of the dream team was due to the fact that we got bronze in 1988 olympics, not because of some bullshit reason you gave.

Eddy Munny

lol man, you're clueless. i'm not veering. i'm just pointing out the fact that the formation of the dream team was due to the fact that we got bronze in 1988 olympics, not because of some bullshit reason you gave.
    Fine, you can have that if it makes you feel any better... it's ultimately irrelevant anyways. I said before 1992 U.S. amateurs were routinely competing for the gold medal. On the graphic I posted, it clearly depicts one silver and one bronze amidst a sea of gold medals. If that's not competing for gold, then I don't know what is. SMH

And now back to the main topic once again...

So to sum the point concerning the use of college athletes... how can one reconcile U.S. basketball amateurs and their monopoly on the gold medal (save a year here or there) going way back, with the notion that U.S amateurs nowadays would roundly get their asses handed to them, without acknowledging some kind of gap closure?

If you're of the opinion that U.S. amateurs would still run away with the gold in today's basketball climate, then I'm sorry, but you're incredibly dumb, and there's not much more to add to the discussion.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

why are you making this difficult pal? i already said college players don't have a chance since the one and dones ruined college basketball. i truly think if they stayed for longer than a year, they can compete. it's like sending out the 2nd and 3rd year all stars in the nba.

you don't think if these guys stayed in college, they couldn't compete in the international basketball as you claim?

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3244

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Fine, you can have that if it makes you feel any better... it's ultimately irrelevant anyways. I said before 1992 U.S. amateurs were routinely competing for the gold medal. On the graphic I posted, it clearly depicts one silver and one bronze amidst a sea of gold medals. If that's not competing for gold, then I don't know what is. SMH

And now back to the main topic once again...

If you're of the opinion that U.S. amateurs would still run away with the gold in today's basketball climate, then I'm sorry, but you're incredibly dumb, and there's not much more to add to the discussion.
    Ofcourse putting their Pro's against Americas amatuers their gonna feel the pain,but that would have happended in 92,the Croatians would have pummeled the American amatuers.

The Europeans have always had Ballers,Arvydas Sabonis was an incredible player,how many of those types of players are in the NBA know from Europe.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 08-23-16 at 06:51 PM.

Eddy Munny

why are you making this difficult pal? i already said college players don't have a chance since the one and dones ruined college basketball. i truly think if they stayed for longer than a year, they can compete. it's like sending out the 2nd and 3rd year all stars in the nba.

you don't think if these guys stayed in college, they couldn't compete in the international basketball as you claim?
    Against the Pau and Marc Gasols of the world? No way in hell....

Like I stated earlier, even giving the amateurs 3-4 solid years in college guarantees nothing in terms of NBA greatness. Remember Adam Morrison, Trajan Langdon, Christian Laettner (original Dream Teamer)? You can't just assume they all become the next Dwyane Wade or Carmelo Anthony.... even if they do, they inhabit a body that's often not even fully developed into their prime models, not to mention their vast inexperience.

They would never sniff another medal. That's the truth.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

what? you don't think karl-anthony towns could compete with the gasols? c'mon man.

Eddy Munny

what? you don't think karl-anthony towns could compete with the gasols? c'mon man.
    Ugh.... no, a team of really good collegians on average yields how many NBA all-stars? Three, if we're lucky?

Currently we send a roster of 100% NBA all-stars.

You do the math.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

lol ok if you truly think he can't compete with the gasols, this discussion is over.

Eddy Munny

It's not a matter of can he, but a matter of can they?

2 or 3 future NBA all-stars is not the same as 11-12 current NBA all-stars.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

if 5 nba roll players can compete with the us team, i'm pretty sure 2nd and 3rd year all star players can compete for gold in the international tourneys. besides, these young players would play harder defense compared to the veteran all stars they're sending out now.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

The only reason college players can't compete anymore is because of what has already been stated, the one and done phenomenon. The argument that staying in college does not guarantee stardom fails to see that a lot of players leaving college early really aren't ready for the NBA. 98% of all NBA superstars come from college, so if they stayed they certainly would be competitive. This notion that we have to follow every shyte hole country and send pros is ridiculous. There is a gap, but really not that big. International players are pros who play together all year and then mix in some NBA players. If that means they are catching up I really don't see it.

Eddy Munny

if 5 nba roll players can compete with the us team, i'm pretty sure 2nd and 3rd year all star players can compete for gold in the international tourneys. besides, these young players would play harder defense compared to the veteran all stars they're sending out now.

A team of collegians would not only be sacrificing talent and experience, but cohesion and chemistry. This is one of the main advantages international teams have to begin with, but replace seasoned vets with collegiate diaper-dandies, that have only a few weeks/months to get acclimated to one another, and you turn a marginal U.S. disadvantage into an insurmountable one.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

yeah because the 5 nba players for australia play with each other all year long.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

yeah because the 5 nba players for australia play with each other all year long.
    I agree with you on this, but international teams with 1 or 2 NBA guys do play together year round. I still think, as you stated, that real college juniors and seniors before the one and done thing could easily compete for gold in today's game. I think they should still play with college guys and go for it. In today's world there could be no Miracle on Ice event in any sport. That is why the Olympics are a joke when we send pros. We should get back to what the games stood for and let the other clowns send whoever they want.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

well since the communist countries like soviet union and yugoslavia no longer exist. banning pros from international basketball should be more entertaining. but what about all the other events? even in track, people like usain bolt get paid millions just to show up.

like you said, olympics is a joke nowadays...

Eddy Munny

International teams play together far more often. U.S. teams assemble strictly for the FIBA's and the Olympics.

It accounts for why U.S. always has stretches where they look out of sorts, deferring to the isolation-oriented NBA-style of play that doesn't always translate, while other nations generally have a better understanding of the team game and each player's role to that end.

For the umpteenth time... if Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Kyrie Irving, Paul George, Klay Thompson etc. can only defeat France by the skin of their teeth, what hope do you have of College all-star A, B, C, D, and E matching that? Don't you think a 3-point win by the former squad becomes something less desirable by the latter?

An entire team comprised of NBA all-stars down to the end of it's bench is now required to do what amateurs (who may have boasted only a few future NBA all-stars) did 25 years ago. That's a sure sign of basketball improvement on behalf of The World. Basic stuff here. I get the feeling you just like arguing though, regardless of what about.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

International teams play together far more often. U.S. teams assemble strictly for the FIBA's and the Olympics.

It accounts for why U.S. always has stretches where they look out of sorts, deferring to the isolation-oriented NBA-style of play that doesn't always translate, while other nations generally have a better understanding of the team game and each player's role to that end.

For the umpteenth time... if Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Kyrie Irving, Paul George, Klay Thompson etc. can only defeat France by the skin of their teeth, what hope do you have of College all-star A, B, C, D, and E matching that? Don't you think a 3-point win by the former squad becomes something less desirable by the latter?

An entire team comprised of NBA all-stars down to the end of it's bench is now required to do what amateurs (who may have boasted only a few future NBA all-stars) did 25 years ago. That's a sure sign of basketball improvement on behalf of The World. Basic stuff here. I get the feeling you just like arguing though, regardless of what about.
    lol i feel like you just like arguing without understanding my point of 5 nba bench players that rarely play together hanging with the us team argument. why is no one chiming in supporting your argument?

anyway, there's no point. whatever you or i say won't make a difference in future outcome.

Eddy Munny

lol i feel like you just like arguing without understanding my point of 5 nba bench players that rarely play together hanging with the us team argument. why is no one chiming in supporting your argument?

anyway, there's no point. whatever you or i say won't make a difference in future outcome.
    Why is no-one chiming in to support me? Lol, is that what's got you all lathered up and claiming some sort of victory? Be careful with that, you're venturing into Kermit territory and that's not a good look.

Nobody's chiming in because there's probably like five people reading this dead-as-a-doornail thread, and two of them are us.

Honestly, if we drag this shit out any further the 2020 Tokyo Olympics will be here.

Like I said many, many keystrokes ago... agree to disagree.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

i'm just saying, you're making it sound like i just like to argue with you but in reality, maybe it's you. just sayin'

let's put a fork in this debate or whatever you wanna call it.

Eddy Munny

i'm just saying, you're making it sound like i just like to argue with you but in reality, maybe it's you. just sayin'

let's put a fork in this debate or whatever you wanna call it.
    Fair enough. I'm just glad you finally came around and could admit that the gap has closed.

I feel like my job here is done.

Good night.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

Fair enough. I'm just glad you finally came around and could admit that the gap has closed.

I feel like my job here is done.

Good night.
    oh dear...

First ... 2345